techswede

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Follows have gone wonky and the people that still  care might want to re-follow the thread.
That is all. 

32 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Since when was a 435i a 'basic 3 series'? Also you lept from an M4 performance package, down to an E90 320i...

what do you really want

48 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

wtf is your budget

Youve gone from $16k to $94k and seem to just be picking cars out of a hat

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

It sounds like you should do some more research of the lineup and what has what before you spend your money lol. 

Ok I am just sayin' the M4 coupe not really want to consider it. I guess the E90 320i can be taken to consideration. So my real purpose for the posts are what used cars are worth it for family usage, and quite good performance and comfort.

So I want a 5 seater or 4 seater car, and it is a coupe like the BMW 3 series, and has really good value because of the rich feature. My options could be the 320i E90 or Audi A6. Does anyone have any other suggestion?

"I want things to matter i hate it when things are just, whatever. Cable management, whatever. Fan placement, whatever. Thermal paste application, whatever."

-Luke Lafreniere from CPU & Heatsink Lapping - Are concave, convex, or flat heatsinks best for cooling? 3:14

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-I am a Value Oriented shopper, always thinking if something is worth over the other.

-I personally look air cooling First,  if not go all out in Custom water cooling for Aesthetics.

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

I am a Logitech Fan, gonna get that G633 Artemis Spectrum Headset. Since then I am interested (and open to other reputable brands) to sound quality and the Audiosphere.

21 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

keep in mind doing launches like this will eventually grenade your transmission or transfer case or rear diff...  they can be rebuilt much stronger, but a stock sti 6spd is still king for handling awd launch abuse.  pretty much the only thing the sti does better than the evo...

I was about to say "remember the part where you grenade your EJ if you mod it."

My Build --- CPU: i7-5820K @ 4.3 GHz || MoBo: Asus X99-A || RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2400 4x4GB || Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 AIO || GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || Broken Optical Drive || G502 & G710 || PG278Q, PB278Q, VG248QE

My Car --- 1998.5 24v Cummins || ECSB || 47RE, Goerend triple disk TC & shift kit || 4" Turbo Back, 22" KMC (XD) Bombs, Airdog II-4G Lift Pump

3 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Does anyone have any other suggestion?

Only if it doesn't have to be German.

edit: sorry, European

My Build --- CPU: i7-5820K @ 4.3 GHz || MoBo: Asus X99-A || RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2400 4x4GB || Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 AIO || GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || Broken Optical Drive || G502 & G710 || PG278Q, PB278Q, VG248QE

My Car --- 1998.5 24v Cummins || ECSB || 47RE, Goerend triple disk TC & shift kit || 4" Turbo Back, 22" KMC (XD) Bombs, Airdog II-4G Lift Pump

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

Only if it doesn't have to be German.

edit: sorry, European

Ok so I will show some options that I can afford and are these the good used cars? Also I am not getting insurance for the car

Audi A6 S-Line 2.8L 2012 (60 km of usage)

$23.812

Audi Q7 S-Line Quattro 2011 (63 km of usage)

$29.447

Audi A6 Quattro S-Tronic 2012 (25 km of usage)

$34.880

Audi A6 S-Line Package 2012 (15 km of usage)

$26.764

BMW 320i SPORT LCi F30 2016 (13 km of usage) (seems to be a good latest car)

$43.265

BMW 320i Sport F30 2013 (57 km of usage)

$24.483

"I want things to matter i hate it when things are just, whatever. Cable management, whatever. Fan placement, whatever. Thermal paste application, whatever."

-Luke Lafreniere from CPU & Heatsink Lapping - Are concave, convex, or flat heatsinks best for cooling? 3:14

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-I am a Value Oriented shopper, always thinking if something is worth over the other.

-I personally look air cooling First,  if not go all out in Custom water cooling for Aesthetics.

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

I am a Logitech Fan, gonna get that G633 Artemis Spectrum Headset. Since then I am interested (and open to other reputable brands) to sound quality and the Audiosphere.

1 hour ago, Cereal5 said:

Since when was a 4 series basic?

Btw, it's the other way around. A 4 series is a luxyury 3 series (as i said above)

I was disagreeing with @bcredeur97 when he said the 435i was a basic model...but I typo'd "basic 3 series" when I actually meant "basic 4 series"...

...hey, it was early :P 

I always though BMW split the coupe off into a seperate 4 series designation just so they could sell more of them. It sounds more impressive when you're marketing the same car as you were before, but with it's own larger number as a name...afaik there's nothing spec wise you can get in the 4er that you can't have in a similarly highly specced 3.

*** Temporarily demoted to a 'Businessman Gamer' *** 

Lenovo Thinkpad X230t  [docked + eGPU] 
i5 3320m  ~  500gb ssd  ~  16gb  ~  Palit GTX680 4gb  

9 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

I always though BMW split the coupe off into a seperate 4 series designation just so they could sell more of them. It sounds more impressive when you're marketing the same car as you were before, but with it's own larger number as a name...afaik there's nothing spec wise you can get in the 4er that you can't have in a similarly highly specced 3.

Well, that's what the 4 series was marketed as at least. I never went and looked at the actual options on BMW's website. I don't want a BMW lol. And then they came out with the 4 series 4 door....... thus ruining the point of the 4 series. Just like when they came out with the 6 series 4 door... The 6 series was supposed to be the coupe version of the 5 series! But you know what they say... German Engineering.

Everything BMW does gets more confusing with each generational jump.

They split bodystyles into a seperate designations, the E90/91/92 all refers to the same generation 3 series. Then they dropped the E prefix in favour of F for no apparent reason, and now they're putting 4 doors into traditionally 2 door models...don't get me started on how they ruined their engine naming, technical names AND model names. The 140i? just a facelifted 135i, engine is the same, the names haven't held a meaningly representation of the powerplant in a loooong time...

But I wouldn't say no to a 140i... :ph34r:

Car-meme.jpg.5b2242e50bde8d34ca2eb54f684bcd5c.jpg

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play Paladins & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The LAN PC 5.0

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Everything BMW does gets more confusing with each generational jump.

They split bodystyles into a seperate designations, the E90/91/92 all refers to the same generation 3 series. Then they dropped the E prefix in favour of F for no apparent reason, and now they're putting 4 doors into traditionally 2 door models...don't get me started on how they ruined their engine naming, technical names AND model names. The 140i? just a facelifted 135i, engine is the same, the names haven't held a meaningly representation of the powerplant in a loooong time...

I think that irks me the most. The numbers used to actually mean something. If you own an E36 330ci, we know you have a 00-06 bmw coupe with a 3 liter I6. It's not that hard.

8 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

But I wouldn't say no to a 140i... :ph34r:

:o

35 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I think that irks me the most. The numbers used to actually mean something. If you own an E46 330ci, we know you have a 00-06 bmw coupe with a 3 liter I6. It's not that hard.

:o

With my car, there's one model that doesn't line up. The 323 actually uses the 2.5L engine...it's like a detuned 325. 

But that's almost an E36 meme it's so well known. Back then it was an exception to the rule. These days it's anybodys guess 9_9

3 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Since when was a 4 series basic?

Btw, it's the other way around. A 4 series is a luxyury 3 series (as i said above)

4 series isnt a luxury 3 series.

Its a 3 series coupe

System specs: Core i5 4690k @ 4.2GHz, MSI Z97 AC, 8GB HyperX Fury Blue 1866, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX.

Planned build: Core i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, MSI Z97 AC, 16GB HyperX Fury Black 1866, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, NZXT H440, Predator X34.

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £597 (£222 with sales)
  • Games owned: 53
  • Games not played: 12 (23%)
  • Hours on record: 2,346.4h

3 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

I was disagreeing with @bcredeur97 when he said the 435i was a basic model...but I typo'd "basic 3 series" when I actually meant "basic 4 series"...

...hey, it was early :P 

Well um there’s the “basic” BMW’s and then there’s the M cars. Lol

thats all I meant really

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

7 hours ago, warmmilk said:

ah yes... I miss my evo... regret never taking it to the track... 

all 7+ evo's have a stationary rev limiter (think its 5500 rpm), idk if that could be considered a proper 2 step tho... but it could be added in with a tune for all of them and the launch rpm adjusted.  ACD tuning isn't a requirement for launch control.  keep in mind doing launches like this will eventually grenade your transmission or transfer case or rear diff...  they can be rebuilt much stronger, but a stock sti 6spd is still king for handling awd launch abuse.  pretty much the only thing the sti does better than the evo...

as far as fancy AWD bit, only the X got the active rear diff in the US, 8 and 9 have a regular mechanical rear diff.  they do all the active center diff. 

Ohhh, awesome dude, it's always great to learn more and more. I'm not from N. America nor Europe, that's why I never been inside of an evo and i'm asking all of these questions. Do you mind if I ask you somethings from time to time? never met an evo owner b4.
About the ASC button, is it an exclusive feature of Evo X or the the three models before this one have it as well? If it doesn't, how are you suposed to use the rev limiter in order to launch the car? (sorry if i'm asking something wrong or dumb, just trying to learn more about the car)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2 GHz Stock; Mobo: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 2; RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz; GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 (Waiting for RTX 2070); Case: pcyes Polar Bear; Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB; Cooling: Deepcool 240T; PSU: CX750M 2015

15 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Roaling coal is half the point lol. But I will say, I need a turbo 5 cylinder in my life at some point. Preferably an 09 Focus RS but I can compromise with an Audi or maybe a Volvo wagon

volvo ... a compromise? the focus uses a higher tuned volvo engine but the volvo will be way comfier while going nearly as fast o.O

15 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

It’s probably faster than your DD (edit: and still gets better mileage)

A cat-less gasoline car is way worse than a diesel running rich. And speaking of, at least Diesel engines don’t have to worry about AFRs lol, no risk of blowing the motor up cause it’s tuned too lean. 

yes its faster than my feet.... and no... i dont need to buy expensive fuel for my feet :P 

13 hours ago, MyLittleFella said:

Hahaha awesome, dude, you're really saving me with those doubts. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.
Can I keep asking tho? I really want to continue to learn more about evos, I really wanna own one someday.
I know that AWC was born w/ Evo 7, and the three of 'em (7, 8, 9) have the ACD button which is the basically the same of the 10's AWC button.
Now, talking about 2 step again, on the Evo X, in order to use the built in 2 step, you have to turn off the ASC though its button. But, I was looking for some 7, 8 and 9 pics and haven't seen any ASC button on the dash.
Questions:
1. Is it necessary to disable in order to use the 2-step (like, duuuh) but how?
2. Btw, do 7, 8 and 9 evos have the built in 2 step as well?

@Cereal5
I saw that you replied before, and it was a big help as well

@warmmilk
Just quoting you cuz of the evo X on your pic

Finally, I saw this video on YT but probably the ACD ECU is flashed and other mods of course.

basically what @warmmilk said ... 

24 minutes ago, MyLittleFella said:

Ohhh, awesome dude, it's always great to learn more and more. I'm not from N. America nor Europe, that's why I never been inside of an evo and i'm asking all of these questions. Do you mind if I ask you somethings from time to time? never met an evo owner b4.
About the ASC button, is it an exclusive feature of Evo X or the the three models before this one have it as well? If it doesn't, how are you suposed to use the rev limiter in order to launch the car? (sorry if i'm asking something wrong or dumb, just trying to learn more about the car)

id love to own an evo ... but they are a bit too expensive for me right now

really would love an Evo X with the SST

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Extreme ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

