Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

33 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

What is the difference between a trophy truck and an ultra 4 truck

trophy truck is for winners and ultra 4 only guarantees 4th place

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Unm ok?

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Finally gave in and ordered a replacement muffler for the DD Mazda, it's getting annoying being louder than it should and it doesn't make it go any faster or get any better MPG. I got the cheaper Walker part, I wanted to get the Stainless Walker because they do actually last longer but it's low/out of stock and the price went way up on it so screw it, the $90 and free shipping from Amazon Walker will do fine for a few more years I guess. Cosmetic rust by the driver side rear wheel arch is getting worse too.

Can't decide if I should get something nice to replace it like a Mazda3 or Mazda3 turbo or if I should just get something cheap to replace it like a 2012-2014 Corolla or similar appliance car that's good enough and I don't care about a lot, but I do want something durable that's likely to last over 10 years.

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Finally gave in and ordered a replacement muffler for the DD Mazda, it's getting annoying being louder than it should and it doesn't make it go any faster or get any better MPG. I got the cheaper Walker part, I wanted to get the Stainless Walker because they do actually last longer but it's low/out of stock and the price went way up on it so screw it, the $90 and free shipping from Amazon Walker will do fine for a few more years I guess. Cosmetic rust by the driver side rear wheel arch is getting worse too.

Can't decide if I should get something nice to replace it like a Mazda3 or Mazda3 turbo or if I should just get something cheap to replace it like a 2012-2014 Corolla or similar appliance car that's good enough and I don't care about a lot, but I do want something durable that's likely to last over 10 years.

kinda in the same boat right now in terms of wanting a car that will last a while but prices are so high and i refuse to overpay for things

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

kinda in the same boat right now in terms of wanting a car that will last a while but prices are so high and i refuse to overpay for things

Luckily I can ride it out until prices normalize and accrue a larger down payment or just buy it outright if it's a used car in the $10,000 and under category. I might finance it even if I can buy it outright just for the boost in credit score it could give me or if the interest rate is low enough to make sense. My 98 Mazda is old enough that it's not really all that safe anymore compared to pretty much anything else on the road. I drive about 30 miles a day and I rarely see cars as old as mine when I'm commuting and that starts to worry me if I were to get into an accident, would my older car put me more in harms way? Also it's got no ABS or stability controls which sure can come in handy in low traction situations. I generally dislike the Mazda but I do like how I have the stereo setup and how it sounds and I don't look forward to re-creating that in a different car if I even can. Small price to pay I guess.

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Luckily I can ride it out until prices normalize and accrue a larger down payment or just buy it outright if it's a used car in the $10,000 and under category. I might finance it even if I can buy it outright just for the boost in credit score it could give me or if the interest rate is low enough to make sense. My 98 Mazda is old enough that it's not really all that safe anymore compared to pretty much anything else on the road. I drive about 30 miles a day and I rarely see cars as old as mine when I'm commuting and that starts to worry me if I were to get into an accident, would my older car put me more in harms way? Also it's got no ABS or stability controls which sure can come in handy in low traction situations. I generally dislike the Mazda but I do like how I have the stereo setup and how it sounds and I don't look forward to re-creating that in a different car if I even can. Small price to pay I guess.

even my now broken 04 civic prob isn't that safe. anything 2010+ is prob really good in the safety dept in comparison. My civic also doesn't have ABS and it needs it more than any other car ive driven... idk what it is but it locks up real easy. My '01 corolla also didn't have ABS and that i never really had trouble with outside of autocross where i'd lock it up occasionally but never too horrible...could also just be me losing my "touch" as i get older.

I still see a lot of late 90's cars here but i do drive around a lot of lower income areas. Mainly countryside. 

My miata looks cool but it's far from safe too. Might as well be on a motorcycle lol. I still think about putting a roll bar in it but i also worry about hitting my head on it. im about max tallness for a miata (around 5ft 11). do have seat lowering rails in from back when i was on a mission to get the stock seats as low as possible without cutting them up, but im not sure it's low enough. Still not planning on getting rid of it... it holds value and it's a fun car. 

+ too 90's/early 00's cars are getting old at this point. they all need work. im kinda finding myself wanting to start with something cleaner/nicer and that means newer now... lot easier to keep something nice than to fix something not nice and make it nice again

Spoiler

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

even my now broken 04 civic prob isn't that safe. anything 2010+ is prob really good in the safety dept in comparison. My civic also doesn't have ABS and it needs it more than any other car ive driven... idk what it is but it locks up real easy. My '01 corolla also didn't have ABS and that i never really had trouble with outside of autocross where i'd lock it up occasionally but never too horrible...could also just be me losing my "touch" as i get older.

I still see a lot of late 90's cars here but i do drive around a lot of lower income areas. Mainly countryside. 

My miata looks cool but it's far from safe too. Might as well be on a motorcycle lol. I still think about putting a roll bar in it but i also worry about hitting my head on it. im about max tallness for a miata (around 5ft 11). do have seat lowering rails in from back when i was on a mission to get the stock seats as low as possible without cutting them up, but im not sure it's low enough. Still not planning on getting rid of it... it holds value and it's a fun car. 

+ too 90's/early 00's cars are getting old at this point. they all need work. im kinda finding myself wanting to start with something cleaner/nicer and that means newer now... lot easier to keep something nice than to fix something not nice and make it nice again

Rust around here is what knocks older cars out of the pool, or not being able to pass emissions for a reasonable price.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Rust around here is what knocks older cars out of the pool, or not being able to pass emissions for a reasonable price.

my honda always sits outside, the only part starting to rus is the tip of the hood

3 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

my honda always sits outside, the only part starting to rus is the tip of the hood

End of my hood is missing paint, don't care anymore.

13 minutes ago, Bitter said:

End of my hood is missing paint, don't care anymore.

and my hondas a 98

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

My miatas’ dampers were just starting to leak at 140k miles. kinda amazing how long they can last. 

the koni adjustable ones i put on it are great although I pretty much leave it on full soft because our roads are trash here lol

new bump stops + new springs + new dampers = great riding car

The car came with Tokico OE-grade stuff from the factory, which are crazy expensive and probably not something I'm interested in. Koni orange (don't need adjustability) might be the way I go. If I can find somewhere that has Sachs or Bilstein HDs in stock I might go for those, but I think both are out of production for my vehicle. KYB GR-2s are another option, but apparently they're just ho-hum stuff.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

36 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

The car came with Tokico OE-grade stuff from the factory, which are crazy expensive and probably not something I'm interested in. Koni orange (don't need adjustability) might be the way I go. If I can find somewhere that has Sachs or Bilstein HDs in stock I might go for those, but I think both are out of production for my vehicle. KYB GR-2s are another option, but apparently they're just ho-hum stuff.

Used some GR2s on the back of my Celica as OE replacements, performed exactly like the original KYB that came on it from the factory. Didn't solve my problem, turned out to be an alignment thing and to fix it I ended up with coilovers and full poly bushings lol.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Used some GR2s on the back of my Celica as OE replacements, performed exactly like the original KYB that came on it from the factory. Didn't solve my problem, turned out to be an alignment thing and to fix it I ended up with coilovers and full poly bushings lol.

Reminds me I need to get a quick release attachment for my grease gun because otherwise greasing my poly bushings is a huge pain 

which also have been great btw. Actually don’t notice the harshness much over stock rubber. Car handles super well and predictably though 

and great to know I don’t really have to worry about bushings sliding in their bores which is a problem on miatas apparently 

Spoiler

Sooooo... I went to fill a little bit of gazoline (or petrol if you will) I was only gonna fill around 10l because the price was huge something around €1,8-1,9 per liter... Anyway when I started to fill I noticed that the pump wasn't counting, all displays were blank and so I thought maybe the tank feeding the pump was empty because I could hear the pump going. I took out the nozzle a bit from the filling port and could see the fuel coming out. After filling no money had been removed from my account.

So, free fuel. Yes! Thank you very much! 🥂

Just traded in my 2004 Toyota Camry for a 2017 Civic.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

1 hour ago, aDoomGuy said:

Sooooo... I went to fill a little bit of gazoline (or petrol if you will) I was only gonna fill around 10l because the price was huge something around €1,8-1,9 per liter... Anyway when I started to fill I noticed that the pump wasn't counting, all displays were blank and so I thought maybe the tank feeding the pump was empty because I could hear the pump going. I took out the nozzle a bit from the filling port and could see the fuel coming out. After filling no money had been removed from my account.

So, free fuel. Yes! Thank you very much! 🥂

Watch you see a charge in your card a few days from now. I wouldn’t get too excited lol. But cool if they honor it 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, YellowJersey said:

Just traded in my 2004 Toyota Camry for a 2017 Civic.

I could prob use your old Camry rn why’d you trade it in? 😂 

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Watch you see a charge in your card a few days from now. I wouldn’t get too excited lol. But cool if they honor it 

The Suez Canal blockage ruined my whole weekend. Premium fuel here is $4.70 a gallon...

Just stayed at home, it's not worth driving unless gas < $3.50/gal.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I could prob use your old Camry rn why’d you trade it in? 😂 

Oh come on you can still drive that Civic for a while 😂

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

21 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

The Suez Canal blockage ruined my whole weekend. Premium fuel here is $4.70 a gallon...

really? that seems crazy high but maybe thats because I almost always get gas at costco

what are peoples rec for a cheap OBD2 scanner. (sub 50$)

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

really? that seems crazy high but maybe thats because I almost always get gas at costco

what are peoples rec for a cheap OBD2 scanner. (sub 50$)

Your location says that you are in the Bay Area.... I'm in the Bay Area too... Gas prices have been pretty high...

1 minute ago, arnavvr said:

Your location says that you are in the Bay Area.... I'm in the Bay Area too... Gas prices have been pretty high...

I agree but I think my local costco was 3.75 for normal and like 3.95 for super

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Imagine paying less than 6$ for a gallon of fuel

This post was made by the European gang

Spoiler

EUeYcuDU8AASgKB?format=jpg&name=small

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

10 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I agree but I think my local costco was 3.75 for normal and like 3.95 for super

my costco is 2.40 right now for unleaded

1 hour ago, DriftMan said:

Not gonna lie, I spent a little more on fuel this summer due to prices going down (1.05€/L for 95, 1.20€/L for 98) and still made 7000km, but now prices have gone to "normal" (1.30€/L for 95, almost 1.50 for 98)

i went to poland like 2019 november, and holy shit the gas was fucking EXPENSIVE like 200 zloty for 5 liters you god damn crazy?