Monitor for gaming(doesn't have to be "gaming monitor" :D)

chos5555

Hello guys and girls,

Lately I discovered that my old(I mean OLD :D) monitor isn't enough for me... So I'm here for your opinion. I would like a monitor that is at least 1080p(I'd like 1440p the best), has pretty good colour accuracy(doesn't have to be the most superb, but I should be good), 5 or less ms of response time, it doesn't really matter which type of monitor it is... I mean IPS,TN, LCD,... anything. I will use it mainly for gaming, the low response time for that :D, I'm considering doing some light video editing, but I'll see how things go. If you need more info just let me know down below, I'll answer to you back as soon as possible. Thanks in advance to anyone that comments.

EDIT: I could not find the BenQ XL2420 T/TE or anything from the 2420 line in my country(Czech Republic) yet :(

Stop looking at response time, that number is meaningless.

You will want an IPS, and IPS monitors tend to have higher response times, but like I said ignore that number.

Error: 410

^What @helping said.

Where are you shopping?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There are two factors for speed. Response time and input lag. IPS panels (I believe) have slightly more input lag than TN panel monitors. This is only going to come into effect if you are hardcore on fps games and you want the BIGGEST advantage possible. If this isn't you, get an IPS monitor. The colours are worth it. Don't worry too much about response times.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

If you want a 1440p screen keep in mind that game performance WILL suffer compared to 1080p so you better have some hardware backing you up. You can also get a 1920x1200 screen which is a pretty popular screen size.

If you're willing to spend a little money on the screen, I can recommend the dell ultrasharp U2412M, which is an excellent IPS screen that doesn't cost quite as much as those large 1440p 27 inch screens. If you want one of those anyway, then I would suggest looking up the 27inch variant of that series, the Ultrasharps are all great quality.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

^What @helping said.

Where are you shopping?

Hmmm... I don't think I can say that directly cause there exists few sites that just compare the prices and I use that... Cause I want to find the cheapest(but reliable) shop... The site is called www.heureka.cz

You will want an IPS, and IPS monitors tend to have higher response times, but like I said ignore that number.

There are two factors for speed. Response time and input lag. IPS panels (I believe) have slightly more input lag than TN panel monitors. This is only going to come into effect if you are hardcore on fps games and you want the BIGGEST advantage possible. If this isn't you, get an IPS monitor. The colours are worth it. Don't worry too much about response times.

Can you guys please recommend a IPS?

If you want a 1440p screen keep in mind that game performance WILL suffer compared to 1080p so you better have some hardware backing you up. You can also get a 1920x1200 screen which is a pretty popular screen size.

If you're willing to spend a little money on the screen, I can recommend the dell ultrasharp U2412M, which is an excellent IPS screen that doesn't cost quite as much as those large 1440p 27 inch screens. If you want one of those anyway, then I would suggest looking up the 27inch variant of that series, the Ultrasharps are all great quality.

When it comes to hardware I have i5-4670k, GTX 780 and will be adding another 780 after buying the monitor, so I don't think horsepower to run games in 1440p ain't a problem :D

Hmmm... I don't think I can say that directly cause there exists few sites that just compare the prices and I use that... Cause I want to find the cheapest(but reliable) shop... The site is called www.heureka.cz

http://lcd-monitory.heureka.cz/lg-ips224v/

Edit: Actually, if you're getting 2 780's definitely get a 1440p panel: http://lcd-monitory.heureka.cz/acer-b276hu/

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

When it comes to hardware I have i5-4670k, GTX 780 and will be adding another 780 after buying the monitor, so I don't think horsepower to run games in 1440p ain't a problem :D

In that case! http://lcd-monitory.heureka.cz/dell-u2713hm/

Try and find one of those near you. It aint cheap at that resolution but it is a very good IPS screen.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

http://lcd-monitory.heureka.cz/lg-ips224v/

Edit: Actually, if you're getting 2 780's definitely get a 1440p panel: http://lcd-monitory.heureka.cz/acer-b276hu/

Try and find one of those near you. It aint cheap at that resolution but it is a very good IPS screen.

Ooooh I like both of those :D:D, I have to money to buy any one of these but i wasn't expecting it that expensive :D

Ooooh I like both of those :D:D, I have to money to buy any one of these but i wasn't expecting it that expensive :D

You're blowing a good amount of money on 2 780's. Don't tell me you were expecting to game off of a torn off gameboy display.

Oh lolz I just found that shop that is 200 meters away from my house has it in stock, so I could, so I could get it in 10 minutes :D:D

Can you guys please recommend a IPS?

Budget? Screen size? You can't go wrong with a Dell ultrasharp

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Yeah those big panels are pricey :P

Both of those are great, but I'll let Linus' personal god speak for my pick http://www.anandtech.com/show/6308/dell-u2713hm-unbeatable-performance-out-of-the-box

:D

You're blowing a good amount of money on 2 780's. Don't tell me you were expecting to game off of a torn off gameboy display.

I of course wa expecting big money :D, but I thought about 500 dollars, so it is not really that far from it now I think of it :D

Oh lolz I just found that shop that is 200 meters away from my house has it in stock, so I could, so I could get it in 10 minutes :D:D

Do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit o3o

And report back on the awesome!

Budget? Screen size? You can't go wrong with a Dell ultrasharp

Budget? Ahhh about 700 dollars max, screen size? Doesn't pretty much matter... 24,27 inches would be the perfect spot.

Go now. I'm timing you.

e75f9b4de54bb4d2605168310291146f.png

Budget? Ahhh about 700 dollars max, screen size? Doesn't pretty much matter... 24,27 inches would be the perfect spot.

PB278Q is a fantastic monitor. 27", 1440p abd a good solid build. It isn' the best monitor for fps games though. I generally do all my fps gaming on a crappy 22" 1080p monitor (bought cheap second hand so I overclocked it to 72Hz). I think this is the best of both worlds because the PB278Q is a super nice quality monitor.

The response time is meaningless, but he will not want an IPS monitor.  IPS monitors (especially 1440p ones) have significant input lag that make them awful gaming monitors.  Also, it's the refresh rate that's important for gaming, not the response time.  If a monitor is 60hz, that means a delay of 16ms between each frame.  A 120hz monitor is 8ms delay, and 144hz is slightly less than that.  The two best things for gaming performance are:

1) 120-144hz on a panel with no input lag.  If you have input/processing lag you're essentially adding a 20-30ms delay to everything appearing on your screen.  It's not terrible for single player games, but if you play online multiplayer games it's horrible.

2) Lightboost.  LCD monitors have a permanance issue where each frame stays on the screen until it's replaced, CRT monitors project and each frame are only displayed for a moment.  This results in motion blur on LCD monitors, it's what make LCD TVs awful at games and sports, they can't keep up with even a slow framerate (most broadcast shows are 30fps).  If you have lightboost, the monitor will flash the backlight approximately 1.3ms after each frame...clearing the screen and resulting is virutally *zero* motion blur. 

If you get a 1440p monitor and intend to game your only option are single input, bypass board Korean panel monitors like the QNIX QX2710, the XSTAR DP2710, the Yamasaki Catleap 2b and the Overlord TempestOC.  If you get a 1080p monitor make sure it's 144hz and lightboost.  The two best are the BenQ XL2420TE and the Asus VG248QE.  All of these monitors are under $4-500 USD except the Yamasaki.  I personally have an XSTAR 1440p monitor overclocked to 110hz with no input lag and it's amazing, if it had lightboost it would be the perfect gaming monitor.

The response time is meaningless, but he will not want an IPS monitor.  IPS monitors (especially 1440p ones) have significant input lag that make them awful gaming monitors.  Also, it's the refresh rate that's important for gaming, not the response time.  If a monitor is 60hz, that means a delay of 16ms between each frame.  A 120hz monitor is 8ms delay, and 144hz is slightly less than that.  The two best things for gaming performance are:

1) 120-144hz on a panel with no input lag.  If you have input/processing lag you're essentially adding a 20-30ms delay to everything appearing on your screen.  It's not terrible for single player games, but if you play online multiplayer games it's horrible.

2) Lightboost.  LCD monitors have a permanance issue where each frame stays on the screen until it's replaced, CRT monitors project and each frame are only displayed for a moment.  This results in motion blur on LCD monitors, it's what make LCD TVs awful at games and sports, they can't keep up with even a slow framerate (most broadcast shows are 30fps).  If you have lightboost, the monitor will flash the backlight approximately 1.3ms after each frame...clearing the screen and resulting is virutally *zero* motion blur. 

If you get a 1440p monitor and intend to game your only option are single input, bypass board Korean panel monitors like the QNIX QX2710, the XSTAR DP2710, the Yamasaki Catleap 2b and the Overlord TempestOC.  If you get a 1080p monitor make sure it's 144hz and lightboost.  The two best are the BenQ XL2420TE and the Asus VG248QE.  All of these monitors are under $4-500 USD except the Yamasaki.  I personally have an XSTAR 1440p monitor overclocked to 110hz with no input lag and it's amazing, if it had lightboost it would be the perfect gaming monitor.

You're not wrong, but don't take offense when I refute your argument with a single line that,

he's not looking for a "gaming" monitor, the benefits of an IPS panel will more than likely outweigh the cons. 

Error: 410

IF he was looking to play Couinter Strike on a tournament level I would agree with you.

For 99% of everyone else, IPS panels are plenty fast.

I have always leaned toward performance, not so much on color accuracy but I do use calibration tools to get close. I am competitive when I game. Whether in BF4 or next to my brother on NBA2K.

Look at it this way. Everyone recommends IPS, but I bet...if any of them have an HDTV, it's a LED, even though plasmas have better color, motion, blacks, response and extremely low latency(.001ms).

There is a balance between panel types, but because of everything else on the market, we are forced to pick a side and be fanboys. We are told that one product is way better that another, can't even come close...from both sides. Whether it's cars, politics, electronics, religion, OSes; we are constantly being divided. There are too many "one vs another" and very few free market choices.

And now panel types...

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013