9 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

volvo ... a compromise? the focus uses a higher tuned volvo engine but the volvo will be way comfier while going nearly as fast o.O

yes its faster than my feet.... and no... i dont need to buy expensive fuel for my feet :P 

basically what @warmmilk said ... 

id love to own an evo ... but they are a bit too expensive for me right now

really would love an Evo X with the SST

I watched a vide of the SST, still prefer the Manual... Idk, I'm so used to manual cars.
Btw, what about the asc button on other evos? 🤔

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2 GHz Stock; Mobo: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 2; RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz; GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 (Waiting for RTX 2070); Case: pcyes Polar Bear; Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB; Cooling: Deepcool 240T; PSU: CX750M 2015

10 minutes ago, MyLittleFella said:

I watched a vide of the SST, still prefer the Manual... Idk, I'm so used to manual cars.
Btw, what about the asc button on other evos? 🤔

honestly dont know about that, maybe its a traction control button with the slidey car logo like this 

image.png.e30646eb21f0cd39ad290533ee69676c.png

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Extreme ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

41 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

honestly dont know about that, maybe its a traction control button with the slidey car logo like this 

image.png.e30646eb21f0cd39ad290533ee69676c.png

Maybe @warmmilk  can help us with that.
But thank you guys for the help, loved to learn a few more things.
Was coming home from work today saw 2 evos <3 Made my day.

2 hours ago, MyLittleFella said:

I'm not exactly sure what buttons which models have, but like @PandaCopyRight said, turn off traction control and go.  well really you can do it with TC on, it'll just kill the power right after you let the clutch out... haha

feel free to ask questions

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Coilovers will be here tomorrow! SO HYPED!

I drive a Honda, but i'm a Toyota boy at heart.

I use Apple products, and I like it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820GM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750 RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

9 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

I'm not exactly sure what buttons which models have, but like @PandaCopyRight said, turn off traction control and go.  well really you can do it with TC on, it'll just kill the power right after you let the clutch out... haha

feel free to ask questions

Just found the answer we been looking for:
https://www.downshiftaus.com/2013/dans-evolution-ix/

TLDR: Being the previous-to-current model, it has also seen many improvements over the years, such as MIVEC (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system), a revised turbocharger and controllable center differential, however in regards to electronic driver aids, this model only features ABS. No traction control, no stability control and a traditional 6 speed manual. Explaining why this version of the evolution has become so desirable.

@PandaCopyRight

19 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

It’s probably faster than your DD (edit: and still gets better mileage)

A cat-less gasoline car is way worse than a diesel running rich. And speaking of, at least Diesel engines don’t have to worry about AFRs lol, no risk of blowing the motor up cause it’s tuned too lean

Not true , EGTs are a thing and directly connected to your air fuel ratio.

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

On 9/13/2018 at 3:00 PM, bcredeur97 said:

"For the Torx type of design, the angle is much closer to 90º than in the case of the hex head, and so for a given torque the potentially damaging radial force is much lower. "

-- Wikipedia

*shower thought*

Wait...

If torx bits are better for not damaging the bits, then why does my car only use them where there are plastic panels being held on (low torque) and use standard hex bolts everywhere else???

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Purple Build Post --- Please use quotes or tag people in replies, otherwise we wont respond in a timely manner ---  Blue Build Post

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX970 FTW    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

*shower thought*

Wait...

If torx bits are better for not damaging the bits, then why does my car only use them where there are plastic panels being held on (low torque) and use standard hex bolts everywhere else???

Because they want you to break the important ones 

xD

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Because they want you to break the important ones 

xD

Doesnt help that they're T30 but the screws themselves are super thin.... My mothers Jeep used T30 bolts for the hardtop but those screws were of an appropriate thickness to support the sheering force of a weighty hard top shifting around....

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Purple Build Post --- Please use quotes or tag people in replies, otherwise we wont respond in a timely manner ---  Blue Build Post

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX970 FTW    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7