Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Not without a tune to the ECU of the engine. 

So probably not worth it?

I should just save up for a better car?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

29 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Not without a tune to the ECU of the engine. 

granted you can do some stuff and not tune.. (minor cam, intake/exhaust, increase compression and even displacement (so long as it's very small differences) the gains are very minimal though and the risk of it running incorrectly is too high

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

What is a cool, realitivly cheap, but fun car to save for?

I like a lot of the cool 90s jdm cars, some of them are very interesting, like the autozam az-1.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

@MEC-777 You should get another haha

DSC07097.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

4 hours ago, spwath said:

I like a lot of the cool 90s jdm cars, some of them are very interesting, like the autozam az-1.

Around 10-15K USD can get you into a Skyline. And many many importers will let you do financing it your credit is good enough. HP Logic in Florida and Japanese Classics in Virginia are two of the best in the country in all honesty. They will also ship cars to you if need be. HP logic I know will do all sorts of work to the car before you pick it up if you decide. From minor tune ups, to 700whp builds

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Don't get a skyline. I've know a few people with them and they're a royal ass when something skyline specific breaks.

Stick with something that's been sold here so you can get parts here without a hassle. Miata, Civic Si, Celica, MR2 Spyder, Corvette, Mustang with IRS, etc.

23 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Around 10-15K USD can get you into a Skyline. And many many importers will let you do financing it your credit is good enough. HP Logic in Florida and Japanese Classics in Virginia are two of the best in the country in all honesty. They will also ship cars to you if need be. HP logic I know will do all sorts of work to the car before you pick it up if you decide. From minor tune ups, to 700whp builds

Skylines are pretty cool, but they are still pretty "common" as far as cool Japanese cars go. Though I would definitely consider one.

1 hour ago, spwath said:

Skylines are pretty cool, but they are still pretty "common" as far as cool Japanese cars go. Though I would definitely consider one.

R32s and R33s are both legal now, and the Sedan variants tend to go under most people's radars quite often, And with a GTR front end, I personally prefer them to the Coupes

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-nissan-skyline-sedan/

1990 Nissan Skyline Sedan

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

20 hours ago, spwath said:

I have started watching initial d, and now I have started doing some more spirited driving, making me realize two things:

1. I like driving

2. My Impreza hatchback has no power

7 hours ago, spwath said:

So is there any easy way to add more horsepower to a car? I have a 2012 Impreza. Do cold air intakes, exhausts, or other "easy" things do much?

6 hours ago, spwath said:

I like where this is going ahahah

IDK how the US market is used car wise, but how much is a six/eight cylinder BMW that isn't fucked to no end? (totally unbiased me recommending BMWs :ph34r:)

Honestly, I'd look at Civics, even considering the bad rep people give to them. As long as you don't become a fart can kind of guy or the usual turbo civic look at me pulling on you kind of guy, I'd say you're good. A properly tuned Civic is great for dailying and for the twisties, I would say. I say Civic, but that isn't the only model you should look at. Accords, Integras, Preludes, the lot.

I usually don't speak of Toyotas because they here were almost never sold with /high/ output engines, other than the VVTLi equipped cars, which are expensive as shit (here), but if you can find a Corolla XRS (05/06), that isn't a bad car either, I'd dare say.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

@MEC-777 Lars Kern sets new production car lap record

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

6 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I like where this is going ahahah

IDK how the US market is used car wise, but how much is a six/eight cylinder BMW that isn't fucked to no end? (totally unbiased me recommending BMWs :ph34r:)

Honestly, I'd look at Civics, even considering the bad rep people give to them. As long as you don't become a fart can kind of guy or the usual turbo civic look at me pulling on you kind of guy, I'd say you're good. A properly tuned Civic is great for dailying and for the twisties, I would say. I say Civic, but that isn't the only model you should look at. Accords, Integras, Preludes, the lot.

I usually don't speak of Toyotas because they here were almost never sold with /high/ output engines, other than the VVTLi equipped cars, which are expensive as shit (here), but if you can find a Corolla XRS (05/06), that isn't a bad car either, I'd dare say.

I mean, if FWD was an option, you know I'd vote Saab ?

