Need a smart lock for the house

CapitalistVN

Does any of you guys are using a smart lock for your house? If so, which one are you using? And can you guys give me a suggestion for a good smart lock. I need to have fingerprints and a number passcode. Price is not an issue. Every suggestions/comments are much appreciated!

Unless it has recently changed, I decided against a fingerprint lock last year when I was looking for a new one as the ones I tried were a PITA to use. Its not like a modern smartphone where you just tap it and it unlocks. You had to tap it several times, have your finger held just right while standing on one foot, and tapping your head with your other hand and if it is your lucky day it might unlock on the 10th try.

If you still want one, I do remember the best reviews I found were from Ultraloq, but I never did actually try one out. Ended up going with Schlage Connect, no fingerprint, but they are extremely reliable and the smart portion of them works with most smart home hubs rather than being bluetooth just to a phone app. We have about a dozen of the old style non-smart Schalge locks on some of our shop doors, three of which are nearly 10 years old and still work great. Batteries on the old style would last a year to two years, not quite sure on the new one, but its nearly a year old and still on the original battery. One of the units did fail a couple years in, walked into Home Depot with the receipt and they handed me a new one. I was chatting with the guy for a bit how well they have held up, other than one that gets used a ton and the finish wore off around the handle... he said bring it in and they will exchange it for free as well so I did.

The only thing I don't like about the Schalge Connect is the "touchscreen" for the numberpad, having actual buttons was so much nicer to use and you didn't need to look at the lock when unlocking it. This is where fingerprint scanning would be extremely nice if it has caught up to the reliability of modern smartphones.

If you want the ultimate in convenience since price isn't an issue, its about $3000 per door to get a nice motorized latch release lock with RFID control installed and wired. They are freaking awesome and will be one of the first projects I do when I finish my house remodel. You can DIY it for around $500 if you are comfortable tearing into your walls. I'm planning on doing a wall mounted reader/numpad as well as a reader in the ground so I can just embed RFID tags in all my shoes and it will unlock when I walk up to it.

Just a note If you live a place where it's gets really cold, like -20 c for example, at least some smart locks can stop working that temperature. Especially if it isn't mounted perfectly. I don't think it's a problem with all smart locks just some?

If not then that isn't something you have to think about.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking