Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

21 minutes ago, vetali said:

Missed this, quick googling shows a cylinder head temperature sensor on other VWs,

I found these picture from a guy who had a code for that sensor on an Audi A7 with a 3.0L TDI motor(although I think the Audis got 2 turbos instead of 1 so you the piping is a little different); guess I’ll go see if that’s there on mine and unplug it and see if that’s the one

image.jpeg.1b0946411d9cdecf824aac28a3ca103a.jpeg

image.png.86e70221e3c1a4e8acf49f1f7de03cf4.png

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yeah thats the thread I looked at. Wasn't sure if it was a similar setup. Should set a code if its reading that skewed... weird.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

8 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah thats the thread I looked at. Wasn't sure if it was a similar setup. Should set a code if its reading that skewed... weird.

I had asked on Touareg forum and they actually said that value is irrelevant on my engine 

Just not sure how to prove that lol I want to see someone else with a functioning car with that same value 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I had asked on Touareg forum and they actually said that value is irrelevant on my engine 

Just not sure how to prove that lol I want to see someone else with a functioning car with that same value 

Would make sense because its not setting a code, but I am not sure how VW handles unused PIDs. Some of me wonders if it shows up due to improper coding, like if the ECM was replaced before and not coded properly. Still, should have a code.

So no idea. I don't do much on VWs anymore. I refuse to install aftermarket parts on them, so people go to cheaper shops and have aftermarket parts installed 3 times before it works.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Just Jeep things.

Shattered tailgate because someone hung an aftermarket wheel and tire on it that's heavier, but I hear it happens with stock stuff too.

IMG_20230106_105840.jpg

25 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Just Jeep things.

Shattered tailgate because someone hung an aftermarket wheel and tire on it that's heavier, but I hear it happens with stock stuff too.

Looks like internal rusting degraded the metal allowing for an early failure. I've never seen that failure before on any JK's. The dents and scratches make it look like the owners closed the door on objects in the hatch frequently, allowing for rust to start.

I always liked the JK's, bought my first one in 2008 and kept it 10 years and traded it on the one I currently own; a 2018 JK Golden Eagle edition.  Gas mileage isn't great TBH.

I think the welds broke first, dent is actually the one not cracked area! Once the spot welds let go the whole thing ate it. This is a 4 door so not a JK? I don't know Jeeps so well but I think this is the generation after with the 3.6? Looks like the temper on the steel was wrong after stamping, worsened by the spot welds, got super brittle. Poor steel selection or lack of proper treatment to correct stamping and welding brittleness. I know Jeep had cracking door problems in the 90's with Cherokees. 

49 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

Looks like internal rusting degraded the metal allowing for an early failure. I've never seen that failure before on any JK's. The dents and scratches make it look like the owners closed the door on objects in the hatch frequently, allowing for rust to start.

I always liked the JK's, bought my first one in 2008 and kept it 10 years and traded it on the one I currently own; a 2018 JK Golden Eagle edition.  Gas mileage isn't great TBH.

58 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I think the welds broke first, dent is actually the one not cracked area! Once the spot welds let go the whole thing ate it. This is a 4 door so not a JK? I don't know Jeeps so well but I think this is the generation after with the 3.6? Looks like the temper on the steel was wrong after stamping, worsened by the spot welds, got super brittle. Poor steel selection or lack of proper treatment to correct stamping and welding brittleness. I know Jeep had cracking door problems in the 90's with Cherokees. 

1945-1986 = CJ

1987-1995 =  YJ

1996-2006 = TJ

2007-2018 = JK

2019-current = JL

Current crash test's show JL's are dangerous when it comes to the small overlap test, for some reason they roll over. Previous years did not. They changed the axles from the (JK) Dana 35/44 front dana 40/44 rear to new (JL) Dana m300? axles, they look the same but behave differently. I'm sure it was cost cutting measures by parent company FIAT, no verification just grumbling. 

2 hours ago, PC Master Blaster said:

Looks like internal rusting degraded the metal allowing for an early failure.

I'd imagine it warped / cracked first and then rusted.

13 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'd imagine it warped / cracked first and then rusted.

Imaginations run wild   😛

JK's have been around for 15 years, oversized wheel/tire combos are the norm, not the exception. These failures have been documented but are so incredible uncommon that the reports are more conjecture then fact. 

35's or larger with tires such a Nittos are heavy but that alone isn't enough. Banging the tire carrier while off roading has been suggested to contribute to an early to the few posters that were being honest.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/tailgate-failure-carrying-35-tire.245372/

This thing looks like 100% a mall crawler, I think the drive on rack is the steepest hill it's climbed since the car carrier at the dealer.

38 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

JK's have been around for 15 years, oversized wheel/tire combos are the norm, not the exception. These failures have been documented but are so incredible uncommon that the reports are more conjecture then fact.

Tail gate damage from tires started well before the JKs....

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep jk cracked tailgate &ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-m

Yeah this doesn't look like an uncommon problem lol. Just typical Jeep stuff.

A Chrysler breaking? No way!

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

That's unpossible!

Customer states: car bent.

IMG_20230106_161831.jpg

I'ma go buy a 4runner with 400k miles

https://www.autotempest.com/details/vast-2788705806563927035 

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, vetali said:

Meh, I think most Jeep owners are used to breaking things every now and then.... 

My first broken axle, many years ago now:

57newbup.jpg

However after 20 years I can't really complain my Jeep really has been pretty good.  It's been wheeled a bunch, daily driver duty for some of those years,  had water in the motor, even been laid over, and yet it's still been a good vehicle despite the abuse I put it through.

On the street tires /wheels, more recently:

redafterpaint11.jpg

Finally bit the bullet and bought a dimming mirror for my Celica. Managed to find one with a red display hidden compass with the wire harness and wire channel, made for a Subaru but they use the same mirror mount as Toyota. I've wanted auto dimming and I like the hidden compass display, I wish the compass had an on/off button but I'll get used to it.

@Bitter

found out someone’s been in under hood the fuse box before, didn’t seat the rubber seals properly. And now look, this is how it was when I opened it up. 

lol. My luck 🙂 

6850A00B-BE4E-4FB4-8814-1EE0CFACAD68.jpeg

1C0804EB-873E-4806-9C25-D43B4049C30E.jpeg

DE7ADA88-E698-4659-B215-524142400747.jpeg

Spoiler

No idea what this all goes to but I was told it was important for my fan issue 52A85FA7-8969-4F7A-BF6D-7350519F36D8.jpeg.434e0de7d714348e54b102f0ad45b634.jpeg7579D802-12C1-4A94-83BC-DB4E13329B8A.jpeg.c6ca7861a4ff5a8e975c800abff2be7f.jpeg

Spoiler

Yeah that's some migratin' copper ions right there I tell you what. I've seen stuff like that bridge circuits plenty of times. You're gonna need to clean up all of that, get it dry, pack everything with di-electric grease, and keep your fingers crossed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062Y599K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 these are what I use at work.

On 1/3/2023 at 9:34 AM, Dillpickle23422 said:

Nice!! What year?

She's a 1998

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB