Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

They are saying that manufacturing defects in the HPFP cause debris to accumulate in the b2 injectors on the v6 models. Nothing about the 1.5t... They have actually been declining injector replacement on some cars, making us do the service bulletin. The car usually comes back in a day with the same issue afterwards. A couple have misfired so bad that they needed towed.

Then they wonder why their CR reliability and fixed first visit ratings are sliding hard.

*shocked pikachu.jpg*

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

*shocked pikachu.jpg*

Yeah, exactly my reaction. We had a pretty chill district manager a while back. An advisor and I were BSing with him about the politics he had to deal with. What I made last year was more than a starting DMs salary, without the demo... even with it its close. Theres no real raises of significance unless you get a promotion to a different position which usually involves relocating. So all these DMs are hopping ship to other manufacturers that pay much better. Kinda been a revolving door with DMs for a few years now. We've mostly had former techs and advisors that were DMs before. Now nobody wants to take the shitty salary plus constant travel so they are getting these people right out of accounting school with absolutely no automotive repair experience or knowledge.

If this is the crap thats going on at the low end that I have to deal with, I can only imagine how bad things are from higher up. Saw an image on reddit recently of a jet being loaded with brand new Honda cars made in NA. Allegedly they were being taken back to Honda of Japan for QA. Again, reddit post but I found it interesting. Fits in line with what I have observed. Piss poor quality of assembly coming from the American plants in the past year. Water leaks, connectors not plugged in, evap lines left unplugged.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

53 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah, exactly my reaction. We had a pretty chill district manager a while back. An advisor and I were BSing with him about the politics he had to deal with. What I made last year was more than a starting DMs salary, without the demo... even with it its close. Theres no real raises of significance unless you get a promotion to a different position which usually involves relocating. So all these DMs are hopping ship to other manufacturers that pay much better. Kinda been a revolving door with DMs for a few years now. We've mostly had former techs and advisors that were DMs before. Now nobody wants to take the shitty salary plus constant travel so they are getting these people right out of accounting school with absolutely no automotive repair experience or knowledge.

If this is the crap thats going on at the low end that I have to deal with, I can only imagine how bad things are from higher up. Saw an image on reddit recently of a jet being loaded with brand new Honda cars made in NA. Allegedly they were being taken back to Honda of Japan for QA. Again, reddit post but I found it interesting. Fits in line with what I have observed. Piss poor quality of assembly coming from the American plants in the past year. Water leaks, connectors not plugged in, evap lines left unplugged.

# it's better than Dell

I certainly saw some quality issues with my GF's 08 Canadian built Civic. Poor panel gaps causing the doors to rub the front fenders, a small coolant leak from a leaking spot weld on a pipe, horrible rear alignment that caused hopping side to side over highway gaps, and generally just had a feeling of poor build. I know it's a Civic but it felt bad even for a Civic. Dealer fixed the panel gaps under a campaign but didn't fix the paint on the panel edges that was worn through the color to primer, whatever. Coolant leak fixed under an extended warranty. I fixed the rear alignment, toe was set in spec but unevenly. One side was near the spec one way and the other side was near the spec the other way, both towed out I think. Every time you hit a gap but especially when on a curve the car would just do this little boop to the outside of your turn angle. If you were going straight it was kind of random which way it would want to go. Once I set both rears to be the same and nearer to zero it drove much much better. Boss's daughters Civic had the same alignment problem and the same fix. I imagine all the NA built ones were going out like this for some reason and I also imagine a lot of people not cluing in on why their new car felt so unstable and shifty on the highway.

On 3/12/2022 at 3:30 PM, PandaCopyRight said:

Still think my bike is faster to 180 😛 
yeah id want a T6 PHEV XC60 

enough power for where im going and not too expensive ... yet a hybrid ... and enough headroom for my tall ass (wouldnt mind a V60 either but id want an awd one)

What bike you got? In terms of price, they're not bad, about 450eur/month for leasing (insurance, service, everything included). Though I'm trying to convince my dad to go for a Polestar 2, for like 100 more per month 😄

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

1 hour ago, IKnight said:

What bike you got? In terms of price, they're not bad, about 450eur/month for leasing (insurance, service, everything included). Though I'm trying to convince my dad to go for a Polestar 2, for like 100 more per month 😄

i think i posted it here not long after i got it. 2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (also known as a FZ6S in some regions)

when you getting your own car? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i think i posted it here not long after i got it. 2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (also known as a FZ6S in some regions)

when you getting your own car? 

