Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Ah, sounds like it's been fixed?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-410

I think the BIOS update came out in August for the dark hero. I had it disabled until recently when I just said F it and got the 20 dollar module.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

54 minutes ago, vetali said:

I think the BIOS update came out in August for the dark hero. I had it disabled until recently when I just said F it and got the 20 dollar module.

Evidently I haven't updated my BIOS since 2020, I should probably do that and convert the boot disc to GPT as well. I'd like to grab a 5800X to replace my 2700X at some point and an X570 motherboard, just haven't ran across any tantalizing deals just yet. What I have works just fine I just want to tinker with something a bit newer before prices on good DDR4 go all upside down cause the shit I got not ain't that good. 3600 but like C22 or something terrible, running at 3400 C18 with some extra DRAM volts on the 2700X, I got one with a good memory controller I guess but otherwise pretty average silicon, hits rated clocks but doesn't do much more without some absurd power going through it. I keep it capped at 160W, 180W starts getting a bit warm and the volts to keep the clocks up at that wattage are high. It benchmarks around the upper bounds of an air cooled 2700X so I can't complain. Not sure I'd ever go back to water cooling for a daily use PC, too much hassle but it sure is nice and quiet and that thermal headroom is something.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Evidently I haven't updated my BIOS since 2020, I should probably do that and convert the boot disc to GPT as well. I'd like to grab a 5800X to replace my 2700X at some point and an X570 motherboard, just haven't ran across any tantalizing deals just yet. What I have works just fine I just want to tinker with something a bit newer before prices on good DDR4 go all upside down cause the shit I got not ain't that good. 3600 but like C22 or something terrible, running at 3400 C18 with some extra DRAM volts on the 2700X, I got one with a good memory controller I guess but otherwise pretty average silicon, hits rated clocks but doesn't do much more without some absurd power going through it. I keep it capped at 160W, 180W starts getting a bit warm and the volts to keep the clocks up at that wattage are high. It benchmarks around the upper bounds of an air cooled 2700X so I can't complain. Not sure I'd ever go back to water cooling for a daily use PC, too much hassle but it sure is nice and quiet and that thermal headroom is something.

Just get a 5800x3d if you are staying on AM4. I've debated many times going to that CPU... but I am holding out for 7000x3d with DDR5 going down in price. I can get close to 220w on my 5950x if I really hit it. Plus ~410w on my 3090ti.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Just get a 5800x3d if you are staying on AM4. I've debated many times going to that CPU... but I am holding out for 7000x3d with DDR5 going down in price. I can get close to 220w on my 5950x if I really hit it. Plus ~410w on my 3090ti.

Too $$$ for me.

On 2/12/2023 at 5:43 PM, PandaCopyRight said:

nah, you got it all wrong, the Miata is a more modern MGB shall we start calling all miatas as MGBs .. or maybe MGA as that came before the MGB?... plus the Miata aint exactly cool, its a small 2 seater low power sports car thats got no roof (in most variations) thats about it

it was supposed to be like a joke, cuz they're the same type of car but different era. A 2 seater low power sports car., One's in the 60s, one's in 90s

1 hour ago, VirusDumb said:

it was supposed to be like a joke, cuz they're the same type of car but different era. A 2 seater low power sports car., One's in the 60s, one's in 90s

As an old Brit I get exactly what you are saying.Over here we call vacuums a Hoover as in "doing the Hoovering" same sort of thing.

Pete

22 hours ago, vetali said:

With another 20-30% gain expected on zen 5, I might wait for that.

i think the tech after 3nm will take a long time to come to fruition so I might take the gamble that that will be the next Sandy bridge. 

sandy bridge was the ultimate purchase IMO. You could buy it, overclock it, and it’s still decent 10 years later lol, especially the 6 core parts. So I’ve kinda been looking for that type of leap followed by stagnation again 

even though that’s not ideal as far as computer advancement goes lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

41 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

With another 20-30% gain expected on zen 5, I might wait for that.

i think the tech after 3nm will take a long time to come to fruition so I might take the gamble that that will be the next Sandy bridge. 

sandy bridge was the ultimate purchase IMO. You could buy it, overclock it, and it’s still decent 10 years later lol, especially the 6 core parts. So I’ve kinda been looking for that type of leap followed by stagnation again 

even though that’s not ideal as far as computer advancement goes lol 

Waiting for independent benches, but it looks promising.

Yeah, for sure we are going that route. The brilliance of SB was it was leaps over first gen core series which in itself didn't incentivize people to upgrade from late Q or E series CPUs. Plus it was an extremely reliable and cool chip. The 3960X was my dream chip back in the day. It also began the 8-12% incremental generations during Intels monopoly. I remember being super hyped for ivy bridge and the 3d transistor design... boi... what a letdown.

13 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Man it was so fun watching people push 5-5.3GHz on 2600k's.

7 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Man it was so fun watching people push 5-5.3GHz on 2600k's.

Now the chips basically come clocked as high as possible from the factory which is kinda boring 😞 

you can maybe get a little more out of them but it’s no where near Sandy’s going from 3.x GHz to almost 5 or even 5+ in some cases lol. 

i can get my 3960X to 4.8 but it needs a lot of voltage and I never really left it long enough at that speed to really determine stability. It is happiest at 4.6. It makes the chip decent today but it’s starting to feel old. Mainly miss out on a lot of features newer platforms have 

Now it’s only because I’m nerdy, but I’ve wanted to switch to maining Linux and just have a windows VM for a while now, but IOMMU doesn’t work with what I have. Haven’t wanted to do it bad enough to buy new hardware but that’ll come soon probably since I’m starting to talk about it 😂 I’d also want to convert my current windows machine into a VM because I’m lazy and don’t want to reinstall everything. 

I’ll just keep my 1080ti though.. don’t really play games as much anymore so it ends up being plenty. Just get something mid range when that gets super old or dies, especially since it’s an EVGA card and the nicest computer piece I’ve ever owned 

I basically got it free because I mined with it for a few months in 2017 and it paid for itself lol. Still works great! 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So back to cars, sort of like Porsche did a while back, Hyundai announced subscription plans for its EV’s 

Ioniq 5 for $900/month

Kona electric for $600/month

they include insurance with this pricing. And 1000 miles per month(not sure what overages are).

And you can cancel anytime, it’s month-to-month 

pretty interesting 

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

they include insurance

Thats the most surprising thing.

Working while getting over being sick, not fun. Had to dip out early Friday, worked Monday, called out Tuesday and got some antibiotics, immediately feeling better but not 100%. Biggest gripe is I have almost no voice so I can't yell across the shop _at_all.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Thats the most surprising thing.

I'd love to see what they cover lmao

53 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Working while getting over being sick, not fun. Had to dip out early Friday, worked Monday, called out Tuesday and got some antibiotics, immediately feeling better but not 100%. Biggest gripe is I have almost no voice so I can't yell across the shop _at_all.

Have you met my friend the megaphone yet?

11 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Have you met my friend the megaphone yet?

That would be pretty hilarious. I currently sound like this:

28 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Likely not theft lul

23 minutes ago, vetali said:

Likely not theft lul

52 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Just their own asses.

Had a really good day today, worked on and got a 1930 Model A Deluxe that had not ran for about 40 years running.

When I first encountered the car it's engine was locked tight and the owner and guys at the shop where it is now coudn't get it freed up. I told the shop owner I could unlock it, so he agreed to let me try - And I got it freed up, no prob.
After that it was a matter of doing what needed to be done and it started up, ran pretty good too.

Fortunately it was a show car already restored in excellent shape before it was parked due to it's owner at the time passing so it sat... And sat.... And sat some more in a barn/shed until someone finally bought it from the family and here we are today.

Anyway there is more work to be done in getting it running 100% since the carb ATM is flooding (Stuck needle valve or bad float) with the expected oil change it needs and some other stuff. For the current owner, once it's running properly it's on with redoing it all over again and since it's already in good condition it's not going to be hard to bring it back to as it was before - You could clean it up and show it now if one really wanted to but as is, it won't be winning any trophys. 

Right now it runs fairly smooth with just a little bit of sputtering/skip to it but that should improve as it's ran, it certainly picked up after a minute of running. Was hard to get started at first but once it fired off it just ran and will probrably start way easier the next time it's tried. 
The pic isn't that great with the low lighting but got what I could to show it.
Not bad for an old, retired mech and glad I had the opportunity to do it with one of these.

To sum up:
Good day today!

0216230938.thumb.jpg.96444e2e136779026db2544629297ab9.jpg

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

Probably worth it to send the scope into the cylinders to check for rust pitting, would be a shame for the engine to eat itself.

If worried about rust chunks and bits, that's an non-issue since I used what actually dissolves rust but doesn't hurt the metal to free it so the rust itself is outta there but good.
Unsweetened lemon juice dissolves rust due to a chemical reaction with it but this reaction doesn't happen to metal which is a good thing.
It must be pure, unsweetened lemon juice or the chemical reaction doesn't take place.

Here's the jist of how things went from unlocking the engine to it running so please bear with me 💩 :

After using the juice by filling up the cylinders and letting it sit overnight, I flooded the cylinders the next morning with some motor oil and let that work it's way in for a few minutes and rocked the car while it was in high gear - After a few tries it broke free without much fuss about it, indicated by the fan moving a bit.

Then I used a tow rope (Not a chain for the cushioning effect of a rope/No snatching) and keeping it in gear, I used my wittle S10 to gently nudge/rock it so the engine eventually made a complete revolution. The car was NOT easy to rock/push by hand (2 of us) so that's how we went at it instead once the engine had moved.

Why work harder?
Work smarter. 😉

There was really no other good way to do it either so that's what I did - "Nudge-nudge-nudge" until a full rotation of the engine was done to not break any rings and so on.
After the rotation was done we then poured more oil into the cylinders and slowly pulled it across the shop in gear a couple of times to "Spin" the engine so then we knew it was completely freed up and ready to spin over with the starter.
Cleaned out the fuel tank (Let it sit overnight) with straight PineSol (The original kind) to dissolve the bad gas and got that out, fuel shutoff valve was stuck and blocked too so got that fixed, changed spark plugs and cleaned up the rest of the ignition, installed a new 8v battery (4 cell battery - That's what it uses), fixed an electrical problem killing power to everything and test spun it with the starter - Perfecto!

After that it was a matter of getting a bit of gas in the tank and to the engine.... She ran and that's was it.
Smoked the shop but good and was expected to you know, that will go away once it's been ran a few times.

Since we only ran it for maybe 30 seconds we didn't change the engine oil just for that BUT did check it's condition first (For moisture contamination and such) which was suprisingly good. 
NO moisture contamination or anything else to worry about, plus doing a "finger test" of the oil showed it still had good lubricity to it, more than good enough for a short test run attempt.
That's one of the very next things to do on the list and will be using straight 30W like was used back in the day with a bit of zinc additive too... And I will use a bit of Lucas just because too.
These engines are 100% splash-lubed so there is no oil pump to worry about and the Lucas can only help anyway you know.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

Rust may be gone, but you may still have pitting that can scratch pistons and catch on rings if it was that badly stuck. Better safe than sorry! How's the bottom of the pan and oil pickup look? Sludged or clean? Again, tiny camera to the rescue. Why assume and guess when you can just see!

Photo_20230216154842.thumb.jpg.620271facb1cb635744b5ac48bfb854a.jpg

This is the pickup from an engine I worked on yesterday. Last 1/4 qt of oil I drained was very slow and gooey, plop plop kind of an affair. I rodded around the bottom of the pan a little with some coat hanger to get the lumpy oil to drain, sprayed in some solvent and air a couple times to clear up that last bit of thick oil, then took a look. I was relieved to see a clean oil pickup and fairly clean pan bottom. Now I KNOW it's not clogged rather than assuming it's not clogged and a possibly ticking time bomb.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:56 AM, Bitter said:

Rust may be gone, but you may still have pitting that can scratch pistons and catch on rings if it was that badly stuck. Better safe than sorry! How's the bottom of the pan and oil pickup look? Sludged or clean? Again, tiny camera to the rescue. Why assume and guess when you can just see!

Photo_20230216154842.thumb.jpg.620271facb1cb635744b5ac48bfb854a.jpg

This is the pickup from an engine I worked on yesterday. Last 1/4 qt of oil I drained was very slow and gooey, plop plop kind of an affair. I rodded around the bottom of the pan a little with some coat hanger to get the lumpy oil to drain, sprayed in some solvent and air a couple times to clear up that last bit of thick oil, then took a look. I was relieved to see a clean oil pickup and fairly clean pan bottom. Now I KNOW it's not clogged rather than assuming it's not clogged and a possibly ticking time bomb.

EDIT:
Edited for accuracy.

Note there is no fuel pump, it's 100% gravity fed from the tank so that's what we are working with. The carb will need to be cleaned out due to a sticking float/needle valve but it's such a simply made unit that should be a snap.
Besides, I'm not the owner or shop owner either and the owner of it did say to unstick it and get it running "As is" if at all possible.... So that's what I did.

As for anything else, just know these older engines laugh off what would kill more modern engines anyway and that's just a fact of it. Pitting that doesn't actually snag and break a ring doesn't bother them at all because they are looser tolerance, low compression engines to start with (6:1 or so) and since we turned it over as we did to prevent ring breakage, any such pitting has already been dealt with, now that it has been ran.