1 Year Airflow Experiment - The Stunning Conclusion

jakkuh_t

Our 1 year airflow experiment FINALLY comes to it's stunning conclusion - this stuff, it's dusty.

Buy Fans:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/UM1lo
On Newegg: http://geni.us/CSFr6

Buy Fan Filters:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/K1edNcP
On Newegg: http://geni.us/MgVsl

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Unlisted

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

Most had about the same dust, but some layouts prevent dust on one or two components. The all in protected the PSU, the balanced protected the GPU. But a good view of what the filters did, and they make a massive difference! :)

"1 year"

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

So...

Unfiltered fans draw in more dust and more airflow = more dust..

Go figure :P

I mean, ok cool, nice vid, nice little experiement, but i highley doubt any1 is daft enough to not already know this was going to be the result :P

That being said.

i think a better expeirment should have involved a custom water loop, or at the very least 2 AIO's (1 for CPu 1 for GPU) , both 240 rads.

Why?

To test both Dust AND Heat.

If one has a good OC going, then the air coming of a radiator will be warm.

So if one was to run a 'balanced' airflow system, they will essentialy be pulling hot air from atleast 1 rad. This could have a detrimental affect on the other rad if that rad i pushing hot air out of the system throug the rad which is meant to be cooling.

Another option, if both rads are pulling fresh cool air in from outside, they then pump hot air into the case, dramaticaly increasing internal case temperature, but are filtered from dust.

Alternativly, if both rads are pulling air from within the case, then they get reativly cool air but create negative pressure inside, causing possible dust buildup issues on the rads which then could lower cooling potential.

IMO the above would have been a far more interesting 1 year long teest, to record both dust build up and temperatures over time as the dust buildup affect radiator performance diferently on each setup.

I personaly run a custom water loop and have a full negative airflow setup.  Initaly had a balanced setup with front rad intake and top and rear rad as exhaust, but that had poorer cooling potential and caused internal case temperature to rise. As soon as i switched the front rad to also exhaust i had better temperatures from both cooling and internal case temps.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Should've just thrown away that entire experiment out. The cases aren't even in the proper configuration and unbalanced.

Out: All open holes had fans blowing out.

In: Most of the  intake has no filter, completely defeating the purpose.

Balanced: There is a huge gaping hole in the top for dust to just rain in regardless of airflow.

If there's one thing I want to see, it's more CFD simulations like this:

CFD_IsoSkin_Heat_Pipe.gif

Mostly just to get the theoretical and expected out of the way

Not that I'm asking LTT to do it, but I'd rather take theory and simulation data to form a hypothesis, then work it out.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If there's one thing I want to see, it's more CFD simulations like this:

CFD_IsoSkin_Heat_Pipe.gif

Mostly just to get the theoretical and expected out of the way

Not that I'm asking LTT to do it, but I'd rather take theory and simulation data to form a hypothesis, then work it out.

That's a good idea. :)

just looking at all that dust gave me allergies

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

How people get their systems all gross? Easy. Grease. If you have your computer near your kitchen for example or if you live in a smokey environment, you can really tell the difference. The dust isn't going to be thin layer like that, it's going to be this sticky mess. 

Spoiler

smoke03-720.jpg.0a35ae3d62db81906288e35b73a86e7d.jpg

I had a relative who kept her computer in the kitchen and every year I worked on it, it would look like above. She wasn't a smoker.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Ohhh I <3'd waiting for this video!

Worth it :)

I actually found it quite interesting, I'd say thanks for doing this very scientific experiment for us!

However, maybe next time get it on a room.

I can tel from experience bed sheets & clothes do not help, it isn't construction zone level dust .. but there is more dust then i.e. a dedicated gaming room.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

1 hour ago, fahim05 said:

What's the case model? 

Fractal design R5 Tempered Glass

Sorry for the double post, just thought I'd answer this lad ;)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

at least two of the computers used different fans which could effect result with different RPM of the fans 

12 hours ago, Tim_S said:

What was the case they used?

See below:

On 2/28/2018 at 2:47 PM, Sfekke said:

Fractal design R5 Tempered Glass

TRS-80 Color Computer, 32k, External Storage: Cassette Interface, Modem: 9800 Baud Dial Up, Printer: DMP-100 Dot Matrix. Upgrading to a floppy drive soon!

@ILFE

Thanks for quoting my post :D

People should read trough the thread a little more IMHO, like .. :P

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

4 hours ago, Sfekke said:

@ILFE

Thanks for quoting my post :D

People should read trough the thread a little more IMHO, like .. :P

Well, I am sure I have been guilty of doing the same thing, especially in a thread with a number of replies. Maybe ol' Tim was just readin' too fast through the thread? Or, maybe he was late for a date? B|

TRS-80 Color Computer, 32k, External Storage: Cassette Interface, Modem: 9800 Baud Dial Up, Printer: DMP-100 Dot Matrix. Upgrading to a floppy drive soon!