Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

8 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

Just a tidbit of information: psi figures don't mean anything without the compressor specs. 10psi for one turbo/super could be more power than 20psi for another.

The PSI figures mean something too me.  I didn't know what a modern turbo charged engine runs for boost.  I was just curious to see if the more modern designs were able to get a few more PSI without running into issues.  I know on 93 octane pump gas I can't push more than 18psi due to a combination of compressor inefficiency and high intake air temperature.  My motor is over 30 years old and it wouldn't take long before it came apart if I push it past 18 with the existing components. That's why I backed mine down to run at 16psi for my daily driver boost pressure.  I would figure more modern compressor designs, more efficient intercoolers and better fuel injection systems would allow for safer and higher inlet pressures.   Was just looking to see what other people have experienced with their cars if they were boosted.

Got my first update on how the trip down on my bike is going for my friend. He already broke my brand new saddlebags.... 😶

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

So my ambient air temp sensor is now hanging down infront of the intercooler. 

Going to be fun trying to finagle that back into position without taking off the front bumper. I guess if I have to remove the bumper it will give me a chance to clean the intercooler. Half tempted to remove the front mesh to expose the intercooler. 

IMG_20200415_184400.thumb.jpg.70fb8aaca9d1882953d1ea9cf092a58e.jpg

On 4/14/2020 at 11:07 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Loads came in to Sweden from Germany during the 90s, the GS500E was popular all over Europe afaik

CB500s registered as 25kw are a thing too :ph34r:

Straight 4 600s like the Bandit and the Hornet are a thing too, but I'd rather stick to a 2 cylinder.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Got my first update on how the trip down on my bike is going for my friend. He already broke my brand new saddlebags.... 😶

F

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

On 4/3/2020 at 12:16 PM, Bombastinator said:

There’s two cycle, 4 cycle (most engines), but there’s also diesel, turbines, rotary, and sterling.

if you are talking about two cycle it only takes in fuel on cycle 1 so every other cycle, and a four cycle engine only takes in fuel on cycle 3 or something.

In terms of the standard 4 cycle production engine it goes like this:

Intake, Compression, Ignition, Exhaust.

Also, more easily remembered as Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.

2 cycles combine Suck, and Squeeze into the first cycle, and Bang, and Blow into the 2nd cycle.

Effectively, a 2 stroke engine has a power stroke EVERY revolution of the engine.

A 4 stroke engine has a power stroke every OTHER revolution.

Rotary and Diesels are more fun to explain.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

ACHIEVEMENT GET!

Finished interior minus seats waiting on them to come in stock

also getting current quotes on full repaint in the next couple days. hoping its not 6k..... probably will be though

20200416_165434.thumb.jpg.68d26766f014734473a6b8fdcef1a1db.jpg

OH forgot..... the leds in the bottom are just hangin in there. ill mount those permanent in a couple days

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

3 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

ACHIEVEMENT GET!

Finished interior minus seats waiting on them to come in stock

also getting current quotes on full repaint in the next couple days. hoping its not 6k..... probably will be though

20200416_165434.thumb.jpg.68d26766f014734473a6b8fdcef1a1db.jpg

OH forgot..... the leds in the bottom are just hangin in there. ill mount those permanent in a couple days

3M dual-lock is great for mounting LED strips like those, it's what holds a road way toll device to the windshield for decade at a time! It's semi-rigid and the adhesive is tenacious, but being velcro-like you can take the strip off if you need to for working on things behind/above them.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B00JHKTDMA

One of the odd things about Minnesota is the incredible level of detail hobbyists get up to over the winter.  It’s always awesome when spring comes and the shiny elegant and imacculate  classic cars bloom on the roadways.  It happens with a lot of stuff too.  Cosplay is one. (Yes, I’m that kind of dork.  I’ll even mention armoring because it happens there too)  Knitting, seed art, all kinds of stuff.  

There’s going to be some pretty pretty things at the end of this.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

One of the odd things about Minnesota is the incredible level of detail hobbyists get up to over the winter.  It’s always awesome when spring comes and the shiny elegant and imacculate  classic cars bloom on the roadways.  It happens with a lot of stuff too.  Cosplay is one. (Yes, I’m that kind of dork.  I’ll even mention armoring because it happens there too)  Knitting, seed art, all kinds of stuff.  

There’s going to be some pretty pretty things at the end of this.

Not a 'sotan but I'm gonna get some black stuff for my black car and make it extra black lol. Turtlewax Hybrid Solutions has a black polish with acrylic fillers and a black sealer with ceramic I want to try them both. It's a pretty mild polish so it won't eat my 20yr old paint.

I've been working on a few rally in car videos lately.  If you are interested in rally check them out, they're something I enjoy working on after the rallies are complete. It gives me a chance to get in some video editing practice, although it is pretty tricky to come out with any reasonable video while you're focused on co-driving.

The latest video I put together is this one.  I'm co-driving in a Mini Cooper S.

https://youtu.be/5QcJKfQLrvs

8 hours ago, timdine said:

I've been working on a few rally in car videos lately.  If you are interested in rally check them out, they're something I enjoy working on after the rallies are complete. It gives me a chance to get in some video editing practice, although it is pretty tricky to come out with any reasonable video while you're focused on co-driving.

The latest video I put together is this one.  I'm co-driving in a Mini Cooper S.

Holy, that's some coarse gravel... And I can't say I've seen anyone else rally an R53 Cooper S, pretty cool :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

10 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Holy, that's some coarse gravel... And I can't say I've seen anyone else rally an R53 Cooper S, pretty cool :D

They rally pretty good I understand.  Light car, good suspension, powerful engine.  The mini copper ruled dual solo for a while.  I don’t know if the 53 is the turbo or the older supercharged version.  The supercharger did well but wore fast.  It was common for people that raced them to have one or two spare super chargers just lying around because they had to be replaced with some frequency.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

They rally pretty good I understand.  Light car, good suspension, powerful engine.  The mini copper ruled dual solo for a while.  I don’t know if the 53 is the turbo or the older supercharged version.  The supercharger did well but wore fast.  It was common for people that raced them to have one or two spare super chargers just lying around because they had to be replaced with some frequency.

R53s are supercharged

R56 are 1.6 turbo

F56 are 2L turbo

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

11 hours ago, timdine said:

Long version

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

R53s are supercharged

R56 are 1.6 turbo

F56 are 2L turbo

I actually peripherally sorta know a guy who races R53s.  His wife is friends with my sister.  It’s where I’m getting my data from.  He talked about it a bit.  The super charger has a ceramic coating on it which is supposed to wear against itself and produce what is effectively a hand fit. Apparently it keeps wearing though or something.  The machines aren’t particularly cheap to race partially because of the supercharger.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I actually peripherally sorta know a guy who races R53s.  His wife is friends with my sister.  It’s where I’m getting my data from.  He talked about it a bit.  The super charger has a ceramic coating on it which is supposed to wear against itself and produce what is effectively a hand fit. Apparently it keeps wearing though or something.  The machines aren’t particularly cheap to race partially because of the supercharger.

Yeah they arent the strongest of things, common failure point on that engine unless very well maintained.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

23 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

CB500s registered as 25kw are a thing too :ph34r:

Straight 4 600s like the Bandit and the Hornet are a thing too, but I'd rather stick to a 2 cylinder.

F

Bags are ruined, bottoms destroyed on both 😔 He said he would pay for them at least. Bike is great fun, feels like i live too close to work now almost hahaha

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Get ready to oof

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

New to LTT and was starting to dig through all the topics. It's great to see this thread and know that I'm not the only person who has multiple hobbies/passions.

I'm finishing up a full motor rebuild on my R6 and replacing the stock wire harness and ECU with a race setup. Once it's done I'll get it off to dyno tune, I should be up to around 125 HP and 45 ft*lb.

I already have Öhlins 30mm forks and a Penske triple shock, aftermarket Brembo master cylinder, and a Graves full Ti exhaust.

Pic from rain practice at Pacific Raceways turn 4 exit on September 8th last year.

Photo Courtesy of: www.whoisdane.photography/

FZ2T4018.jpg

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @4.4gHz  Custom H20 Loop - CPU & VRM pair of 360mm rads with Noctua fans  |  ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula Water cooling utilized  |  Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200CL16 4x16GB  |  EVGA RTX2080 Super FTW3  |  Seasonic Platinum 1000W  Samsung 840 250GB -  Video Processing \ Export |  Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB - Video Import \ Temp  |  Samsung 970 EVO Pro NVMe 500GB -  Boot |  2x Western Digital Blue 4TB - Storage  |  Thermaltake View 51 Snow

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

When you're 5 mins late for the meeting

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

A meeting that could have been done online

Folding@Home | BOINC

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Kph on the speedo, round red ring signs, all the trucks in the right lane, orange bar heat light barriers.  I’m guessing rural autobahn.