Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I mean for uhaul, it makes sense they'd spring for the V8s. They have trailers and shit they have for rent that all of their vehicles are well suited to tow when loaded down. The fucker had a hitch already installed lol

The 4.3 tows good tho!

https://www.diverchev.com/chevy-silverado-1500-towing-capacity

7,900lbs isn't bad!

Just now, Bitter said:

The 4.3 tows good tho!

https://www.diverchev.com/chevy-silverado-1500-towing-capacity

7,900lbs isn't bad!

I imagine it's a lot like Ford's ecoboost situation in the F150s but NA it seems like?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

17 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I imagine it's a lot like Ford's ecoboost situation in the F150s but NA it seems like?

I'll be honest, this sentence confuses me a little.

54 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'll be honest, this sentence confuses me a little.

Intentional nah but I believe that 4.6L V6 he's talking about isn't a forced induction motor where as EcoBoost in the F150s are.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I've heard nothing but trash about the 2.7 Chevy turbo in the trucks.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I've heard nothing but trash about the 2.7 Chevy turbo in the trucks.

GM making anything other than a V8 that isn't garbo? surprise surprise

I'm half kidding I know some of their small engines have been reliable at least.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I'm half kidding I know some of their small engines have been reliable at least.

The 3.8? Thats about it.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

They don't make any of the small engines they sell that are somewhat reliable tho?
The only good small engines sold by GM were made by Toyota.

26 minutes ago, Bitter said:

They don't make any of the small engines they sell that are somewhat reliable tho?

I thought the N/A 2.4 ecotec wasn’t too bad? Friend had a solstice with almost 200k miles on it lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I thought the N/A 2.4 ecotec wasn’t too bad? Friend had a solstice with almost 200k miles on it lol 

The earlier ones liked to eat timing chains which caused the pistons to eat the valves and you'd end up with piston soup in the oil pan. Later ones burn oil like it's going out of style. There were like maybe 2 or 3 years where they had everything just right between the timing chain fix and then the oil consumption.

3 hours ago, vetali said:

The 3.8? Thats about it.

If I ever just wanted a boring old shitbox with an automatic that ran OK, I'd buy a LeSabre with the 3.8. My grandmother has a '97 and honestly it's been a good car all these years, and it's pretty comfortable to drive.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

The most reliable small car the GM ever sold was the 1st and 2nd gen Geo Prizm, the least reliable small car Toyota ever sold was the Toyota Cavalier. Also the Geo Metro was pretty good reliability wise. Actually all the Geo line were mostly good cars.

12 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

id say the engines touched by SAAB were good 😅

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

I may or may not happen to have 2 Saab 9-2x Aeros in the driveway that are being restored to working condition...

49 minutes ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

I may or may not happen to have 2 Saab 9-2x Aeros in the driveway that are being restored to working condition...

@RevoltTrainwould be very pleased to know this

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

3 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

The Saab Ecotec turbos? I've only ran across a few in all my years and they seemed good but the sample size has been too small. It was 100% not a Saab engine, it was a GM engine that Saab in Saab tradition over costed substantially but for the right reasons.

3 hours ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

that subaru engine wasnt even touched by saab 😂
But nice cars.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

The Saab Ecotec turbos? I've only ran across a few in all my years and they seemed good but the sample size has been too small. It was 100% not a Saab engine, it was a GM engine that Saab in Saab tradition over costed substantially but for the right reasons.

I was thinking about the B204,234,205,234 engines as they are technically GM engines as well 
But the B207 (rebranded ecotec) is not bad either ...

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

17 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

If I ever just wanted a boring old shitbox with an automatic that ran OK, I'd buy a LeSabre with the 3.8. My grandmother has a '97 and honestly it's been a good car all these years, and it's pretty comfortable to drive.

Tryin to get my sister to sell her civic and get a shitbox like that. That civic attracts way too many tweaker prowlers. Already been stolen once, attempted several times after even with cameras up now.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Plus I'm pretty sure you can drop a Northstar and 4T80E in those things or the supercharged 3.8 if you need more twist.

12 hours ago, Bitter said:

The most reliable small car the GM ever sold was the 1st and 2nd gen Geo Prizm, the least reliable small car Toyota ever sold was the Toyota Cavalier. Also the Geo Metro was pretty good reliability wise. Actually all the Geo line were mostly good cars.

wasn't the geo prizm a rebranded corolla? Or is that your whole point? lol 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yes and Yes

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

They are, and for a long time they were a heck of a bargain. I saw them going for $400 when an identical Corolla was $1500.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 4/21/2021 at 9:20 PM, Bitter said:

T5? The good T5 I hope not the wimpy one.

Its the older T5 Borg Warner WC from an 85 or 86 stang. Its getting some upgrades internally though when i have it rebuilt. will handle the 4-500HP thats getting hooked to it. maybe not the 6-700 this car will make when i turbo it lol

also my shipping curse strikes again.... my brand new clutch was not shipped with my clutch kit..... IDK HOW THAT FUCKIN HAPPENS.... got the flywheel tho if that counts lol... idk to laugh or just be outright pissed. all i know is they better overnight my fuckin $400 part cause im now solely waiting on that

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables