Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I've replaced more Nissan AC compressors for dead clutches than other brands, tho Honda is a close second.

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I've replaced more Nissan AC compressors for dead clutches than other brands, tho Honda is a close second.

I've done so many CR-Vs.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

When you want a better engine but do the bare minimum to make it work in your platform.

IMG_20221024_170430.thumb.jpg.e5595c426ca308ea06e47aa378ac3af4.jpg

@vetali

We have a few that come in. They follow typical GM owner protocol for maintenance. Those timing belts can last 200k+

S10 only had to be my reliable transportation for like a month, and after 1.5 weeks its already trying to tap out. Fuel sender unit is AWOL. Cat got plugged on my way to work today so I test piped it until my new one gets in. Wiper motor cuts out randomly. Shit like this is why I don't like to own GM vehicles anymore.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Ya know what sucks. One day petrol/diesel cars will be banned because of "too much pollution".

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

25 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Ya know what sucks. One day petrol/diesel cars will be banned because of "too much pollution".

Problem is, there's no replacement for unpressurized, liquid fuel.  The logistics of it are hands down better than any alternative available.

4 hours ago, IPD said:

Problem is, there's no replacement for unpressurized, liquid fuel.  The logistics of it are hands down better than any alternative available.

sorry I don't understand. Can you put that in simpler words please?

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

I woudn't doubt it for a sec.
Right now I'm letting the vaccum pump do it's thing, the system when checked had basically no freon it in but after letting it sit for about 30 minutes after the inital vaccum was drawn, there was no indication of a leak.
So now I'm letting it draw a vaccum again to fully evacuate the system of any moisture or whatever, then it's onto adding freon and seeing if it works. Right now It looks like the low pressure switch was holding it off from turning on and that's a good thing.

Fill it up, see if it works and if so, that's probrably it but if not I'll deal as I have to.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

I woudn't doubt it for a sec.
Right now I'm letting the vaccum pump do it's thing, the system when checked had basically no freon it in but after letting it sit for about 30 minutes after the inital vaccum was drawn, there was no indication of a leak.
So now I'm letting it draw a vaccum again to fully evacuate the system of any moisture or whatever, then it's onto adding freon and seeing if it works. Right now It looks like the low pressure switch was holding it off from turning on and that's a good thing.

Fill it up, see if it works and if so, that's probrably it but if not I'll deal as I have to.

Usually I find them charged but the clutch is just an open circuit or super weak and unable to move the clutch plate to engage. Empty probably means leak somewhere, get a good UV flashlight like UVBeast from Amazon and happy hunting. Those lights are actually great for almost ANY leak, oil, coolant, trans,gear oil, etc even without adding dye. Hell you can use it at home for cleaning too but I don't recommend it, you'll be disgusted and never finish cleaning.

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Usually I find them charged but the clutch is just an open circuit or super weak and unable to move the clutch plate to engage. Empty probably means leak somewhere, get a good UV flashlight like UVBeast from Amazon and happy hunting. Those lights are actually great for almost ANY leak, oil, coolant, trans,gear oil, etc even without adding dye. Hell you can use it at home for cleaning too but I don't recommend it, you'll be disgusted and never finish cleaning.

I've added the oil and dye and now finalizing things to add the freon.
Had to do some real fuckery to get it in but it's there now and letting the vaccum pump do it's thing one more time because of it.

I do have a UV flashlight and goggles which is why I added the dye to it, as was it has no dye in it so all that would have been useless before.
Still need to add a sniffer to the tools I've got and will get one later. Had all this stuff years ago but after getting out of the automotive part of fixing things I either lost tools over time, something broke or I had loaned it out. 
I believe my brother has it and that's fine, as said I will get another and not loan this one out.

I can say no leaks were indicated earlier after it was drawn down to vaccum and sat for about 30-45 minutes in a neg pressure state.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

18 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

It's just the road trip thing. Is a car really a car if I can't take the "traditional" road trip in it? For example, if you want to go cross country, this is what your trip is going to look like, with every stop being 15-45 minutes to recharge! That's a decent amount of pit stops...

~snip~

I don't hate EVs. My only problem is that people praise EVs like they were hand delivered from God himself. 

This is not the case. Electric cars have SEVERE limitations, just doing my point to point them out, since this is a car discussion thread. 

Point being electric cars still have a long way to go before the platform can be considered "mature". 

Man, if you aren't a dishonest one. The "Road trip" map with the charging points that you decided to pick just happened to be one where they towed another car cross country. Go figure that they had to charge up every 100 miles or so.

Yes. ICE is still better for Cannonball runs across all of USA. But EV's still plenty good.

If you have an EV with a range of 300 miles and you want to drive 500 miles. Then guess what. You're very likely taking a break for food, restroom, and stretching either way. Meaning that you would have lost no amount of time charging up your vehicle while having your rest stop.

38 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

If you have an EV with a range of 300 miles and you want to drive 500 miles. Then guess what. You're very likely taking a break for food, restroom, and stretching either way. Meaning that you would have lost no amount of time charging up your vehicle while having your rest stop.

Nonsense, if you have an EV you must stop every 5 miles to charge the batteries regardless!

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

Man, if you aren't a dishonest one. The "Road trip" map with the charging points that you decided to pick just happened to be one where they towed another car cross country. Go figure that they had to charge up every 100 miles or so.

Yes. ICE is still better for Cannonball runs across all of USA. But EV's still plenty good.

LOL @ dishonest one. Sure buddy, whatever you have to say, it must be right. I was highlighting the approximate route w/ charging stations. 

Would you prefer we use this one instead?

image.png.93a6c3cef967123406344ff557ea8eed.png

image.png.f624bd43f39d3f7fb9d7e9534a40aa72.png

Also, there are numerous "horror" stories out there regarding people driving EV cars across country. Range Anxiety, fear of no fast chargers, which can take over 8 hours to charge your battery, by the way. But I'm sure you'll have an excuse, like oh well, I could be shopping at the grocery store for 8 hours, while my car charges up!

Better stay close to the major cities. Many remote villages / towns do NOT have fast chargers. That range anxiety is the silent killer!

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

18 minutes ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

LOL @ dishonest one. Sure buddy, whatever you have to say, it must be right. I was highlighting the approximate route w/ charging stations. 

Would you prefer we use this one instead?

~snip~

Also, there are numerous "horror" stories out there regarding people driving EV cars across country. Range Anxiety, fear of no fast chargers, which can take over 8 hours to charge your battery, by the way. But I'm sure you'll have an excuse, like oh well, I could be shopping at the grocery store for 8 hours, while my car charges up!

Better stay close to the major cities. Many remote villages / towns do NOT have fast chargers. That range anxiety is the silent killer!

Okay. I'll bite. What are the sources for those routes? Or did you just plot it out yourself?

The last one you showed. Was someone towing a trailer cross country with a Mustang using a Rivian R1T. Hence why they needed to stop every 100 miles or so to charge. It was a combined gross weight of 14,000+ lbs.

Here's the source for that. https://www.instagram.com/gideontherivian/

260273909_1025584868165301_7609754132483417279_n.jpg.44dc968faa708a7b9a4d275e5b1f6b61.jpg

Looks like we got a lot of people that tow 300 miles up hill in the snow both ways every day in here.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

-snip-

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Nonsense, if you have an EV you must stop every 5 miles to charge the batteries regardless!

Damn you might be right /s I never knew

So that may not look like much but that's with the plate JAMMED closed so hard it's bound up and needs several pounds of force to reopen. So to make sure I'm not stupid I took the stock stuff, I taped up the factory manifold ports, capped the other stuff, and smoked it. Stock throttle plate barely lets out any curls of smoke at all. Q45 throttle plate is loose on the shaft with tight screws, something is wrong with this throttle body and I'm not going to take it apart to try to figure out how this happened until I've got a replacement in hand. Either I bought a $200 part and I've fixed it or I bought a $200 part and it's still broken, but at least I'll have ruled out my loose floppy throttle plate as the possible issue.

I'm like you today, the compressor/clutch on mine is done.
The clutch doesn't do a thing and the cost of just the clutch itself is about the same as the compressor with it included, so there you go.

At least I know what I have to do now.

I need to check on my brakes and tires. I'm feeling a vibration when I'm traveling at around 70-80 kmh. And I noticed yesterday that the right rear side was hot after stopping and checking the vibration out.

Will swap to winter tires soon. So will be a good time to check all of that. 

On 10/25/2022 at 1:07 AM, IPD said:

On 10/25/2022 at 5:14 AM, PcBeExpensive said:

sorry I don't understand. Can you put that in simpler words please?

I don't really know how I could have said that more succinctly.  Any alternative fuel that is pressurized (hydrogen, CNG, etc) creates problems in the case of a collision.  Hydrogen is also exceptionally inefficient unless you are pressurizing extremely high levels.

Electricity (Fast charging) requires expensive DC converter equipment at each charging location.

Meanwhile, Gasoline, Diesel and e85 don't require anything other than the existing infrastructure that our transportation grid has had in place for decades. 

Here we are arguing about EV's, but there will come a time where we look back and wonder how we forgot to just have fun.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

34 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Here we are arguing about EV's, but there will come a time where we look back and wonder how we forgot to just have fun.

We? Like 2 people keep bringing it up. Truly the dumbest arc of the thread since Terry asked the redacted question.

Who else agrees that EVs are useless?? They are mostly getting charged by fossil fuels and shit.

My First PC

27 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Who else agrees that EVs are useless?? They are mostly getting charged by fossil fuels and shit.

If the goal is "go green, man" then yes, it's a moronic idea. 

If the goal is to have something with less maintenance or hassle than a conventional IC engine (and only to be used for shorter distances) then I feel this is a valid use.  If this were not the case, electric bicycles wouldn't be a burgeoning industry right now.