Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

car gurus i think just goes off sale prices so it's both. but also only their own listings so 

not many cars for sale around here. Though I refuse to use facebook so idk whats on their marketplace, they prob all on there.

If it was actual purchase prices I'd really worry. Car shortage is starting to hit us. We were getting 9 new hondas a week on average off the gravy truck. Now its 1-3. Facebook is mostly garbage on there. You search honda and you get those hondas.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

On 4/21/2021 at 9:57 PM, Bitter said:

I've heard nothing but trash about the 2.7 Chevy turbo in the trucks.

yeah no my 9-3 has taught me that Turbos are very so-so.
they can be nice but they can also suck.

I'd only get the 5.3 lmao

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

oh boy I think I've struck a bit of a balance between price and features for the silverado but it's such an oddball spec lmao
I think most people would rather just lose some shit just to get badging that shows that they have a more expensive truck and a front end that says that too

I'd prefer the blind spot mirror to the blind spot monitor system but eh it is whatever but Chevy doesn't seem have that blind spot mirror in the driver mirror anymore

take a WT trim truck and tack on about $4,295 in options and $3,645 in packages and you basically have what the Custom more or less should've been (Plus you get the 5.3L V8!)

Interior:

Spoiler

3rxpl9.png

Exterior:

Spoiler

xdq2cy.png

5zhq01.png

$40,685 after discounts

3 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

oh boy I think I've struck a bit of a balance between price and features for the silverado but it's such an oddball spec lmao
I think most people would rather just lose some shit just to get badging that shows that they have a more expensive truck and a front end that says that too

I'd prefer the blind spot mirror to the blind spot monitor system but eh it is whatever but Chevy doesn't seem have that blind spot mirror in the driver mirror anymore

take a WT trim truck and tack on about $4,295 in options and $3,645 in packages and you basically have what the Custom more or less should've been (Plus you get the 5.3L V8!)

Interior:

Hide contents

3rxpl9.png

Exterior:

Hide contents

xdq2cy.png

5zhq01.png

$40,685 after discounts

I like that spec at first glance, looks like something I'd get. Though I haaaaaaaateeeeeeeeeeeee Chevy's mirrors. 😞

9 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I like that spec at first glance, looks like something I'd get. Though I haaaaaaaateeeeeeeeeeeee Chevy's mirrors. 😞

the mirrors were fine to me, the blind spot mirror was so useful and I really liked having it in the truck I rented last weekend

Just now, pinksnowbirdie said:

the mirrors were fine to me, the blind spot mirror was so useful and I really liked having it in the truck I rented last weekend

I'm used to larger mirrors and I don't want to give that up. I feel like the visibility with the Silverado mirrors could be way better.

7 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'm used to larger mirrors and I don't want to give that up. I feel like the visibility with the Silverado mirrors could be way better.

ah yeah I can understand that lol

My A8 passed the inspection, took it for a 200km warm up drive after sitting all winter. It's fun and comfortable to drive.

20210424_163458.thumb.jpg.cfaf094b0e93d51ede5ce8976cdbc664.jpg

20200319_163010.thumb.jpg.1338bfaeac325341d87d6032d30c4bee.jpg

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

Lesson learned: I am not am mechanic who's acclimated to actual labor so I should only work on cars on Saturdays at the latest because boy I am sore.

TL;DR Ten hours to do control arms on the GF's Beetle, and I technically didnt finish. 

Bushings on the driver side arm failed inspection; It's $30 for the bushing but $60 for a whole new arm with the bushings already pressed, so I went with that. Took me forever to get one side off (the ball joints pin would not slide out of the knuckle) until my dad came so a real man could hit it (😞) I also had issues with both tie rods spinning, to the point where we cut them off and bought new ones (which required grease fittings and I didnt have my grease gun, go figure.) Also could NOT get the passenger side CV axel out of the wheel hub. We didn't try any of the sliding or screw tools as it was getting late but we saw many videos where those didnt work anyways, and all it prevented us from installing was the passenger side ball joint which was okay at best. 

All in all I'm sad it took me so long and I'm also sad I wasn't able to get it completed before my GF had to go to work today (which I didn't know she did until 5pm last night because she usually doesn't work Mondays) She told me I looked very dejected all day 😂

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Use a pry bar to pull the tierod down into the knuckle to help hold it from spinning. Need a beefy pry bar though.

Washed and waxed my Mazda and repaired some cracks in the glass. Tomorrow the weather is good enough to drive my Celica so I'll take it out to work and back to get it done road time.

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Lesson learned: I am not am mechanic who's acclimated to actual labor so I should only work on cars on Saturdays at the latest because boy I am sore.

TL;DR Ten hours to do control arms on the GF's Beetle, and I technically didnt finish. 

Bushings on the driver side arm failed inspection; It's $30 for the bushing but $60 for a whole new arm with the bushings already pressed, so I went with that. Took me forever to get one side off (the ball joints pin would not slide out of the knuckle) until my dad came so a real man could hit it (😞) I also had issues with both tie rods spinning, to the point where we cut them off and bought new ones (which required grease fittings and I didnt have my grease gun, go figure.) Also could NOT get the passenger side CV axel out of the wheel hub. We didn't try any of the sliding or screw tools as it was getting late but we saw many videos where those didnt work anyways, and all it prevented us from installing was the passenger side ball joint which was okay at best. 

