Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Thought I'd post this, probably not everyones kind of car but here goes anyway,

1966 Ford Cortina GT

1966_Ford_Mk_I_Cortina_GT_%282%29.jpg

And my grandad had one of these in the early 1990's. Ford Cortina Crusader but his was blue and I think it had a 2.3L Pinto engine or something like that, it was a nice car until someone ran into it.

4730293292_4c7d353687_b.jpg

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I didn't know an American car maker used a Japanese engine (although i knew the Matrix/Vibe thing)

For Asian engines, Ford used Mazda, Kia, Nissan and Yamaha-developed motors, GM used Isuzu, Suzuki, Subaru, Honda, Nissan and Toyota motors, while Chrysler used Mitsubishi and Hyundai-developed engines. The big 3 also sources engines and engine designs from European makes like Fiat, Daimler, Volvo, Lotus, Renault and VW.

For Asian engines, Ford used Mazda, Kia, Nissan and Yamaha-developed motors, GM used Isuzu, Suzuki, Subaru, Honda, Nissan and Toyota motors, while Chrysler used Mitsubishi and Hyundai-developed engines. The big 3 also sources engines and engine designs from European makes like Fiat, Daimler, Volvo, Lotus, Renault and VW.

I think Lotus source all of their engines from Toyota then apply a little Lotus magic to them. I'm sure the Elise uses a Celica engine and the Evora uses a Camry V6 or something like that.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Thought I'd post this, probably not everyones kind of car but here goes anyway,

1966 Ford Cortina GT

And my grandad had one of these in the early 1990's. Ford Cortina Crusader but his was blue and I think it had a 2.3L Pinto engine or something like that, it was a nice car until someone ran into it.

Cortinas and Granadas were popular when I was a little kid. The Granada Mk1 looks good, but it was the Mk2 that really sold well. 

Granada Mk2

4958420288_cfdf01335d.jpg

fordgranada33.jpg

Cortinas and Granadas were popular when I was a little kid. The Granada Mk1 looks good, but it was the Mk2 that really sold well. 

Granada Mk2

I love the Granada's, I've always wanted a 2.8i V6 but goddamn they are rare. They are rare in shit condition nevermind driveable condition.

I think Lotus source all of their engines from Toyota then apply a little Lotus magic to them. I'm sure the Elise uses a Celica engine and the Evora uses a Camry V6 or something like that.

They now do.They used to source from other makers too, and they still design engines for other makers (and used to design their own engines too).

The first road-going multi-valve engine is actually from Lotus (900 Series).

The Esprit 300 Sport is something I would not mind having...

075.jpg

c453002072012194210_2.jpg

image_04.jpg

So, my father works in a building where the garage is shared, and most of it belongs to an old man and there are like 3 Alfas, a 914/6, a Ferrari 412, there was a Capri 3100 with the interior broken, a Mini Riley, and some other classics, but, there is a car, a single one, that has a cover over it, and when I went there, I removed the cover on the front bumper, and there was a Monteverdi logo. And I was like, what is this? Must be some sort of one of a kind car, and I think I know it's model. Monteverdi High Speed 375S. I wish I had the money to buy it, restore it and legalize it.

It must be baller. Here's a photo of a similar one.

Monteverdi_High_Speed_375L-1.jpg

Did you even know that this brand existed? Because I didnt :lol: Probably because the production ended in 1984.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

So, my father works in a building where the garage is shared, and most of it belongs to an old man and there are like 3 Alfas, a 914/6, a Ferrari 412, there was a Capri 3100 with the interior broken, a Mini Riley, and some other classics, but, there is a car, a single one, that has a cover over it, and when I went there, I removed the cover on the front bumper, and there was a Monteverdi logo. And I was like, what is this? Must be some sort of one of a kind car, and I think I know it's model. Monteverdi High Speed 375S. I wish I had the money to buy it, restore it and legalize it.

It must be baller. Here's a photo of a similar one.

Did you even know that this brand existed? Because I didnt :lol: Probably because the production ended in 1984.

Yup. They're like Tommykaira and Ruf in a way, as they mostly modify other vehicles and make them their own (boutique vehicles). The High Speed is a unique car though, and may be a nice (though likely very difficult) restoration project. 

And the Pontiac Vibe had a Toyota engine in it. 

They're the same platform though. Vue doesn't share a platform with the MDX that it's engine is shared with.

I mean if you go American, at least go with a company that's still alive, like Ford or Chevy. Ford actually made some really reliable engines for Mazda, as seen with our 230K 2002 Protege.

Don't know about Protege but my Escape uses a Mazda engine, not the other way around?

AS you mentioned the Pontiac Vibe and the Matrix are also pretty much the same. (imo the matrix looks better :P)

The Geo metro had a suzuki engine (da poor Geo Metro lol)

The mercury villager (can I say "Ew"?) had a Nissan engine.

The Ford Escape had a Mazda engine as well at one point

Shared platforms. The Vibe and Matrix are the same (but looking at the cost increase of a used Matrix over a Vibe it's not worth the extra cost for aesthetics IMO). Same thing with the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute. Geo/Chevy Metro is a rebadged Suzuki Swift, and Mercury Villager is a rebadged Nissan Quest

"Rawr XD"

Why a Saturn of all things?

They're dead cheap for what you get lol, they'll last just as long as it's MDX engine-counterpart if not longer, as there's less things that could go wrong. 

It looks a lot uglier of course but aesthetics isn't a huge thing for me when buying a cheap car. As long as it works well and is good for the buck mechanically, I'm happy.

"Rawr XD"

Worng, that was a audi engine.

the 914/4 did have a Aircooled flat 4 out of the vw 411/412 and T2 bus

Whoops, looks like Jezza was wrong too (£1000 Porsche challenge)

Yup, I watch it way too much

Geek and Subie Fan

Anyone know what can cause an occasionally very rough idle?

On what car/engine?

I love the Granada's, I've always wanted a 2.8i V6 but goddamn they are rare. They are rare in shit condition nevermind driveable condition.

Lol. 2.8 V6

How bout this Granada

gran4.jpg

gran20.jpg

gran3.jpg

Why Not put a Koenigsegg V8 into an old Ford? :P And it works out well because the Koenigsegg V8 is a Ford engine :D

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/06/crazy_granad/

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Have you checked the MAF and IAC Valve?

Yep. Those maf sensors have a reputation of acting up from time to time.

Its the same sensor in my mustang ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Have you checked the MAF and IAC Valve? 

Yep. Those maf sensors have a reputation of acting up from time to time.

Its the same sensor in my mustang ;)

Cleaned it and redid everything just to make sure. It only happened a few times today sitting at a light and such but it sounded like it was misfiring pretty bad the way the car was vibrating.

Cleaned it and redid everything just to make sure. It only happened a few times today sitting at a light and such but it sounded like it was misfiring pretty bad the way the car was vibrating.

Fuel pressure regulator maybe?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Fuel pressure regulator maybe?

Wouldn't that create more problems at higher rpms?

Wouldn't that create more problems at higher rpms?

Usually yeah it would.

Is your car coil on plug or coil packs?

That moment when you're going 150+mph in a grand prix

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Usually yeah it would.

Is your car coil on plug or coil packs?

Coil pack. See it only idled bad from like 550-900 but driving it was perfectly smooth, and sometimes at idle it was perfectly fine. So I dunno what it's doing.

Coil pack. See it only idled bad from like 550-900 but driving it was perfectly smooth, and sometimes at idle it was perfectly fine. So I dunno what it's doing.

My old ford Taurus acted that way from time to time and I found it was the Idle Air Control Valve that was causing the problem, I replaced that and never had that problem again.

I did a quick google search and found a bunch of forum posts about their idle air control valves on 2000 V6 mustangs, read some of those post and see if it sounds like a similar symptom to what you are having.

My old ford Taurus acted that way from time to time and I found it was the Idle Air Control Valve that was causing the problem, I replaced that and never had that problem again.

I did a quick google search and found a bunch of forum posts about their idle air control valves on 2000 V6 mustangs, read some of those post and see if it sounds like a similar symptom to what you are having.

I'll see if I can get a video of it tonight, knowing my luck it'll run perfectly fine. I've looked through quite a few threads and it seems all the problems would also occur while not at idle. The video down below is somewhat similar in to how it sounds but there is a lot more vibration than what I see in it but the tach fluctuates a lot while this is occurring. But the sound is similar.