Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

Its hard when the people working the counter know you're in the trade. They will only warranty their "pro" lines if you are in the trade. Back when I first started, my co-worker and I had lots of craftsman stuff. We had to go and rebuy a lot of that stuff from dealers because Sears just wouldn't warranty anything for us anymore. My co-worker bought the pro line of screwdrivers from Craftsman and really liked them. Had a few warrantied. Then he broke another, went to have it warrantied and they stopped making them so Sears wouldn't warranty them.

He just ended up getting a set of Snap ons that went on sale. 

And don't get me wrong, I don't misuse my tools for the most part. Very rarely I actually break tools.

Must be the people at your sears. I once needed a shorter open end wrench than I had, so I heated a wrench up and bent the box end over 90 degrees, then went back to sears and they replaced the wrench without asking any questions lol.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are the best stuff in the world, or have the best warranty, just sharing my experiences. 

The last tool I actually broke was a 1/2" extension on a breaker bar with a cheater. I was a bit surprised the socket didnt split first. Sears replaced that too, with out even batting an eye.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@terrytek

good god, that's glorious. i like how he still gets footage of this amazing car and people still drive these despite being 2 generations old.

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Sears has sold Craftsman to Stanely, but it looks like Stanely wants to bring at least more of the manufacturing back to the US, so that's good. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-sears-sells-craftsman-stanley-20170105-story.html

thank god. i wouldn't have trusted any craftsman tools made in china. but thank god i bought all my craftsman tools when they were still being produced in the good ol' USA.

18 minutes ago, vetali said:

Mac is so up and down. Some of their products are great, others are just rebrands from Asia. Would be nice if the Mac dealers could start selling and warrantying Craftsman though. Going to sears and getting turned down 90% of the time for a warranty got old quick. 

Is Dewalt a Stanley product as well? Cause all Mac's battery powered stuff is Dewalt. 

we've never had issues with warrantying tools from sears. every time i request a new tool because the old one was defective they always ended up replacing it for me, no questions asked.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Must be the people at your sears. I once needed a shorter open end wrench than I had, so I heated a wrench up and bent the box end over 90 degrees, then went back to sears and they replaced the wrench without asking any questions lol.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are the best stuff in the world, or have the best warranty, just sharing my experiences. 

The last tool I actually broke was a 1/2" extension on a breaker bar with a cheater. I was a bit surprised the socket didnt split first. Sears replaced that too, with out even batting an eye.

Yeah, the manager at this Sears is known to be really bad. 

Your story reminds me, I really don't know what these wrenches are for. I know they are for tight spaces, but I can't think of a time where I've wanted one. 

QPSUJLK.jpg

Seems like every "tool collection" of people in the trade have a set of these. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Well of course it'd be Greg, wouldn't it.

Speaking of:

@MEC-777

-snip-

HAWT DAMN

11 hours ago, terrytek said:

i mean the vw phaeton also had a v10 model too. but 3 things. 1. it was a VAG car, 2. it was a TDI motor. 3. it only sold from 2003-2007. but it was a biturbo v10, so it was very powerful. but bmw and audi were the only germans to create v10s. mercedes had v12s and v8s. and the only other carmakers that sold v10 models were lexus with the lfa, and porsche with the carrera, and dodge with the viper. but those were all high performance v10 coupes. the only v10 sedan i'd drive is the 2nd gen rs6 with the twin turbo v10. like as if the 5.2 lambo motor wasn't enough, audi had to go and twin turbo it.

actually, the Phaeton came with a W12, V8, or VR6.

2003-2007 versions had a TDI V10, but I don't think the US got that.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Are husky tools any good? I ask because my dad bought a set of husky wrenches in a case, cut the top of the case off, and put it in the toolbox so it would all be organized without any work lol

they are for sure nicer than the little cheap unbranded Chinese things that he used to have. Half of those were stretched lol... Like I remember the 11mm being a 12mm on the open end

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

actually, the Phaeton came with a W12, V8, or VR6.

2003-2007 versions had a TDI V10, but I don't think the US got that.

yeah i know the tdi v10 didn't make it to the us in form of the phaeton, but there was a tdi v10 touraeg, and those things can PULL. i was just saying how v10s in the VAG wasn't limited to just audi and lamborghini. even volkswagen wanted in on this v10 action.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Did I even tell you guys we got a new toolbox and storage cabinet? It's so great!

image.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Are husky tools any good? I ask because my dad bought a set of husky wrenches in a case, cut the top of the case off, and put it in the toolbox so it would all be organized without any work lol

they are for sure nicer than the little Chinese things that he used to have. Half of those were stretched lol... Like I remember the 11mm being a 12mm on the open end

Yeah they are quite good. Their boxes are cheap and great as well. 600 bucks can get you a huge box as far as DIYer boxes go. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Yeah they are quite good. Their boxes are cheap and great as well. 600 bucks can get you a huge box as far as DIYer boxes go. 

Yeah well we got a bit of a smaller toolbox from them. We don't have that many tools at home but it's enough to do basic car work in most situations. 

Still have room to expand. 

One "acquaintance" with my dad gave him a HUGE Home Depot gift card so we went over there and had a small shopping spree the other day lol (mainly the toolbox and cabinet, but we also replaced our wrenches, got a new set of screwdrivers, maybe a couple other things I can't remember)

Spoiler

Went to a job interview at a place I'd really like to work for. We'll see what happens. It is car related though. When I know more I'll elaborate on this

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah well we got a bit of a smaller toolbox from them. We don't have that many tools at home but it's enough to do basic car work in most situations. 

Still have room to expand. 

One "acquaintance" with my dad gave him a HUGE Home Depot gift card so we went over there and had a small shopping spree the other day lol (mainly the toolbox and cabinet, but we also replaced our wrenches, got a new set of screwdrivers, maybe a couple other things I can't remember)

I need to buy another top box like what you got. Since I got a new box for work, I brought back home my old craftsman bottom box home to load up with a lot of my older tools. 

What's inside the toolbox (it ain't much so don't expect to be impressed lol)

I wish we could do something with the children's bicycles and stuff so they weren't in the way all the time. But it would have to be something where they themselves could get to them. So it's quite difficult to solve unless anyone knows of anything...

Forgot the top cover thing but I don't think there's much in there, just like tape measures and levels and stuff lol

we also kinda need more sockets/ratchets/extensions. But of course it'll be something we buy when we actually need it lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Spoiler

I wish we could do something with the children's bicycles and stuff so they weren't in the way all the time. But it would have to be something where they themselves could get to them. So it's quite difficult to solve unless anyone knows of anything...

Forgot the top cover thing but I don't think there's much in there, just like tape measures and levels and stuff lo

still, more organized than my drawer lol

and for the bikes, why not have a roof mount? like a pulley system that keeps it out of the way of cars and such.

Its alright, room to expand lol. I should take some pics of my box when I'm not at home, sick. Its like 35% full, compared to my old box that was 130% full.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Its alright, room to expand lol. I should take some pics of my box when I'm not at home, sick. Its like 35% full, compared to my old box that was 130% full.

haha yeah, there's an empty drawer too.. we'll find a use for it all down the road I'm sure. I do like a toolbox that isn't full though -- makes it easy to get to everything and keep it organized

those capri sockets in that blue box are super nice. They are strictly for the audi tho -- triple square spline bits lol. They are probably our nicest stuff though xD

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Forgot the top cover thing but I don't think there's much in there, just like tape measures and levels and stuff lol

we also kinda need more sockets/ratchets/extensions. But of course it'll be something we buy when we actually need it lol

Looks like a solid start! You've got some room to grow too. 

I need another cabinet, I have a standing one a bit larger than yours that is over flowing. I'm looking at a Kobalt or Husky 5' work top type, something in this neighborhood: 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-66-in-W-24-in-D-12-Drawer-Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Workbench-Black-76812A24/204398429

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

haha yeah, there's an empty drawer too.. we'll find a use for it all down the road I'm sure. I do like a toolbox that isn't full though -- makes it easy to get to everything and keep it organized

those capri sockets in that blue box are super nice. They are strictly for the audi tho -- triple square spline bits lol. They are probably our nicest stuff though xD

I might have to invest in triple squares eventually. New Chevy Cruzes has a lot of them in the engine area because its all German made stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Looks like a solid start! You've got some room to grow too. 

I need another cabinet, I have a standing one a bit larger than yours that is over flowing. I'm looking at a Kobalt or Husky 5' work top type, something in this neighborhood: 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-66-in-W-24-in-D-12-Drawer-Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Workbench-Black-76812A24/204398429

we almost got one of those, then decided it was too expensive for our current needs lol

so we got the smaller one and a cabinet instead to replace our old wire metal shelf, also we can lock it so it keeps the little one away from all the chemicals and stuff

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

I might have to invest in triple squares eventually. New Chevy Cruzes has a lot of them in the engine area because its all German made stuff. 

well if you ever need some -- look into the capri's. they seem great. only used one of them once though. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

well if you ever need some -- look into the capri's. they seem great. only used one of them once though. 

In my limited experience with VWs, you pretty much need shallow, regs, and long triple squares. And allens as well. 

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

In my limited experience with VWs, you pretty much need shallow, regs, and long triple squares. And allens as well. 

I didn't realize there were different sizes of triple square bits xD

oh well... If we run into the problem where we need one then I guess we'll get more. Don't even need them now really because warranty...

Spoiler

I didn't realize there were different sizes of triple square bits xD

oh well... If we run into the problem where we need one then I guess we'll get more. Don't even need them now really because warranty...

Really helps to have the long ones for axles. You probably wouldn't need shallows. 

ok 60 grand for a final edition evo x is just flat out INSANE. http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/5945915390.html

TIL there are people actually take e39 m5s to autocross. i'm surprised someone would take a huge hunk of german metal to such a tight course.