Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

12 hours ago, gleetk said:

All forged carbon dash

Now that's something I've never heard of before.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Buy the spark plug extraction tool kit now, you'll need it. Squeak squeak crunch snap crackle pop, so much fun!

I saw that the best way to remove them was to turn the spark plugs back and forth 1/8th of a turn until it gets super easy to do, then carefully go all the way out after that. Making sure to apply liberal amounts of anti-seize, and applying dielectric grease to the spark plugs when putting them back in. Actually, that's how Ford says to do it.

21 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I saw that the best way to remove them was to turn the spark plugs back and forth 1/8th of a turn until it gets super easy to do, then carefully go all the way out after that.

Not at those miles if they're original. They'll snap. I've tried all the tricks and only once or twice has one come out not in multiple parts. If you buy the tool now you'll already have it and just get the job done rather than waiting a few days with a broken truck.

+1 on the plug extractors. 
I had a 4.6 in my Mustang. What a total pain in the ass it was when they kept breaking. 

On 3/7/2022 at 7:26 PM, Bitter said:

I forgot the update USB in her car and I guess it updated when she went to an appointment today, so that's good. Didn't have it set to run the Gracenote portion so I'll do that tomorrow.

Sweet, sweet, success

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Sweet, sweet, success

Just need to figure out how to get Android Auto to not default to maps every time? She'd rather have it on the home screen by default. A problem for another night though.

14 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I saw that the best way to remove them was to turn the spark plugs back and forth 1/8th of a turn until it gets super easy to do, then carefully go all the way out after that. Making sure to apply liberal amounts of anti-seize, and applying dielectric grease to the spark plugs when putting them back in. Actually, that's how Ford says to do it.

At 160k you probably already have the revised one piece plug in there. I wouldn't worry. I haven't broke any and I just get the motor hot and impact them out with my air 3/8. I don't put any antisieze on them going back on. Heat turns it into chalk, which then has the opposite effect that it should have.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

32 minutes ago, vetali said:

At 160k you probably already have the revised one piece plug in there. I wouldn't worry. I haven't broke any and I just get the motor hot and impact them out with my air 3/8. I don't put any antisieze on them going back on. Heat turns it into chalk, which then has the opposite effect that it should have.

My experience with the 5.4 3V and pickups in general is people don't fix them until they're broken. I've yet to see a one piece plug that I didn't install.

Also the 3V has those juicy timing and VVT problems and 160K is prime time to start seeing that crop up regardless of how well it was cared for.

10 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah, This truck was well taken care of for the first 3/4ths of its life, but the second owner treated it like a piece of trash. I am gonna be safe and go slow and steady. By slow I mean 20 mins per plug slow. Thanks for the tip with the anti-seize though, that's something I would have to learn with experience. Where would I find the revised one piece plugs?

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

My experience with the 5.4 3V and pickups in general is people don't fix them until they're broken. I've yet to see a one piece plug that I didn't install.

Also the 3V has those juicy timing and VVT problems and 160K is prime time to start seeing that crop up regardless of how well it was cared for.

Planning on replacing the sensor, since the timing chain is fine. I'm also gonna do a 5k oil interval until I can get enough time and money to replace the oil pump with a high flow aftermarket one to prevent further damage. I'm also going to get a nice oil filter with flow back protection or whatever that is called to keep the oil in the engine.

10 hours ago, vetali said:

1162464331_ScreenShot2022-03-09at9_46_39AM.thumb.png.1a6c9007c53c2ab6013af88070978ff5.png

I keep getting conflicting reports. Anti-seize or no? Which brand of spark plugs? How do I remove them?

I have found literally the two opposites for all of these questions, and I don't know what to do.

3 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

How do I remove them?

Dugga dugga gun and send it

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

23 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's ok, Ford didn't know what it's doing either.

Do any brands know these days?

Also, fun day for me

VAG TFSI thermostat housing/water pump unit being a leaky boi

Screenshot_20220309-191122_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-191128_Gallery.jpg

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

15 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Do any brands know these days?

Also, fun day for me

VAG TFSI thermostat housing/water pump unit being a leaky boi

Screenshot_20220309-191122_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-191128_Gallery.jpg

Try that on a longitudinal mounted engine lol. I've done both, RWD mounted engine is a little harder but doable. I don't pull the intake manifold, just have tiny arms and tools I guess.

How about that reverse thread bolt on the balance shaft tho!?

If I pulled the intake I'd see how carboned the intake valves are and I just don't even want to know on these cars. Just put the blinders on and get done what they came for with some of these cars ya kno?

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

How about that reverse thread bolt on the balance shaft tho!?

For the belt? Popped the belt off with a screwdriver and then refitted the water pump seperate to the thermostat housing. Belt round the pulley first then it all bolts straight up. 

This is the first one I'd done hence pulling the intake just so I could see the unit. Wasnt a bad job tbf. I'd say a solid 7/10

19 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

For the belt? Popped the belt off with a screwdriver and then refitted the water pump seperate to the thermostat housing. Belt round the pulley first then it all bolts straight up. 

This is the first one I'd done hence pulling the intake just so I could see the unit. Wasnt a bad job tbf. I'd say a solid 7/10

Did you replace that little union pipe?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/union-with-seals/06h121131c/

I guess there's aftermarket metal ones too. By the time we see them the plastic is looking pretty brown and getting soft so we always replace them. Ok to just re-oring them if they're in good shape.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Did you replace that little union pipe?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/union-with-seals/06h121131c/

I guess there's aftermarket metal ones too. By the time we see them the plastic is looking pretty brown and getting soft so we always replace them. Ok to just re-oring them if they're in good shape.

Yeah, surprisingly annoying little bastard that

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Yeah, surprisingly annoying little bastard that

Always stuck and then never stay in place.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Always stuck and then never stay in place.

I coated the new one in some all purpose grease and after a few attempts it stuck in fine. Was told thats the bit to worry about leaking afterwards cause of how shit they are 

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I coated the new one in some all purpose grease and after a few attempts it stuck in fine. Was told thats the bit to worry about leaking afterwards cause of how shit they are 

No like dis fein German engineering? Lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

$4.99/gal for premium here in NY. 

Also just got Micheline PS4sDT1's to replace the original Pilot Sports.  DT! is their "differential tread" that costs $10/tire more, wasn't gonna pay it when it was $20/tire more but then the non DT!'s went back up and meh.

Problem is I'm now running summer tires and it decided to snow about 2" yesterday 🤦‍♂️ Roads are clear at least and the drive into work was BEAUTFUL. But with these gas prices i'ma start working remote more. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I've got a 20 year old Volks sedan with a dead battery, needs new tires, and the timing belt should probably be replaced soon, and I have no idea how bad the trans is (but it doesn't accelerate uphill).  There's a bit of rust near the glowplugs, but I can still get them out easily enough.  This year the radiator cracked and a few years ago I had to do the serpentine belt and alternator.  Is it worth it to keep stringing this thing along or should I bite the bullet and get a newer vehicle?  For reference, this thing's been getting 39MPG (diesel) lately and gets driven about 700km/month.

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

You've all seen naked motorcycles, right? Hot new trend coming in....naked cars!

IMG_20220310_122539.jpg

Why are so many people against white rims on a white colored car?

Been thinking of getting rims thwt only has 5 arms/support around the rim inside in white, but people are so against it haha 😂

Its my car so I'll do what I want regardless, just trying to find out why so many people don't like it 🤣

Seeing Japanese cars with their same colored car wants me to put 20inch rims on my own Volvo V70.

Maybe in due time lower or get coil overs, don't care if my car is 2016.

I'm writing this as I'm on my 150k service for the car so, mostly just checking and switching/getting new oil.

0w-20 seems to be more rare than I thought🤨

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD