Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I put that cheapass Anchor mount on and idled in park and drive while the engine was still warm from driving. I think it's better actually, but I want it to be better so I probably have some confirmation bias.

Hmm short test drive, maybe 🤔 not. Seems to be different but not better. Feels same in D or P/N now lol. Eh whatever. If I hate it in a week old one back on and return the new one.

Longer drive. Once the engine is warmed up all the way it idles better in gear but a little worse in park/neutral. Warming up it's kind of boomy in the cabin and I don't like that. Shifts feel less jerky though and overall I think it feels better.  Still unsure I'll keep it.

Thermostat is opening at exactly the correct temperature and working perfectly, I'm going to block off part of the radiator. I was able to get the part number off my old thermostat and track one down again but I really didn't like how that kept the radiator fan running so much. I think I'll just stick with the new one and radiator block off in cold weather. I figure about 1/2 blocked should do it maybe. I think I should keep the 180 temp, the engine runs a constant 183-185 on the highway, idling it creeps slowly to fan turn on temp then back down to 180 real fast once the fan has ran. Taking off from a long idle the temp drops below thermostat temp to about 170 then quickly reopens it. Grain of salt, it was 7 degrees while I was watching temps. Cabin temps on the highway used to be 130-140 easily, now my peak is 120 barely and it takes a little longer to get there. Last tank of gas was also down to 22mpg from 25-26 but I ran the engine parked a lot and had filled up at a different station with a different pump shutoff so again grain of salt. I miss my sauna heat in the car, but judging it during single digit temps maybe isn't fair, same for the last tank of gas I suppose too.

This thing is shockingly fun in the snow

20220107_132412.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

On 1/7/2022 at 10:59 AM, bcredeur97 said:

buying OEM thermostats isn't a terrible idea tbh. (if you can find one). 

I know the OEM vs aftermarket thermostats on my miata were a lot different. 

Yeah we probably share the same thermostat, I have the 1.6L protege.dunno if yours is different displacement though I doubt it changes much.

Not sure the Tama is OEM but they do make OEM parts for cars so... Yeah it was different than the one that more than likely came with the car 21 years ago... Dang thing wasn't even in F just Celsius. Car warms up a ton faster, sure it was 23 bucks, compared to the eight dollar ones everywhere else but it works... The others do not. I also changed the water pump to a Gates branded one, the fins were much bigger if that changes much haha.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Slid in a sheet of cardboard to cover half my radiator, I'll find out tomorrow if it helps with highway heat. Kind of bummed my 180 stat is working correctly and that my heat sucks this much with it. It's easy to swap it out but I just hate that the only 190 stat is a shitty MotoRad part and I fear it'll be as slow to open as my old one and have the cooling fan running all the time again.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

Slid in a sheet of cardboard to cover half my radiator, I'll find out tomorrow if it helps with highway heat. Kind of bummed my 180 stat is working correctly and that my heat sucks this much with it. It's easy to swap it out but I just hate that the only 190 stat is a shitty MotoRad part and I fear it'll be as slow to open as my old one and have the cooling fan running all the time again.

Yeah, not sure if you saw my recent experience I had two motorads fail in a row after single use... And a Napa branded one they "sell to shops all the time"... What a pain in the butt! Waste of gaskets and coolant haha

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, Beef Boss said:

Yeah, not sure if you saw my recent experience I had two motorads fail in a row after single use... And a Napa branded one they "sell to shops all the time"... What a pain in the butt! Waste of gaskets and coolant haha

I saw. We use them at work sometimes and while they usually work fine their build quality is...much lesser than what I'd like to install in my own car. I'm hoping blocking the radiator does what I need to get the coolant temp up into the 190's on the highway but I'm not optimistic. What I need are some of the active grill shutters or an electronical thermostat, but I think I have to buy a new car to get those upgrades. If my next tank of gas also sucks MPG then I'll just try another 190 degree Motorad, looks like the only place I can get one is RockAuto. I'll reuse the seal off the Aisin thermostat though to save a little and I can reuse my drained coolant, I can even keep the coolant in the radiator with my giant hose pinch-off tools from China to slightly reduce the amount of coolant lost and refilled to speed up the process.

By god I'll ruin this car yet one part at a time with aftermarket crap!

So I bought a phone mount for the GF for her birthday last week. Normally a $55-60 mount, Bestbuy had it for $45 but was sold out. Target had it for $60 and price matched it for us. Nice! 

GUEST_435eb079-5a5e-4a6a-8713-813479a319

iOttie AutoSense Wireless

I wanted her to have wireless charging since her iPhone has to be plugged in directly to her car radio. My GF hates driving and recently got a job that requires a lot of driving, so this instantly became a highlight for holding her phone while using her GPS (her old strat was put it on the side seat and glance down at it hoping it doesn't slide around)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

And the Anchor motor mount is headed back to Amazon. Yeeted that thing the fuck out of my car at lunch. Driving 60mph on the highway my rearview mirror shook so hard I could see nothing. The cabin boomed so loud I had to turn my radio up 5 more notches to near deafening to hear it and the sound made me feel dizzy for the first few miles.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

The what?

IMG_20220110_095812.jpg

What a terrible thing to mess up on if it can cause injury/death lol 

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

And the Anchor motor mount is headed back to Amazon. Yeeted that thing the fuck out of my car at lunch. Driving 60mph on the highway my rearview mirror shook so hard I could see nothing. The cabin boomed so loud I had to turn my radio up 5 more notches to near deafening to hear it and the sound made me feel dizzy for the first few miles.

I love how my aftermarket mounts on the civic weren't bad at all and I expected them to be bad lol. No idea 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

30 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Gotta love how they just accepted it… doesn’t look like the wheels were turning or spinning at all, just kept on the brakes and hoped the thing would stop on its own. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

28 minutes ago, vetali said:

These posts brought to you by fuel wheels

Ha. The wheels literally everyone puts on their trucks 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

56 minutes ago, vetali said:

These posts brought to you by fuel wheels

27 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Ha. The wheels literally everyone puts on their trucks 

They're sooooooo fucking ugly too.

11 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

They're sooooooo fucking ugly too.

Kind of poor quality too. Way heavier than they need to be too

Spoiler

Getting all four tires balanced, it's a beautiful thing.

Got the Suzuki Reno running daily now, back and forth to work, smoothing out the kinks from it sitting so long. 

Still some issues to go (think the thermostat is bad, car never really warms up)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Kind of poor quality too. Way heavier than they need to be too

They're really cheap metal, absolute joke of a product.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

They're really cheap metal, absolute joke of a product.

someone is making big monies off of them though

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

someone is making big monies off of them though

Oh definitely, I see them on all of the Jeeps around me.

Every time i think about changing from a Volvo V70 i keep getting the thought that the next car wont have the same luxury of the one i have now haha.

Im so used to DSG/automatic on the volvo with leather seats.. Hard to move away from my second car ive owned for over 3 and a half years now.

FWD might be good, but its become so boring now.. Maybe trading it in for something RWD or AWD without too many safety features will be more fun 🤔

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

42 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Every time i think about changing from a Volvo V70 i keep getting the thought that the next car wont have the same luxury of the one i have now haha.

Im so used to DSG/automatic on the volvo with leather seats.. Hard to move away from my second car ive owned for over 3 and a half years now.

FWD might be good, but its become so boring now.. Maybe trading it in for something RWD or AWD without too many safety features will be more fun 🤔

get some 90s rwd or awd car then... should be cheap ish (depending on the car ... BMWs of that era are climbing in price quite quickly) but i wouldnt really trade the volvo in unless you are 100% sure you are gonna be happy with the car you get
Also DSG - Direct-shift gearbox is the VW term for a DCT - Dual clutch transmission, DCT being the universal term
Afaik Volvo used a DCT only for the 1.6 diesels the rest were a more typical Torque converter automatic (i may be wrong about other engines but the 1.6 diesel for sure has it as my V40 has that combo)

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

2 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

get some 90s rwd or awd car then... should be cheap ish (depending on the car ... BMWs of that era are climbing in price quite quickly) but i wouldnt really trade the volvo in unless you are 100% sure you are gonna be happy with the car you get
Also DSG - Direct-shift gearbox is the VW term for a DCT - Dual clutch transmission, DCT being the universal term
Afaik Volvo used a DCT only for the 1.6 diesels the rest were a more typical Torque converter automatic (i may be wrong about other engines but the 1.6 diesel for sure has it as my V40 has that combo)

Been looking at BMW's but their un-necesarily 3 to 4 times more expensive to insure and i keep going back on the used marketplace just going for all other brands lately.

S90 sounds alot fun, i can still throw my dog in the backseat with a strap and he'll be safe.

Would think seeing as ive turned 25 that insurance wouldnt be hell.. but oh no, its much more expensive than i thought 😛

Audi 3.0TDI and awd cars.. Mostly audi's, not sure if i should go for newer models if they have hardwired/electronic ESP's you cant disable..

Getting annoying i cant fully disable my FWD's antispin unless i use a OBD scanner and "temporarily" disable it.

Realisitic value on my v70 is 220-260k NOK (25,3k~30k~) so thats kinda the range im looking at..

Not 10-20k NOK car thats been through hell and beyond, no offence to people buying those cars..

Just seen alot of friends go through the endless cycle of fixing their cars.

Maybe just bad luck, but i think im gonna stay on newer models for a while.

S90 AWD.. Never thought about that car, S80 AWD with a V8 sounds pretty fun too.

edit: Found a beautiful blue-light S90 AWD but.. Big dent on the inner-fender behind right-front tire and the entire leftside front panel was.. crushed.

Looking continiues haha, currently driving a white volvo v70 so others colours would just be so much more awesome x'D

edit2: Found another S90 AWD blue-light, 52000$, oof. Basicly 20k more than i have haha x'D

But damn.. insurance on this didnt look so bad. And its a 2017 model too :'D

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD