Cryorig h5 universal i7 8700k

gazdadude
1 minute ago, gazdadude said:

Is the cryorig h5 universal good enough for a i7 8700k

Do you already own the PC? If so what case?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

yes

even the stock cooler is good enough, assuming you are doing no overclocking .. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 2/25/2018 at 1:01 PM, Streetguru said:

Do you already own the PC? If so what case?

Not built it yet it’s the mastercase pro 5 3 140mm intake ll series fans and 2 ll120 top and a ll140 as exhaust 

On 2/25/2018 at 1:02 PM, themctipers said:

yes

I’d like to do a mild overclock around 4.5 to 4.7

2 minutes ago, gazdadude said:

Not built it yet it’s the mastercase pro 5 3 140mm intake ll series fans and 2 ll120 top and a ll140 as exhaust 

And what do you need the PC for? Do you already own a GPU? What's the rest of the parts and budget/country, and what's your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, gazdadude said:

I’d like to do a mild overclock around 4.5 to 4.7

it'll work probably

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

And what do you need the PC for? Do you already own a GPU? What's the rest of the parts and budget/country, and what's your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

Msi gaming m5 motherboard 

msi 1080ti gaming x

corsair vengeance rgb ram 32gb @ 3200mhz

el gato 60hd

evga supernova g3 1000w power supply 

960 evo 500gb

850 evo 500gb

seagate barracuda pro 8th

it will be a gaming/streaming pc

£100 budget for cooler only want air

4 minutes ago, gazdadude said:

Just get a Noctua something? but where are you getting a 1080ti at all even? And for what price?

Everything on the part picker is out of stock or horribly overpriced
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=390&sort=price&page=1

Depending on how much you care about streaming or your CPU in general you could always get a 1950X for now and save the rest of your budget for when GPU prices are normal, or when next generation GPUs are out and get more performance for the same price.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YKzbPs
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YKzbPs/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor  (£746.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Enermax - LiqTech TR4 360 102.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£154.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  (£309.56 @ More Computers)
Total: £1211.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-25 19:16 GMT+0000

You also don't need a capture card unless that's for a secondary PC or for capturing consoles?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Just get a Noctua something? but where are you getting a 1080ti at all even? And for what price?

Everything on the part picker is out of stock or horribly overpriced
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=390&sort=price&page=1

Depending on how much you care about streaming or your CPU in general you could always get a 1950X for now and save the rest of your budget for when GPU prices are normal, or when next generation GPUs are out and get more performance for the same price.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YKzbPs
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YKzbPs/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor  (£746.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Enermax - LiqTech TR4 360 102.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£154.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  (£309.56 @ More Computers)
Total: £1211.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-25 19:16 GMT+0000

I’ve already bought everything except the cooler 

3 minutes ago, gazdadude said:

I’ve already bought everything except the cooler 

Should totally sell the 1080ti for like 800+ GBP while you can

But ya just an NH-D15 or something man, best air coolers assuming it fits in your case

Spoiler

On 2/25/2018 at 1:02 PM, themctipers said:

yes

Last I checked they didn't offer a "stock cooler" for the K series stuff for a few generations now.

OP depending on your case... if you can fit one a 240-280mm AIO would be a much better option. Putting a huge air cooler on your motherboard is not good for the motherboard. 

I personally prefer to lean towards an AIO to get the weight off the board, to get that hunk of metal out of there that is blocking air flow and exhausting hot air next to the gpu and also blowing that hot air from the gpu through the cpu. It just moves the hotspot to the exit point of the case... which can make your internal temps lower and thus reduce the ambient inside your case making for cooler temps.

On 2/26/2018 at 11:16 AM, AngryBeaver said:

OP depending on your case... if you can fit one a 240-280mm AIO would be a much better option. Putting a huge air cooler on your motherboard is not good for the motherboard. 

I personally prefer to lean towards an AIO to get the weight off the board, to get that hunk of metal out of there that is blocking air flow and exhausting hot air next to the gpu and also blowing that hot air from the gpu through the cpu. It just moves the hotspot to the exit point of the case... which can make your internal temps lower and thus reduce the ambient inside your case making for cooler temps.

There's no worry about an air cooler stressing the motherboard with good mounting hardware. Here's a worse case scenario example with a NH-D14 bent after the system was hurled through a windshield. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/703261-heres-a-dirty-story/

An air cooler near the graphics card probably improves cooling of the graphics card by promoting airflow more often than worsening it due to heat. Heat from the graphics card can raise cpu temps though. 

The H5 universal is good. PCPartPicker.com is currently down but the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B would be better and is probably cheaper: https://www.alternate.co.uk/Scythe/Mugen-5-Rev-B-Processor-Cooler-CPU-cooler/html/product/1364348?campaign=Cooling/Scythe/1364348

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

There's no worry about an air cooler stressing the motherboard with good mounting hardware. Here's a worse case scenario example with a NH-D14 bent after the system was hurled through a windshield. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/703261-heres-a-dirty-story/

An air cooler near the graphics card probably improves cooling of the graphics card by promoting airflow more often than worsening it due to heat. Heat from the graphics card can raise cpu temps though. 

The H5 universal is good. PCPartPicker.com is currently down but the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B would be better and is probably cheaper: https://www.alternate.co.uk/Scythe/Mugen-5-Rev-B-Processor-Cooler-CPU-cooler/html/product/1364348?campaign=Cooling/Scythe/1364348

While I have only ever seen a case or two in all my time on various enthusiast sites over a decade or so. I have at least seen boards that died from being over stressed from them. Now, when it comes to boards that are bent or warped after being removed due to a big air cooler I have seen that much more often, but the boards are still functionally fine in most cases.

Also to the GPU and CPU creating a hot spot in the case. Like I previously stated if your case flow is good and you have a proper wind tunnel effect this isn't much of a concern. However, you would be shocked at how few people actually take the time or do the homework to configure their airflow properly.

So... On a reference cpu with a blower that exhaust straight out the back this isn't as much of an issue as it will only suffer from hotter intake air which will raid the temps on it a few C. On a card with a non blower style that heat is dumped right in the case. When you have 2 extremely hot components in such a close area and an improper case config... then that heat will actually swirl around in that general area increasing the intake air of the components and then exhausting it back into the case to continually raise the ambient next to the components a decent bit. In this scenario you can see 10-15c higher temps on these components because of it. 

So while I am not saying it would be that extreme of a problem, it is still a risk and a factor you must weight regardless.

AIO prices are not that far off from BIG air coolers and a 240mm rad generally has a much higher TDP it can remove... it also exhausts it straight from the case, looks cleaner (my opinion), and takes that added weight and applies it to the case which is much more sturdy than the motherboard.

In the end if you spend the money on a high end cpu (especially one that runs as hot as the 8700k) then you should be prepared to spend the money on a better cooling solution. Big air can come close to a CLC AIO, but the good AIO's are still better and that gap increases the more TDP you are trying to cool. If you run a nice push/pull setup on a AIO then you can even reduce the rpm in most cases and still dissipate more heat. Heat dissipation is dependent on two main things: Air flow and sure area. A 240mm rad can Win out in both areas.

7 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Also to the GPU and CPU creating a hot spot in the case. Like I previously stated if your case flow is good and you have a proper wind tunnel effect this isn't much of a concern. However, you would be shocked at how few people actually take the time or do the homework to configure their airflow properly.

So... On a reference cpu with a blower that exhaust straight out the back this isn't as much of an issue as it will only suffer from hotter intake air which will raid the temps on it a few C. On a card with a non blower style that heat is dumped right in the case. When you have 2 extremely hot components in such a close area and an improper case config... then that heat will actually swirl around in that general area increasing the intake air of the components and then exhausting it back into the case to continually raise the ambient next to the components a decent bit. In this scenario you can see 10-15c higher temps on these components because of it. 

AIO prices are not that far off from BIG air coolers and a 240mm rad generally has a much higher TDP it can remove... it also exhausts it straight from the case, looks cleaner (my opinion), and takes that added weight and applies it to the case which is much more sturdy than the motherboard.

The airflow config with 3 front intakes, 2 top exhausts, and a rear exhaust in the MasterCase Pro 5 shouldn't experience any significant hotspots. A large heatsink could pose an issue in a much lower airflow environment and smaller case but that isn't the situation here. The raise in temps be 10-15c higher but probably <5c at worst.

A reference 1080 Ti will run hotter than the Gaming X mentioned. In either case of blower vs. open air or heatsink vs AIO, it's a trade-off between better cpu or gpu temps. Since graphics cards tend to be more sensitive to heat for both boosting core clocks / oc'ing and longevity, I'd argue that it's often better to prioritize graphics card cooling first.

Unless the system is being dropped or thrown, the weight of the cooler isn't an issue with proper mounting regardless of whether it's a heatsink or AIO. There's no question that an AIO can win out in cooling but they can't be nearly as quiet and generally cost more for the same performance without dramatically higher rpm fans that are also noisier. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.