Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Inspection won't throw a fit that the VIN doesn't match what's in the vehicle?

My state requires inspections but they are $20 and consist of someone walking to your car and just putting a new sticker on the windshield and telling you to have a good day 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Inspection won't throw a fit that the VIN doesn't match what's in the vehicle?

Ha. No.

I will add the 6MT to the VO and recode the whole car, so all modules will be as if the trans was always manual-- no error codes.

Does any country care if the transmission is not what was originally there? I've manual swapped 5 different cars, and that never even crossed my mind...

Europe and Japan tend to be a bit strict, I hear Germany is really bad. You need approval papers for everything that wasn't as it came from the factory, or so I've been told.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Europe and Japan tend to be a bit strict, I hear Germany is really bad. You need approval papers for everything that wasn't as it came from the factory, or so I've been told.

I know of several manual swapped CSLs  in England that have no issues, and at least one e61 M5.

12 hours ago, Obioban said:

I know of several manual swapped CSLs  in England that have no issues, and at least one e61 M5.

Yeah we don't care here as long as it meets MOT standards. 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 3/24/2022 at 12:47 PM, Obioban said:

Yeah, I have no interest in owning any sort of automatics.

That said, this swap should be every bit as viable in the UK as the USA-- it's an e9X M3 trans I'm sticking in it (same trans only the e9X has a fluid pump for a trans cooler-- I'm just blocking that off).

I'd  100% consider a swap now but when I had mine they were still very new, the e9x wasn't even out yet, so I just got the best E39 I could find instead.

Pete

7 hours ago, 711jrp said:

I'd  100% consider a swap now but when I had mine they were still very new, the e9x wasn't even out yet, so I just got the best E39 I could find instead.

It's absurd how different cars the e60 M5 and e39 M5 are (I have both). 

28 minutes ago, Obioban said:

It's absurd how different cars the e60 M5 and e39 M5 are (I have both). 

For sure the E60 is quite a departure from the E39, it's like the whole design philosophy changed. I also have a E61 535d that shares daily duty with a v10 Treg and I can't fault those two at all, sadly I'm going to be forced to get rid of the E61 due to new emission laws coming here next year. 

Pete

2 hours ago, 711jrp said:

For sure the E60 is quite a departure from the E39, it's like the whole design philosophy changed. I also have a E61 535d that shares daily duty with a v10 Treg and I can't fault those two at all, sadly I'm going to be forced to get rid of the E61 due to new emission laws coming here next year. 

Can you elaborate on that last part? I’m curious 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

49 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Can you elaborate on that last part? I’m curious 

Sure

In a nutshell local government here in London are planning on rolling out ULEZ which is the ultra low emission zone across the whole of London early next year. This means any none blue motion Diesel cars and older petrol cars will have to pay a daily charge to use them. To use an old diesel per day will cost me £15 ($19.79) congestion charge plus a ulez charge £12.50 ($16.49) that's before I even get into the fuel cost which was £166 ($218) today to fill up the Treg

IMG_0343.JPG

Pete

48 minutes ago, 711jrp said:

Sure

In a nutshell local government here in London are planning on rolling out ULEZ which is the ultra low emission zone across the whole of London early next year. This means any none blue motion Diesel cars and older petrol cars will have to pay a daily charge to use them. To use an old diesel per day will cost me £15 ($19.79) congestion charge plus a ulez charge £12.50 ($16.49) that's before I even get into the fuel cost which was £166 ($218) today to fill up the Treg

-snip-

$20 a day because you drive an old car that won’t be on the road really all that much longer. Smh 

why can’t they just develop new things and let the old things naturally go away? Lol 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

$20 a day because you drive an old car that won’t be on the road really all that much longer. Smh 

why can’t they just develop new things and let the old things naturally go away? Lol 

image.jpeg.238a3b8c6fa13e4697badd08a13f8f8e.jpeg

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

In truth admitting I'm a cynical guy I think they know a a big percentage of people won't be able to afford to upgrade and will just have to pay the charge, It's just a cash grab.

Pete

K so how much is my warranty paying and can I drive it for the weekend?

BleepingComputer: Honda bug lets a hacker unlock and start your car via replay attack. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/honda-bug-lets-a-hacker-unlock-and-start-your-car-via-replay-attack/

I guess Honda needs some new IT guys. I mean come on, even garage door openers have had rolling codes for almost 20 years.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

BleepingComputer: Honda bug lets a hacker unlock and start your car via replay attack. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/honda-bug-lets-a-hacker-unlock-and-start-your-car-via-replay-attack/

I guess Honda needs some new IT guys. I mean come on, even garage door openers have had rolling codes for almost 20 years.

They've been able to get most of the key-less BMW's an VW's using a laptop over here for quite a while. I'm no expert by any means but from what I understand the laptop doesn't grab  a code and send it, it acts as a range extender so the key performs a handshake with the car even though it is still in the house.

Pete

1 hour ago, 711jrp said:

They've been able to get most of the key-less BMW's an VW's using a laptop over here for quite a while. I'm no expert by any means but from what I understand the laptop doesn't grab  a code and send it, it acts as a range extender so the key performs a handshake with the car even though it is still in the house.

Yep, that's totally a thing that happens here all the time with Chrysler products. The Dodge SRT cars get stolen ALL THE TIME like this.

Time to go back to sticking your key in the door and turning it 

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

That's what I do and I have a remote.
I can unlock and open the door about as fast as I can with the remote anyway so I don't bother with it.

It's also annoying the remote I've got has a hair-trigger panic button, that being the biggest reason I leave it at home.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

30 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Sadly not really an option on some newer cars, the key hole is only on the driver door, the key is latched into the FOB and sometimes has no way to keep it separate of the FOB (no hole for a ring), and often the key hole is covered by a trim exposing a very ugly lock cylinder with no trimming around it. AND you still need to have the FOB to start the car if it's keyless ignition. What we need is simply for the people who engineer these systems to not pick the absolute bottom bargain bin basement fire sale laziest ways of implementing them. It's not hard to do rolling codes, it's not hard to do basic security with a handshake between the FOB and car, it's not hard to make it a passive system that's harder to skim because of the shorter range if you're not going to do full distance RKE. It's not like there aren't wireless comms protocols designed for this stuff that are fairly secure. Can they be cracked and bypassed, sure yes anything can eventually but the concept is to make the car secure enough to be theft deterrent while it's still a viable target for modern theft, as in it's still new enough that there's profit in stealing it to strip for parts. None of these things are new technology or particularly unknown or particularly expensive. They're just that fucking lazy and cheap. And their response to it...ooooohhh that really burns my britches. "yeah we don't care". GM didn't care until insurance companies started raising rates on GM cars in the 80's which pushed GM to implement VATS and make them harder to steal. It's a really round-a-bout way to do things and harms the consumer initially but it worked.

Long time no post.

Here's an update on my 1927 model T restoration. 

The engine came nicely together and now sits in the frame, looking so good.

20220313_192521.thumb.jpg.876bea496c2fe84d31a86214658eb066.jpg

Most recently I installed kevlar linings on the transmission bands and installed them on the transmission drums.

20220326_161641.thumb.jpg.490567d969d129a6cfcc9205345fd9f0.jpg

20220326_180558.thumb.jpg.06d8cd1ea275d05fc82bc811a51b4b64.jpg

Drums from bottom to top, brake drum (big one), low speed drum in the middle and  reverse drum at top.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

4 minutes ago, Oskar94a said:

Long time no post.

Most recently I installed kevlar linings on the transmission bands and installed them on the transmission drums.

20220326_161641.thumb.jpg.490567d969d129a6cfcc9205345fd9f0.jpg

Drums from bottom to top, brake drum (big one), low speed drum in the middle and  reverse drum at top.

Careful now, might snap someones neck shifting with those clutch bands.

4 hours ago, Oskar94a said:

Long time no post.

New post, yay

On 3/25/2022 at 5:15 PM, 711jrp said:

Interestingly, I feel like the e39 was actually the outlier. The e28 and e34 have more in common with the driving characteristics of the e60 than the e39 IMO.

At least engine and chassis wise. Clearly the SMG was a departure on the e60.

... and then F10 shit the bed and I don't care about anything they make anymore 😛

More trackday goodness with these 2. Hoping to have mine ready for Anglesey in August.

IMG_20220329_102537_303.jpg

IMG_20220329_102537_352.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h