Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

How good is a pre 95 gmc jimmy as a first diesel car?

Talking like a little isuzu 4cylindee diesel S-series truck or the 6.2 diesel C/K series truck?

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

Aligner computer says fuck you.

IMG_20230929_143602.thumb.jpg.bcd3d5153d52d42b242facad69d63e76.jpg

Thankfully the BIOS battery is eeeeaaassssy to replace on it.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Thankfully the BIOS battery is eeeeaaassssy to replace on it.

Looks like alignments are a hot seller there.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 hours ago, vetali said:

Looks like alignments are a hot seller there.

Sold with 99% of suspension repairs and 99% of the time they're out....on the side of end we didn't work on lol. This Audi has 1/2 deg R/R toe out of spec.

23 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

Product photo of 1989 GMC Jimmy · Sport Utility 2D

the actual gmc jimmy

1. The S10 jimmy (pictured) and k5 jimmy are both "actual" Jimmy's.

2. If that has the original 2.2l isuzu engine a whole TWENTY EIGHT whp as all they make.

No idea what they are like to maintain or work on. but I know some collectors that would be interested in purchasing it if it's all original. Diesel is rare enough, let alone a 2dr blazer.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

7 minutes ago, Vonrottes said:

2. If that has the original 2.2l isuzu engine a whole TWENTY EIGHT whp as all they make.

No idea what they are like to maintain or work on. but I know some collectors that would be interested in purchasing it if it's all original. Diesel is rare enough, let alone a 2dr blazer.

28 WHP? Jeez, you would notice if you forgot your wallet with that power. Never seen a diesel S10 in person.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

48 minutes ago, vetali said:

28 WHP? Jeez, you would notice if you forgot your wallet with that power. Never seen a diesel S10 in person.

I've only seen one.

They are pretty rare.

Vaporwave: 

13 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

this one comes with the 4.3 v6

2 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

this one comes with the 4.3 v6

The 4.3 isn't diesel 🤔 why were you asking if a jimmy was a good diesel car?

I'm seriously lost and confused here.

Vaporwave: 

1 hour ago, Vonrottes said:

The 4.3 isn't diesel 🤔 why were you asking if a jimmy was a good diesel car?

I'm seriously lost and confused here.

because my friend is offering to sell me his old one that looks like that and he said it had a 4.3 diesel in it and i want a small truck or suv but i don't have experience with working on diesel engines so i was wanting to know how maintenance heavy/reliable they were.

Yeah the 4.3 is a gas motor. Its a 350 with two less cylinders. Unbalanced as hell, leak oil everywhere, but reliable. I liked mine when I had it.

2 hours ago, the gamer that is bad said:

because my friend is offering to sell me his old one that looks like that and he said it had a 4.3 diesel in it and i want a small truck or suv but i don't have experience with working on diesel engines so i was wanting to know how maintenance heavy/reliable they were.

Yeahhh that's gonna be a TBI or CPI gasoline engine.
90 degree v6. CPI engines had a balance shaft that helped a little bit. they aren't junk but.... they aren't great peak power for them in the 1st gen was only 195hp from the CPI version. they are however pretty simple to work on, seeing as they are based on 1950's design technology with electronic bits bolted to the outside.

Vaporwave: 

21 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah the 4.3 is a gas motor. Its a 350 with two less cylinders. Unbalanced as hell, leak oil everywhere, but reliable. I liked mine when I had it.

Mine isn't like that (Unbalanced), runs smoothly and doesn't have any off-balance/vibration issues to even mention. 
Since mine is closing in on 300,000, naturally it has an oil seep or two but nothing to worry about, you may see a small/tiny oil spot on concrete occasionally but that's it.

Reliable?
To a literal fault - I love mine.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

45 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Mine isn't like that (Unbalanced), runs smoothly and doesn't have any off-balance/vibration issues to even mention. 
Since mine is closing in on 300,000, naturally it has an oil seep or two but nothing to worry about, you may see a small/tiny oil spot on concrete occasionally but that's it.

Reliable?
To a literal fault - I love mine.

It is very unbalanced lol. I've had 3 different 4.3s; TBI, CPI, and that dumb spider injection one and have worked on plenty of them in the shop. Done plenty of oil cooler adapters/lines, oil pan and timing covers. Brilliant design to use a plastic one time use timing cover.

On 10/1/2023 at 6:56 PM, vetali said:

Couldn't agree more. Unbalanced pos, but fun pos. Especially when the muffler rots off 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I wouldn't say the 4.3 is any worse or better than the iron duke or 2.8 🤷‍♂️

None of them are great but take care of them and they'll last without much fuss if you aren't tryna drag race them 😂

Vaporwave: 

20 hours ago, vetali said:

It is very unbalanced lol. I've had 3 different 4.3s; TBI, CPI, and that dumb spider injection one and have worked on plenty of them in the shop. Done plenty of oil cooler adapters/lines, oil pan and timing covers. Brilliant design to use a plastic one time use timing cover.

Then I must be misunderstanding what you mean by "Unbalanced".......

I've always known that to be whether or not the engine runs smoothly without much, if any "Shake" to it - As if you were to set a full glass of water on the aircleaner and it never splash/spill a drop from it vs another that runs with enough roughness/vibration to splash the water or even shake the glass right off the cleaner.

The engine in this one more or less runs with VERY little to none of that going on I've ever seen without something causing it (Bad plug wire, bad fuel system sensor... That kind of thing) and that's why I say that.

Now - It's possible because it's a V6 that may be causing what you are referring to vs what I'm thinking here.

Just some shiite to here to think about....
A V6 doesn't have the same vibrational harmonic as a V8 for example because the "Pulses" it gets from each cylinder per revolution as each cylinder fires is different.
For a 4 cycle engine, that means a V8 fires 4 times per revolution, a V6 fires 3 times per revolution and a standard 4 cylinder will fire twice per revolution.....
But note there is an odd number of firing events per revolution with the V6 and maybe that's why.

Just bear in mind it's just a thought.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Then I must be misunderstanding what you mean by "Unbalanced".......

I've always known that to be whether or not the engine runs smoothly without much, if any "Shake" to it - As if you were to set a full glass of water on the aircleaner and it never splash/spill a drop from it vs another that runs with enough roughness/vibration to splash the water or even shake the glass right off the cleaner.

The engine in this one more or less runs with VERY little to none of that going on I've ever seen without something causing it (Bad plug wire, bad fuel system sensor... That kind of thing) and that's why I say that.

Now - It's possible because it's a V6 that may be causing what you are referring to vs what I'm thinking here.

Just some shiite to here to think about....
A V6 doesn't have the same vibrational harmonic as a V8 for example because the "Pulses" it gets from each cylinder per revolution as each cylinder fires is different.
For a 4 cycle engine, that means a V8 fires 4 times per revolution, a V6 fires 3 times per revolution and a standard 4 cylinder will fire twice per revolution.....
But note there is an odd number of firing events per revolution with the V6 and maybe that's why.

Just bear in mind it's just a thought.

I daily a v6. It running in 2 cylinder mode feels smoother. The problem with the 4.3 is its a 90 degree large displacement v6 based on a v8.

6 minutes ago, vetali said:

I daily a v6. It running in 2 cylinder mode feels smoother. The problem with the 4.3 is its a 90 degree large displacement v6 based on a v8.

Certainly possible combined with what I'm thinking here.
All I can tell you is the one here doesn't have any undue vibration as described.

The smoothest engine I've ever known personally was in a 68 Mustang coup with a stock 289, the thing ran so smoothly at a stop you coudn't feel or hear it running, as if the engine wasn't running.
I drove it and thought the engine had quit but the grind I got from tapping the starter proved it was indeed still running, so I waited for the light to change, mashed the gas and away it went.
It was also a peppy little engine too, you coudn't get in it too hard or it would just light 'em up and it was a stock 2-barrel engine too.
I kinda wish I had the $$ to have bought it (Was for sale) but that's how it goes.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

All V6 engines are inherently poorly balanced, the balance shaft in the 4.3 goes A LONG way, so do the engine mounts.

Don't forget the 30 pound flywheel on manuals.

38 minutes ago, Bitter said:

All V6 engines are inherently poorly balanced, the balance shaft in the 4.3 goes A LONG way, so do the engine mounts.

I really wish I6's were more common

So nice having all your cylinders right on top of the motor where spark plugs, fuel rail, etc. is easily accessible and only 1 cylinder head to worry about, and it's perfectly balanced. Timing chain design can also simpler and easier to deal with.

Really nothing but advantages for the I6 design? It be the best? I mean, it's a little long, but who cares? Just make it a bit smaller and strap a turbo to it. The modern solution to things being too big LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Still waiting for the day I can 3D print a 1.6L V12 and stick it in an econobox

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1