Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Had a sudden drive to get the miata going couple weeks ago.

So it's back up and running. Drove it a little last weekend, and a good 80 miles this weekend. Fresh gas, changed oil and coolant, working on other fluids soon. Also going to put some fresh pads on it. New calipers in the back, and probably get some Falken Azenis RT615K+'s on the wheels. Oh and cleaning it. Didn't do a good job but good enough for me to want to drive it, lol. Thing looked like a barn find.

Kinda tempted to try to make one of the track night in America's this year at NOLA motorsports park. But then i'd have to put a roll bar on it. And for me that's not super simple, have to check that my head will clear it because I sure as heck don't want to hit my head on it lol. If it doesn't, then that means I have to get lower in the car. And that's difficult!! Should of bought a fun car with a roof LOL. 

It's almost Celica season. I know that excited feeling, every year

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

You seen this before? Code 34-05 power relay stuck off for EPS on a 14 Accord. @vetali

Should be a TSB to replace the EPS unit.

Edit: those were older accords. This one says to check for updates, if that doesn't fix it (never does btw) then replace EPS control unit.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

38 minutes ago, vetali said:

Should be a TSB to replace the EPS unit.

Edit: those were older accords. This one says to check for updates, if that doesn't fix it (never does btw) then replace EPS control unit.

Yeah that's what we sold. Never had a steering wheel with Parkinsons when it's touched lol. If there's not a core on the module I'll pop the old one open to see if I can see what failed, there's a constant -2V offset between actual input voltage and data voltage. Everything has great looking connectors with correct voltage along the way, those spades that Honda uses on those terminals are nice and big, GM could learn a thing or two there.

33 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yeah that's what we sold. Never had a steering wheel with Parkinsons when it's touched lol. If there's not a core on the module I'll pop the old one open to see if I can see what failed, there's a constant -2V offset between actual input voltage and data voltage. Everything has great looking connectors with correct voltage along the way, those spades that Honda uses on those terminals are nice and big, GM could learn a thing or two there.

There shouldn't be. Never really see Hondas with burnt up connectors unlike GM.

Had an HRV in today with the wipers stuck on high after the customer spilled coffee "in their dash". Attempted to get a more specific location from the advisor unsuccessfully because they are useless cretins. So I swapped a wiper switch from another HRV waiting on a transmission... still stuck. So now I actually start popping off panels and the MICU got completely soaked by coffee lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

49 minutes ago, vetali said:

Had an HRV in today with the wipers stuck on high after the customer spilled coffee "in their dash". Attempted to get a more specific location from the advisor unsuccessfully because they are useless cretins. So I swapped a wiper switch from another HRV waiting on a transmission... still stuck. So now I actually start popping off panels and the MICU got completely soaked by coffee lol.

sounds expensive

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Listen, even when you directly ask customers it's a real fuckin coin flip. You either get someone who's on point and will tell you exactly what you need to know, you'll get someone who will just agree with anything ANYTHING you say even if it's completely wrong just because they want to agree and sound like they know what they're talking about too, or you'll get someone who doesn't know and doesn't care until the bill comes then is very suddenly a mechanic and will tell you all the ways you did it wrong. You're almost better going in blind.

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

sounds expensive

It will be

30 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

sounds expensive

It was a $1k cup of coffee.

16 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Listen, even when you directly ask customers it's a real fuckin coin flip. You either get someone who's on point and will tell you exactly what you need to know, you'll get someone who will just agree with anything ANYTHING you say even if it's completely wrong just because they want to agree and sound like they know what they're talking about too, or you'll get someone who doesn't know and doesn't care until the bill comes then is very suddenly a mechanic and will tell you all the ways you did it wrong. You're almost better going in blind.

I've dealt with customers before. You can tell pretty fast if its a customer worth trying to pry for more information within 10 seconds of the interaction, and thats pretty generous. If they admit they spilled a cup of coffee on their dash rather than say "idk just started doing it lol", they can probably tell you specifically. Service advisors are just lazy.

2 hours ago, vetali said:

and the MICU got completely soaked by coffee lol.

Wtf where do you even put a cup of coffee on the dash?? It's not flat.

@vetali

What are the chances of having power steering without module programming, good enough to drive it to the dealer?

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

@vetali

What are the chances of having power steering without module programming, good enough to drive it to the dealer?

Shouldn't have to take it to the dealer. Just do EPS calibration and then VSA all sensor calibration.

@Bitter Falken's getting fitted to wheels for the miata tomorrow. 

Also, bit of an idiot moment for me. I ordered these- > https://949racing.com/product/949-racing-7075-forged-alloy-lugs-12x1-5-thread/ to replace my cheapo lugs for the Koenig wheels that have the paint all chipped up on them and look terrible (plus they are those spline-type ones, hate it, I just got it because I had to get something a long time ago). I get them in and I realize... holy crap these things are super light. They are aluminum! One part of me was cool, the other part was thinking putting aluminum lug nuts on steel studs does not sound ideal, and may actually be a horrible idea. What do you think?

Figured out the M2 sport bar from Hard Dog is fine for a track day, as long as you get the diagonal bracing (what y'all think, 1 or 2 diagonals? To me, 2 looks better and is a bit less in the way as far as raising the soft-top goes) https://trackdogracing.com/hd-m2sport-bp.aspx

Still need to get in the car, and measure if my head will clear though. 

And of course I'm forgetting, it gets freaking hot here. So it'll certainly need a bigger rad. The stock ones aren't enough for sustained track use, from what I understand.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Shouldn't have to take it to the dealer. Just do EPS calibration and then VSA all sensor calibration.

I'll see if our Snappy scan tool can do that, would be super nice since we're down to just two employees right now and one of them is the boss. Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it. Dealer said 'it's not listed as plug and play in the parts system so it needs programming' and service only heard 'program the thing' and spit out the flat rate price on it.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

@Bitter Falken's getting fitted to wheels for the miata tomorrow. 

Also, bit of an idiot moment for me. I ordered these- > https://949racing.com/product/949-racing-7075-forged-alloy-lugs-12x1-5-thread/ to replace my cheapo lugs for the Koenig wheels that have the paint all chipped up on them and look terrible (plus they are those spline-type ones, hate it, I just got it because I had to get something a long time ago). I get them in and I realize... holy crap these things are super light. They are aluminum! One part of me was cool, the other part was thinking putting aluminum lug nuts on steel studs does not sound ideal, and may actually be a horrible idea. What do you think?

Figured out the M2 sport bar from Hard Dog is fine for a track day, as long as you get the diagonal bracing (what y'all think, 1 or 2 diagonals? To me, 2 looks better and is a bit less in the way as far as raising the soft-top goes) https://trackdogracing.com/hd-m2sport-bp.aspx

Still need to get in the car, and measure if my head will clear though. 

And of course I'm forgetting, it gets freaking hot here. So it'll certainly need a bigger rad. The stock ones aren't enough for sustained track use, from what I understand.

Porsche ran (or maybe still runs) alloy lug nuts on steel studs. I don't think you'd want aluminum wheel studs lol. I think with alloy lug nuts you need twice the thread engagement for safety over steel? It's been a while. Some places might be picky about them for tech inspection though, best to ask ahead of time.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I'll see if our Snappy scan tool can do that, would be super nice since we're down to just two employees right now and one of them is the boss. Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it. Dealer said 'it's not listed as plug and play in the parts system so it needs programming' and service only heard 'program the thing' and spit out the flat rate price on it.

When in doubt, look up part replacement procedure. If it needs programming it will tell you at the end of the procedure. The snap on should be able to do it. Our Matco one works fine.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

When in doubt, look up part replacement procedure. If it needs programming it will tell you at the end of the procedure. The snap on should be able to do it. Our Matco one works fine.

