Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Sooooo... what happened today was that one bolt and nut got turned into two bolts and no nuts. :P

Yesterday this sleeve got loose from my steering knuckle while replacing the left control arm on the E39 so today was to try and put the sleeve back in. Didn't go exactly as planned. Screwing it in with a bolt, nut and two metal plates eventually screwing was impossible and bolt broke in two pieces. It's thread is messed up, it's bent and broken.

Turns out the metal plate on top was too big and got stuck on an edge on the knuckle so I took a plate and bent the corners so that hopefully I'll have more success on the next try. If not I have to remove the entire knuckle and have someone take it to where he works to push it in with some hydraulics...

Spoiler

IMG_20201021_043445.jpg

IMG_20201021_043339.jpg

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

first thought after watching the part about the wireless battery module communication:

this is GM. there is NO WAY that will not backfire and go wrong lol.

mechanics will be dropping entire battery packs and/or removing cabs (depending on how it’s made idk) to replace some stupid wireless module in the battery pack I can see it already lol. 

@vetali

GM electronic, oh joy, what could go wrong?

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

officially 3 months in with my engine order. contacted jegs.... no update. told them look.... ive been given the runaround for 2 months now and im done. ship day was supposed to be aug 27. its now oct 22. engine ordered july 22. im done. ive been told multiple times 3 months is retarded and i should have canceled 2 months ago. im over this. i want the motor i paid $8k for..... jegs has offered me a full refund. so i told them to look very close into the order and if shipped leave it be. if not cancel. i think thats fair personally.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

That sucks, I mean their hands are tied if the engine builder isn't able to get it done due to work and part shortages. We've been shafted on some parts here and there, better now but we still bump into stuff. One of our suppliers has their own house branded pumice hand cleaner that's been out of stock for 4 months now, they're getting their pallet shipment of it next month since the factory finally returned to normal ops after being downed and then swapped to sanitizer gel on a bigger contract that paid better.

I'm sure you and lots others all ordered engines at the same time. Wait for spring and try again I guess? Maybe order the parts and try for building it yourself over winter? It's not an especially hard engine to build or work on, basic tool set and some plastigauge should git r done.

20 minutes ago, Bitter said:

That sucks, I mean their hands are tied if the engine builder isn't able to get it done due to work and part shortages. We've been shafted on some parts here and there, better now but we still bump into stuff. One of our suppliers has their own house branded pumice hand cleaner that's been out of stock for 4 months now, they're getting their pallet shipment of it next month since the factory finally returned to normal ops after being downed and then swapped to sanitizer gel on a bigger contract that paid better.

I'm sure you and lots others all ordered engines at the same time. Wait for spring and try again I guess? Maybe order the parts and try for building it yourself over winter? It's not an especially hard engine to build or work on, basic tool set and some plastigauge should git r done.

so i call kinda bs on this builder as they waited basically all the way up to 2ish weeks when the heads came in supposedly and after i started questioning them. they never started on it or anything which to me is a red flag since you could have had the entire bottom end done and just do the heads and top last in a few days but to wait is a bit odd to me. then to keep leading me on for well over a month with a back ordered heads story that i emailed dart on and was told there wasnt a backorder on them. so yea im over it. 

why im not doin it myself... because i wanted a brand new motor. not a rebuild. and i wanted it "professionally" done with a warranty. 

i would do it myself if i trusted myself but not when it comes to that. did make a custom harness deleting basically everything that isnt needed with the setup i was after

20201020_211317.thumb.jpg.1fb8e7247bd1eb9f0146cced184a6fe6.jpg

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Well that makes sense then, sorry it went that way. I guess time to try a different builder once you get your money back. Maybe it's a good thing you never got that engine, given the issues our shop has had with them in the past. They sure aren't sounding very professional or trustworthy, likely that warranty would have been just about useless.

16 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

The Multistrada is looking good.  👍

Had mine down to the deals gap area in Tennessee / North Carolina a couple weeks back.  Found a cool waterfall to take a picture with.

falls.jpg

I was wanting to get the pikes peak too! They are amazing bikes! Literally all in one bike! 

so after atk engines sayin nothing but stalling for months and jegs like they didnt give us any info on this motor so if id like we can refund im like ok well let me hear back from atk... like hours later i get a call about a freight dropoff. im like what???

so whats crazy is i asked last week and then a couple days ago if i could get info on it. nothing.... thank god i was home cause they literatley just called and in 10 mins i had it in front of me

20201022_153929.thumb.jpg.1f6674293b5527a7d717d6dc1c35d3a5.jpg

dyno sheet in spoiler

Spoiler

20201022_153728.thumb.jpg.a27a30ed1ec15c726466cddc21d23b84.jpg

Man i want a Multistrada. They too much tho. and im also too young lol

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

lol I was grinding a plate bolt shorter here at home and needed to adjust it in the vice grips. I was using the grinding wheel on low speed, bolt never sparked and didn't change color. So I just pushed my thumb against it real hard to nudge it over, ended up embossing my thumb with M6 threads because it was hot but not hot enough to burn. Perfect temp. Now my thumb is a thread gauge.

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

lol I was grinding a plate bolt shorter here at home and needed to adjust it in the vice grips. I was using the grinding wheel on low speed, bolt never sparked and didn't change color. So I just pushed my thumb against it real hard to nudge it over, ended up embossing my thumb with M6 threads because it was hot but not hot enough to burn. Perfect temp. Now my thumb is a thread gauge.

What's the thread pitch on your thumb lol

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

What's the thread pitch on your thumb lol

M6x1.0

Got a capped bolt kit for the front of my Celica to replace the one stainless and one rusty bolt that have been on there for like 10 years. No idea why I waited so long to do this, it makes it look a good deal nicer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174363506840

I got bit by the wagon bug and it's fucking me up. 

In any case, what should I go for next to replace my Saturn sometime: a Volvo V70 (probably a 98 model) or a Saab 9-5 wagon (whatever's in the area)? I'm pivoting towards the Saab as I like how it looks more, but meh.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

10 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I got bit by the wagon bug and it's fucking me up. 

In any case, what should I go for next to replace my Saturn sometime: a Volvo V70 (probably a 98 model) or a Saab 9-5 wagon (whatever's in the area)? I'm pivoting towards the Saab as I like how it looks more, but meh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Country_Squire#Eighth_generation_(1979–1991)

A built 351 Windsor with a good posi rear end would make a fun sleeper, literally a sleeper cause that back is big enough to camp out of.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

@JoaoPRSousa Sky Sports says portugal is most known for its golf courses

test.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

16 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Nope NOPE NOPE NOPE. That's some terrible forward lighting, but I know cameras always make things look worse than it is. I can see a hell of a lot more than my camera can see at. But still high speeds at night are scary.

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Nope NOPE NOPE NOPE. That's some terrible forward lighting, but I know cameras always make things look worse than it is. I can see a hell of a lot more than my camera can see at. But still high speeds at night are scary.

It’s more knowing the track than anything for those guys. It’s amazing 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1