Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 3/11/2022 at 8:27 AM, caraboose said:

Most plug and engine companies recommend no anti size. 

What about high-temp anti-seize? Would that be fine?

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I really like the Conti DWS, the current iteration is a big step up from the previous versions but I'm not sure it's in your size. If the wheel width allows a "+0” size might be available. Can't stray too far from original diameter since it throws off speedo and odo readings. For +0 you'd be like 205/55R15 maybe, check a tire size calculator to check it's within a couple % of stock. Also that's why you need to know width, might be too wide to safely mount on current wheels. Not a lot of good 15" tires around. Might be worth it to grab a set of 16" wheels used off a later Mazda, pretty sure the 3 wheels fit your car? I'm running 16" 6 wheels on my 626 to clear the 6 front brakes and give me better tire size options, nothing in the original size that's outstanding. 

Yeah that's the sucky situation I'm in, since my car is four lug. I was hoping to have had switched out to five lug last summer but that didn't work out with some family emergencies lol. I'm definitely going to be switching it sometime, but I can't drive on these tires much longer I don't want to risk an accident or something.

When I do that swap it'll definitely be getting the better brakes from the 6, and an engine swap will be following haha. Just gotta graduate college first 😆

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

3 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

Yeah that's the sucky situation I'm in, since my car is four lug. I was hoping to have had switched out to five lug last summer but that didn't work out with some family emergencies lol. I'm definitely going to be switching it sometime, but I can't drive on these tires much longer I don't want to risk an accident or something.

When I do that swap it'll definitely be getting the better brakes from the 6, and an engine swap will be following haha. Just gotta graduate college first 😆

I mean in that situation any tire is a good tire lol. Can't be driving around on BAT's.

15 hours ago, Beef Boss said:

Washed up my car and thought I'd post a picture here. Definitely due for some new tires, not to spark any controversy but any recommendations? Runs a 195 r15 not sure a good sidewall height I have a 55 on now and it's a little rough but handles amazing as the proteges do. I have the toyo Extensa on now, but I wasn't ever a fan of em. Any help?

My recommendations are Bridgestone Turanza T005, Toyo Proxes CF2, Falken FK510 or Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125. These are the best tires from what I have been reading (only really have experience with the CF2s and those are only on one axle of the car I'm driving, can't really compare them with anything else) for someone who wants a decent midterm between full on performance tire and economy tire. Find whichever you can find that suits your Protege (weight ratings and the lot) and it should be fine.

For my E34, I was considering the Hankooks for example, after being on a limbo between the Bridgestones and the Toyos, because of availability and price. Then again, that still hasn't happened so I can't really talk about them.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Bridgestone/Turanza-T005.htm

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Toyo/Proxes-CF2.htm

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Falken/Azenis-FK510.htm

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Hankook/Ventus-Prime-3-K125.htm

You can also take a look at tests they have in that website and gather some more information still:
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-AMS-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-ADAC-Summer-Tyre-Test---15-Inch.htm

And nice car! I love myself small sedans like those.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

On 3/17/2022 at 7:19 PM, vetali said:

warranty diag

parts indefinite back order

warranty diag

warranty diag

warranty diag

looks like that guy went full @terrytek

On 3/17/2022 at 8:30 PM, Bitter said:

We're still bumping into that, or with a particular Hyundai/Kia dealer it's more like we order, back ordered until X day, X day comes, we call them, oh uhhhhhh yeah it's going to be back ordered until Y day (which is exactly as long as the first back order date because they never put the order in).

It’s actually been sort of like this where I work too. If you want to order a server/compute node for anything other than something that’s like $10k+ you can’t get one. One of our customers been waiting over a year… it’s like bruh they already on the next generation of CPU’s bad

We’ve been buying used stuff because no one cares anymore but even that stuff is kinda in short supply. Intel 26xx v4’s will only be good for so long…

sidenote as I try to keep this car related, did you guys see the crazy crashes at TX2K22? I actually almost went to that event! I went to hot springs, Arkansas and the surrounding areas instead, and stayed at a friends’ Airbnb. Was a cool little trip. Kept asking myself why I live in Louisiana xD 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

50 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It’s actually been sort of like this where I work too. If you want to order a server/compute node for anything other than something that’s like $10k+ you can’t get one. One of our customers been waiting over a year… it’s like bruh they already on the next generation of CPU’s bad

We’ve been buying used stuff because no one cares anymore but even that stuff is kinda in short supply. Intel 26xx v4’s will only be good for so long…

sidenote as I try to keep this car related, did you guys see the crazy crashes at TX2K22? I actually almost went to that event! I went to hot springs, Arkansas and the surrounding areas instead, and stayed at a friends’ Airbnb. Was a cool little trip. Kept asking myself why I live in Louisiana xD 

Thats pretty interesting. The consumer market is starting to cool off aside from DDR5 still crazy.

TX2K is always lit. The first 1/4 of that vid makes me think they should just ban GTRs tho lol

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Kept asking myself why I live in Louisiana xD

Can't escape yet can ya? 😛

On 3/18/2022 at 10:34 AM, Beef Boss said:

well can't you end up swapping in 4 lug miata wheels instead? i think they have 16 as a factory size but i could be wrong 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

7 hours ago, terrytek said:

well can't you end up swapping in 4 lug miata wheels instead? i think they have 16 as a factory size but i could be wrong 

2002-2005 NB’s all had 16’s as an option. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

What about high-temp anti-seize? Would that be fine?

at that point I'd be inclined to contact the manufacturer of your components... see what they recommend.

1 hour ago, Obioban said:

Needed a "few" parts for the manual conversion.

Click image for larger version  Name: 1.png Views: 198 Size: 1.17 MB ID: 152720

Click image for larger version  Name: 2.png Views: 197 Size: 1.26 MB ID: 152719

My e60 M5 ownership lasted all of four hours lol, to be fair we never got the manual option over here in the UK and the gearbox was the biggest turn off

Pete

After a few months can I just say the ZF 8HP is so much better than the Aisin TR-80SD and I really wish they had used the ZF in the Touareg/cayenne/q7.

They did put a variant of the ZF 8HP in the Audi A6 and Q5 I believe with the 3.0L TDI engine. But the whole front axle situation is completely different in those cars. So even if you considered a swap it wouldn’t be simple 

it’s not that the aisin is bad! It’s just after experiencing the ZF, it kinda ruins everything else for you lol. There’s a reason they use that transmission in so many cars, it’s so good.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

After a few months can I just say the ZF 8HP is so much better than the Aisin TR-80SD and I really wish they had used the ZF in the Touareg/cayenne/q7.

They did put a variant of the ZF 8HP in the Audi A6 and Q5 I believe with the 3.0L TDI engine. But the whole front axle situation is completely different in those cars. So even if you considered a swap it wouldn’t be simple 

it’s not that the aisin is bad! It’s just after experiencing the ZF, it kinda ruins everything else for you lol. There’s a reason they use that transmission in so many cars, it’s so good.

Gotta step up to a bimmer

or durango lol

ZF 8 speed is amazing. Easily my favorite torque converted auto. I like the ZF 9 speed in my passport, despite everyone else hating on it. Shifts smooth when granny driving, shifts firm if going full vtak. The updates they did in 2020 helped a ton with the jerky shifts.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Fluid for those things is a big ooff tho, $25 a qt shop cost adds up when the trans takes 10qts! Just had one in a 3.6 Charger, that one with the missing fender. Trans line got knocked loose from the cooler and it pumped 2 gallons of $100 a gallon fluid out onto itself and the road. Thankfully it emptied fast enough there wasn't time to drive it with low fluid and damage it....as far as I can tell. New lines, new fluid, drove very nice. That is a nice trans indeed! First few blocks it was a little harsh learning it's adaptives but after that, yeah good feels. Smooth on light thottle, just enough firmness on harder throttle, quick to respond, didn't hunt too much.

When Honda ATF 3.1 first came out it was like 65 dollars a quart. Its down to 35ish now. It only takes 3.5 quarts though. Also a special fill procedure of letting the ATF warm up to like 92 degrees or something... idk. I only do that if I am doing an accessory cooler lol.

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

ZF8 is probably the best gearbox on the market today.

Somewhat related note I had the chance to try a manual M140i the other day and I'm so glad I went with the auto in mine

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

16 hours ago, Obioban said:

I'm either making a huge mistake or doing something awesome.

Very clearly the latter.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

15 hours ago, 711jrp said:

My e60 M5 ownership lasted all of four hours lol, to be fair we never got the manual option over here in the UK and the gearbox was the biggest turn off

Yeah, I have no interest in owning any sort of automatics.

That said, this swap should be every bit as viable in the UK as the USA-- it's an e9X M3 trans I'm sticking in it (same trans only the e9X has a fluid pump for a trans cooler-- I'm just blocking that off).

4 hours ago, Obioban said:

Yeah, I have no interest in owning any sort of automatics.

That said, this swap should be every bit as viable in the UK as the USA-- it's an e9X M3 trans I'm sticking in it (same trans only the e9X has a fluid pump for a trans cooler-- I'm just blocking that off).

Inspection won't throw a fit that the VIN doesn't match what's in the vehicle?