All in all I'm sad it took me so long and I'm also sad I wasn't able to get it completed before my GF had to go to work today (which I didn't know she did until 5pm last night because she usually doesn't work Mondays) She told me I looked very dejected all day 😂

I’ve learned from doing suspension work at home that if I’m gonna do it, then might as well do every single piece that connects to whatever I’m trying to replace because things will be stuck or I will break them in my impatience to get things off xD 

maybe if it’s new I can get away with it but I never work on new things lol

this is especially true of anything that is a ball joint. Haha 

also it’s why I’m very reluctant to work on anyone’s cars outside of my family because I pretty much have to have a plan B for when the car isn’t done in time 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

27 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Use a pry bar to pull the tierod down into the knuckle to help hold it from spinning. Need a beefy pry bar though.

Prybar was one method we tried to keep it from spinning. Admitedly it wasnt super long but it didnt really help too much. I believe there was a hex head on the bottom of both but after 125 k miles they were unusable. 

27 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I’ve learned from doing suspension work at home that if I’m gonna do it, then might as well do every single piece that connects to whatever I’m trying to replace because things will be stuck or I will break them in my impatience to get things off xD 

maybe if it’s new I can get away with it but I never work on new things lol

this is especially true of anything that is a ball joint. Haha 

also it’s why I’m very reluctant to work on anyone’s cars outside of my family because I pretty much have to have a plan B for when the car isn’t done in time 

If I had started Saturday like I had anticipated I actually would have had the necessary time. But we took a day to just enjoy doing things.\

Apparently the VW place nearby will do the labor for $212 so thats nice. I still have a power steering pump, cooler and an emergency brake to fix though before it can pass inspection

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Restored some pedals in prep for the manual swap

20210426_145519.thumb.jpg.b3417926047211a6f87e2df609710ac1.jpg

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

9 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

Restored some pedals in prep for the manual swap

20210426_145519.thumb.jpg.b3417926047211a6f87e2df609710ac1.jpg

New bushings on the shaft for the brake and clutch? They egg out over time and can make the clutch pedal feel sticky or notchy which is no fun.

11 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

For the tie rods that spin I have a huge pair of channel locks that I just clamp the tie rod back in the knuckle and zap zap. Sway bar links can be a pisser though, same with stuck CV axles.

Working on this old odyssey from the east. What a rust bucket. Spent like 3-5 minutes on each exhaust bolt with heating, pounding a socket on, and praying. When usually I just zap zap them off. Mount bolt pulled threads so I gotta deal with that once the subframe is out.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Some tricks for getting the nut down before the tierod spins..

Lube lube lube and then more lube. Clean the threads with a wire wheel on a die grinder. If it's a nylock nut tell it to fuck off with some heat and just burn the plastic out of it. Usually any of those three does the trick. If it does spin, yeah channel locks but I've found my 4foot 1/2 inch pry bar can put a lot more force on it one handed than channel locks. I have small hands, it's a blessing and a curse.

28 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Some tricks for getting the nut down before the tierod spins..

Lube lube lube and then more lube. Clean the threads with a wire wheel on a die grinder. If it's a nylock nut tell it to fuck off with some heat and just burn the plastic out of it. Usually any of those three does the trick. If it does spin, yeah channel locks but I've found my 4foot 1/2 inch pry bar can put a lot more force on it one handed than channel locks. I have small hands, it's a blessing and a curse.

Why hasn’t the human race designed a ball joint that can’t spin yet? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

37 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Why hasn’t the human race designed a ball joint that can’t spin yet? 

It would have to be keyed in some way, machining a properly tapered key on a stud to match a keyway in the hole would be hard. The reason the stud and hole are tapered is to spread load and pinch together. They're actually like a degree off so the knuckle stretches and clamps a little. And they kind of do...those ball joints that have a pinch slot and round ring cut into the stud with the bolt that goes through. They just get rusty and won't pull down, there's ways of getting them down too.

This old F100 my Grandpa restored. May be mine in the next few years. Its always fun to see people look at it when we drive by. He put new seat cover, painted and removed a lot of rust, and just made it look better. Not in the best condition ever, but I love it. 

Truck.jpg

Finally a nice enough day to drive it to work and get it filthy while it's parked.

Left my usual silver sunshades at home in the other car...these will do.

IMG_20210427_130003.jpg

Just now, Bitter said:

Finally a nice enough day to drive it to work and get it filthy while it's parked.

Left my usual silver sunshades at home in the other car...these will do.

IMG_20210427_130003.jpg

When you realise you put them on the wrong way. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

33 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

When you realise you put them on the wrong way. 

They're too short/wide the right way so they don't fit and fall down. They were only $1 on closeout.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

They're too short/wide the right way so they don't fit and fall down. They were only $1 on closeout.

ah i see. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

5 hours ago, RGBoy said:

This old F100 my Grandpa restored. May be mine in the next few years. Its always fun to see people look at it when we drive by. He put new seat cover, painted and removed a lot of rust, and just made it look better. Not in the best condition ever, but I love it. 

Truck.jpg

I'm not really a truck kinda guy, but I'd get an old truck like this if I had the change and money, for sure.