Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Damn bro your misfires are kinda wild ngl

Guess I really do need to step it down to 89...

New spark plugs for the sleeper civic 🙂

Next upgrade will be liquid to air intercooler

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Hood

Old spark plugs (A/F looks really good, you can tell by the "coffee" color on the electrode)

Automotive tire Microphone Household hardware Audio equipment Nickel

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

17 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Man I miss that we don’t really get one off Yamaha/cosworth/etc engines that are total screamers anymore 

Not that it makes sense to put them into any modern cars really. Except maybe the brz or Miata or something lol 

I know, right? I'd live to put a turbocharged SHO engine in an S2000. That would be totally sick. Obviously, it would have more HP than a stock motor, lots more. 

Some swaps:

festiva engine swap finals.. | SHO Forum

LOL

Rad Racer — SWAPPED: Geo Metro - Ford SHO Mid-Engine

B3000 SHO swap | The Ranger Station

finiahed2-1.jpg

Customs - Henry J Convertible? | The H.A.M.B. | Engineering, Ford racing  engines, Performance engines

8 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Vtec on one valve? WDYM? Are you talking about one of the 2 valves per cylinder? Only one valve on one cylinder? 

Also, I see no recalls from Honda, if it isn't capable of handling the HRV stock, how come Honda hasn't done anything?

image.png.b01854ec7c02f654a64cd23bf26266ff.png

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10196765-0001.pdf

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

15 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

New spark plugs for the sleeper civic 🙂

Like the car and all, but that's far from a sleeper.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

13 hours ago, vetali said:

This engine is at "high load" 90% of the time I'm driving due to the route my parents force me to take. If I took the highway it would be fine-ish. And probably would be at "cruise valve timing". Although I had no idea it could control each valve individually, I thought it just enabled a different cam profile all at once.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:46 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

I always thought the higher octane fuel was a waste of money, until yesterday/today. I put 93 in my poor HR-V, and the difference brings a tear to my eye. In a car starving for low end torque, ANY power increasement is noticeable, and I'm pretty sure my car hadn't had anything but 87 in it since it was produced. I love this. I don't have to floor the thing to get it to go 40 (not an exaggeration). The websites that talk about the 0-60 claim 7 seconds... The fastest I got was 10. I'll have to retest with the higher octane, but I expect 9.5-9 secs. Nothin' crazy, but a noticeable improvement. 

Also...

https://www.turbokits.com/tsi-extreme-turbo-kit-hc2504e.html

only $4k... But it includes everything except fuel injectors, new fuel rail and fuel pump.

On 9/22/2022 at 8:31 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

Kinda, I really only need 89. My engine has a 10.5:1 compression ratio. Although I know for a fact that it is faster, mostly because when "vtec kicks in" the car is a LOT louder than it was previously, I used to barely be able to tell the difference in acceleration. Now the entire car pulses with fire and brimstone as I wring the poor thing out.

10.5:1 was the same as the N/A 6g72 (and many other engines)--all of which say "premium unleaded fuel".  So yeah, of course you should see a difference when you're running off 93 octane vs 87 or even 89.  The ECU won't pull timing for the low quality fuel.

This is the same reason why tuners actually fans of E85, while the layperson still thinks it's shit.  Tuners know it's 110 octane, so essentially cheap race gas.  That probably translates into 20-21+ PSI of boost without additives to fight knock--vs. 16-18 PSI with 93 octane. 

3 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

This engine is at "high load" 90% of the time I'm driving due to the route my parents force me to take. If I took the highway it would be fine-ish. And probably would be at "cruise valve timing". Although I had no idea it could control each valve individually, I thought it just enabled a different cam profile all at once.

... it can't. It only controls one intake valve per cylinder, and all at once. What you define as high load != what the PCM defines as high load.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

3 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Life Pro Tip (and this goes for me too, I have the same problem): ask more questions and make less statements. 

Especially if your statements go off of an assumption; it'll help if you ask it as a question instead of saying it just in case you're wrong. 

i.e.: My car tire is square.    versus:  Aren't car tires square?

this is an extreme example of course, but in the case of the statement I can sound like a fool. People will ignore me; dismiss me as if I'm a "flat earther" and as a result; I won't learn anything.  Whereas in the question form; it's easier for people to correct me and actually learn if I'm wrong.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

What does the PCM define as high load then? 

image.png.67f8b4e9747809db6c33810d04d972d4.png

7 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Like the car and all, but that's far from a sleeper.

I know. I'm changing the front clip and removing the front intercooler. That will go next to the battery in the engine bay. It's not there yet, but it's getting there.

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Where's the graph that compares all those points of data smh

7 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Where's the graph that compares all those points of data smh

Right below it, but I am not gonna post the whole service manual. Especially because its a picture of what I posted. There is no data values.

17 minutes ago, vetali said:

What's the engine load signal, as in, how can it tell that it is under load? And doesn't Vtec turn on when the engine hits a certain RPM? 

6 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

What's the engine load signal, as in, how can it tell that it is under load? And doesn't Vtec turn on when the engine hits a certain RPM? 

It is a calculation done in the PCM based on multiple inputs and no, not this design.

Direct injection and variable valve timing let engines run crazy static and dynamic compression ratios with lower octane fuels because fuel is only introduced very late into the compression stroke bypassing low octane fuels self ignition due to high compression as the piston comes up to TDC. But I'm sure @DANK_AS_gaynknows this already.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

It is a calculation done in the PCM based on multiple inputs and no, not this design.

Honda really is still riding that Vtec high from all those years ago even though Vtec on most of their lineup isn't what the general motoring public thinks of as Vtec.

18 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Direct injection and variable valve timing let engines run crazy static and dynamic compression ratios with lower octane fuels because fuel is only introduced very late into the compression stroke bypassing low octane fuels self ignition due to high compression as the piston comes up to TDC. But I'm sure @DANK_AS_gaynknows this already.

Would be valid if it was a DI motor.

14 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Honda really is still riding that Vtec high from all those years ago even though Vtec on most of their lineup isn't what the general motoring public thinks of as Vtec.

Mine is, and it works as VCM as well!

The newer turbo engines are using vtec on the exhaust valves like the last gen type r. I haven't looked if its just cam phasing or if its variable lift. The new civics I drove really have a better punch from a dig vs my old one. I think thats mostly due to a better CVT than anything. Should be getting new CR-Vs in a few weeks. Well, two of them. After that is a question mark because Honda is still sending us 2 cars a week. We've got like 7 new civics that all sold instantly since last June and 2 new HR-Vs that also sold instantly. I think we're back down to 3 new cars on the lot.

25 minutes ago, vetali said:

The newer turbo engines are using vtec on the exhaust valves like the last gen type r

IIRC its only at lower RPMs in order to increase torque on those engines too

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I just assumed it was a DI engine, CVT still allows higher CR with lower octane tho because magic. The 6G72 was built on 1980's tech.

Meguiars #7 glaze is magical stuff on old paint. This is 1964 paint that's been sitting in a garage since 1991. 

No machine or abrasive, rub on rub off with terry cloth then hand polish with a microfiber cloth. A shade darker and high gloss. 

IMG_20220923_162424.jpg

IMG_20220923_162436.jpg