Oh damn, looks cool. I've toyed with the idea of getting something for like over a year, but gas prices are crazy, I don't have a parking spot, would be at least 65 eur a month since I'm in a student flat, not to mention insurance, tax and other crap. Also since I'm only working as a teach asssistant at uni on a course-by-course basis, there's periods where I don't get any work, so no salary either 😞. At the end of the day, I just can't justify it as being even remotely worth it. 

Whenever I need a car I rent from Volvo's "per hour rental" app, which is like 6.5/hour + 0.2 per km. 

Was pretty tempted to get a Fabia RS, 1.9TTID 9-3, or S3 for a while though.  

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

21 hours ago, Bitter said:

*shocked pikachu.jpg*

1603952484_PikachuBeardnoBG.png.1e6cabab27c9e7af88b09534db03770a.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 3/13/2022 at 10:01 AM, Bitter said:

# it's better than Dell

I certainly saw some quality issues with my GF's 08 Canadian built Civic. Poor panel gaps causing the doors to rub the front fenders, a small coolant leak from a leaking spot weld on a pipe, horrible rear alignment that caused hopping side to side over highway gaps, and generally just had a feeling of poor build. I know it's a Civic but it felt bad even for a Civic. Dealer fixed the panel gaps under a campaign but didn't fix the paint on the panel edges that was worn through the color to primer, whatever. Coolant leak fixed under an extended warranty. I fixed the rear alignment, toe was set in spec but unevenly. One side was near the spec one way and the other side was near the spec the other way, both towed out I think. Every time you hit a gap but especially when on a curve the car would just do this little boop to the outside of your turn angle. If you were going straight it was kind of random which way it would want to go. Once I set both rears to be the same and nearer to zero it drove much much better. Boss's daughters Civic had the same alignment problem and the same fix. I imagine all the NA built ones were going out like this for some reason and I also imagine a lot of people not cluing in on why their new car felt so unstable and shifty on the highway.

Ironically the Canadian cars I see now are pretty well put together. First few 22 Civics we got were Canadian and none have come back for the radio rattle that they all have. They actually came out with a bulletin pretty fast on the issue. The HUD bezel rattle took nearly a year on the Accords.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Ironically the Canadian cars I see now are pretty well put together. First few 22 Civics we got were Canadian and none have come back for the radio rattle that they all have. They actually came out with a bulletin pretty fast on the issue. The HUD bezel rattle took nearly a year on the Accords.

When my mom got her 2010 Mazda 3 she was so annoyed by all the buzzes and rattles in it. She bought some cloth tape and very thin felt and popped off a bunch of trims, backed them with cloth tape, and stuffed the thin felt into gaps. No rattles, no buzzes, no squeaks. We later went through the car doors and floors with some sound deadner and damper then she downsized to 16" wheels from 17" with some quieter tires. Thing is like a low end luxury car now, except for some wind noise.

We FINALLY got all our cars and stuff out of our barn! We used to have a lake house my great grandparents built a long time ago. It had a decent sized barn in it that we stored boats, cars, mowers, building materials, etc in. We sold it not too long ago, and we just now moved the stuff out. It housed a 65 Oldsmobile Cutlass, a 61 Ford Galaxie Starliner, a Wellcraft speedboat, a big Sunchaser pontoon boat, and a vintage Cartercraft speedboat. The new owners bought the pontoon boat and Wellcraft and I don’t have pics of those, but the Olds, Galaxie and Cartercraft I do. Not sure if I can put ‘em all in one post, may have to do more than one. I know no one asked for this but I think it’s awesome. And yeah the Oldsmobile pics were taken in my garage after we moved it there. 

The Olds came with the 442 package, but had the 2 speed auto. Swapped in a 4 speed manual, still has the stock engine. 
The Galaxie is my grandfathers, he put a 390 in it to a 4 speed. Not sure the trans, but it’s a built unit. 

He has another 61 Galaxie, this one in full restomod condition with a huge 428 and 5 speed. I don’t have a pic rn but if u wanna dig through my old posts I put up some pics a bit ago

60C73CC8-F1D7-4629-9FA3-AB169FD97231.jpeg

C0C540BD-745F-4772-BC65-3B86ED6A0918.jpeg

1C4354B4-DC2B-4032-903E-51093D2964E6.jpeg

4DBE5EAB-8821-4AEE-A883-A036C89CE3F5.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

When my mom got her 2010 Mazda 3 she was so annoyed by all the buzzes and rattles in it. She bought some cloth tape and very thin felt and popped off a bunch of trims, backed them with cloth tape, and stuffed the thin felt into gaps. No rattles, no buzzes, no squeaks. We later went through the car doors and floors with some sound deadner and damper then she downsized to 16" wheels from 17" with some quieter tires. Thing is like a low end luxury car now, except for some wind noise.

I have my doubts, my old 3 sounded like an empty aerosol can rolling down the highway. Only rattle I had was the damn trip/ brightness button rattling on the gauge cluster.

31 minutes ago, vetali said:

I have my doubts, my old 3 sounded like an empty aerosol can rolling down the highway. Only rattle I had was the damn trip/ brightness button rattling on the gauge cluster.

It's really hugely better! It's at least in par with a Lexus ES of the same period.

Welp, how's everyone's day going at work?

Just a scuff but I was at the computer on the other side of the wall. That was a looooooong tire squeal and then the littlest thud.

20220317_132231.jpg

20220317_132411.jpg

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

Welp, how's everyone's day going at work?

warranty diag

parts indefinite back order

warranty diag

warranty diag

warranty diag

looks like that guy went full @terrytek

1 hour ago, vetali said:

warranty diag

warranty diag

warranty diag

warranty diag

looks like that guy went full @terrytek

We're still bumping into that, or with a particular Hyundai/Kia dealer it's more like we order, back ordered until X day, X day comes, we call them, oh uhhhhhh yeah it's going to be back ordered until Y day (which is exactly as long as the first back order date because they never put the order in).

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

We're still bumping into that, or with a particular Hyundai/Kia dealer it's more like we order, back ordered until X day, X day comes, we call them, oh uhhhhhh yeah it's going to be back ordered until Y day (which is exactly as long as the first back order date because they never put the order in).

ETA comes and goes, sometimes doesn't get updated for a few days. Then it will get updated for another month. I have had a CR-V waiting on a radar for almost 4 months now. Odyssey waiting on a BCM for a month and a half, Pilot waiting on a TCM for a week with a month ETA, Ridgeline waiting on a smart entry module, plus many more that have taken their cars while waiting for parts. Most those cars except the CR-V are completely dead in the water.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

ETA comes and goes, sometimes doesn't get updated for a few days. Then it will get updated for another month. I have had a CR-V waiting on a radar for almost 4 months now. Odyssey waiting on a BCM for a month and a half, Pilot waiting on a TCM for a week with a month ETA, Ridgeline waiting on a smart entry module, plus many more that have taken their cars while waiting for parts. Most those cars except the CR-V are completely dead in the water.

Ouch man, gonna start looking like a junkyard in the backlot huh?

Just now, Bitter said:

Ouch man, gonna start looking like a junkyard in the backlot huh?

It has been. Some idiot had like 5 late 80s accords towed to the shop a few weeks ago. None have batteries, some missing alternators too. Lucky to find one with working doors / hood release. One had locked up rear wheels. One has a blown out tire. All are rusted to shit and some moldy. All of them don't run at all. Manager told him to get them outta here or they are going to impound.

With gas prices we really slowed down for customer pay work. Its been a lot of warranty stuff lately. 21 civic came in the other day for an oil change, express tech found the valve cover gasket leaking. Put in an order, ETA is 6 months away.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

It has been. Some idiot had like 5 late 80s accords towed to the shop a few weeks ago. None have batteries, some missing alternators too. Lucky to find one with working doors / hood release. One had locked up rear wheels. One has a blown out tire. All are rusted to shit and some moldy. All of them don't run at all. Manager told him to get them outta here or they are going to impound.

With gas prices we really slowed down for customer pay work. Its been a lot of warranty stuff lately. 21 civic came in the other day for an oil change, express tech found the valve cover gasket leaking. Put in an order, ETA is 6 months away.

I know for some parts GM will make allowances for aftermarket for warranty repairs if genuine parts aren't available, I guess Honda does not do that thankfully. Local dealers were snapping up all the cam actuator assy's for the newer 2.5 in the Malibutt etc back when they were unobtanium last year. We got lucky and got one for a customer car but only because a local supplier likes us and held one back from the dealer order. I'd be kind of upset if I brought my car in for warranty and left with say a Dorman solenoid and not a real GM part. How's warranty work for the customer then? 12/12 on the Dorman part? Is it even still part of 5/60 powertrain then? So sketchy GM.

13 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I know for some parts GM will make allowances for aftermarket for warranty repairs if genuine parts aren't available, I guess Honda does not do that thankfully. Local dealers were snapping up all the cam actuator assy's for the newer 2.5 in the Malibutt etc back when they were unobtanium last year. We got lucky and got one for a customer car but only because a local supplier likes us and held one back from the dealer order. I'd be kind of upset if I brought my car in for warranty and left with say a Dorman solenoid and not a real GM part. How's warranty work for the customer then? 12/12 on the Dorman part? Is it even still part of 5/60 powertrain then? So sketchy GM.

Honda actually does do that. Had to do an aftermarket wheel bearing in a CR-V under warranty due to back order.

Washed up my car and thought I'd post a picture here. Definitely due for some new tires, not to spark any controversy but any recommendations? Runs a 195 r15 not sure a good sidewall height I have a 55 on now and it's a little rough but handles amazing as the proteges do. I have the toyo Extensa on now, but I wasn't ever a fan of em. Any help?

20220316_172804.jpg

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

9 hours ago, vetali said:

Honda actually does do that. Had to do an aftermarket wheel bearing in a CR-V under warranty due to back order.

Feel dirty after?

8 hours ago, Beef Boss said:

Washed up my car and thought I'd post a picture here. Definitely due for some new tires, not to spark any controversy but any recommendations? Runs a 195 r15 not sure a good sidewall height I have a 55 on now and it's a little rough but handles amazing as the proteges do. I have the toyo Extensa on now, but I wasn't ever a fan of em. Any help?

What's the stock size? What width wheels? Year round driver? Comfort or sport preference?

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

What's the stock size? What width wheels? Year round driver? Comfort or sport preference?

I'm honestly not sure the size of the wheel, they're oem wheels, I have a 195 on and it's like perfectly square. It's a year round driver, but I prefer a softer tire material for grip. I was looking at the Yokohama ascend GT tires I found them for 108 near me in a 195/60/R15. I have additional sound deadening material all in that car so road noise and that isn't really a concern.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

14 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

I'm honestly not sure the size of the wheel, they're oem wheels, I have a 195 on and it's like perfectly square. It's a year round driver, but I prefer a softer tire material for grip. I was looking at the Yokohama ascend GT tires I found them for 108 near me in a 195/60/R15. I have additional sound deadening material all in that car so road noise and that isn't really a concern.

I really like the Conti DWS, the current iteration is a big step up from the previous versions but I'm not sure it's in your size. If the wheel width allows a "+0” size might be available. Can't stray too far from original diameter since it throws off speedo and odo readings. For +0 you'd be like 205/55R15 maybe, check a tire size calculator to check it's within a couple % of stock. Also that's why you need to know width, might be too wide to safely mount on current wheels. Not a lot of good 15" tires around. Might be worth it to grab a set of 16" wheels used off a later Mazda, pretty sure the 3 wheels fit your car? I'm running 16" 6 wheels on my 626 to clear the 6 front brakes and give me better tire size options, nothing in the original size that's outstanding.