Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

13 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

there will always be nightmare stories and no one ever does proper maintenance. and doesnt help that manufacturers tend to increase the maintenance intervals
The most stuff you see on the internet is people complaining about issues so no matter what car you look at people will always complain about issues and will tell you to stay away from those cars.

BMW 6 cylinders tend to be quite good especially compared to what issues their 4 cylinders have had in the past and the gearboxes also tend to be fine. dont think you should be worried about any of those 2 things. 

The insurance i have is that as long as the car isnt 8 years older and beyond, no matter if the volvo i have, the engine nor the gearbox says goodbye.. They will outright replace it no matter what happened. (Except very spesific situations ofcourse x'D)

I'm still looking at some fine M550i's and D's that looks quite fine, but with gas prices (gasoline) being at 2,35$ per liter im questioning if getting the most fun engine is a reasonable thing to do in these weird fuckery pricy times hahah 😄

Dont think 400 or 800$ more in gas prices gonna change my mind anymore, just having second thoughts hehe.

Also about the maintence, hoping to find something atleast beyond 2015 or better so i can stay within the "SuperPlus" insurance that covers everything.. Mostly why im thinking of replacing the V70 and.. well that im really bored from it x'D

It's been a great car to have as my second car and its a luxury of its own.. But man i miss gasoline and actually driving some lighter RWD/AWD power 😄

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

17 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Been considering selling my V70 2016 D3 for a while now, but the more i dig my own grave trying to find experiences with the cars i'd like i keep finding nightmare cases and people telling me "dear god no, not a BMW" ahaha. Currently looking at 530D/i's and M550D/i's, are these type of cars with 3 liter inline6 that nightmare ish? Hoping to get a newer 2015 model if i can with SuperPlus insurance so if the gearbox says goodbye its covered for another year.

BMWs i6s tend to be the best engines to buy in the lineup, 4 cyls always seem to have timing chain issues and V8s and up have all sorts of issues. Depending on how well the maintenance has been done, the N57s have had a few reports of bearing failures but if theyve been looked after then theyre a solid unit. Gearboxes are the ZF 8 speed so no real worrys with those either. 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, MultiGamerClub said:

The insurance i have is that as long as the car isnt 8 years older and beyond, no matter if the volvo i have, the engine nor the gearbox says goodbye.. They will outright replace it no matter what happened. (Except very spesific situations ofcourse x'D)

I'm still looking at some fine M550i's and D's that looks quite fine, but with gas prices (gasoline) being at 2,35$ per liter im questioning if getting the most fun engine is a reasonable thing to do in these weird fuckery pricy times hahah 😄

Dont think 400 or 800$ more in gas prices gonna change my mind anymore, just having second thoughts hehe.

Also about the maintence, hoping to find something atleast beyond 2015 or better so i can stay within the "SuperPlus" insurance that covers everything.. Mostly why im thinking of replacing the V70 and.. well that im really bored from it x'D

It's been a great car to have as my second car and its a luxury of its own.. But man i miss gasoline and actually driving some lighter RWD/AWD power 😄

Regarding the last point, if you want a lighter car you need to go older, the new more luxurious cars are quite heavy

regarding the M550 ... i personally think its a bit too much engine for the streets even for having a fun engine.

also fuel price is always going to climb at this point 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

16 hours ago, Bitter said:

Oh good lord I'm trying to update the sync3 in the 2016 escape while she's out of town and fucking Ford man. It no update.

I have updates for my touareg in a folder on my pc. It’s a very odd method to update it, you have to use SD cards and it also takes hours

But tbh I’m too scared it’s gonna brick something and end up being unrepairable xD so I guess I just won’t do it lol

+ I hate when updates take hours, it makes it more scary

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

there will always be nightmare stories and no one ever does proper maintenance. and doesnt help that manufacturers tend to increase the maintenance intervals
The most stuff you see on the internet is people complaining about issues so no matter what car you look at people will always complain about issues and will tell you to stay away from those cars.

BMW 6 cylinders tend to be quite good especially compared to what issues their 4 cylinders have had in the past and the gearboxes also tend to be fine. dont think you should be worried about any of those 2 things. 

That’s the jist I get with a lot of cars as well. *it’s so scary* can often be solved with something preventative or just replacing things before the problem even has a chance to show up. 

