Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Gotta hit redline on the on-ramps to shake the mud out of the frame

ElectricDeliriousFlea-max-1mb.gif

Well I do 45 in my bumper car soon to do more I just don’t own a car yet just toys side by sides go karts etc 

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Gotta hit redline on the on-ramps to shake the mud out of the frame

ElectricDeliriousFlea-max-1mb.gif

My car is just a means of transport. If i want to have fun i use my motorbike 😉 .

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

My car is just a means of transport. If i want to have fun i use my motorbike 😉 .

Well that's not a fun world to live in.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Well that's not a fun world to live in.

For you maybe, the bike is only 600ccm but its more than enough to outrun most of the cars if need be. Not to mention the open exhaust... :old-love:

1 hour ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Nitrous it then

id like to have a daily tyvm

13 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

For you maybe, the bike is only 600ccm but its more than enough to outrun most of the cars if need be. Not to mention the open exhaust... :old-love:

600cc bikes that people talk about are usually supersports so like 100+hp, 700-900cc bikes usually have less .. quite a bit less power
So obviously 600cc bikes can outrun most cars, but id say even a 500cc can outrun most cars on the road 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Peasant. 7800 red line, 8000 fuel cut, 20yrs old.

S2000?

Wasn't there a LS6 or LS7 around that was built for 9,000 RPM?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

16 minutes ago, Sarra said:

S2000?

2000s rev beyond 8k

Think my old EP3 hit the redline at 8250

My 182 "only" revs to 7250

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

51 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

This part:

58 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

My car is just a means of transport.

How unfortunate

20 minutes ago, Sarra said:

S2000?

2ZZ-GE, have to hit 8,000 just to go anywhere lol.

Nah it drives like a more responsive 1ZZ until the big cam lobes come on at about 6,000 then it screams to 8k. It's actually pretty pleasant to carve corners in the middle of the power band from 3 to 6 too,just not it's peak performance.

42 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

600cc bikes that people talk about are usually supersports so like 100+hp

Nah, tour-sport hybrid (bandit 600s), 75 hp.

14 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

How unfortunate

Its only 1.6 suction gasoline, it was never  intended to have fun while driving it. (golf mk5 )

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Nah, tour-sport hybrid (bandit 600s), 75 hp.

fair enough, still an I4 based on a supersport engine 😅

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Its only 1.6 suction gasoline, it was never  intended to have fun while driving it. (golf mk5 )

hey i have a 1.6 diesel with an automatic .. what should i say 😂
still somehow manage to have fun while driving 🙃

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

hey ill go over 4000 rpm every now and then at home. I was more referring to long interstate trips lol

I miss autocrossing. I wish vehicles that can tow miatas were affordable. takes all the stress of breaking your car 150 miles from home away

Just buy some from of roadside assistance and let them do all the towing for you 😉 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

8 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Just buy some from of roadside assistance and let them do all the towing for you 😉 

Ahh nothing like a AAA driver not knowing where to hook a strap to the car and breaking something trying to put it on the flatbed.

3 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

2000s rev beyond 8k

Think my old EP3 hit the redline at 8250

My 182 "only" revs to 7250

I ran a redline in my 2002 WRX at 7,400 RPM. I never ran it htat high, but with the rev limiter at 7,000 RPM, hitting it was so violent, I was afraid I would break my transmission. Hitting it at 7,400 RPM was really gentle...

I haven't messed with the redline in my 2005 Baja. Too big of a motor... I might be building the heads, though. Beehive valvesprings and slightly bigger cams. I'll probably try for a 7,000 RPM redline...

The stroker motor I wanted to build for my WRX would have easily done 8,000 RPM. I also got a 1995 Legacy with a 2.2 up around 9,000 RPM... Money shift on the freeway. I have no idea how nothing came apart...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

13 SRX runs poopy. Lol!

IMG_20210401_104146.jpg

Ok, I didn't have time to elaborate on this one at work but it's an adventure into why seeking a second opinion is always a good idea and why talking to the tech who's diagnosing the car can be a really useful insight as well.

2013 Cadillac SRX with 173,000 miles on it. Oil dirty, due for an oil change, 1/2qt low, coolant low in bottle but not empty. Had a WHOLE bunch of stored codes in like every module all history codes except 2 of them (likely old from a low/dead battery, thanks GM), but only interested in the engine codes here. P0101 Mass Airflow sensor circuit range/performance, P0106 MAP sensor signal range/performance, P0068 MAP/MAF throttle position correlation, P0024 Bank 2 Camshaft position system performance. The engine would start/stall repeatedly, once it was running it would stall and barely move for more than a few feet at a time, when it did run and move it back fired into the intake often and sounded very very lean.

Dealer quoted her $3800 for timing chains, guides, sprockets, VVT actuators. Normally we see some other codes like cam/crank correlation (P0008/9, P0010/11/12, etc) when there's timing chain problems and normally any Camshaft position system performance codes are also on Bank 1 or only on Bank 1 since that chain gets more wear driving the high pressure fuel pump. On cold star we had no tell tale chain rattle indicating a stretched chain and worn guides.

So like any car and like any good tech I start with the basics. Let's look at this no idle thing, maybe it's got bad chains and a throttle body problem too, MAP/MAF/Throttle correlation can certainly be a bad throttle but would usually throw some throttle/app position codes as well or close throttle position performance and toss the car into limp throttle mode. Start off by really getting basic, lets check the air filter. It's got shit on the clean side and fits loose in the box, it's bent and one side is a bit smashed. Check the Mass Airflow sensor and voila! We have the above photo, a maple tree bud stuck INSIDE the sensor against the sensor wire. Knock it out, clean the MAF, rag the intake tube and blow the airbox clean, reassemble with the box open and no air filter, starts RIGHT up and even revs up in park (as much as the ECM will allow). Ended up getting approval for air filter and oil change, test drove it twice, other than a locked up mag ride strut in the L/F seems great for the miles on it!

Yeah, $3800 timing chain job and they would have called her back to tell her she also needs a $300 Mass Airflow sensor too or they would have just never told her that's what it was all along. Always get a second opinion on big repairs. Always ask to talk to the tech and have them explain how they concluded that it needed those repairs when it's a big job. This is a large well known dealer in the area, we buy from their parts dept sometimes and my boss has bought a lot of vehicles from them over the years. Not a good look for their service dept!

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You can have fun in anything

I don't think so buddy

artworks-000163757640-3j6024-t500x500.jpg

Or just imagine using your own car for whatever you want to, just imagine

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

9 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I don't think so buddy

Or just imagine using your own car for whatever you want to, just imagine

Nope

23 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Ok, I didn't have time to elaborate on this one at work but it's an adventure into why seeking a second opinion is always a good idea and why talking to the tech who's diagnosing the car can be a really useful insight as well.

2013 Cadillac SRX with 173,000 miles on it. Oil dirty, due for an oil change, 1/2qt low, coolant low in bottle but not empty. Had a WHOLE bunch of stored codes in like every module all history codes except 2 of them (likely old from a low/dead battery, thanks GM), but only interested in the engine codes here. P0101 Mass Airflow sensor circuit range/performance, P0106 MAP sensor signal range/performance, P0068 MAP/MAF throttle position correlation, P0024 Bank 2 Camshaft position system performance. The engine would start/stall repeatedly, once it was running it would stall and barely move for more than a few feet at a time, when it did run and move it back fired into the intake often and sounded very very lean.

Dealer quoted her $3800 for timing chains, guides, sprockets, VVT actuators. Normally we see some other codes like cam/crank correlation (P0008/9, P0010/11/12, etc) when there's timing chain problems and normally any Camshaft position system performance codes are also on Bank 1 or only on Bank 1 since that chain gets more wear driving the high pressure fuel pump. On cold star we had no tell tale chain rattle indicating a stretched chain and worn guides.

So like any car and like any good tech I start with the basics. Let's look at this no idle thing, maybe it's got bad chains and a throttle body problem too, MAP/MAF/Throttle correlation can certainly be a bad throttle but would usually throw some throttle/app position codes as well or close throttle position performance and toss the car into limp throttle mode. Start off by really getting basic, lets check the air filter. It's got shit on the clean side and fits loose in the box, it's bent and one side is a bit smashed. Check the Mass Airflow sensor and voila! We have the above photo, a maple tree bud stuck INSIDE the sensor against the sensor wire. Knock it out, clean the MAF, rag the intake tube and blow the airbox clean, reassemble with the box open and no air filter, starts RIGHT up and even revs up in park (as much as the ECM will allow). Ended up getting approval for air filter and oil change, test drove it twice, other than a locked up mag ride strut in the L/F seems great for the miles on it!

