Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I would really love a 05+ Subaru Impreza (Wagon is best but I like either). Where I live they are not worth it though they are 10K + (With High mileage and a dents and whatnot)  :(

its for the break Power booster 

Cool, sorry for the mix-up...I should have read your earlier posts to keep from looking like a doofus.

vacuum pump on a diesel?

Yep. Diesels do not have throttle bodies so the intake manifold is not under vacuum like a spark ignition engine. They are always "wide open throttle" and use the fuel injection to control engine output. Vacuum assisted brake boosters go back over half a century and don't work without vacuum. Traditionally on a spark ignition engine, a simple hose is run from the intake manifold to the booster but diesels need a pump.

In the case of ELSknutson's Merc, I was confused because I've never seen a vacuum pump on a spark ignition engine before. I then quickly realized some of those engines are supercharged which would result in the intake manifold always being under positive pressure (boost) and would necessitate the use of a pump. I guess some crazy German engineer decided the brake assist needs to always work :)

For instance, my 4g63t DSM's brake booster turns into a brake resistor when I am in boost, but rarely do i need power brakes and turbo boost at the same time :lol: . On the other hand, superchargers provide positive intake pressures even at idle (boost) so another vacuum source is required.

I'm sure now that I think about it that any supercharged engine needs a vacuum pump of some sort, I've just never worked closely on one or thought about it that much.

Is your Merc supercharged/turbo ELSknutson?

Weekly topic. Regular car reviews. Review your own car in the most unbiased way possible

Finally!!! A weekly topic!!! What car should I review? I mean, I still dont own a car, but there are 4 in our garage...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Finally!!! A weekly topic!!! What car should I review? I mean, I still dont own a car, but there are 4 in our garage...

Amature ;)

7 cars in my immediate family.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Sometimes the idle controller uses engine coolant temperature (similar to the workings of a thermostat) to open/close the valve (which could get stuck closed when it is supposed to be open).

Hmm I'm going to think about this for a while. I have no idea what's going on :P

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if anything got stuck occasionally... 188k miles will do that.  :unsure: I'll see if I can get a video of it, won't have many chances because I don't have many places to go at the moment and don't want to use the gas if I don't have to. :P

Weekly topic. Regular car reviews. Review your own car in the most unbiased way possible

Uhh.. it works...gets decent gas mileage...

Edit: disregard. I derped.

We own four too, all VAGs. :P

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Amature ;)

Damn son.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Here's a template for the car reviews if anyone needs it. Just write down your thoughts on the car regarding those sections^^

Introduction/Overview (Make model and options go here)

Exterior

Interior

Powertrain

Ride and Handling

Closing thoughts

Pros

Cons

Common faults and things you've noticed about the car. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

My attempt at a review:

My car is a 2001 Volkswagen Bora mk4(also known as Jetta in some markets). It has about 220 000 kilometres or 137 000 miles.

kpdGXIx.jpg?1
AIcKom7.jpg?1
4Als7Th.jpg?1

Powertrain:
It has a 1,6_16v gasoline engine producing 105 hp and 148 nm of torque. It can run on 95e10 fuel. It has a 5-speed manual like most Boras here do.

Basics:
The car itself is essentially a Golf in a sedan form. It has four doors, it's big enough in the back and the boot is surprisingly large. I don't have exact measurements but just trust me :P It has light interior so I need to be more careful to keep it clean
It accelerates to the required speed of 120 km/h on the on-ramp just fine. It's no power monster and it can be a bit sluggish under 2500 rpm to accelerate.

Handling:
The only electronic driving aid is ABS. But I don't really find myself needing anything else, even during winter because winter tyres are mandatory. I can't say too much about the handling since I've only driven it on roads but I think it handles like any other FF layout car. The wheel is 2,5 turns to lock.

Fuel efficiency:
While driving on the motorway it gets about 6,9 L/100km or 34 mpg. The average consumption in the last 999kms is 8.1 L/100km or 29 mpg.

Summary:
To sum it up I find it to be a spacious, efficient and boring enough for me for the 3500 euros I paid for it. The only con with it at the moment is it has some break vibration. And it should be a safe car in the case of a crash, at least according to Volkswagen. Also I think that it has passed the point where it has lost most of it's value so I should get most of the money back if I sell it in reasonable time.
Major cons of it could possibly be small size and lack of power. It doesn't really have any cool factor either if that's your thing.

If you're buying a Volkswagen of this gen I'd be vary of the 1,6 FSI engine. But this car doesn't have it so it's all good.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Edit: disregard. I derped.

We own four too, all VAGs. :P

We own 5 VAG's :P

One dream, one soul, one prize, One goal, one golden glance of what should be, It's a kind of magic.

Yep. Diesels do not have throttle bodies so the intake manifold is not under vacuum like a spark ignition engine.

there was one of those things in my 1.6D

13743f.jpg

One dream, one soul, one prize, One goal, one golden glance of what should be, It's a kind of magic.

Oh it's beautiful. :wub:

It's now a show car and I sold it to my cousin. He has won several in-state awards.

Damn :wub:

Thanks but no longer own it. :(

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Intro

2011 Blue Jeans F-150. Had it for about 3 years, but not driven a lot try and keep it new. Creeping up on 40k miles though.

Exterior

71766735-640.jpg

^ Pretty much what it looks like, different grill and tires on mine.

Interior

57171373.jpg

Not mine, but that's how it looks.

2011_ford_f-150-pic-8936047692329683661.

Spaaaaaaaaceeeeeee!

Powertrain

3.5L EcoBoost, 6 speed automatic transmission, 4x4

Perky little engine I'll tell ya, it goes.

Ride and handling

The ride is nice, bumps are soaked up pretty well with no squeaks or rattles. Feels like a cushion of air under you if you haven't been in one recently or was recently in a car with a lot..rougher..ride. Handles pretty much like a car, with a bit more body roll to it. Good enough steering feel to tell you what's going on and pinpoint enough that you just point and go with no effort. The seats are great for travelling, from personal experience. Travelling across Texas in one go taking a few breaks to answer natures call, no back strain whatsoever. They hug you pretty well. Climate control buttons are easy to figure out with enough fine tuning to do what you want. Having media buttons on the steering wheel is nice when you're driving and needing to pay attention and want to turn the volume down for example. Plenty of leg room in the back seats, even in the slightly shorter cab. The seats aren't adjustable but have enough cushion to contour to your back so they're okay.

Pros

• I can pretty much haul most of you out of a ditch without a problem.
  • Towing and hauling capabilities, I've used the bed extensively filling it with things to move from point a to point b.
  • Gas mileage for a truck is above average.
  • Comfortable and quite snappy on the streets, doesn't feel like a tractor.

Cons

• It's not small, and I hate driving it in small parking lots. Love mirrors for towing, they help a lot but still.
  • No leather, booo. But that's only half a con. 120F outside and you want to burn your back? Be my guest. But it's still nice.
  • Gas mileage, while I get above average compared to most people (28 regularly on the highway, as high as 34/22-24 in the city), it still drinks gas more than I'd like. Especially when loaded.
  • Seats 6, but in reality 5. I'm likely to punch you if you're sitting in the middle seat up front just for getting in my way while driving. :P

-snip-

Nice truck and I prefer Ford over everything else. So I'm biased.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I can do this :P

2010 VW caddy - 1.6 TDI 75hp

Exterior
Shit

Interior
Can life with it

Powertrain
What power?

Ride and Handling
Steering is to light, almost no brake feel. felt like the back end was trying to overtake the front on a roundabout.

Closing thoughts
The radio has good FM reception 

Pros
lots of space in the back

Cons
Slow as balls

It didnt have cruise control

TechSwede's Golfball
yc4P5AHl.jpg

MK5 Volkswagen Golf Variant (Wagon) 1,6 multifuel

Exterior
Pretty boring to be honest. It's a grey and silver wagon. 
But it looks nice so no complaints here

Interior
OeKpNBsl.jpg
Straight out of an audi. They just added a lip along the windshield to make it fit properly.
But that's not a bad thing. It's got comfy seats with heaters that can go from pleasant to torture. A good stereo and it's all well arranged so i can comfortably reach it

Powertrain
lmssMC3l.jpg

1.6l FSI petrol engine coupled with a pretty standard 5 speed manual. Front wheel drive ( :(
The engine itself is not very interesting.. And covered in more plastic than kim kardashian.. 
But it is a really peppy engine. You have to give it a bit of support gas when you first set off but after that it revs well up to 3500rpm where it hits the powerband and then it takes off properly.
I still get surprised every time since it's just a 100 something hp engine and yet it can pull the almost two tonne body around like it weighed only half that. It also sounds nice.
The gearbox is well geared and has a nice feel to it. The H pattern could be a bit wider though. It's really tight between the gear positions. a cm makes the difference between getting 3rd or 5th

Ride and Handling
The ride is the typical german ride that i love so much. Comfortable without sacrificing handling capabilities. And if it wasn't for the extra weight making itself obvious during braking i'd swear i was driving a hatchback version.
The brakes are the only thing that ruins the illusion. They stop the car without any problems. But you can feel the weight every time you touch the brakes. Corners really well too. Long drives are a breeze in this

Closing thoughts.
In the end it's a modern german wagon. It does the job. Nothing more and nothing less. 

