techswede

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Follows have gone wonky and the people that still  care might want to re-follow the thread.
That is all. 

I've got a question, when does a car become a supercar? I know an RS6 is commonly regarded as a supercar but how about the just as fast/faster as well as more unique RS3? but does this mean that the term supercar is being diluted? 

System ProjectLuX

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 4.05 GHz

XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition @ 1490/2250 MHz

ASUS Prime X370-Pro

G.Skill 2x8 Trident Z RGB 3066CL16 

BeQuiet! Pure Rock 

Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass

Drives:

Boot Drive- Samsung 960 Evo 250GB

Scratch drive/Downloads folder/Wallpaper Engine- Sandisk 120GB Pulse 

Games- Seagate Barracuda Compute 3TB (2016)

Audio: 

Amplifier/DAC: Yamaha AS501 

Speakers: Dali Zensor 3

Subwoofer: Dali E12-F

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 

IEM: Cambridge Audio SE1

29 minutes ago, NerdModeEngaged said:
I've got a question, when does a car become a supercar? I know an RS6 is commonly regarded as a supercar but how about the just as fast/faster as well as more unique RS3? but does this mean that the term supercar is being diluted? 

Tough question as the term "Supercar" doesn't really have a tangible definition. 

Personally I wouldn't consider the RS6 or RS3 to be supercars. To me a supercar has to be a two seater and mid engined, YMMV. Don't get me wrong, the RS3 and RS6 are super cool cars, but not supercars. 

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Tough question as the term "Supercar" doesn't really have a tangible definition. 

Personally I wouldn't consider the RS6 or RS3 to be supercars. To me a supercar has to be a two seater and mid engined, YMMV. Don't get me wrong, the RS3 and RS6 are super cool cars, but not supercars. 

Ah yes, I think the problem with the term "supercar" is the fact that it does not have a definition, my definition is the fact that it has to be exotic, personally i don't really see the RS6 as being that exotic, yeah it is really fast and all and has tonnes of power, but it doesnt tick that exotic box. now here is where my personal definition fails me, as although the RS6 is not seen to be exotic, that inline 5 within the RS3 for me is what I would class as exotic, this is because it is horredously unique and sounds that way, However I can think of many cars that also are seen to be "supercars" without being two seated and mid engined, such as the LFA, GTC4Lusso,and even the F1, so yet together, both of our definitions actually fail to define what a supercar is, and this annoys me as this word is so commonly used, however nobody has an actual fixed definition of the word, even if you google it you get a very generic definition of "a high-performance sports car" which itself is irrelevant there are indeed some supercars, which themselves are not sports cars, for example the 720S actually isn't a sports car,  it is more of a GT car.

System ProjectLuX

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 4.05 GHz

XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition @ 1490/2250 MHz

ASUS Prime X370-Pro

G.Skill 2x8 Trident Z RGB 3066CL16 

BeQuiet! Pure Rock 

Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass

Drives:

Boot Drive- Samsung 960 Evo 250GB

Scratch drive/Downloads folder/Wallpaper Engine- Sandisk 120GB Pulse 

Games- Seagate Barracuda Compute 3TB (2016)

Audio: 

Amplifier/DAC: Yamaha AS501 

Speakers: Dali Zensor 3

Subwoofer: Dali E12-F

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 

IEM: Cambridge Audio SE1

23 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats still like 10 or so times more power than my moped had in a bike thats only twice the weight at most, so its still a pretty fast thing compared to what i have experience with. cant get my full bike lisence untill im 21 tho :( not sure if il bother getting it anyway, 47hp is plenty enough for most things, the main reason to get the full lisence would be to have more freedom in what i can and cant ride

I wouldn't mind an A2 license bike. And I think for commuting and some fun it might just be more than enough.

23 hours ago, Parptarf said:

So yeah, hi again.

Name's Stig (Yes really that is my given name).

I've had a bunch of beaters, but here's what I ride now.

The daily shitbox, a '01 E46 320i

pEWXd0k.jpg

And then the project car. 1971 VW 1301L nicknamed "White Rabbit 2.0"   (There was a number one too, but we don't talk about that car)

Welcome to the thread :D

I wouldn't mind having a "shitbox" like yours, wagon (touring in this case) + six cylinder noises :x

You've got some very nice photos on your portfolio, ngl. Good job

"Everyone dies alone. But if you meant something to someone, if you helped someone, or loved someone, if even a single person remembers you, then maybe you never really die. And maybe, this isn't the end at all."

3 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

A lot of that has to do with people having a tendency to turn the subs bass boost up way too high and having the low pass filter too low. "I need the thump and all the SPLs!!!", Instead of tuning them to compliment their current setup.

Too many people don't configure them well or even set them up properly. I've seen so many people with the wrong gauge wiring or straight up noodle spaghetti. Tuning it well with software is the best thing you can do. 

Speaking of software I wish someone would update Diagbox so I can use it without buying the Lexia kit. I already have an OBD2 adapter so it's very frustrating. 

The proportion of functional changes is the ratio of the rate of non-synonymous mutations over the rate of synonymous mutations using two lineages. Non-synonymous mutations are functional changes to the genome. Synonymous mutations are ‘silent’ mutations which do not change amino acids (simply changing the third base in a codon will not result in an amino acid change). In a long period, positive selection, selection that favours the fixation of an allele that will increase fitness of the species, will increase the fixation rate of function-altering mutations that are beneficial. During positive selection the proportion of functional changes will be altered according to the ratio as described above (In formulae; Ka/Ks). The Ka/Ks test, or the proportion of functional changes, describes the rate of functional changes in terms of selection, wherein Ka/Ks < 1, the mutations will evolve by genetic drift or negative selection. If Ka/Ks = 1 there is a nuetral selection occuring. If Ka/Ks is > 1, then there is positive selection occuring.