Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

56 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

.................what does that have to do with anything?

We were discussing vtec with twin scroll turbos right before being interrupted by an impulsive pointless debater.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Soon ™️ 👀

IMG_20220910_154136.jpg

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

11 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

First thing that came to mind is the people loading cargo wrong and breaking their glass like this

Rear Window / Back Glass Replacement | Crestview, FL

When I had my civic I loaded an engine hoist in it. Was a big fear of mine lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

30 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Ah yes, gasoline cars never ever catch fire either...riiiiiiiiiight....

To be fair, car-B-que is almost always a truck that's been beat to hell for 30 years, or some ungodly expensive exotic made by italians that was engineered poorly (eg. Ferrari).

It doesn't happen to 5 year old Ford Fusions as a general rule.

4 hours ago, IPD said:

To be fair, car-B-que is almost always a truck that's been beat to hell for 30 years, or some ungodly expensive exotic made by italians that was engineered poorly (eg. Ferrari).

It doesn't happen to 5 year old Ford Fusions as a general rule.

https://www.motorsafety.org/gm-issues-second-recall-for-chevrolet-silverados-and-gmc-sierras-over-fire-risk/ 2017-2019 Duramax trucks recalled for fire risk.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/gm-recalls-1-4m-older-vehicles-fire-risk-after-earlier-n452361 1.4 million 1997-2004 models recalled for fire risk.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/280000-hyundai-kia-vehicles-are-recalled-fears-catching-fire-parked-rcna44409 2020+ Hyundai/Kias.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41053106/ford-expedition-lincoln-navigator-fire-recall/ 2015-2017 Expedition/Navigators.

That one time that dude caught his Demon on fire: https://www.motor1.com/news/276844/dodge-demon-catches-fire-hell/

Like you said, it's down to poor engineering or manufacturing defects, but EVs aren't the only cars that suffer from those problems.

You can also mitigate most of the issues with an IC engined vehicle catching fire--if you have a fire extinguisher.  The danger is only present when the engine is hot /has been running.

An EV can catch fire any time the battery packs decide they aren't going to abide normal operating principles.  And good luck trying to extinguish it when that happens.  That's why virtually every Tesla fire has been a total loss--rather than something contained to the engine bay and requiring a rebuild in that area alone.  Not too long ago there was a story about a Tesla that kept igniting itself in a junkyard, and they had to actually leave the car submerged to keep it from doing that.

3 hours ago, IPD said:

You can also mitigate most of the issues with an IC engined vehicle catching fire--if you have a fire extinguisher.  The danger is only present when the engine is hot /has been running.

An EV can catch fire any time the battery packs decide they aren't going to abide normal operating principles.  And good luck trying to extinguish it when that happens.  That's why virtually every Tesla fire has been a total loss--rather than something contained to the engine bay and requiring a rebuild in that area alone.  Not too long ago there was a story about a Tesla that kept igniting itself in a junkyard, and they had to actually leave the car submerged to keep it from doing that.

Yes right on the money. We need to do more research and spend time familiarizing ourselves with Tesla/EV battery fires, because they can be very difficult to put out. Case in point:

An electric car fire is like 'a trick birthday candle' — and a nightmare for firefighters (yahoo.com)

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

We all know he bought Twitter by now surely? - Imgflip

Heretofore electric cars will be referred to by a new name. Trick Candles. 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

Most new cars are total losses when they catch fire, rarely have I seen a car fire where there was any way to repair the vehicle for less than the cost of replacing the vehicle. I've done wire harness replacements on 2 vehicles that had wire harness fire/melting and both cars were so old that there wasn't an equivalent vehicle to replace them with (late 80's Ford LTD and early 90's Cutlass Calais). Any other vehicle I've seen with fire damage was just immediately written off because it's a headache and liability for the insurance company  much like flood damage. If a car fire hits the gas tank it will go up very similarly to a battery fire with the exception that fire crews are better versed in handling fuel fires. As BEV's become more wide spread so too will the ability to fight the inevitable fires that take place.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ah yes, gasoline cars never ever catch fire either...riiiiiiiiiight....

The ratio of cars that actually catch fire is much higher with an EV.

Major risk factors. Batteries can also explode, wouldn't want to go through something like that sitting atop a potentially unstable battery. Just look at the 787 Dreamliner. 

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Chad size intake pipe.

indexeryh.jpg

Twins 🙂

7,189 Supercharged Engine Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images -  iStock

The result? Hybrid-powered cars were involved in about 3,475 fires per every 100,000 sold. Gasoline-powered cars, about 1,530. Electric vehicles (EVs) saw just 25 fires per 100,000 sold.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-electric-vehicles-involved-in-fewest-car-fires/

3 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

The ratio of cars that actually catch fire is much higher with an EV.

You're sure about this? I think it's that you hear about it more because they're the new thing.

According to a recent report from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), vehicle fires accounted for 15% of the 1.4 million fires that took place in the US in 2020, and those fires contributed to 18% of civilian deaths and 11% of the civilian injuries. EV fires? About 0.02% of the US fire total.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/government-data-shows-gasoline-vehicles-are-significantly-more-prone-to-fires-than-evs/

https://www.renolon.com/electric-car-fire-statistics/ Some more bigger numbers here, looks like overall car fires are trending downward despite more cars being on the road driving more miles. I think we can thank tighter government involvement with forcing recalls for that.

3 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

boeing dreamliner lithium battery

The battery that grounded Boeing (cnn.com)

The battery fires have the potential to bring down a full loaded airliner as well. 

So can bad software, weather, pilot error, bird strike, etc. All are far more likely to be an issue than a backup battery pack. Boeing made a poor choice in chemistry using a lithium cobalt oxide battery, a chemistry that's never been used in automotive. I'd say the root cause of the Boeing fires was a lack of tighter FAA oversight in the design of the plane because I can't fathom that the engineering team at Boeing didn't recognize the risk but chose it because of the cost, weight, and packaging savings of a higher density battery pack. How that danger slipped through the cracks I don't know but the FAA is too buddy-buddy with the airline industry it's designed to oversee.

mechanical things catch on fire occasionally. that's news? 

That's just a cost we accept. And insure ourselves for lol. If you want to go back to horse and buggy, be my guest. I'll take my slight risk of fiery death in exchange for getting somewhere a bit quicker and easier.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

26 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

mechanical things catch on fire occasionally. that's news? 

That's just a cost we accept. And insure ourselves for lol. If you want to go back to horse and buggy, be my guest. I'll take my slight risk of fiery death in exchange for getting somewhere a bit quicker and easier.

I bet buggies had fires too, lamps and friction. Barns catch fire a lot, maybe horses are arsonists.

BOSH! CARRIAGE FIRE. SUCK IT!

https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/social-relevance/video-grooms-horse-carriage-catches-fire-556855.html

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I feel like there's an easier way to say this but it's on the tip of my brain

scratches chin

Immigration and Customs Enforcement?

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

So can bad software, weather, pilot error, bird strike, etc. All are far more likely to be an issue than a backup battery pack. Boeing made a poor choice in chemistry using a lithium cobalt oxide battery, a chemistry that's never been used in automotive. I'd say the root cause of the Boeing fires was a lack of tighter FAA oversight in the design of the plane because I can't fathom that the engineering team at Boeing didn't recognize the risk but chose it because of the cost, weight, and packaging savings of a higher density battery pack. How that danger slipped through the cracks I don't know but the FAA is too buddy-buddy with the airline industry it's designed to oversee.

Yeah they did the same thing with the rear cargo door on the DC-10. A couple serious and deadly crashes occurred because the door would sometimes not fully close but could still be locked into place with enough force that the light would go off and everything would appear sound and locked.... At higher altitudes the door would simply give out and you would have a terrible and rapid decompression. When this happened, the floor would buckle and sever control lines going to the rear engine and the wings, elevators and tail. The "gentlemen's" agreement was that McDonnell Douglas would fix the doors over the coming months instead of grounding the entire fleet of DC-10s to have the rear cargo door fixed before it caused another crash. They never did. Consequently, this decision led to horrific loss of life on a Turkish Airlines DC-10. I think for a number of years it was the most lethal accident in aviation history, nobody survived, obviously. But the sub-contractor who actually built the door is who I blame the most. Talk about a flimsy design, it's no wonder that Convair cooked it up and probably cut corners as much as they could to maximize profits. Never liked Convairs airplanes or their attributes.

random weird question; has anyone ever tried putting a (hydraulic) torque converter instead of a clutch in front of a manual transmission? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I bet buggies had fires too, lamps and friction. Barns catch fire a lot, maybe horses are arsonists.

BOSH! CARRIAGE FIRE. SUCK IT!

https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/social-relevance/video-grooms-horse-carriage-catches-fire-556855.html

LOL but this should be slightly safer:

May be an image of text that says 'Tesla Announced New Model for California 2035'

Obligatory car on fire picture 😅

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I feel like there's an easier way to say this but it's on the tip of my brain

scratches chin

ICE