Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I hope I'm not misusing the thread, but I'm looking to buy a fun, new-ish car soon and I'd like to get a second opinion on the matter.

Here's what I'm considering:

• 2016/2017 Mustang GT
  • 2016-2018 BMW M140i
  • 2016-2018 Seat Leon Cupra 300

My main criteria is decent reliability, a manual option and a price of around 30.000€ (this is in Germany). Has anyone here owned any of these or can otherwise chime in as to what they'd recommend? I'm leaning towards the Mustang for novelty factor and the V8, but it's the most expensive. Still, the M140i is crazy fast for what it is and the Cupra would be the best bang for your buck. I'm torn, so any input is much appreciated! 

1 hour ago, Kevaros said:

I hope I'm not misusing the thread, but I'm looking to buy a fun, new-ish car soon and I'd like to get a second opinion on the matter.

• 2016/2017 Mustang GT
  • 2016-2018 BMW M140i

My main criteria is decent reliability, a manual option and a price of around 30.000€ (this is in Germany). Has anyone here owned any of these or can otherwise chime in as to what they'd recommend? I'm leaning towards the Mustang for novelty factor and the V8, but it's the most expensive. Still, the M140i is crazy fast for what it is and the Cupra would be the best bang for your buck. I'm torn, so any input is much appreciated! 

Driven a manual cupra 290, youd enjoy it much more as DSG.

Same with the m140i, theyre just better with the DCT.

From personal experience I'd recommend an FK2 Type R but im not sure what prices are like on the continent. 

LRM_EXPORT_14357546262884_20181127_130735705.jpeg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

42 minutes ago, Kevaros said:

• 2016/2017 Mustang GT
  • 2016-2018 BMW M140i

you are welcome with all car (or bike) questions 

i would go Seat, but would keep the M140i as a close 2nd option ... but i think the seat would be waaay better as a dsg not a manual

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

33 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i would go Seat, but would keep the M140i as a close 2nd option ... but i think the seat would be waaay better as a dsg not a manual

The VW DSG box has a reputation for going expensively wrong. For that reason I'd suggest the manual.

1 hour ago, Kevaros said:

• 2016/2017 Mustang GT
  • 2016-2018 BMW M140i

I'd pick the M140i. Straight 6 engine, power going to the rear as god intended. Also it is one of the last of the small BMWs to be available like this. The next 1&2 series will be FWD or AWD, and 4 cylinder only. In Europe the new 340i will only be available as AWD and I believe automatic only too. Get one while you still can.

Just now, Monkey Dust said:

The VW DSG box has a reputation for going expensively wrong. For that reason I'd suggest the manual.

my experience with it is that its ultra smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth, cousins family car has one and i have drive that around a bit. think its a 2016 or so with no problems in it but thats a sample size of one so that dosnt account for much i guess

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

How many times do we have to tell you to stop putting distributors in the rear end?

Hey, if it fits it sits ?

Just like those block toys - you can force the square block into the circle hole if you try hard enough.

2 hours ago, Kevaros said:

• 2016/2017 Mustang GT
  • 2016-2018 BMW M140i

honestly get a mustang. or the bmw as a 2nd place. mustang probably is the worst choice for europe but i mean it's probably the most fun with a v8. m140i just get it before bmw shifts to a fwd architecture for their smaller cars (which is quite possibly the stupidest move ever tbh).

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Driven a manual cupra 290, youd enjoy it much more as DSG.

Same with the m140i, theyre just better with the DCT.

From personal experience I'd recommend an FK2 Type R but im not sure what prices are like on the continent. 

59 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Thanks, guys!

I'd been considering the DSG options, but I have a dual-clutch auto in my current car and have been wanting to go back to a manual for a while.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

I'd pick the M140i. Straight 6 engine, power going to the rear as god intended. Also it is one of the last of the small BMWs to be available like this. The next 1&2 series will be FWD or AWD, and 4 cylinder only. In Europe the new 340i will only be available as AWD and I believe automatic only too. Get one while you still can.

Good point! The downsizing trend in particular is what made me consider the Mustang as well. You never know when these big NA engines are going extinct. Then again, the M140 seems like a great compromise. Still a relatively big engine, RWD, manual, plus decent space and cost.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

As far as i know .. it was only the early ones ... untill about 2008-2009 ish, the later years have next to no issues,but as any expensive gearbox, if something goes horribly wrong .. its expensive  ... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Has anyone else gotten yelled at for there vehicle when in a parking garage? I was at the doctors office and when I went to leave and as I was going back up some gentleman started yelling at me, saying my truck was "too damn obnoxious", as I was going passed him. I was literally idling around in second gear at about 1K (15mph).

50 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

As far as i know .. it was only the early ones ... untill about 2008-2009 ish, the later years have next to no issues,but as any expensive gearbox, if something goes horribly wrong .. its expensive  ... 

2008 and after dont have much problems if u get six speed auto some times it might detect a problem and shut itself off to one gear and it might shudder

52 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

also may have bearing problems

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

At some point, soon, his insurance rates will be soo high he won't be able to afford to insure a new or even newer car.

Glad to hear everyone is ok. I sold my Mint 95 F150 to someone in a similar situation. Kinda feel bad for the truck ?

5 hours ago, Kevaros said:

• 2016/2017 Mustang GT
  • 2016-2018 BMW M140i

Obviously I’m gonna recommend the Mustang (but the BMW is RWD also so that’s good). The trans is really smooth and has a nice OD 6th gear for cruising. You can include the 2015 in your search if you want. They’re the same from 2015-2017. 2018 is when the front end and engine were updated (unless there’s a year specific color you want or something). And ya know. 435 hp.

2 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Has anyone else gotten yelled at for there vehicle when in a parking garage? I was at the doctors office and when I went to leave and as I was going back up some gentleman started yelling at me, saying my truck was "too damn obnoxious", as I was going passed him. I was literally idling around in second gear at about 1K (15mph).

Haven’t been yelled at but I get looks all the time. My truck probably is just too loud to hear people yelling. It sounds amazing in parking garages, I make sure to spend my time in them wisely.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

7 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Get out there @bcredeur97

hey those are my all seasons that I daily! 

See, told you guys they were great :P (so long as it's dry). where I live it's all I need really. Winter is usually dry, little bit of rain, ice & snow is maybe a once every 5 years thing.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Decided to try my hand at refinishing rims.  I've had these Volk te37 for a long time but they where in rough shape from the previous owner.  Lots of curb rash, peeling stickers, cracking paint, and super dirty.

Just painted the one rim so far, still prepping the others.  Wasn't sure how much I would like the new colour but seeing them in person now I think it will go good on a black car.

WlfAHjS.jpg

sKhpLMa.jpg

ehe5fk8.jpg

cnjW0uI.jpg

53 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

Decided to try my hand at refinishing rims.  I've had these Volk te37 for a long time but they where in rough shape from the previous owner.  Lots of curb rash, peeling stickers, cracking paint, and super dirty.

Just painted the one rim so far, still prepping the others.  Wasn't sure how much I would like the new colour but seeing them in person now I think it will go good on a black car.

It looks a hell of a lot better even just in the 3rd picture. On the car pics when? ?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

22 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

But think about how you're saving the environment! /s

.... sucks to be saving the enviroment ? well the 150% (lowered from 180%) and the 25 sales tax on top of that, could be removed, then yeah still hammer on high emissions cars, but let us buy economic larger cars, the passat i have is the 1.4L 150hp 0-62 mph in 8.7 sec, that is not fast... 

27 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

.... sucks to be saving the enviroment ? well the 150% (lowered from 180%) and the 25 sales tax on top of that, could be removed, then yeah still hammer on high emissions cars, but let us buy economic larger cars, the passat i have is the 1.4L 150hp 0-62 mph in 8.7 sec, that is not fast... 

womp womp

47 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

I'll add that to the list of why America is better ??

[Under Construction]

3 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

I'll add that to the list of why America is better ??

...for now

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yup.

wow. that's WAY worse than the ball joints I just replaced in my Tundra, and those were so bad that they flat-spotted the tires.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5