Pros.
Chick magnet. Many of the girls i know are drawn to it. Why? I have no idea.. 
Wagon. Need i say more?
Nobody notices it on the road. I feel like i'm driving the invisible aston martin that bond drove in one of his movies
Cup holders. The benz had none
OBD2 port

Cons
Gearbox H pattern too tight
Double Din stereo. Swapping is going to be a bitch
Drive by wire steering and gas. Probably brakes as well.. But i'm too afraid to check..
Rear window gets dirty fast.
Probably a bitch to work on

Nothing as of now. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I sorted it out the price mercedes quoted me for the parts was $2100 with out labor

the price I payed from shopping one ebay and parts dealers $400 all total with installation $720

for alternator, airfilters, and vacuum pump

Word. Anythings better than going to the "stealership".

base Nissan..... GTR

Exterior

acceptable, weak paint. Dozen down to metal chips

Interior

Straight out of an Nissan. 90% info system. Heated seat in poor location. +1 fits car seat and 2 adults and dog (all my needs)

Powertrain

Power everywhere all the time... Amazing above 3.5k. Lowest tune results ( compaired to 2011 370z or STI)

Ride and Handling

Rear sway bar help the car a lot

Closing thoughts it's a gtr

Cons

Nothing is cheap. Long walks in parking lots. Tint required to ignore people( they let u know they saw you)

Rear window gets dirty fast.

a bitch to work or $$$$

Then my "car" is huge :P

such little things. My truck comes to about 546 cm With the wheelbase at 334cm. :P

Amature ;)

10 at the house right now.

Blarg

Nice truck and I prefer Ford over everything else. So I'm biased.

*highfive* :lol: They just work well in my family. Most other things just crumble and fall apart.

such little things. My truck comes to about 546 cm With the wheelbase at 334cm. :P

What truck?

*highfive* :lol: They just work well in my family. Most other things just crumble and fall apart.

What truck?

78 GMC Sierra

IMG_69586279005780_edit_1424297385052.jp

Friend has an extended cab version.

Blarg

78 GMC Sierra

-snips-

Friend has an extended cab version.

Oh yeah. My memory sucks. :D

Oh yeah. My memory sucks. :D

No problem. Guess I can try to do a review thing on it.

Introduction/Overview

78 GMC Sierra Classic 1/2 ton 4x4

IMG_4253.jpg

20141205_082324.jpg

Exterior

Its a truck.

Interior

Almost big enough to be a bed. Again. Its a truck so nothing really special. Comes with a steering wheel, gas and brake standard.

Powertrain

7.4 L 454 v-8 and 700R-4 4 speed automatic transmission

Ride and Handling

Rides and handles like a stack of bricks. You notice every bump in the road but the large tires give a little extra cusion. Leans around corners from being top heavy.

If somebody stops too close in front of you they may have to be picked out of grill if you don't just run them over because it takes some effort to stop with drum brakes all around.

Closing thoughts

If you want to float down the road or race around corners this is not for you. It's a truck. If you want to haul just about anything or go wherever you want off the paved road this is for you.

Pros

People get out of your way on the road.

Can carry or pull just about anything.

Can fit 1-2 smart cars in the bed.

Good acceleration in straight line up to 60 mph.

Can fix almost anything with a well placed hit with a hammer.

Cons

Terrible gas mileage no matter what you do.

Handles like a stack of bricks.

Doesn't fit in most parking spots (unless you park over the other cars or drive over the parking blocks)

Has an attitude at times and with certain people.

Doesn't like to start in the cold.

dash lights go out and come back on periodicly.

Same as above with speakers.

Transmission causes wheels to chirp when shifting.

All of that and I still wouldn't trade it for a new truck.

Blarg

My 2001 Toyota Corolla LE 1.8L L4
Pic:
post-15957-0-92283600-1424313986_thumb.j
Exterior
Pretty boring... ask a three year old to draw a car and my car is what you'll see. Previous owner got rear ended and never fixed it up correctly. I fixed the trunk(boot) which was previously uncloseable and was held down with a hidden bungee cord behind the rear bumper. Got some wood and a hammer to straighten out the metal and was able to attach the latch to have it open and close perfectly. There is a little rust along the crack by the rear right light assembly that I am not worried about from the incident since it wasnt taken care of properly. But the trunk and rear bumper are new so its hard to tell the damage without taking a good look at it. I managed to rear end someone a few months after I got the car (my fault for not doing that brake job it desperately needed). But it was easy to fix (bit of a fender bender is all). The rims are your standard run-of-the-mill black steelie's, but with hubcaps so I guess it isnt so bad. But my hubcaps need to be repainted or something, they are all scratched up.

Interior
Clean, but in bad shape. Also pretty boring (All beige :/) Floormats are torn up, seats are fine however. The headliner is coming undone at the windshield/screen and the rear window. Tried spray adhesive but didnt work :(. The foam underneath the fabric "sheds" and I end up with pieces of foam everywhere and it looks like ashes. My dad thought I smoked when he drove my car xD a while back. Steering wheel is also in rough shape, kind of annoying but I hate steering wheel covers so I live with it. Radio is terrible. Reception is terrible, speakers are terrible. Im a bit of an audiophile so it does nothing but drive me insane. I usually just keep it on very low volume just to fill in some of the TERRIBLE wind noise/road noise/etc. I dont know if this something wrong with my car or just that it is a corolla, but the noise is soo loud. I hate driving on the interstate because of it. Ive gotten used to it a little but it still bugs me. Also I cant roll the windows down for fear of ruining the headliner even more from the wind. My center console storage thing (idk what its called lol) is broken a the hinge, so it always moves when I put my arm on it lol. Brake pedal needs a new cover, rubber is torn. thank goodness the A/C and heater works because down here in the summer it gets really humid and you will sweat buckets if you dont have climate control in your car.

Powertrain
Its a 1.8L L4 making exactly 125hp and 125ft-lbs of Torque. Yes I cannot believe the horsepower and torque are the exact same either. Go figure. But anyway, thanks to the terriblly long gears in the 4 speed transmission that it has, it is very slow and can only do 0-60 in about 9.5-10 seconds with a proper launch (foot on brake, rev to powerband [the car cant actually do this but i get it up as high as I can lol], release brake and rocket off). To get a figuree on just how long the gearing is, 2nd gear ends around 70mph and the top speed is limited to 112 mph.... so ya :/ The motor also burns a lot of oil in this car. Luckily mine isnt too bad (about a quart and a half every 3K miles)

The transmission also takes forever between shifts as is common with econoboxes. I should of gotten a 5 spd manual one, but it wasnt my choice so whatever.

Ride and Handling
Ride is ok. The seats get uncomfortable so I think that has a lot to do with it. Handling is actually decent on this car. Current tires are Pirelli P4's (about the best you can put on this car's stock rims actually) and I cant say much about them because they are nearing End of Life but they are decent. I start to lose grip on circular ramps at around 50 mph (I find this to be the only accurate way that I can actually explain grip to somebody lol). I have a squeak on the front passenger side, but  the bumper is a little loose there so I think that might be it.

Brakes... I hate drum brakes. The front wheels are discs luckily, but the backs are drums. Drum brakes take me a couple of hours to redo, whereas discs are a 30-40 minute job per disk. Plus I can never remember where everything goes on drums. And the "automatic adjuster" is something I always have bad luck with it not adjusting properly. Every month I have to pull off the rear wheels and adjust it myself.

Closing thoughts
Great little commuter car I guess... Nothing special about it. Im more of a driver's car person, I dont think I can get something like this again unless it is slightly modded (suspension goes a long way!) But ill keep saving money and get something better since this will probably last a while as long as keep up with the oil burning lol (have to check oil every week and fill as needed lol) Oil burning is the sole reason why I would tell someone to avoid this car.

Pros
Easy to work on (except those dog gone brake drums xD)
Gets you around
Lasts forever if you are on top of maintaining it
Exterior can still look good after a while if you dont crash it and take care of it (good paint)

Cons
Burns oil
Brakes arent that great
I need new tires (kind of my own problem)
Interior gets shabby with age
Dem brake drums...
Slow
Gearing is really long

I think Ive covered this already

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1