I did, just says "Update the EPS control unit with the HDS if it does not have the latest software." which I interpreted as it could come without software but I guess since it's not a Volvo it's probably packing software onboard out of the box. Actual info about programming talks about HDS/MVCI and using that to update it and warns about overheating the EPS module. 🤷‍♂️ I'll figure it out tomorrow, tired of having no power steering in and out of the shop with the wheel shaking like Micheal J Fox.

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I did, just says "Update the EPS control unit with the HDS if it does not have the latest software." which I interpreted as it could come without software but I guess since it's not a Volvo it's probably packing software onboard out of the box. Actual info about programming talks about HDS/MVCI and using that to update it and warns about overheating the EPS module. 🤷‍♂️ I'll figure it out tomorrow, tired of having no power steering in and out of the shop with the wheel shaking like Micheal J Fox.

Honda is pretty good about having their stuff shipped up to date. 90% of the time its usually up to date. You used to be able to download the update software for free and as long as you have a J2534 compatible VCI it works. I don't know about currently. Honda has been really getting strict about that stuff lately.

Problem is that EPS unit has its own dedicated EPS rewrite software lol.

16 hours ago, vetali said:

Honda is pretty good about having their stuff shipped up to date. 90% of the time its usually up to date. You used to be able to download the update software for free and as long as you have a J2534 compatible VCI it works. I don't know about currently. Honda has been really getting strict about that stuff lately.

Worked perfectly, thank you tons.

On 3/2/2023 at 10:58 PM, vetali said:

I know I was frustrated when I had that cheap civic and killed the ecu thanks to that alternator bolt. As far as I knew, there was no way to reprogram a used ecu to the car. Had to tow it to the dealer, and I think they charged me $100 to do it. 

Ended up working out good though, had that car for 2 years I think? Hated every minute of it lol 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

I know I was frustrated when I had that cheap civic and killed the ecu thanks to that alternator bolt. As far as I knew, there was no way to reprogram a used ecu to the car. Had to tow it to the dealer, and I think they charged me $100 to do it. 

Ended up working out good though, had that car for 2 years I think? Hated every minute of it lol 

ECM is different. It does have to be programmed to the immobilizer on those.

Swapped in the green 2AZ-FE injectors last night, re-inspected my work before started it, all looked good at a glance. Fuel pump doesn't run until cranking so I had to crank and start it to check for any leaks. Smelled a slight amount of fresh fuel so I loosened the rail hold down bolts and one injector was pushed out of the rail. I'm going to get some better o-rings from work tomorrow, the ones I got with the seal kits are a little undersized. They seal but they don't seal good enough for me, some little fatter ones that I need to use grease and walk in with a circular shoving patter would be much better. Fuel leaks cause car fires. I don't like car fires. I don't mess around with fuel leaks on mine or customer cars. If it's leaking gas it's a death trap that can burn your house down.  Also I found a lower seal that got a little kinked when the rail got put down so all in all good thing to re-do the injector install. Car did idle and run fine, blipped a little throttle. Still snotty when cold but that's to be expected, it did however act much less snotty and got over the tip in flatness much faster. Might be able to drive it in a couple weeks.

I still can't get exact numbers on what these injectors are supposed to flow. I'm seeing numbers from 330CC to 360CC all the way up to 410CC at 50psi and 440 at 60psi. As far as I see my fuel pressure is between 44 and 50 PSI so I should be somewhere between 380 and 410. I guess the only REAL way to ever know is to do an injector flow rate test. However I'm not too clear on the standard procedure to test with so I may just let it be a mystery.

Saw the video title from Rich Rebuilds and had to check it out. Glad Steven is OK! wow...

I can't believe they saw the throttle cable how it was and left it. Kinda a bad call lol. 

Also interesting the way they documented the whole incident.

Spoiler

My S10 is the gift that keeps on giving. Fix one issue, or 5 of them in the recent case.... and the next just pops up. Haven't even driven it home from the shop since my Passport was fixed because its non stop issues. Can't wait to dump it.