Although it’s harder to negotiate these days, throwing the line out “hey this car has x well known issue so I’d like to fix it before it shows up can I get a little discount to help with that?” Doesn’t really work anymore with the car market how it is lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I have updates for my touareg in a folder on my pc. It’s a very odd method to update it, you have to use SD cards and it also takes hours

But tbh I’m too scared it’s gonna brick something and end up being unrepairable xD so I guess I just won’t do it lol

+ I hate when updates take hours, it makes it more scary

Well my problem is that it's supposed to have been updating over Wifi since it was new, but the system software says it hasn't checked for updates since 2002 which is a problem because it's a 2016. It's on version 1.1, should be on 3.something and it just does not want to run the update. If I comment out part of the files on the update.lst it'll run part of the update but when I try to run the rest of the update it just seems to hang there on updating system. I was getting too sleepy last night to keep messing with it, I'll try again when she's got more gas in the car or see if it'll run on her drive home from work or something. It's hanging on some file but I don't know what and how long do I wait each time to find out which it's hung on, ya know? The real fix is probably going to be to replace the APIM but that's somewhere between $300 and $700 for the part and possibly dealer programming too. I'm trying to solve an issue where the unit locks up if someone hangs up a call, if she ends it it's fine but if the other end hangs up first the unit freezes on the call screen until the system sleeps and wakes again.

On 2/3/2022 at 5:50 PM, diegoaccord said:

My 535d and Treg V10d didn't blow up today..........just trying to add some balance to the internet.

Pete

And bam… futures open and oil shoots up another 10% instantly lol 

Spoiler

Yeah, was 4.99 at fill up today. Gonna baby this tank because its not getting any better lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

11 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah, was 4.99 at fill up today. Gonna baby this tank because its not getting any better lol.

The only thing you can do to save any money is to pretty much fill your tank every single day until the price stops going up lol 

Spoiler

Gonna see another SUV dump into the used market if this keeps up.

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I’m gonna call it now oil $200/bbl and gas $10/gallon in California this year lol 

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I’m gonna call it now oil $200/bbl and gas $10/gallon in California this year lol 

And Musk in jail for insider trading lol

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Good, buyers market for me. Already seeing the covid dumb purchase rigs being sold to us. Got like 3 newer Tahoes and lots of Jeeps lately.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

My 1987 Porsche 924 with a 951 front end.

Audi I5 (AAN/7A) swap with a GT2871R

300whp at 25psi

2400lbs~~

Full Formula D spec cage

LSD transaxle

Slow winter for it, got like 1% of what I wanted to do to it done lol.

9244.jpg

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Asus Dual 3070 + EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3070 GPU(S)

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Motherboard

Corsair Dominator 16x2 3600mhz RAM

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

Thermaltake RIING 12 fans (4)

32 minutes ago, Beyond_The_Berm said:

My 1987 Porsche 924 with a 951 front end.

Audi I5 (AAN/7A) swap with a GT2871R

300whp at 25psi

2400lbs~~

Full Formula D spec cage

LSD transaxle

Slow winter for it, got like 1% of what I wanted to do to it done lol.

Nice, turbo i5 noises.
would love to hear the thing running

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Wow. Hyundai really bringing true innovation to the sector of automotive technology. I mean why didn't anyone think of this before? /s20220307_094131.thumb.jpg.39119752999d86459c8eb604b32b574c.jpg

Sadly this isn't for detection of spark knock, it's for bearing knock!

Speaking of bearing noise...

20220307_091923.thumb.jpg.2e15d6608cc15fa5fdc273ec4b359ea4.jpg20220307_093439.thumb.jpg.5d07de73e441d86f09d71a9388933355.jpg

They drove it so long that the hub ate through the outer race into the spindle and let the wheel contact the caliper. Some Honda Odyssey carnage for @vetalialso both outer tie rod ends and right ball joint could be pushed apart by hand, rear body lift points rusted off, big oil leak, more than one broken engine mount, no cat, everything on the dash is lit up.

This is the second worst wheel bearing I've seen and in the top 5 for most unsafe vehicles I've seen.

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Nice, turbo i5 noises.
would love to hear the thing running

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipML8AUiXtTYQFkJ8NfJcIEWUinGOuxV3tHYbbVtnfWZCkUd8P399AQ-JHAAZX3sTA?pli=1&key=M3JXdkNTT19lNllZZWZLZlY0c1I1ellzNjdLN09B

ask and you shall receive!  potato video but it gets the point across

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Asus Dual 3070 + EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3070 GPU(S)

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Motherboard

Corsair Dominator 16x2 3600mhz RAM

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

Thermaltake RIING 12 fans (4)

18 minutes ago, Beyond_The_Berm said:

that sounds insane, i love it 

My 2004 Crown Majesta Ultimate Lux JDM VIP(Bippu) Build:

All forged carbon dash

Starlight Headliner

Rear Tray Tables from a Jaguar in Forged Carbon

3UZ-FE Motor

M1112 SVT Lightning Supercharger 5lb pully

1UZ-FE Pushrods

Custom ECU re-flash from Europe

Custom ABC Pillars wrapped in a Japanese Silk Komodo (Black and dark pink cherry blossoms)

Dyed super black headliner

All 14 Speakers changed to Morel Elate Carbon Pro's

1000W JBL 1ohm AMP

Eclipse 1500W Subwoofer (Going to a Skar soon)

Stock AirRide / Level Sensors with Override controller

Junction Produce Full Lip Kit

Muffler Delete with Flowmaster 4 Inch long Tear drop tips

Maya Custom STM 3 Piece Wheels Power coated to paint match
Soon a custom front camber kit for the LCA's built by some friends at SerialNine.

269904308_10158301968911479_4328073699969157701_n.jpg

274053998_10158384109221479_7183425123129212009_n.jpg

CPU: A good one | Motherboard: A blue medium in size | RAM: Enough for gaming | GPU: Two big ones | Case: Black with colors | Storage: More then enough | PSU: Could kill me if I licked it | Displays: Two of them | Cooling: A few fans | Keyboard: Yes | Mouse: Yes, on a wire | Sound: Sure | Operating System: You betcha!

I forgot the update USB in her car and I guess it updated when she went to an appointment today, so that's good. Didn't have it set to run the Gracenote portion so I'll do that tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Some Honda Odyssey carnage

Wheel hasn't fallen off yet, not a real Odyssey owner.

Well mates, I achieved the impossible, I got a 2005 F-150 with the 5.4 L 3 valve (oh sh!t) for a price that would make sense in the beforefore times. About $5K US for it, 160K miles, Passenger side exhaust manifold needs replaced (what 5.4 doesn't need that at some point?). There is a bit of rust in the wheel wells, because some idiot decided he didn't like how wheel well guards looked, and tore them out, leaving massive bolt holes that weren't treated to prevent rust or even painted.  It has decent aftermarket suspension (done tastefully, maybe 2-3 inch lift, doesn't look like one of those driveway princess Chevy Silverados on an 8 in lift, disgusting), decent off-road tires, a Xenon anchoring system, the timing is fine. 

List of things that don't work:

My hopes and dreams

alternator

MAYBE the timing sensor, or MAYBE a spark plug

Exhaust manifold

Moonroof seal

Speedometer is 5 MPH off because of the offroad tires being somewhat larger

antidepressants

Besides that, some ball joints in the suspension, some seals here and there on the drivetrain, and some preventative maintenance, I think I'm good to go, so long as I replace all of the problem parts that were rectified in a revision by Ford some years after my engine was made.

41 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Well mates, I achieved the impossible, I got a 2005 F-150 with the 5.4 L 3 valve (oh sh!t) for a price that would make sense in the beforefore times. About $5K US for it, 160K miles, Passenger side exhaust manifold needs replaced (what 5.4 doesn't need that at some point?). There is a bit of rust in the wheel wells, because some idiot decided he didn't like how wheel well guards looked, and tore them out, leaving massive bolt holes that weren't treated to prevent rust or even painted.  It has decent aftermarket suspension (done tastefully, maybe 2-3 inch lift, doesn't look like one of those driveway princess Chevy Silverados on an 8 in lift, disgusting), decent off-road tires, a Xenon anchoring system, the timing is fine. 

List of things that don't work:

My hopes and dreams

alternator

MAYBE the timing sensor, or MAYBE a spark plug

Exhaust manifold

Moonroof seal

Speedometer is 5 MPH off because of the offroad tires being somewhat larger

antidepressants

Besides that, some ball joints in the suspension, some seals here and there on the drivetrain, and some preventative maintenance, I think I'm good to go, so long as I replace all of the problem parts that were rectified in a revision by Ford some years after my engine was made.

Buy the spark plug extraction tool kit now, you'll need it. Squeak squeak crunch snap crackle pop, so much fun!

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Wheel hasn't fallen off yet, not a real Odyssey owner.

We're legitimately concerned about it falling off in the parking lot if the wind blows hard enough at the van. The only wheel bearing worse than this one was a Grand Prix that melted the aluminum knuckle and twisted it around the bearing along with melting the tire stem and tire bead off the wheel. The only thing that stopped that dumb ass kid was the flat tire. Dad came in with him and the car on a tow truck mad at us because we didn't fix it and he gave his kid the money for the repair....welllllll.....kid declined repair and just pocketed the dads money then proceeded to drive the car up into the city after we told him it wasn't safe to drive and got busted on it right in the shop when our old secretary said 'hold up, you said no to us fixing it and we told you not to drive it'. Dad took the kid outside and pretty sure whooped his ass right in the parking lot.

But overall, this Odyssey is right up there with the most unsafe I've seen. I'm not even joking that I could separate the tie rods by hand if I pushed on them hard enough.