For some AWD goodies, Saab 9-2X Aero (05 WRX with some STI goodies, and a Saab front end)

6 hours ago, spwath said:

relatively cheap and fun? hard to beat a smaller car with a turbo 4 cylinder.

not JDM but could be fun ... an Audi with a 1.8T 20v something like a 1st gen TT or A3 or maybe A4... shouldnt be expensive for the lower power variants and are available FWD or AWD 

maybe get a saab? cough @RevoltTrain cough :ph34r:

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Taking a leaf out of Joker's book and bought some Vinyl for my dash. IDK how to apply it so hope it turns out OK. Some of the premium Peugeot paint is coming off one of the panels so thought I'd try that too. 

[EDIT]

Went through 4 phases:

1) Oh this will be easy just like a sticker

2) Oh fuck what have I done

3) This doesn't look so bad now (It does). 

22 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@MEC-777 @warmmilk

DSC09521.thumb.jpg.336f18d027ae80e12ed00d837be53eeb.jpgDSC09584.thumb.jpg.d91341869860ca6b33ab7aa7e75cdb7b.jpg

IMSA rolls in next weekend, and the transporters are already on site.

Untitled.thumb.png.c0406ecd7b61574621b52d1b751523e5.png

I might be needing to steel some of his cooling / ducting ideas in the near future...

(reply cont below)

18 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

both of these are cool and all... but does anyone know what kinda time Will posted at Pikes Peak?  I know he placed 3rd...  which is amazing for a first outing (unless the class only has 3 cars in it...)

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

@vetali @Real_PhillBert

This got the bolt off btw. With the special Lisle socket that weighs over a pound 

Tried the cheap harbor freight corded one too. It did not get the bolt off. I’ll be returning that. 

this thing got the bolt off literally instantly. Pulled the trigger and it instantly spun out didn’t even hit that many times really.

does what it seems a $300 tool should do. Although it means I could of just paid someone to do the timing belt instead of me DIY’ing it lol

no video but the engine does run fine. Did all the fluids and the hood latch & cable which was easy apart from those stupid clips... I may have cheated a bit with the cable routing putting it back together, lol. 

I did brakes too

Now onto suspension issues. On its maiden voyage on my way back I decided to test the new brakes, braked hard, heard a loud bang from the front right, and now everytime you press the brakes you get a bang from the front right and the car stops almost instantly. Not sure if the control arm bushings completely broke or what... I can kick the wheel as hard as i want and it doesn’t move? I was pretty aggravated After I did all that work and that happened yesterday so I just left it parked and went to bed lol.

E870D864-299C-46D6-BB3E-0F4A4A0976C9.jpeg

2FEAA23F-733A-4D9E-BA12-1B0B4C1F81BE.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@warmmilk

11:03.988 which puts him P3 in Unlimited (5 entries), P24 overall

https://ppihc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019-Overall-Results.pdf

Folding@Home | BOINC

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetali @Real_PhillBert

This got the bolt off btw. With the special Lisle socket that weighs over a pound 

Tried the cheap harbor freight corded one too. It did not get the bolt off. I’ll be returning that. 

this thing got the bolt off literally instantly. Pulled the trigger and it instantly spun out didn’t even hit that many times really

Newer dewalt stuff is pretty good, but they don't make a battery ratchet unless you go with Mac, which uses the dewalt 12v. 

I'm still using the snap on stuff with the 14.4v batteries. Milwaukee with the 18v batteries. I do have a Milwaukee dremel tool that I haven't used since having it repaired. My mid torque is in for repairs right now. Not a good stretch for the Milwaukee stuff so far. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

Spotted during my lunch break 

VideoCapture_20190702-141813.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1972 Maserati Boomarang concept 

weirdest dashboard ever?

D42B898D-3770-4399-9BBE-9CFAE148358E.png

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

weirdest dashboard ever?

-snip-

Okay but where's the horn?

This is like the Spy Kids watch that does everything you could ever want in a wrist gadget EXCEPT Tell time

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Okay but where's the horn?

This is like the Spy Kids watch that does everything you could ever want in a wrist gadget EXCEPT Tell time

Being a maserati its probably a pedal

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

weirdest dashboard ever?

D42B898D-3770-4399-9BBE-9CFAE148358E.png

thats like a school bus steering wheel lol!