Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Unreal....

rust in a "modern" car is simply unreal...

Salt belt says hi. Ready for the scrap yard in 5 years.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 hours ago, vetali said:

Hell you can scrap it before your lease is up for a lot of vehicles.

14 hours ago, vetali said:

5? your cars last that long? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

On 4/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, vetali said:

That maps thing just shows near me, was confused when there were no dealers in Washington/Oregon with Mcgrath lol.

Mine shows Insurance Agents and Surgery Experts within one of the hospital networks. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

20 hours ago, vetali said:

Good thing I get thru half a fleet of cars over that same time period 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Think my car just needs a completely new wiring harness. It has decided that it's going to refuse to start again...unless I get a jumper cable and bridge the battery's earth to the engine mount. Then when it has started, the battery only reads 11.9V (and sits at 12.6V engine off, the alternator is definitely still works). 

Guess the two jerryrigged 4 gauge earths (one to starter, one to engine mount) is just not enough to "supplement" the (corroded to hell) 2 gauge 😕 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just run new grounds to the trans, engine, and body. Should be fine.

Both of these pictures are the same cloth seats in the front of this car I've been working on. They're both cloth.

20230410_102225.jpg

20230410_102218.jpg

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

Both of these pictures are the same cloth seats in the front of this car I've been working on. They're both cloth.

20230410_102225.jpg

20230410_102218.jpg

Hazmat suit required ....

Pete

Lets see if i put the bike down with the correct fuel in the tank or im looking forward to an injector cleaning......

(Here regular 95 octane sadly has a mandatory percent of ethanol in it which can and will make a mess over time, i have to buy the more expensive 100 octane fuel that uses something to replace that cancer which doesnt have the same nasty properties...)

Who knows what lurks inside the hearts of neglected engines.....the borescop knows!

Photo_20230417144107.jpg

20 hours ago, Bitter said:

Who knows what lurks inside the hearts of neglected engines.....the borescop knows!

Spoiler

Photo_20230417144107.jpg

What the hell is that? :old-woah:

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

What the hell is that? :old-woah:

Engine sludge. Borescope side facing camera is a bit of a potato.

Air filter box has been open for who knows how long and the car looks like it lives down a dirt road so who knows how much of that is actually dirt that's gotten into the engine. After driving the car the visibly darkened fresh oil actually became cleaner because new filter. I've never seen that before. I suspect this car is getting 10,000 mile oil changes plus no air filtration plus it's a shitty little Chevy engine already known for PCV problems. Good recipe for sludge. I was hoping to see the oil pickup but it's not visible.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Engine sludge. Borescope side facing camera is a bit of a potato.

Air filter box has been open for who knows how long and the car looks like it lives down a dirt road so who knows how much of that is actually dirt that's gotten into the engine. After driving the car the visibly darkened fresh oil actually became cleaner because new filter. I've never seen that before. I suspect this car is getting 10,000 mile oil changes plus no air filtration plus it's a shitty little Chevy engine already known for PCV problems. Good recipe for sludge. I was hoping to see the oil pickup but it's not visible.

The classic Chevynobyl elephants turd.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2017 GTI in the shop, nice car. I like GTI's but I'd never own a VDub. Throwing cyl 1 and 2 misfire codes and had a cam/crank sync code stored, initially just cyl 2 misfire before it went to a dealer before coming to us. I inspect for mechanical faults first, no crank walk (it's stock 80,000 miles and looks unmodified so didn't anticipate any), new plugs just installed by VW dealer in November who also did a 'cleaning of the intake' which I assumed meant they walnut blasted the ports with the manifold off, compression is perfect across the board. Nah. #2 intake valves are CAKED in shit, saw it with the borescope while slowly hand cranking the engine over. Other cylinders dirty but not as dirty as #2. I'm hoping some mechanical cleaning solves the issue because otherwise it'll be something timing system related, chain stretch, phaser issues, etc. Owner says it's just codes, never flashing light and never feels misfires but the owner is fairly young and maybe doesn't have the feel for stuff yet.

Photo_20230421114006.jpg

Photo_20230421113902.jpg

Photo_20230421114253.jpg

Photo_20230421114014.jpg

20230421_182133.jpg

I don't think newer VWs have a lot of timing issues on their 4 cylinders. I would check the PCV valve. Any vacuum in the crank case, replace the whole assembly with an OEM part.

Had a 15 fit in today with 180k miles... said it was struggling to get up hills. Thing struggled to move into my flat stall from the drive. I scan it, has the CVT death code of p0793. Also running pretty rough. Decide I need a lift, play musical cars because I have a shit ton of work going on. Lift it up and give it the magnet check on the pan of the trans. You can hear belt fragments rattling around when I move the magnet. Needs a transmission. Check out the misfire by running an A/F test... every cylinder failed. Pulled plugs, original plugs but looked not terrible. Recommended injectors and media blasting the valves. Was like 7k out the door of work... injectors are 1k for a set. Trans almost 4k. Plus labor for everything. I offered the guy 500 bucks for it lol.

35 minutes ago, vetali said:

I don't think newer VWs have a lot of timing issues on their 4 cylinders. I would check the PCV valve. Any vacuum in the crank case, replace the whole assembly with an OEM part.

Had a 15 fit in today with 180k miles... said it was struggling to get up hills. Thing struggled to move into my flat stall from the drive. I scan it, has the CVT death code of p0793. Also running pretty rough. Decide I need a lift, play musical cars because I have a shit ton of work going on. Lift it up and give it the magnet check on the pan of the trans. You can hear belt fragments rattling around when I move the magnet. Needs a transmission. Check out the misfire by running an A/F test... every cylinder failed. Pulled plugs, original plugs but looked not terrible. Recommended injectors and media blasting the valves. Was like 7k out the door of work... injectors are 1k for a set. Trans almost 4k. Plus labor for everything. I offered the guy 500 bucks for it lol.

Yeah, not the first Terribly Stupid Invention (TSI) I've worked on unfortunately. I made everyone aware there could be timing parts problems with it but let's start with what we can see and know is bad. I'm going to toss the scan tool on it and look at some cam position data Monday before I tear it down. Owner wants some photos showing the untouched intake to go complain to the dealer because they too were under the impression that for $900 they got more than spark plugs and a bottle of injector cleaner in the gas tank. Pulling the intake manifold is like 3.5 hours plus a couple hours of cleaning time so no way $900 would have covered that work but they don't know that, on the other hand $900 is really high for 4 spark plugs and pour some stuff in the gas so I'm interested in what exactly they did do....

If I recall correctly I should be able to see commanded vs actual position for the cams and determine if the timing is stretched beyond what it should be, 80,000 miles isn't a whole bunch but who knows how often it's been getting oil changes.

Neat trick about the magnet on the pan, didn't ever occur to me. Ages ago we had a trans go in a Jeep Compass with high miles, that Jatco unit failed so hard it was stalling the engine in gear and locking up with a huge metal clud sound. Got a brand new trans from the dealer, sent it for programming and the flash update the dealer had from chrysler was bad, bricked the PCM and bricked the replacement PCM too, they tried to blame it on the trans but we bought the trans from them LOL. Sat at the dealer for 4 months before Chrysler got some correct software out for it. Turned out they broke the immobilizer code on the update and bricked some other cars too...just happened this one was the or one of the first ones.

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yeah, not the first Terribly Stupid Invention (TSI) I've worked on unfortunately. I made everyone aware there could be timing parts problems with it but let's start with what we can see and know is bad. I'm going to toss the scan tool on it and look at some cam position data Monday before I tear it down. Owner wants some photos showing the untouched intake to go complain to the dealer because they too were under the impression that for $900 they got more than spark plugs and a bottle of injector cleaner in the gas tank. Pulling the intake manifold is like 3.5 hours plus a couple hours of cleaning time so no way $900 would have covered that work but they don't know that, on the other hand $900 is really high for 4 spark plugs and pour some stuff in the gas so I'm interested in what exactly they did do....

If I recall correctly I should be able to see commanded vs actual position for the cams and determine if the timing is stretched beyond what it should be, 80,000 miles isn't a whole bunch but who knows how often it's been getting oil changes.

Neat trick about the magnet on the pan, didn't ever occur to me. Ages ago we had a trans go in a Jeep Compass with high miles, that Jatco unit failed so hard it was stalling the engine in gear and locking up with a huge metal clud sound. Got a brand new trans from the dealer, sent it for programming and the flash update the dealer had from chrysler was bad, bricked the PCM and bricked the replacement PCM too, they tried to blame it on the trans but we bought the trans from them LOL. Sat at the dealer for 4 months before Chrysler got some correct software out for it. Turned out they broke the immobilizer code on the update and bricked some other cars too...just happened this one was the or one of the first ones.

Yeah sounds like a scam, or they were sold an injection cleaning that doesn't do crap on these DI valves.

That is from the HR-V recall. They have a little template to gather everything in the pan with a magnet in one location then stick the magnet in that area. If it sticks, then the trans is condemned. Works on other aluminum pan transmissions I suppose. Just be aware that there are magnetic things normally in the pan. Just because it sticks doesn't mean its bad. Usually if you can hear the shrapnel dragging around in the pan with the magnet.... then yeah lol.

There is a VW TSB for poor idle due to carboned injector tips and some special sauce VW injector cleaner they're supposed to goodwill one bottle under warranty with a stern talking about not buying shitty gas. I'm guessing they charged a bunch of money for that. The piston tops are very clean!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10157307-9999.pdf

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the dealer service dept isn't so inept that they'd think that cleans intake valves on DI engines, nor do I think the mechanics are so inept. Actually I've found the best way to get under the skin of fellow mechanics is to hand wave away 'oh yeah these modern cars are so complicated, I wouldn't have expected you to understand that anyway' and they'll get all huffy and pretty much admit they did know better and that look they give when they realize they've just admitted to knowing better but not doing better is kind of amusing.

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

There is a VW TSB for poor idle due to carboned injector tips and some special sauce VW injector cleaner they're supposed to goodwill one bottle under warranty with a stern talking about not buying shitty gas. I'm guessing they charged a bunch of money for that. The piston tops are very clean!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10157307-9999.pdf

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the dealer service dept isn't so inept that they'd think that cleans intake valves on DI engines, nor do I think the mechanics are so inept. Actually I've found the best way to get under the skin of fellow mechanics is to hand wave away 'oh yeah these modern cars are so complicated, I wouldn't have expected you to understand that anyway' and they'll get all huffy and pretty much admit they did know better and that look they give when they realize they've just admitted to knowing better but not doing better is kind of amusing.

I always buy top tier gas, and my injectors were in great shape when I tore everything apart. Only replaced them due to the seal kit being backordered at the time... injectors were not lol. Plus both banks are now equally flow rated. Old set had separate flow rates.

Thing with a dealer is so much gets lost in communication. Just today was working on an old CR-V. I spoke directly with the advisor that said it misfires at 55mph. Look at the prewrite, says CEL comes on at 55... scan the stored code its a knock sensor p0325 code. CEL isn't on and Honda can sometimes clear misfires as it sees fit, so I drive it at highway speeds. CEL comes on, rescan it.... still p0325. No misfires at all.

5 hours ago, vetali said:

I don't think newer VWs have a lot of timing issues on their 4 cylinders

Chains are still a relatively common issue with the EA888.

Seen no end of them with carbon buildup inc on engines that have both DI and port injection. 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

9 hours ago, vetali said:

I always buy top tier gas, and my injectors were in great shape when I tore everything apart. Only replaced them due to the seal kit being backordered at the time... injectors were not lol. Plus both banks are now equally flow rated. Old set had separate flow rates.

Thing with a dealer is so much gets lost in communication. Just today was working on an old CR-V. I spoke directly with the advisor that said it misfires at 55mph. Look at the prewrite, says CEL comes on at 55... scan the stored code its a knock sensor p0325 code. CEL isn't on and Honda can sometimes clear misfires as it sees fit, so I drive it at highway speeds. CEL comes on, rescan it.... still p0325. No misfires at all.

Uh yup. If I have a question I'll just call the customer or speak to the customer myself to get to the root of it. Thankfully I'm somewhere that I can do that, honestly some of the write ups I get from customers and on occasion the front desk are so vague and useless..."alignment feels off" or "warning light on sometimes". Front desk used to be a cook/chef so I'll ask her how she'd like it if the server came to the back and said "gimme one food please" LOL. She's learned what kinds of questions to ask and it's improved a lot. Feels off how? Was this a sudden change? Did you hit something? Were parts replaced? Were parts replaced because you hit something? etc. Her 5 minutes of playing 20 questions saves us an hour or more in the back. Everyone wins, I can fix it faster and turn over more work, she doesn't need to call them back to ask more stuff, and I don't need to waste their money spending more time looking for shit.

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Chains are still a relatively common issue with the EA888.

Seen no end of them with carbon buildup inc on engines that have both DI and port injection. 

I've heard nothing good about the long term reliability of the TSI and TFSI engines unless immaculately cared for and unmodified. My impression is you can have a fun time or you can have a long time but you can't have both and you also can't have the 2nd to last one either.