Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 5/26/2017 at 11:18 AM, bcredeur97 said:

I drove an NC (2012 I think) Miata today with a 6 speed manual. 

The clutch was super light and it was waaaaay easier to shift smoothly than my NB.

and also you can tell the car is bigger and heavier and it feels completely different from my NB. While the NC is a better daily for sure(MUCH more comfortable) my NB is more fun. 

@warmmilk

Yeah, I love the clutch and shifter on my car, prolly my favorite feature. Although My clutch isnt exactly stock, it's a stock clutch with all the friction materials replaced by carbon.

I've never driven the different gens Miata's back to back or anytime even remotely close, so I've never felt the heavier thing... although a tight suspension setup will do a lot to make a car feel lighter...  bigger is definitely a though though, although mine feels cramped to me cause of my seat.  I can't imaging dailying a Miata though, any gen.. when I was younger it'd prolly be fun, but now I wouldn't me able to do it...it's just way to loud and unrefined. 

Speaking of miata, finally did a track day..  sorry for horrible camera angle, I was pretty much unprepared as one could be for this particular day and really set up my phone in a rush. Also kinda pissed that I'm about 1.5 seconds slower than I was in my rsx with crappy brakes at this track

Rsx lap for reference 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

CTMP VDSF 7.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

@Maybach123 sparky and a friend are up here

Screenshot_2017-05-28-07-21-08.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Track day bro

@MEC-777

CTMP VDSF 9.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

8 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Track day bro

@MEC-777

pfft

20170527_144843.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Me rn

Screenshot_2017-05-28-08-32-25.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

Folding@Home | BOINC

4 hours ago, warmmilk said:

Yeah, I love the clutch and shifter on my car, prolly my favorite feature. Although My clutch isnt exactly stock, it's a stock clutch with all the friction materials replaced by carbon.

I've never driven the different gens Miata's back to back or anytime even remotely close, so I've never felt the heavier thing... although a tight suspension setup will do a lot to make a car feel lighter...  bigger is definitely a though though, although mine feels cramped to me cause of my seat.  I can't imaging dailying a Miata though, any gen.. when I was younger it'd prolly be fun, but now I wouldn't me able to do it...it's just way to loud and unrefined. 

Speaking of miata, finally did a track day..  sorry for horrible camera angle, I was pretty much unprepared as one could be for this particular day and really set up my phone in a rush. Also kinda pissed that I'm about 1.5 seconds slower than I was in my rsx with crappy brakes at this track

Rsx lap for reference 

-snip-

That track looks like so much fun compared to New Orleans haha!

Hmm you definitely have more grip than the RSX but the RSX was a bit faster in the straights. Do you think it's because your out of practice or that little extra power from the RSX gave you an edge?

what I don't understand is why when you're letting out the clutch is it so much easier in the NC to avoid that slight jolt... heavier flywheel perhaps? When I say my clutch is heavier too, it isn't much at all, only knew because I had driven mine (to the shop lol) the day before. But mines also about to get the excedy OE replacement clutch so that may be different or not idk)

As far as dailying a Miata goes... all I can say is you get used to it. You have to want to tho

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

49 minutes ago, sonarctica said:

Dunno how much Lexus gets love here but the new LC looks so good

Found the image on instagram: @Stickiebun

lexuslc500.jpg

this not yours i assume? but yours or not, it is seriuosly one beautiful looking car. and it's got some serious power for a grand tourer.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

On 2017-5-27 at 0:21 AM, vetali said:

Increasing speed wouldn't suddenly make everyone travel at the same speed. There may be less speeders, but there will be much more slow drivers. That is more dangerous and disrupts the flow of traffic a lot more than a speeder especially if they are camping in the left lane. 

Faster speeds mean faster g-forces. Its pretty simple. A crash that may not be fatal at 50, may be at 70. I don't really feel comfortable with a speed limit at 70 either because of people's terrible driving skill, modern distractions with infotainment and phones, and lack of road-worthiness of some vehicles on the road. 

You seem like an impatient person if you really want to arrive at your destination 5-10 minutes faster at a higher risk and increased fuel consumed. Its funny seeing people speed past me on the highway into town where I live. Because there is a stop light right when you hit town thats red for about 1.5-3 minutes. A lot of the time I meet the person that sped past me at that light. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside when I smile at them. 

Before we discuss further, let's make sure we're on the same page. I'm in Canada and we go by kph, not mph. So when i say 20 over, I mean 100kph in an 80kph zone, for example. 80 is 50mph and 100 is 62mph. 20 over is the equivalent of 12 over in your country. ;) 

Saying there would be more slow drivers after increasing the limit doesn't makes sense. Care to explain? IMO it would create a more unified flow because those who like to "stick to the limit" would now be travelling more closely to the same speed as everyone else who were already used to travelling +20 over the old limit on that particular road. 

Distracted driving is an entirely different issue altogether. The entire population should not have to be slowed down because a few people can't keep their eyes on the road. Yes, a crash at higher speed is more lethal, HOWEVER, I still claim we would see a significant reduction in accidents because you will have more patient drivers in a better mood (not being held up by "limit sitters") and traffic will be flowing together at a more consistent speed. Like I said before and like you said, having traffic flowing at different speeds on the same road is more dangerous as it disrupts the flow. You said it yourself. If there's less disruptions, there will be fewer accidents and less road rage. 

I'm not inpatient at all. Certainly far more patient than my wife is while driving. :P The simple fact is; some roads have unreasonable low limits and I would say the majority of drivers are totally comfortable driving a bit faster on these particular roads. It's the combination of that plus the fact that the limits are inconsistently and arbitrarily enforced that, IMO, cause a lot of problems we see on the road today.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

And we've landed here, again.

Something that annoys me is when there's basically no traffic and I'm doing the limit (because hey guess what, it's still the limit and when you learn to drive in totalitarian places when you can be jailed for fun for doing 1 over, you do the limit) it's a bit fucking irritating when people tailgate or fly past you and cut back in your lane because they're beyond impatient.

Guess what, I am the flow of traffic.

@MEC-777 the only reason I haven't disagreed with you is because from what it sounds like you guy's speed limits are lower than our typical limits in similar situations. 

But it then I also kinda agree with the fact that getting traffic moving will help keep the impatient happier and result in a better road situation overall. 

The problem of people not knowing to stay out of the leftmost lane is still a problem though. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

When I get the f350 should I re-gear the differentials? Its going to have 4.10 gears, which is going to put 70 mph at 2,300 to 2,400 rpm, whereas with 3.73 will put 70 at 2,000 which will save on fuel unloaded a fair bit. 

According to people on the psd forum anyway. I'm gonna look around a little bit more. 

I'd say fuel usage wouldn't change as much as towing performance would.

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

When I get the f350 should I re-gear the differentials? Its going to have 4.10 gears, which is going to put 70 mph at 2,300 to 2,400 rpm, whereas with 3.73 will put 70 at 2,000 which will save on fuel unloaded a fair bit. 

According to people on the psd forum anyway. I'm gonna look around a little bit more. 

I say ~4.5 gearing

Spoiler

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

That's my main worry. Oh well. They put 4:10s in the duallys for a reason. :/ 

I'd leave it and see. Probably wouldn't drop gearing though, especially with a 6.0.

C

DSC09403.JPG

DSC09428.JPG

DSC09431.JPG

DSC09457.JPG

Folding@Home | BOINC

Just now, chaozbandit said:

C

DSC09428.JPG

change subaru to a jetta and thats how i do the turns in iracing xD 

seriously .. i have seen me race ... i legit go on 2 wheels and sometimes even slide trough some turns xD 

depends on the track though

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

5 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@Maybach123 sparky and a friend are up here

4 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

That is actually sparky's house.  Toronto exotic car spotting and zachbrehl  must have went down to CT to see "kingtasma". There are 3 BC's in CT right now O.o (sparky's gregb's and Benny Caiola son's)

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

27 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

change subaru to a jetta and thats how i do the turns in iracing xD 

seriously .. i have seen me race ... i legit go on 2 wheels and sometimes even slide trough some turns xD 

depends on the track though

You mean all four wheels are suppposed to be on the ground in turns? Where have these rules been all my life?

I see this car everyday at work and can't figure out if it's lowered or not. Help. 

20170528_123947.jpg

20170528_123957.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

6 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I see this car everyday at work and can't figure out if it's lowered or not. Help. 

Think thats standard

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h