Yeah, $3800 timing chain job and they would have called her back to tell her she also needs a $300 Mass Airflow sensor too or they would have just never told her that's what it was all along. Always get a second opinion on big repairs. Always ask to talk to the tech and have them explain how they concluded that it needed those repairs when it's a big job. This is a large well known dealer in the area, we buy from their parts dept sometimes and my boss has bought a lot of vehicles from them over the years. Not a good look for their service dept!

I always check the MAF for rich/lean codes on hondas. Seen a few things in them before.

Having a string of injector replacements lately... cause predicted air fuel ratio of cylinder codes, AF test usually runs rich on said cylinder. Mostly due to granny driving the car. The 1.5 turbos are a bit of a pain to work on. Also did a valve adjustment on this one.

7DTV8AU.jpg

Also did cats on an acura that was so bad you couldn't give it gas without stalling once warm. Complete chernobyl meltdown status. Wish I got pics of the primary cats, I forgot to. Had to hurry on that job

iHQAQQk.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

29 minutes ago, vetali said:

I always check the MAF for rich/lean codes on hondas. Seen a few things in them before.

Having a string of injector replacements lately... cause predicted air fuel ratio of cylinder codes, AF test usually runs rich on said cylinder. Mostly due to granny driving the car. The 1.5 turbos are a bit of a pain to work on. Also did a valve adjustment on this one.

Also did cats on an acura that was so bad you couldn't give it gas without stalling once warm. Complete chernobyl meltdown status. Wish I got pics of the primary cats, I forgot to. Had to hurry on that job

iHQAQQk.png

Looks like every V6 Ford Escape that had a dead coil and misfire. They'd OBLITERATE the manifold cats and the debris would go down stream and just solidify against the clean up cat's face like a molten glaze. I love my little $30 bore scope camera for my phone, can stick it into the O2 sensor hole and get a quick idea how fuckered things are. If the face of the cat looks wavy it's plugged up inside the matrix where you can't see almost every time.

29 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Looks like every V6 Ford Escape that had a dead coil and misfire. They'd OBLITERATE the manifold cats and the debris would go down stream and just solidify against the clean up cat's face like a molten glaze. I love my little $30 bore scope camera for my phone, can stick it into the O2 sensor hole and get a quick idea how fuckered things are. If the face of the cat looks wavy it's plugged up inside the matrix where you can't see almost every time.

Well the sketchy thing is they only okayed the cat replacement. Still a $4k a ticket, but I also recommended plugs and injector cleaning... declined those. So I didn't even warm it up to burn off the coating on the cats. Just parked it. Didn't want to risk burning up 3k in cats.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

15 minutes ago, vetali said:

Well the sketchy thing is they only okayed the cat replacement. Still a $4k a ticket, but I also recommended plugs and injector cleaning... declined those. So I didn't even warm it up to burn off the coating on the cats. Just parked it. Didn't want to risk burning up 3k in cats.

Oooo so the thing that A LOT of people don't know about new cats is that they do need a break in cycle. The insulation around them expands when heated the first time and helps hold the matrix in place. Not sure if this is just aftermarket ones or only certain ones but we just always do it now. Cheap insurance I guess and it gets rid of the terrible smells that the customer is bound to bitch about. We push hard to sell the root cause by making the customer sign off that they denied the other parts and are now exempted from any warranty on parts or labor. Usually they change their minds when they get to that part.

https://www.underhoodservice.com/tech-tip-converter-break-in-periods/

Walker says that none of theirs need this. Probably not needed on OEM cats either.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Oooo so the thing that A LOT of people don't know about new cats is that they do need a break in cycle. The insulation around them expands when heated the first time and helps hold the matrix in place. Not sure if this is just aftermarket ones or only certain ones but we just always do it now. Cheap insurance I guess and it gets rid of the terrible smells that the customer is bound to bitch about. We push hard to sell the root cause by making the customer sign off that they denied the other parts and are now exempted from any warranty on parts or labor. Usually they change their minds when they get to that part.

https://www.underhoodservice.com/tech-tip-converter-break-in-periods/

Walker says that none of theirs need this. Probably not needed on OEM cats either.

I've never heard of that. They were OEM, were only 30 dollars more than aftermarket.

I was going home from the store and this was on the road.

IMG_20210401_160958.thumb.jpg.9efb92195c694f5ddd1c53177618f408.jpg

Pokemon livery on a mustang.

I live in a college town that gets a lot of foreign students so this is not uncommon.

(I have seen hypercars, exotics and everything in between)

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang