i7 8700k odd behavior.

Go to solution Solved by Kaidesa,

Okay, so with the new cooler AND the new CPU, I'm currently sitting at a stable (so far after four hours of non-stop stress testing)  5.0Ghz at 1.38V.  I'm going to likely reduce it to 4.9 at 1.32v and keep it there, since the temps were around the 80s, and they're currently in the mid 90s at 5.0, but it looks like I was right.  A combination of a crappy CPU and a sub-par CPU cooler.

I did try running the previous CPU with these settings and it just nope'd out almost immediately.  So I think I'm quite happy with things as they are.  And now I can sleep now that I have a working computer again.  Oh, wait.  No, I can't.  I'm behind five videos.  x.x

So, I recently decided since my X99 5820k bit the dust, that it was time for a slight upgrade.  It isn't much, but I decided to hop to the Z370 platform and grab myself an i7-8700k.  Now, I know these things are typically hot, so I didn't think much when I saw it sitting at 50 degrees when idle.  And then I realized that nobody else was reporting said numbers.

Motherboard:  Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5

Processor:  i7 8700k

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 2x8 GB (16GB total) G.Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200Mhz

M.2 SSD:  Samsung 960 Pro - 512GB

CPU Cooler:  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Pro 240mm

On stock settings, with MCE disabled, I was idling at 40-50 degrees.  CPU was exceptionally unstable with MCE on, unless I increased the CPU voltage to 1.28v.  I'm currently running stock settings with MCE _OFF_, and am hitting single core turbo speeds of 4.7, as advertised, but regularly hit 90 degrees when doing so.  At first I thought it may be a cooler issue, but the loop was moved from one PC to another, and thermal paste was properly cleaned, removed and reapplied.  I've tried reseating it multiple times, as well as reapplying different types of thermal paste I have laying around.  No go.

I tried a mild overclock despite the temps of an all core 4.5 Ghz at 1.30v, which I know is quite insane on the voltage... but I couldn't manage to get it stable under that. It pretty much pegged 100 degrees the second testing began.  I know these things run hot, but this is ridiculous.  Is this even normal?

Also worth mentioning, this is a replacement power supply as my previous AX1200 (not i) decided to go homicidal on all my X99 stuff.  It literally fried the RAM, processor AND motherboard.  Talk about crap luck.

In a stable configuration, this is what I am getting in OCCT reporting:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApZn2e3A5zhUgexAg4A0fhgsNU7gwQ

Any suggestions?  Does it look like the replacement power supply could be bad?  did I just have the worst luck ever in the silicon lottery draw?  I may know things about components and all, but my knowledge of reading and diagnosing things based on voltages and whatnot?  Slim to none.  Interested to get some responses.

MCE off seems to be a good start. The temps you report are rather on the hot side. I don't see what you are doing "wrong" so it might indeed be bad luck in the lottery. If you are not scared by it: delidd the sucker.

2 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

How's the liquid in the AIO? Is it running low? 

AIO liquid levels are just fine.  It was a recent purchase, so I doubt it would be low.

Rma that shit man 

just say it's hittin 100c at stock 

or u can delid it

its only hitting that high becuase of the gap the silicon creates 

the chip its self after delid is better than ryzen clock for clock in temps 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Delid it... If you are brave enough !

If that doesn't fix it and you are already using a top notch thermal compound(probably mx4), then my friend, you are a victim of a bad silicon lottery. I don't see the PSU as an issue.

At those temperatures, overclocking is a pretty BAD idea. Intel never guaranteed you a high overclock, K series has always been a gamble.

3 hours ago, Kaidesa said:

So, I recently decided since my X99 5820k bit the dust, that it was time for a slight upgrade.  It isn't much, but I decided to hop to the Z370 platform and grab myself an i7-8700k.  Now, I know these things are typically hot, so I didn't think much when I saw it sitting at 50 degrees when idle.  And then I realized that nobody else was reporting said numbers.

On stock settings, with MCE disabled, I was idling at 40-50 degrees.  CPU was exceptionally unstable with MCE on, unless I increased the CPU voltage to 1.28v.  I'm currently running stock settings with MCE _OFF_, and am hitting single core turbo speeds of 4.7, as advertised, but regularly hit 90 degrees when doing so.  At first I thought it may be a cooler issue, but the loop was moved from one PC to another, and thermal paste was properly cleaned, removed and reapplied.  I've tried reseating it multiple times, as well as reapplying different types of thermal paste I have laying around.  No go.

I tried a mild overclock despite the temps of an all core 4.5 Ghz at 1.30v, which I know is quite insane on the voltage... but I couldn't manage to get it stable under that. It pretty much pegged 100 degrees the second testing began.  I know these things run hot, but this is ridiculous.  Is this even normal?

Also worth mentioning, this is a replacement power supply as my previous AX1200 (not i) decided to go homicidal on all my X99 stuff.  It literally fried the RAM, processor AND motherboard.  Talk about crap luck.

Any suggestions?  Does it look like the replacement power supply could be bad?  did I just have the worst luck ever in the silicon lottery draw?  I may know things about components and all, but my knowledge of reading and diagnosing things based on voltages and whatnot?  Slim to none.  Interested to get some responses.

I would personally just request an advanced RMA with intel and get your new CPU in about 3-4 days. It seems you just have a incredibly bad sample. Since the chip is brand new I wouldn't recommend delidding it since it IS a pretty bad sample. If you purchased at microcenter they can do a direct swap for a new one.

3 hours ago, Kaidesa said:

Assuming that everything is mounted properly and has proper application of thermal paste (please check this), I would personally return it. 50c idle is not the end of the world, but I think it's better to be 100% happy with your new build, no? ;)

15 hours ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Assuming that everything is mounted properly and has proper application of thermal paste (please check this), I would personally return it. 50c idle is not the end of the world, but I think it's better to be 100% happy with your new build, no? ;)

Yeah, definitely applied thermal paste properly.  I even tried silly things like dotting the processor everywhere.  Short of drowning the thing and not using enough, I tried just about every application with varying different types of thermal paste.  Arctic Silver 5, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut... was even tempted to just shove some Conductonaut between the IHS and the cooler, until I remembered that the AIO was aluminum.

I have no idea why I have the Conductonaut, honestly.  My plans were to eventually delid the thing, but I'm deathly afraid of it.  My boyfriend offered to do it for me, but knowing his clumsy ass he'd ruin it far before I had the opportunity to do it myself.  I may just send it into SiliconLottery.com or something at some point to have them do it for me... if I determine that the CPU here wasn't the problem, that's likely exactly what I'll do.

Really not sure what else to think.  People seem to believe the OCCT results I posted earlier seem normal from the power supply's end.  But it wouldn't be the first time I had a power supply mess things up.  Everything else has been replaced, pretty much, so I'm at a loss.

First off, don't delid. That's a viable option in the future (use a Rocket88 tool), but right now you need to figure out why it's messed up at stock speeds. I've got some questions though.

1. Did you definitely remove the sticker from the bottom of the cooling block? It happens. 
  2. Do you have another cooler around that you can try? Even a stock cooler. 
  3. Can you borrow another CPU to test with? 
  4. Are ALL the fans spinning? 
  5. What temps are reported from within the BIOS after it's been turned off for a few minutes? 
  6. Are any other components excessively hot? 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

50 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

First off, don't delid. That's a viable option in the future (use a Rocket88 tool), but right now you need to figure out why it's messed up at stock speeds. I've got some questions though.

1. Did you definitely remove the sticker from the bottom of the cooling block? It happens. 
  2. Do you have another cooler around that you can try? Even a stock cooler. 
  3. Can you borrow another CPU to test with? 
  4. Are ALL the fans spinning? 
  5. What temps are reported from within the BIOS after it's been turned off for a few minutes? 
  6. Are any other components excessively hot? 
  1. Hehe.  Yes, I'm pretty sure I did.  I know a few people who have done the same thing before, so a good question to ask.
  2. Unfortunately, no.  I do have another one on the way, regardless.  Felt like getting an NZXT to match the case I chose, so I can swap them out.  Don't think it's bad, though.
  3. Unfortunately, no.  I did order a replacement to test for tomorrow.  I was told I can return it no questions asked if it isn't needed.
  4. Yes, all the fans are working.  Even manually set them and the AIO pump to full speed just to be sure.
  5. BIOS also reports ~50 degrees idle.  Starts at 30 and climbs there not-so-slowly.
  6. Not excessively hot, no.  GPU (1080Ti) gets pretty toasty during full synthetic loads (~70) with fans at 50% but quickly drops to 30 degrees or so when idle with the fans off.

6 hours ago, Kaidesa said:

Yeah, definitely applied thermal paste properly.  I even tried silly things like dotting the processor everywhere.  Short of drowning the thing and not using enough, I tried just about every application with varying different types of thermal paste.  Arctic Silver 5, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut... was even tempted to just shove some Conductonaut between the IHS and the cooler, until I remembered that the AIO was aluminum.

I have no idea why I have the Conductonaut, honestly.  My plans were to eventually delid the thing, but I'm deathly afraid of it.  My boyfriend offered to do it for me, but knowing his clumsy ass he'd ruin it far before I had the opportunity to do it myself.  I may just send it into SiliconLottery.com or something at some point to have them do it for me... if I determine that the CPU here wasn't the problem, that's likely exactly what I'll do.

Really not sure what else to think.  People seem to believe the OCCT results I posted earlier seem normal from the power supply's end.  But it wouldn't be the first time I had a power supply mess things up.  Everything else has been replaced, pretty much, so I'm at a loss.

I completely understand the whole reservations about the delidding. Ultimately, there are isn't any concrete documentation of how long and how well the liquid metal holds up inside of the chip. Gallium WILL have a chemical reaction with the Nickel and may even appear to "dry-out". There are plenty of horror stories so I just decided to skip that whole process. I would definitely consider returning it, especially if everything else is running fine. Intel's support team is generally really good, but if the chip is new, you can just return it to the vendor too!

:)

try another cpu cooler please

and make sure your pump is running in bios at the specs it should be at

I know few people that dropped that cpu cooler they been on sale for 50ish dollars many times a

8 hours ago, Kaidesa said:
  1. Hehe.  Yes, I'm pretty sure I did.  I know a few people who have done the same thing before, so a good question to ask.
  2. Unfortunately, no.  I do have another one on the way, regardless.  Felt like getting an NZXT to match the case I chose, so I can swap them out.  Don't think it's bad, though.
  3. Unfortunately, no.  I did order a replacement to test for tomorrow.  I was told I can return it no questions asked if it isn't needed.
  4. Yes, all the fans are working.  Even manually set them and the AIO pump to full speed just to be sure.
  5. BIOS also reports ~50 degrees idle.  Starts at 30 and climbs there not-so-slowly.
  6. Not excessively hot, no.  GPU (1080Ti) gets pretty toasty during full synthetic loads (~70) with fans at 50% but quickly drops to 30 degrees or so when idle with the fans off.

The culprit is still probably the cooler. At some point it's probably failing to transfer heat properly. 

The reason I'm strongly advising against delidding right now is because we can't completely rule out the CPU. It's the least likely culprit, but it's still a bad time to void your warranty. Tag me when you get your first replacement and we'll work for there. 

Just a heads up, if you buy a replacement part to test with in the future, get it from a local store. That way you can return it without having to pay shipping. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Well, I just got my replacement parts in.  Seems like I was, in fact, getting hit from two different angles here.

The cooler seemed to be a bit sub-par for the job.  It kept my 5820k nice and cool when overclocked when I still had it, so it DOES work.  I tossed it into another machine and it worked just perfectly to keep IT cool as well.  But the NZXT cooler is keeping the 8700k nice and happy where the CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Pro was not.

That said, the other problem was indeed the processor.  Where 90% of the results I heard stated that an undervolted stock setting can be run stable at 1.12v or around there, the CPU I had managed to require 1.26v to even run at stock with MCE off.

Going to run some tests on the replacement processor and post back here to see if it was the processor itself, or if there may be some other issues.  Maybe with the board or the power supply.  Dunno.  Hoping this dissolves my woes, though.

Okay, so with the new cooler AND the new CPU, I'm currently sitting at a stable (so far after four hours of non-stop stress testing)  5.0Ghz at 1.38V.  I'm going to likely reduce it to 4.9 at 1.32v and keep it there, since the temps were around the 80s, and they're currently in the mid 90s at 5.0, but it looks like I was right.  A combination of a crappy CPU and a sub-par CPU cooler.

I did try running the previous CPU with these settings and it just nope'd out almost immediately.  So I think I'm quite happy with things as they are.  And now I can sleep now that I have a working computer again.  Oh, wait.  No, I can't.  I'm behind five videos.  x.x