Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

11 hours ago, Derkoli said:

What kinda week you got there?

No driving on Sundays, that's the American day we all go out and shoot bibles or something idk.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

No driving on Sundays, that's the American day we all go out and shoot bibles or something idk.

I heard it was schools these days

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

11 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I heard it was schools these days

No, that's the 5 middle days of the week.

15 minutes ago, Bitter said:

No, that's the 5 middle days of the week.

Makes more sense actually 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Does the Touareg have the biggest single lead acid battery you can get in a car? 110Ah lol 

anyone know what is the biggest in any production car? Apparently that’s hard to “just search for” on the internet 

12FAA268-652C-4FDE-9A1F-B90AF295D7B0.jpeg

also why does this forum auto rotate images it’s so infuriating. I double check they are oriented right on my phone and the forum is like NOPE let’s flip that 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I think there's one size larger, I've put some absolute units into high end Jag and Mercedes over the years. Pretty sure the batteries were over 100lbs in those cars because I was struggling to get them in and out without slipping.

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

RV's probably have bigger...

I wouldn't count that as a 'car', I think he meant car, SUV, CUV, non commercial truck.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

I wouldn't count that as a 'car', I think he meant car, SUV, CUV, non commercial truck.

Well I still consider Class B to be "car" size vehicles. 

2 hours ago, IPD said:

Well I still consider Class B to be "car" size vehicles. 

Ambulance sized vans aren't really card sized anymore lol, I'd consider them more a commercial sized vehicle. Being an upfitted vehicle as well they don't run a stock electrical system and auxiliary non OE batteries probably fall outside what he's talking about. His 95R is the largest BCI battery size, I think I was mistaken about a size larger than that. Once you get outside BCI 'standard' sizes you're into heavy duty and marine batteries and something like an 8D is pretty much the go-to for 'big-ass battery'. Huge reserve capacity and very large CCA as well, but also very big and very heavy.

Wonder what size a Vanagon came with.  Or an N200.  or a Sprinter.

Imagine buying and driving whatever you want... Silly people, thinking they can outrun the fun police. Nah nah nah

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

31 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Imagine buying and driving whatever you want... Silly people, thinking they can outrun the fun police. Nah nah nah

Tell that to the gatekeepers.

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Yeah, I base my purchase decisions purely on the opinion of bus riders in car threads.

My LS swapped twin turbo miata with no other modifications is indeed better than any Porsche shitbox

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

My LS swapped twin turbo miata with no other modifications is indeed better than any Porsche shitbox

Well it certainly cost less....

52 minutes ago, IPD said:

Well it certainly cost less....

by the time you build out a miata with everything you need for it to handle a twin turbo LS I promise you the porsche is cheaper.

and the miata will still have traction issues

The entire drivetrain is too weak to handle an LS, much less a twin turbo one. It's all gotta go

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I did a bit of testing again and confirmed I'll have to completely redo the brakes in the Sprint, even the brake lines so that's something I'll have to deal with when the times comes.
I do have the tools to do it all, including cutting the lines, bending and flaring them but I'm still not looking foward to it - And will probrably need to pull the trans too due to what looks like a leaky torque converter/front pump seal.

Lots of fun ahead for sure. 😒

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

by the time you build out a miata with everything you need for it to handle a twin turbo LS I promise you the porsche is cheaper.

The entire drivetrain is too weak to handle an LS, much less a twin turbo one. It's all gotta go

Chuck Mallett did all the legwork to put a smallblock into a Solstice--which is damn near the size of a miata.  Granted, not twin-turbo--but that wasn't really the point.  Not even of the Shelby Cobra; the intent there was "Biggest engine in smallest car".

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18201744/mallett-ls2-v-8-solstice-specialty-file/

p.s.

My issue with Porsche is they are too big for their own good.  They used to make a quality product at a higher-end-but-not-unreasonable price.  But in the past 20 years or so, they've gone all FOMO and decided to start mimicking all of the worst traits exhibited by supercar competition.

The difference between the driving experience of a Porsche, and a much more down-to-earth priced car like a MK5 Supra or something--is exponentially into diminishing returns.  Just like Maserati is trying to do--Porsche is trying to gain panache by going upscale and pricing itself out of the market.

The beginning of the end for me, was the mid 1990s, when the 928 and 968 both were axed.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:51 AM, IPD said:

Wonder what size a Vanagon came with.  Or an N200.  or a Sprinter.

Could look it up on a battery website.

65 Fairlane running a 289 with a mild cam, down pipes, intake manifold and 4 barrel AVS2 carb. It's been a long term project, not even close to done but at least it's up and running now. Radiator and heater core need a good flush out now that the hot coolant has loosened up all the old mud. Then steering/suspension, brakes, tires.

9 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

But youtube said a LS is 500 dollars and takes 10 minutes to swap!!!1

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

So the other day pulling the turbo off a Saturn Sky I dropped my favorite ratchet, my Matco BFR8T. It hit the ground, popped open, and I'm missing the tiny spring that pushes the pawl up against the gear. Emailed Matco about the rebuild kit being out of stock and no distributors in the area, they emailed back to get my address to just send me a whole new BFR88 which is the newer model of the same ratchet. Awesome, especially since I found this ratchet under the hood of a stick shift 1st gen Toyota Rav4 lodged between trans and slave cylinder like 10yrs ago. That's some good customer service there!

Interesting, my Matco ratchet blew apart unbolting a drivers side airbag. Snap ring popped out and lost a few parts. Matco is one of the only distributors we have left here. Snap on guys don't stick around more than a few weeks here. Gives me enough time to get my warranties in lol. Mac guy retired.

22 minutes ago, vetali said:

But youtube said a LS is 500 dollars and takes 10 minutes to swap!!!1

Don’t we all wish lol 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Interesting, my Matco ratchet blew apart unbolting a drivers side airbag. Snap ring popped out and lost a few parts. Matco is one of the only distributors we have left here. Snap on guys don't stick around more than a few weeks here. Gives me enough time to get my warranties in lol. Mac guy retired.

Similar, the snap ring jumped out when it hit the floor. I caught the ring trying to dislodge itself the day before when I grabbed it off my box and had noticed the ring was moving around to different locations on it's own which isn't something it had ever done before. I might put a little dab of silicone sealer or blue loctite on the new ratchet to help hold the snap ring from relocating itself over time.