Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Track days will always be more expensive than autocross days. Its just about overhead. Autocross can be just as much fun, or even more.

I've found track to be more fun, there's just something about it being longer and not as harsh that appeals to me.

You know your car is low when your sump plug looks like this

ouch. Almost like the headers that were on my dad's car. Almost welded them to the rest of the exhaust from hitting the road.

yeah I understand that. I just dont want to ruin my daily driver doing that lol. Plus a friend of mine wants to get into it and is more willing to spend money than I am lol.

NOLA Motorsports Park really has a great course now that Ive actually looked at it (and I also just learned Indycar is supposed to be on it in April)

Maybe if we can find a Miata or something else for $2K we could have a lot of fun a few times a year. Getting tired of Assetto Corsa, want to do the real thing lol

I would love to have a track like that to go to. The closest one is maybe a quarter the size of that.

Blarg

I've found track to be more fun, there's just something about it being longer and not as harsh that appeals to me.

Some people do prefer the longer courses with higher speeds, and that's cool too. I just find the cost of entry is a lot higher. You can be very competitive on an autocross course for $5000, but with a larger road course that is just not the case.

Then again if you are just out to have fun, then it really doesn't matter if you are not as quick as the others on the track.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

ouch. Almost like the headers that were on my dad's car. Almost welded them to the rest of the exhaust from hitting the road.

I would love to have a track like that to go to. The closest one is maybe a quarter the size of that.

Tracks are hard to come by in northern california. especially twisty ones, since america is mostly nascar.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

In the words of Macklemore!

"I call that getting swindled and pimped

I call that getting tricked by a business"

Just because toyota realised we were onto their scam and stopped dual badging doesn't change anything.

A toyota is a toyota no matter what badge is on the trunk. 

Rebadging is rampant across the industry, and I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. Makers do it to build appropriate product portfolios for each geography. Afaik, GM has the most number of rebadged models across the globe.

The new ones are a lot more comfortable, and they're pretty damn good at going on trails too.

Agree. It's a shorter 4Runner that looks better (though with poorer visibility). :)

anyone here ever do autocross or track days or anything else? Something I would probably love doing but cant atm lol (dont have the car or the money)

Used to do some amateur track when I was younger. :)

It seems like he uses the give on the rubber lips to squeeze the cone filters in (hence the deformation on the pleated element).

Rebadging is rampant across the industry, and I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. Makers do it to build appropriate product PROFIT MARGINS for each geography. Afaik, GM has the most number of rebadged models across the globe.

You made a slight mistake there, I went ahead and corrected that for you.

Pete

Some people do prefer the longer courses with higher speeds, and that's cool too. I just find the cost of entry is a lot higher. You can be very competitive on an autocross course for $5000, but with a larger road course that is just not the case.

Then again if you are just out to have fun, then it really doesn't matter if you are not as quick as the others on the track.

I have to agree. The higher speeds on a track also mean that racing rules require more safety equipment (unless we're talking about short tracks and RWYB days). The $5000 budget is barely enough to get a car legal in most cases. They usually cut off the fast parts of a circuit for races that allow lesser-prepped vehicles (like most roadcars).

Tracks are hard to come by in northern california. especially twisty ones, since america is mostly nascar.

This is very true. Be nice to see more road tracks.

Blarg

Rebadging is rampant across the industry, and I don't see anything particularly wrong with it. Makers do it to build appropriate product PROFIT MARGINS for each geography. Afaik, GM has the most number of rebadged models across the globe.

You made a slight mistake there, I went ahead and corrected that for you.

I don't see it as a mistake. Last time I heard, businesses exist to make profit. Their product portfolios are designed to of course make them money, by elevating the value of the product to the buyer. A lot of buyers value brand, and they willingly buy into it with each product purchase.

Even outside of the auto industry, most multinationals rebrand. May it be for household detergents, self care, food items, consumer electronics, etc. Brand strategy is a big thing for these companies. This is how they can charge far more than many house brand items (which are usually also sourced from the major makers).

Had a short spirited run through some corners with a Nissan following me after work. Left them behind in the corners but it was short lived when we caught up to traffic.

Blarg

Really considering a V6 Saturn Vue.....

Not even the most car-savvy friends I have would have known that it's a Honda engine under there :P

2005_saturn_vue_4dr-suv_base_en_ei_1_500

"Rawr XD"

-snip-

Not even the most car-savvy friends I have would have known that it's a Honda engine under there  :P

And the Pontiac Vibe had a Toyota engine in it. 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Well that's pretty much a Matrix, but I didn't know about the Saturn....

System: Thinkpad T460

Not even the most car-savvy friends I have would have known that it's a Honda engine under there :P

I didn't know an American car maker used a Japanese engine (although i knew the Matrix/Vibe thing)

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why a Saturn of all things?

System: Thinkpad T460

Why a Saturn of all things?

I mean if you go American, at least go with a company that's still alive, like Ford or Chevy. Ford actually made some really reliable engines for Mazda, as seen with our 230K 2002 Protege.

Volvo used Vw diesel at one point xD

One dream, one soul, one prize, One goal, one golden glance of what should be, It's a kind of magic.

I think Porsche used a VW engine in the 924 as well

Geek and Subie Fan

Volvo used Vw diesel at one point xD

Ah the D24. The biggest gamble engine ever made. 

There is a 50/50 chance that you'll either get an engine that will run forever or one that goes pop in the next day xD

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

And a lot of people say America build the best cars lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

And a lot of people say America build the best cars lol

When people say that its rarely anything newer than the 80s.

Blarg

I didn't know an American car maker used a Japanese engine (although i knew the Matrix/Vibe thing)

The Chevy Prizm (no clue if the Geo Prizm and Chevy Prizm are related) was a rebadged Toyota corolla (1998-2002)

everything was pretty much the same, including the 1ZZ-FE motor and the transmission (i forget the model though)

The Lotus Elise (not American but something I know) used a Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine at one point I believe, and the supercharged model used a 2ZZ-GZE. But the 2ZZ-G(Z)E was techinically made by Yamaha so think what you want of that.

AS you mentioned the Pontiac Vibe and the Matrix are also pretty much the same. (imo the matrix looks better :P)

I also believe the Ford Fusion at one point had a Mazda V6 (from the Mazda 6)

The Geo metro had a suzuki engine (da poor Geo Metro lol)

The mercury villager (can I say "Ew"?) had a Nissan engine.

The Ford Escape had a Mazda engine as well at one point

There are actually quite a lot of american cars with Asian Engines xD

edit: at this rate I'd laugh if we see a Dodge Viper with an AMG motor :P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

-snip-

I think that the Mercury Villager is a rebranded Nissan Quest, they look the same. My uncle used to drive one, it was a fucking piece of shit.

I think Porsche used a VW engine in the 924 as well

Worng, that was a audi engine.

the 914/4 did have a Aircooled flat 4 out of the vw 411/412 and T2 bus

Too low then IMHO

#Haterofeverything

1318369988001.jpg

One dream, one soul, one prize, One goal, one golden glance of what should be, It's a kind of magic.