Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Finding more stupid cars it could be cool to own..

Now looking at a Lancia Thema 8.32 with a weird V8 from ferrari..

Aww man, tempting haha.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

We've had a 65 Riv with a 401 nailhead in the shop for like...years. It's a customer car, came in after sitting in their garage for like 20yrs. It's in pretty decent shape body wise but had some engine problems and a bad trans. We ended up having the head done but it still never ran right after, the dead cylinder wasn't dead but now the rest of the engine just wasn't running right like every cylinder had a vacuum leak. It's been off to the side and my boss and I putz with it in spare time. It's his project for these people but we both brain storm on it. Well today I had some down time because it's a light week while he's on vacation so I looked at it again, way back I said the intake gaskets looked wrong, the sealing bead on the metal gasket should NOT be visible when it's put together right and asked if he could have the gaskets on wrong. He said no they only go one way and  took his word for it, that's that. Today I looked at it, hopped on Google and in about 4 minutes had it solved, they are in fact flipped. I flipped them to the correct orientation and torqued the intake back down, primed the engine with some carb spray and got it running for the first time idling on it's own and starting easily. Carb needs some adjustment or work and I don't think the timing is set right yet, those aren't my expertise areas. From picking through some forums this is a SUPER common mistake a lot of people make when putting the engine together because the shape of the gasket and shape of the head make it appear that the gasket goes on one way which is incorrect. Maybe finally this car will be going home this year!

44 minutes ago, Bitter said:

We've had a 65 Riv with a 401 nailhead in the shop for like...years. It's a customer car, came in after sitting in their garage for like 20yrs. It's in pretty decent shape body wise but had some engine problems and a bad trans. We ended up having the head done but it still never ran right after, the dead cylinder wasn't dead but now the rest of the engine just wasn't running right like every cylinder had a vacuum leak. It's been off to the side and my boss and I putz with it in spare time.

It's his project for these people but we both brain storm on it. Well today I had some down time because it's a light week while he's on vacation so I looked at it again, way back I said the intake gaskets looked wrong, the sealing bead on the metal gasket should NOT be visible when it's put together right and asked if he could have the gaskets on wrong. He said no they only go one way and  took his word for it, that's that.

Today I looked at it, hopped on Google and in about 4 minutes had it solved, they are in fact flipped. I flipped them to the correct orientation and torqued the intake back down, primed the engine with some carb spray and got it running for the first time idling on it's own and starting easily. Carb needs some adjustment or work and I don't think the timing is set right yet, those aren't my expertise areas.

From picking through some forums this is a SUPER common mistake a lot of people make when putting the engine together because the shape of the gasket and shape of the head make it appear that the gasket goes on one way which is incorrect. Maybe finally this car will be going home this year!

it should come with a huge warning label in the packaging that says how it's supposed to be oriented lol

Sidenote, please don't take this personally I used to do this as well until someone told me this, but can you separate your paragraphs a bit, it just makes it easier on the eyes and makes it so people are more likely to read your post since it looks less "wall of texty"™. I did this in your quote, do you agree? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

it should come with a huge warning label in the packaging that says how it's supposed to be oriented lol

Sidenote, please don't take this personally I used to do this as well until someone told me this, but can you separate your paragraphs a bit, it just makes it easier on the eyes and makes it so people are more likely to read your post since it looks less "wall of texty"™. I did this in your quote, do you agree? 

I usually do that but this time I didn't lol. No foul man.

5 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Finding more stupid cars it could be cool to own..

Now looking at a Lancia Thema 8.32 with a weird V8 from ferrari..

Aww man, tempting haha.

Do it, track it, upload that to youtube lol

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

We've had a 65 Riv with a 401 nailhead in the shop for like...years. It's a customer car, came in after sitting in their garage for like 20yrs. It's in pretty decent shape body wise but had some engine problems and a bad trans. We ended up having the head done but it still never ran right after, the dead cylinder wasn't dead but now the rest of the engine just wasn't running right like every cylinder had a vacuum leak. It's been off to the side and my boss and I putz with it in spare time. It's his project for these people but we both brain storm on it. Well today I had some down time because it's a light week while he's on vacation so I looked at it again, way back I said the intake gaskets looked wrong, the sealing bead on the metal gasket should NOT be visible when it's put together right and asked if he could have the gaskets on wrong. He said no they only go one way and  took his word for it, that's that. Today I looked at it, hopped on Google and in about 4 minutes had it solved, they are in fact flipped. I flipped them to the correct orientation and torqued the intake back down, primed the engine with some carb spray and got it running for the first time idling on it's own and starting easily. Carb needs some adjustment or work and I don't think the timing is set right yet, those aren't my expertise areas. From picking through some forums this is a SUPER common mistake a lot of people make when putting the engine together because the shape of the gasket and shape of the head make it appear that the gasket goes on one way which is incorrect. Maybe finally this car will be going home this year!

That sounds like a really fun project to tinker at! I hope y'all can get it really going, I bet it'll sound awesome.

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

track it

Huh?

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

On 2/9/2022 at 11:14 PM, RGBoy said:

It’s….

It’s….

Not supposed to look like that…..

09F32340-DD42-43B7-B47F-95B738D35A82.jpeg
edit- not mine just saw this and thought it too good not to share 

What are you looking at here?

35 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Huh?

Take the vehicle to a race track, record the session and upload to youtube.

21 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Take the vehicle to a race track, record the session and upload to youtube.

OH haha I can only dream of doing that. Every time I see on other cars I keep forgetting the luxury my Volvo is giving me🤣

Maybe one day, watching a Thema with a v6 one too for a while, if it's still on the used marketplace in a year I might go for it🤣

On 2/7/2022 at 12:35 PM, wheezyalien said:

Not the prettiest car around, but I'm proud of it. Apart from the tint, wheels, and lights, I haven't done much to it (yet)

I'd still love a Vic someday, even if they are slow as sin

Or it's cooler competition from GM but man them Caprices are hard to come by, and will cost ya a lot more than a halfway sorted Vic

kevin-sullivans-chevy-caprice-ppv-lsx-9c1-photos-by-gconnoyer-photography_100473348.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

20220111_174204.thumb.jpg.8109d5ac8b44a95021d3d46a02021b64.jpg

Newest member of the collection. Perhaps getting to see the road again soon with the smell of rain on the horizon.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

On 2/11/2022 at 3:21 AM, MultiGamerClub said:

What are you looking at here?

This is an engine with the oil pan removed. Found this online, it’s not mine. But that’s a solid lump of oil

Should I drive to Lake Tahoe in June (30 hours 1-way, 2067 miles) or should I fly? 

only states I haven’t driven through along the way is Arizona and Nevada. Never actually been to the desert here in the states. 

Would be in the Touareg of course. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Should I drive to Lake Tahoe in June (30 hours 1-way, 2067 miles) or should I fly? 

only states I haven’t driven through along the way is Arizona and Nevada. Never actually been to the desert here in the states. 

Maybe I'll be up there in June, who knows 😛

It's not as long a drive for me as it is for you. 😉

chrome_akI9WuReDK.png

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

I'd probably fly, lot of boring states in between you and Lake Tahoe lmao

18 hours ago, Bitter said:

Just a little kiss.

Valves clearing carbon buildup, now that's efficiency!

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Valves clearing carbon buildup, now that's efficiency!

Well I cleaned #1 out because I wasn't sure it made piston to valve contact. Good to know my new borescope works so nicely.

I bought my first one years ago to prove to my boss that I was right about something he doubted me on. It's really paid off sense then saving time and allowing diagnosis that would have otherwise been a guess or horribly time consuming.

It’s dark out but I got some new tires today. Used a mobile tire guy, he’s newish here we’ve never had a service like that in my town.

dude shows up in a van in the parking lot at work that’s like completely decked out with nice stuff, everything was super organized, wish I had took a picture.

mounted and balanced and all done in about an hour. Everything looked good. 

he cost a little more but I didn’t have to figure out rides to work or rent a car or risk my car being somewhere multiple days because everyone is super booked and busy right now here.. business is booming. 

Conti terraincontact A/T’s is what I went with. Just a mild A/T tire with good road manners, Seemed like the best choice. I always have great luck with continentals in general. 

I LOVE getting 4 new tires. Always forget how big of a difference it makes. 

E4347784-5DA5-478B-A3B0-9AEC3E19322F.jpeg

36B32260-1735-47E2-8D13-0E59B4C4D34E.jpeg

Spoiler

Both the Civic and Passport had contis on them. Hated them. Loved the conti summer tires I had on my Mazda though. Seems like their OEM spec tires are pretty trash. Put Pirellis on the Passport and its a new ride. I can't break them loose and much more quiet.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I love my DWS! I really like the PureContact LS I put on the GF's Escape. Really smooth comfy ride, pretty quiet, traction seems good too.