Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah I still say faulty master switch caused it, esp if it comes back again.

Reminds me of the new accords that would come in with all the sensing warning indicators with everything losing com with the gauge control module. If I remember right everything talks to the MICU (now properly called a BCM in the new accords iirc) and then it talks to the GCM. Some weird glitch would happen in the BCM and trigger that fault. People were just unplugging the BCM and plugging it back in and shipping it and assuming that fixed it. We were replacing the BCMs because its a safety concern and got engineerings attention. Now there is a recall for BCM software update lol.

Kinda like that slough of doing like ~20 fuel injector sets last month. Now Honda sends us a walnut shell blaster to clean intake valves "for an upcoming service bulletin pertaining to misfire and rich codes" geeee

But but direct injection is awesome tho you get like 2% more gas mileage /s 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

26 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

AND you too can ROLL COAL when you pass or merge onto the highway!!!

8 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah I still say faulty master switch caused it, esp if it comes back again.

Reminds me of the new accords that would come in with all the sensing warning indicators with everything losing com with the gauge control module. If I remember right everything talks to the MICU (now properly called a BCM in the new accords iirc) and then it talks to the GCM. Some weird glitch would happen in the BCM and trigger that fault. People were just unplugging the BCM and plugging it back in and shipping it and assuming that fixed it. We were replacing the BCMs because its a safety concern and got engineerings attention. Now there is a recall for BCM software update lol.

Kinda like that slough of doing like ~20 fuel injector sets last month. Now Honda sends us a walnut shell blaster to clean intake valves "for an upcoming service bulletin pertaining to misfire and rich codes" geeee

There is, or was, a really awesome GM chemical for cleaning carboned intakes and chambers. ACDelco X66P was awesome stuff, you just 'set it and forget it'. Soak the engine through the intake while it's running, let it sit, then run the snot out of it 30 min later and watch it just BLOW CLOUDS of carbon out the exhaust and like magic run great again!

Reminds me I should probably do that on the GF's 16 Escape with like 70K on the clock.

56 minutes ago, Bitter said:

There is, or was, a really awesome GM chemical for cleaning carboned intakes and chambers. ACDelco X66P was awesome stuff, you just 'set it and forget it'. Soak the engine through the intake while it's running, let it sit, then run the snot out of it 30 min later and watch it just BLOW CLOUDS of carbon out the exhaust and like magic run great again!

Reminds me I should probably do that on the GF's 16 Escape with like 70K on the clock.

“Not for retail sale” lol 

i looked that stuff up it sounds pretty awesome guessing it was pretty potent chemicals or something tho 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

51 minutes ago, Bitter said:

We use the snake oil stuff. Not sure how good it is on DI cars. I am not a fan of doing it on turbo cars either.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

and more power. I personally don't like the sound of DI. Even with all the foam insulation it still sounds like a typewriter at idle.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

On 4/29/2021 at 7:24 AM, bcredeur97 said:

Mini-Accord 

Pretty much the same size as my grandfather's '96 Accord and E39 (~2" shorter and the same width), though it's probably not as roomy for NVH and safety reasons. 

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

yeh I wished you could get the bar that spans the grille saying "CHEVROLET" painted on the WTs, I know that's what the Custom is for but in 2021 models they removed engine choices for the Custom trim and also added packages to both models that make it like an LT but without the bright work which I like.

cuki1o.png

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

If GM themselves doesn't release a dealer add-on backlight kit for that front lettering they'll be as dumb as they look. That would look pretty sick backlit at night.

14 minutes ago, Bitter said:

If GM themselves doesn't release a dealer add-on backlight kit for that front lettering they'll be as dumb as they look. That would look pretty sick backlit at night.

someone actually put LEDs in there lol
Personally I dunno how I'd feel about it, it looks kinda cool but eh

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

25 minutes ago, Bitter said:

When I was at GM we were doing backlights for the 'flowtie' on the camaros. Actually looked pretty cool.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

1 hour ago, vetali said:

When I was at GM we were doing backlights for the 'flowtie' on the camaros. Actually looked pretty cool.

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-82-14-0-428-376-CLEANER/dp/B00TMV4A2W/

Looks like BMW uses the same cleaner that GM does. I wonder who actually makes it? It's good stuff, really. I did a piston soak on my Mazda as maintenance and looked at the piston tops before and after. Before, kinda cruddy but not terrible, this engine has had carbon issues before. After though I could read the markings on the piston tops through the thinnest and softest layer of carbon, just a fine film. Fluid went in green to a slightly warm engine, sat about 24hr, sucked it out as pitch black gritty fluid. If you suck most of it out then crank the engine to blow the rest out it doesn't smoke crazy but it's still got some NOXIOUS fumes. Engine idled a little more steadily after and for sure smoother on tip in and acceleration. Didn't think to check before/after compression but it sounded more even when cranking and started more readily from deep cold.

Been seeing lots of videos of guys hooking cans of carb spray to their injectors and running the engine off the carb spray for a DIY injector/top end cleaning, thoughts? 185K on the Mazda and I've only put pour in cleaners in the tank. Can't hurt, right?

40 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Looks like BMW uses the same cleaner that GM does. I wonder who actually makes it? It's good stuff, really. I did a piston soak on my Mazda as maintenance and looked at the piston tops before and after. Before, kinda cruddy but not terrible, this engine has had carbon issues before. After though I could read the markings on the piston tops through the thinnest and softest layer of carbon, just a fine film. Fluid went in green to a slightly warm engine, sat about 24hr, sucked it out as pitch black gritty fluid. If you suck most of it out then crank the engine to blow the rest out it doesn't smoke crazy but it's still got some NOXIOUS fumes. Engine idled a little more steadily after and for sure smoother on tip in and acceleration. Didn't think to check before/after compression but it sounded more even when cranking and started more readily from deep cold.

Been seeing lots of videos of guys hooking cans of carb spray to their injectors and running the engine off the carb spray for a DIY injector/top end cleaning, thoughts? 185K on the Mazda and I've only put pour in cleaners in the tank. Can't hurt, right?

@vetalithe reviews for this and the ACdelco stuff seems pretty glowing I think it’s legit, you should try it 

def could help people like me who don’t have a walnut blaster 

... although apparently harbor fraud has one for like $35 now lol

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetalithe reviews for this and the ACdelco stuff seems pretty glowing I think it’s legit, you should try it 

I googled but blaster, was not disappointed.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Meh, unless you got an issue from sitting the injectors on port systems shouldn't get too gunked up.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Try it on what, customer cars? Not gonna happen. Honda makes their own top end cleaner anyway.

Celica does sit parked for months at a time in winter, may do it to that one just cause why not. I need to get some of the GDI cleaner in a spray can and do the GF's 70K mile Escape but trying to get her to help with anything car related is like anything car related and the LTT crew.

Went to a car show today and they were out in force.
Here's a few that were present including a really special one.
Enjoy - I did!

100_0294.thumb.JPG.57b3737e7d8e3962c63888b1eed5b485.JPG100_0293.thumb.JPG.0322ccec9719bbe44237a30bf9d41f7b.JPG100_0289.thumb.JPG.9accaae55e22bafb046f169555909860.JPG100_0306.thumb.JPG.05c0fe586e315987212bcbb44ed2370e.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Niiiice.

Got some wrenches (don't have the right standard sizes at home, but I do now!) and tightened up the trans cooler fitting without pulling the bumper, just a 1/2 turn, cleaned/dried the area and now I need to go drive like 300 miles to see if it's fixed.

Was going to drive some today to run some errands about 25 miles south in the next larger town area, but life intervened. GF burnt her hand, not bad just a mild 2nd degree, on a hot pan this morning when were making breakfast together. She bumped it and it started to fall and instinct kicked in and she caught it. So with her hand throbbing we just stayed in for the day mostly, car kept to the garage and I didn't touch it. Plenty of other times I can drive around, she needed me more than I needed to drive the car.

So I spent the night replacing the ball joint I left on initially because I thought we could get away with it since the CV axel would not come out of the steering knuckly..... A lot of jerky steering later and I'm back under the car.

20210505_190025.thumb.jpg.4f927f016fad1e854d7221c0745d7a10.jpg

The nut cant come off the top without the whole control arm moving slowly down, so it's a slow panful 1/6th turn wrench at a time job.

20210505_191745.thumb.jpg.b165bb4a226802ed279fa787d89d1a9c.jpg

Eventually the ball joint bolt started spinnign with the nut, so I had my borrowed pickle fork and sledge hammer to try and force the spinning to stop. No luck. 

20210505_205456.thumb.jpg.bc33b97bbe524eef39d5b434edc55350.jpg

Thankfully since we didnt care about the boot I was able to rip most of it off and grab it with vice grips; that allowed me to overcome the bolt-to-nut friction and get it all off. 

While under the car, I noticed a problem with one of the control arm bolts. Namely that it was halfway out the arm and not grabbing any thread!

Spoiler

Turns out I had just switched the bolts for the front and rear portions of the control arm, not noticing one was 1/2" longer than the other (which is the exact amount of thread I needed to get through to the other side)

20210505_204414.thumb.jpg.4a964678a28a62c213b6335469e5175b.jpg

You can tell form the rust spots just how the shorter bolt doesnt have enough length to grab where it needs to 

Now I just have to figure out some pf the rubbing we're getting on the passenger side on the strut tower spring perch. might be because the strut is sitting just a bit too deep in the steering knuckle but I'm not 100% sure, will have to measure both drive and passenger side as the driver side is perfectly fine.  But at least now the car will pass inspection

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 5/1/2021 at 5:51 PM, Beerzerker said:

Went to a car show today and they were out in force.
Here's a few that were present including a really special one.
Enjoy - I did!

100_0294.thumb.JPG.57b3737e7d8e3962c63888b1eed5b485.JPG100_0293.thumb.JPG.0322ccec9719bbe44237a30bf9d41f7b.JPG100_0289.thumb.JPG.9accaae55e22bafb046f169555909860.JPG100_0306.thumb.JPG.05c0fe586e315987212bcbb44ed2370e.JPG

Oooh what car is that last one? 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

19 hours ago, Benji said:

@TVwazhere Now that I've seen you around here, I can ask you: You do have some performance tuning done to your ST, right? If so, how much hp and lb.ft does it have now?

No exact numbers, but it theoretically is 270-280whp. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

Well, then get her up to a dyno run and share the results 😉

Personally I'm just not that curious. It has enough power to make me happy for now and to me that's all that matters, putting a number to it wont really change that fact. 

Though, I keep looking at this mustang I occasionally pass in a nearish town... Way too expensive though

41 minutes ago, Benji said:

I don't see that price as anything reasonable.

I checked around, there are other GT350's that are in the 50-60 range, however none of them have Whipple Super chargers or the carbon fiber interior, so I imagine thats where a lost of the cost is. 

Plus, overall inflated market and the fact that it's an Audi dealership so their lot cars are just "more expensive" They have a 2015 Mustang 5.0, 28k miles for $33k but it's an auto

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I checked around, there are other GT350's that are in the 50-60 range, however none of them have Whipple Super chargers or the carbon fiber interior, so I imagine thats where a lost of the cost is. 

Plus, overall inflated market and the fact that it's an Audi dealership so their lot cars are just "more expensive" They have a 2015 Mustang 5.0, 28k miles for $33k but it's an auto

i mean 33k seems a little much man, brand new it was 32k 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

10 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

i mean 33k seems a little much man, brand new it was 32k 

Thats what they go for, it seems...

https://www.edmunds.com/inventory/srp.html?inventorytype=used%2Ccpo&make=ford&model=mustang&sort=price%3Aasc&trim=gt%2Cgt-premium&year=2015-2015&wz=66

Bumping it to 200Mi gets me into $28k range

Spoiler

image.png.ce534af17793a0ecbe8a04f1f2840eae.png

Edited by TVwazhere