Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 6/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, bcredeur97 said:

its bbr... known for claiming overly optimistic calculated crank hp numbers... kinda like gwr but even worse

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

42 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

its bbr... known for claiming overly optimistic calculated crank hp numbers... kinda like gwr but even worse

Oh

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

After even normal synthetic oil not lasting in my car for very long, I'm thinking about switching to T5 rotella oil. Any input? I've read a few forums and seen some Z drivers do it, though my car isn't a Z I'm sure it'll be fine. I've been sinking some money into my car as of late.. new sparkplug wires(wow these are pricy), I got new wheels and tires, headlights, yikes 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

BTCC at Croft this week-end, I'll be there tomorrow :) 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

10 hours ago, veldora said:

After even normal synthetic oil not lasting in my car for very long, I'm thinking about switching to T5 rotella oil. Any input? I've read a few forums and seen some Z drivers do it, though my car isn't a Z I'm sure it'll be fine. I've been sinking some money into my car as of late.. new sparkplug wires(wow these are pricy), I got new wheels and tires, headlights, yikes 

I've done a bit of reading on this and the concensus was that it doesn't actually protect better or actually last longer, if your engine is hard on oil you need to know why and get an oil that better copes with that problem. Shear, heat, contamination, etc. And how are you gauging it not lasting long? TBN analysis?

13 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I've done a bit of reading on this and the concensus was that it doesn't actually protect better or actually last longer, if your engine is hard on oil you need to know why and get an oil that better copes with that problem. Shear, heat, contamination, etc. And how are you gauging it not lasting long? TBN analysis?

Nothing too scientific about how long it lasts, just color basically. I'm not a scientist or anything, but I check it at intervals just to see the fill level and how dark it's getting. I understand that it'll mix with old oil since it's not a full flush. It just gets dark really quick, the synthetic is dark brown right now... And it only has 2.5k miles on it so I don't think that should be like that. It's not a super high mileage vehicle either. My guess is that it just doesn't hold a lot of oil and the little it holds just gets its use idk. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

33 minutes ago, veldora said:

Nothing too scientific about how long it lasts, just color basically. I'm not a scientist or anything, but I check it at intervals just to see the fill level and how dark it's getting. I understand that it'll mix with old oil since it's not a full flush. It just gets dark really quick, the synthetic is dark brown right now... And it only has 2.5k miles on it so I don't think that should be like that. It's not a super high mileage vehicle either. My guess is that it just doesn't hold a lot of oil and the little it holds just gets its use idk. 

Color is just an indicator of how much dirt and carbon your oil is picking up. A lab used oil analysis would be better. Black stone labs will let you send them your old oil for like $40 and they will analyze it for you if you want

Clean your intake system and get a new OEM style air filter if you think it’s getting dirty too fast. Also change your PCV valve

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

42 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Color is just an indicator of how much dirt and carbon your oil is picking up. A lab used oil analysis would be better. Black stone labs will let you send them your old oil for like $40 and they will analyze it for you if you want

Clean your intake system and get a new OEM style air filter if you think it’s getting dirty too fast. Also change your PCV valve

Yeah I've thought about sending it to a lab, it'd be cool to know what's going on. I've replaced the air filter. Most things have been replaced on this engine before 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

64 Covette has crashed out

w1fd0z3tdpxboln2xwv2.pnghttps://streamable.com/e24lt

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

4 hours ago, veldora said:

Send a sample off to Blackstone Lab for analysis, costs $25 but it's worth it to know what's up with your engine and how the oil is doing. A better filter might cut down on particulates darkening the oil, I'm partial to the Purolator top or second tier filters. Color doesn't mean a lot for engine oil. 

Really strange qualifying session today at Croft, 5 red flags. 3 of the red flags were caused by the foam bales and the other 2 were caused by a crash and a car getting stuck in the grass with a split tire. There was also rain near the end of the session, I don't think I've ever seen a qualifying session as hectic as this before.  

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

6 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Isn’t T5 conventional? I don’t know what car you have but I’ve been using T6 in the vehicles I’ve driven and really like it

T4 is conventional, T5 is a synthetic blend, and T6 is full synthetic.

I run T6 in my 400EX. good stuff. I'm in the process of switching to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from Mobil 1 full synthetic based on Project Farm's oil testing series. Mobil 1 did okay, but Pennzoil is the same price but took second overall in testing.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I saw that! I wanna run ultra plat in the tahoe but its not available at localest walmart or on prime on amazon soooo prob going to run regular plat next oil change. Wish rotella t6 was 10-40. 

why so thick? I'm sure your engine calls for a 5w-20 or 5w-30 right?

Edit: Wally World sells it online with free shipping on anything more than $35. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/55291206

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

4 hours ago, FuzzyYellow said:

T4 is conventional, T5 is a synthetic blend, and T6 is full synthetic.

I run T6 in my 400EX. good stuff. I'm in the process of switching to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from Mobil 1 full synthetic based on Project Farm's oil testing series. Mobil 1 did okay, but Pennzoil is the same price but took second overall in testing.

I want to see him do actual heated mechanical testing with those oils for something real world. Just because something flows really well hot/cold doesn't mean is has the film strength to protect the metal in your engine.

Project Farm is entertaining to watch but that's about it, it's scientainment.

I've bounced between brands and types on my 2ZZ but have just been running 5W-40 synthetic at 5K intervals lately. 5W-40 is what Lotus suggests for track use with the 2ZZ, I don't track it (yet?) but I do run it hard when I take it out and there is metal on metal contact for the high lift cam lobes so oil film strength is critical when you're going into lift often and staying in lift which with the automatic it's easier to stay in lift because of the longer gears after 1st. There's a nice set of oil sprayers in the valve cover that keep it all bathed in oil all the time which really is nice to have, the high lift cam lobes are pretty rounded with long duration so they don't jump much, and the metal shoes they ride on are a sintered material I think which holds oil well and has some self lubricity also. It's similar to the shoes a SR20 cam lobes ride on, but there's a dual cam lobe setup where the low lift cam lobes ride on roller rockers and then in high lift mode the lifters lock and engage the high lift cam lobes. It's a pretty drastic change over but that's partly because of how Toyota tuned it to 'kick' into lift so it feels dramatic, blah.

12 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Really strange qualifying session today at Croft, 5 red flags. 3 of the red flags were caused by the foam bales and the other 2 were caused by a crash and a car getting stuck in the grass with a split tire. There was also rain near the end of the session, I don't think I've ever seen a qualifying session as hectic as this before.  

Seems like there's quite a delayed start to the racing today, first race isnt until lunch time and its a BTCC one, no support races early on?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

8 overtakes 7 with a puncture. Both cars need a splash to get to the end.

Folding@Home | BOINC

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

Project Farm is entertaining to watch but that's about it, it's scientainment.

I've bounced between brands and types on my 2ZZ but have just been running 5W-40 synthetic at 5K intervals lately. 5W-40 is what Lotus suggests for track use with the 2ZZ, I don't track it (yet?) but I do run it hard when I take it out and there is metal on metal contact for the high lift cam lobes so oil film strength is critical when you're going into lift often and staying in lift which with the automatic it's easier to stay in lift because of the longer gears after 1st. There's a nice set of oil sprayers in the valve cover that keep it all bathed in oil all the time which really is nice to have, the high lift cam lobes are pretty rounded with long duration so they don't jump much, and the metal shoes they ride on are a sintered material I think which holds oil well and has some self lubricity also. It's similar to the shoes a SR20 cam lobes ride on, but there's a dual cam lobe setup where the low lift cam lobes ride on roller rockers and then in high lift mode the lifters lock and engage the high lift cam lobes. It's a pretty drastic change over but that's partly because of how Toyota tuned it to 'kick' into lift so it feels dramatic, blah.

I couldn't agree more , lost interest when I saw the scuff/friction test, gear oil would pass that test with flying colours but you wouldn't use that in your engine. That test along with the rich mixture/oil cap test was used as a scam in the 70s at motor shows to sell magic potions to unsuspecting customers (don't ask me if I'm old enough to remember)

Pete

1 hour ago, 711jrp said:

I couldn't agree more , lost interest when I saw the scuff/friction test, gear oil would pass that test with flying colours but you wouldn't use that in your engine. That test along with the rich mixture/oil cap test was used as a scam in the 70s at motor shows to sell magic potions to unsuspecting customers (don't ask me if I'm old enough to remember)

Yeah, thats the same rig the snake oil salesman uses in their demo whenever they come around.... I still sell it because it makes me a ton of money lul 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

So I spent the weekend with my folks for Fathers day; my dad is going to buy a new small pickup to replace his civic pretty soon, so we went and drove a Chevy Colorado, and a Ford Ranger.

I was really surprised how smooth the Chev powertrain was, when parked you really had to look at the tach to tell it was even running; silky smooth and super quiet. Sadly the rest of the Colorado was uninspiring, everything in the interior felt super cheap and the display on the dash was pretty slow to respond.

The Ranger was basically the polar opposite, the interior was great, and the electronics package was impressive. The 2.3L engine was MUCH louder than the 3.6L V6 in the Colorado, but the Ranger was also noticeably quicker and lighter on it's feet. 

As of right now he's kinda leaning to the Ranger but those are a couple grand more expensive, so could really go either way. 

But while we were there, I did see this GT350R sitting in the corner:

20190615-125812.jpg

Currently priced at $93k, a full $20k over the $73k sticker price. I like Mustangs, but my enthusiasm starts to wain as things get dangerously close to the six figure mark. 

They also had an F150 in almost the exact spec I would want one; 4-Door, short bed, 5.0L, 4x4, Lariat, locking rear end, 36gal fuel tank, center console, and trailer tow. $46k... Someday.

20190615-132203.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

9 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The 2.3L engine was MUCH louder than the 3.6L V6 in the Colorado

Are you just noting it's louder in the cabin, or was it also louder when you got out?

Our ST's do have the sound symposers so I wouldn't be surprised if they threw one of those into the 2.3L rangers to make people think they're being loud when they step on the gas. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Are you just noting it's louder in the cabin, or was it also louder when you got out?

Our ST's do have the sound symposers so I wouldn't be surprised if they threw one of those into the 2.3L rangers to make people think they're being loud when they step on the gas. 

Both inside and out, and this isn't the same noise as a sound symposer, its just engine noise. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

Both inside and out, and this isn't the same noise as a sound symposer, its just engine noise. 

That's good then. The symposers are silly and are never a good replacement for a proper exhaust!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

What a race

@MEC-777

48070644261_8b63105994_o.jpg

48073597507_5f0041b1fc_o.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC