Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

that honestly says the same with any german luxury brand, though for me, it's gotta be 2004 or older, and it has to be a manual, or able to swap a manual drivetrain into there. 

The absolute newest I would go would probably be the first gen a4 with the 2.0T 6 speed only cause I want a RS4 in that body style

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

10 minutes ago, terrytek said:

that honestly says the same with any german luxury brand, though for me, it's gotta be 2004 or older, and it has to be a manual, or able to swap a manual drivetrain into there. 

I am usually like that accept when it comes to BMW I cant pass up an E60 M5 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

I can easily, just shift in to 3rd put it to the floor and fly by 

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

9 minutes ago, KingCry said:

The absolute newest I would go would probably be the first gen a4 with the 2.0T 6 speed only cause I want a RS4 in that body style

i'd probably get a 1st or second gen, or a 4th gen a4 (i didn't like the 3rd gen at all) or s4, only in a manual. in an avant would be even better. that glorious v6 in a wagon, plus two step launches, squatting down low, better than sex.

3 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

i'd still drive a 2003 e39 m5 over the e60 tbh. cheaper to maintain (not cheap by normal car standards still), manual option, so you have 100 percent chance of getting a manual e39 m5, plus that 5.0 liter v8 just sounds great tbh. the e60 m5 is great, but i just don't reall like it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

but honestly i hate how today, audi has copied mercedes by basically ridding all of their models of a stick shift, just going with automatics in every single model. that's just plain stupid, i mean even the base a4 doesn't have a stinking manual, when the previous generation did. that's just sad. i remember 10-15 years ago, audi had put a manual in every model lineup, including the glorious r8, but the only exceptions were the a6/s6 and the a8/s8 because mostly rich motherfuckers bought those cars, and were less willing to row gears in such a big car. i only like bmw because they still try to keep luxury and manuals in the same category, though with what is happening with self driving cars, i don't see that happening for much longer.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Cant quote for some reason :/

Anyways I just love the V10 in that car, I realize its expensive to maintain and guzzles gas. But that sound at the higher rev range just makes me forget about all the problems it has.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

6 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

Anyways I just love the V10 in that car, I realize its expensive to maintain and guzzles gas. But that sound at the higher rev range just makes me forget about all the problems it has.

-snip-

I know someone who has one. Really interesting sounding car

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

Anyways I just love the V10 in that car, I realize its expensive to maintain and guzels gas but that sound at the higher rev range just makes me forget about all the problems it has.

idk, it screams too much at high rpms. tbh i think lamborghini/audi/vw do v10s better, and it's obvious they're better too. the m5 had a v10 for only like 5 years, and they were normally prone to issues, especially with the SMG and rod bearings, while audi/lamborghini has had a v10 since the first year of the gallardo, and are still using v10s in the huracan, and they typically lasted longer than bmw v10s.

22 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i'd probably get a 1st or second gen, or a 4th gen a4 (i didn't like the 3rd gen at all) or s4, only in a manual. in an avant would be even better. that glorious v6 in a wagon, plus two step launches, squatting down low, better than sex.

Avant for me would ONLY be the RS6 and that I would take a new one for 

|King Of The Lost|

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

idk, it screams too much at high rpms. tbh i think lamborghini/audi/vw do v10s better, and it's obvious they're better too. the m5 had a v10 for only like 5 years, and they were normally prone to issues, especially with the SMG and rod bearings, while audi/lamborghini has had a v10 since the first year of the gallardo, and are still using v10s in the huracan, and they typically lasted longer than bmw v10s.

got quotes to work again. That is true but I wouldn't consider Lamborghini to be in the same category as its a two seater supercar and 120k dollar difference, the guys who own them can also afford repairs (usually) and they do sound better I wont lie.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think audi is the only other company to  make a V10 sedan but they faced the same high maintenance problems that BMW did and were only in for one generation as well. They ended up scrapping the V10 sedan project after that.

As an early graduation present my father is going to give me one of his cars since the Jeep I bought two years ago(2003 Jeep wrangler with 206,000 miles) finally gave up. He is offering me one of the two vehicles.

2002 BMW z3 (manual transmission) with 76,000 miles

or

2004 Mustang Gt convertible with 88,000 miles

He is the craziest car guru and I swear he has some new classic pre-80's hot rod every few months but these are the two cars he has had for a few years and just uses them to get around town. Both are in near perfect mechanical condition but I can't decide which one I like better. I plan on taking whichever one I decide on to college with me and my old Jeep was a manual so that isn't a problem either. What do you people think? (Don't tell me I should go out and buy a new car, we are talking about a free car here and I am not passing up this opportunity)

29 minutes ago, terrytek said:

but honestly i hate how today, audi has copied mercedes by basically ridding all of their models of a stick shift, just going with automatics in every single model. that's just plain stupid, i mean even the base a4 doesn't have a stinking manual, when the previous generation did. that's just sad. i remember 10-15 years ago, audi had put a manual in every model lineup, including the glorious r8, but the only exceptions were the a6/s6 and the a8/s8 because mostly rich motherfuckers bought those cars, and were less willing to row gears in such a big car. i only like bmw because they still try to keep luxury and manuals in the same category, though with what is happening with self driving cars, i don't see that happening for much longer.

So people that own an R8 aren't rich motherfuckers, unlike the A6 and A8 owners?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

got quotes to work again. That is true but I wouldn't consider Lamborghini to be in the same category as its a two seater supercar and 120k dollar difference, the guys who own them can also afford repairs (usually) and they do sound better I wont lie.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think audi is the only other company to  make a V10 sedan but they faced the same high maintenance problems that BMW did and were only in for one generation as well. They ended up scrapping the V10 sedan project after that.

i mean the vw phaeton also had a v10 model too. but 3 things. 1. it was a VAG car, 2. it was a TDI motor. 3. it only sold from 2003-2007. but it was a biturbo v10, so it was very powerful. but bmw and audi were the only germans to create v10s. mercedes had v12s and v8s. and the only other carmakers that sold v10 models were lexus with the lfa, and porsche with the carrera, and dodge with the viper. but those were all high performance v10 coupes. the only v10 sedan i'd drive is the 2nd gen rs6 with the twin turbo v10. like as if the 5.2 lambo motor wasn't enough, audi had to go and twin turbo it.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

So people that own an R8 aren't rich motherfuckers, unlike the A6 and A8 owners?

well of course they are, but unlike mercedes and bmw, who don't offer manuals on their highest end sports coupes, like the m6 and sls amg, the r8 offered a manual for those who wanted the prestige of a supercar like the r8, but still wanted the thrill of rowing your own gears.

god, all of a sudden, my pc just starts running like absolute fucking crap. my internet download speeds download like crap, my hard drive transfer speeds have absolutely tanked, and now it takes forever just to load shit now. i don't understand how a pc can degrade in speed so quickly, since it ran fine like 4-5 days ago.

Finally, pay day is coming tomorrow. Time to get functional speakers and fix my subwoofer :D

I want to get an exhaust too but I think that will have to wait, should probably fix the vacuum lines up so it idles right first. But I am wondering how annoying it would sound if I just unbolted right past the down pipe. Would probably drone a lot.

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

well of course they are, but unlike mercedes and bmw, who don't offer manuals on their highest end sports coupes, like the m6 and sls amg, the r8 offered a manual for those who wanted the prestige of a supercar like the r8, but still wanted the thrill of rowing your own gears.

To me, its not a huuuge issue if the auto is actually good. At those price ranges, the shifts better be instant. There is, in my honest opinion a price range for the enthusiast crowd as a big chunk. Once you eclipse that, you really cut them off and the need for two different transmissions taper off. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

@terrytek Did they sell the RS6 twin turbo in the usa?

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

@terrytek Did they sell the RS6 twin turbo in the usa?

of course not. audi never sold any of their good models in the usa. >:( the closest we ever got was the v10 NA s6. well technically we did get 4 rs models overall. one generation of the RS4 based on the 2nd gen a4 (which was the ugliest generation ever) and the rs3 i believe, and the rs5, and the rs7. i think the rs7 is the only rs model being sold by audi in the USA as of today, like you can pick one up brand new.

The RS7 is pretty much the RS6, just a tiny bit different right?

that said... A tuned S6 is no slouch, heck a tuned A6 can do 193mph lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The RS7 is pretty much the RS6, just a tiny bit different right?

that said... A tuned S6 is no slouch, heck a tuned A6 can do 193mph lol

rs6 is an actual wagon. rs7 is a fastback, the cls 63 is basically its direct competitor.

edit: i didn't mean shooting brake, i meant fastback. derp. but the cls 63 does have a shooting brake, in case you were curious. ;) 

"people actually remember like driving" yeah fucking right. like cmon, look at the fucking thing. they claim that it's a car built for drivers? toyota, are you on a sackload of crack or some shit? what you can do for us drivers who enjoy driving would be to put a manual in every sedan and coupe in your lineup. this is just bullshit.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

rs6 is an actual wagon. rs7 is a fastback, the cls 63 is basically its direct competitor.

edit: i didn't mean shooting brake, i meant fastback. derp. but the cls 63 does have a shooting brake, in case you were curious. ;) 

They have an rs6 sedan though... And the coupé rs7 isn't really much different. In fact I really don't know why the A7/S7 is more expensive than the A6/S6 here because they are the same car, just slightly different functional designs.... 

The 7's have a smaller trunk... But it's still big so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

They have an rs6 sedan though... And the coupé rs7 isn't really much different. In fact I really don't know why the A7/S7 is more expensive than the A6/S6 here because they are the same car, just slightly different functional designs.... 

The 7's have a smaller trunk... But it's still big so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

actually, as of the third generation, there is only a wagon rs6, no more rs6 sedan with the 3rd gen rs6. and really if i had to choose rs6 or rs7, i'd honestly pick the 7, because it's more sleek, though i admit, the 6 is more practical while delivering a brutal shove of power.

Same

Screenshot_20170105-004540.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB