Huawei MateBook X Pro - Ultra thin borders all arround display. Where the webcam? It's a Keyboard key!

GoodBytes

Mobile World Congress (MWC) has started, so expect lots of phone news.

But today Huawei announces a new thin form factor laptop that brings random Apple branding and MacBook Pro look all together with the: MateBook X Pro.

img-0019-1.jpg

While sporting a Quad Core (possibly U series) Intel's 8th gen Core i5 and i7 CPUs as options, and an Nvidia dedicated GPU, all in a 14inch form factor. It's selling feature is the super thin bezel that the system sports that are similar to the Dell XPS. But unlike the Dell XPS, it doesn't have a large bottom bezel area that is mostly there for the web cam. So where is it? Removed? Nope.

The webcam is hidden under a keyboard key:

tu8r6piiqlnqiylitlnk.gif

The key is added, so you don't loose an F# key. It sits between the F6 and F7 keys

The laptop features:

• A 3,000 x 2,000 resolution 13.9 inch touch enabled display with a 91% screen-to-body ratio (Believed to be an IPS panel). 3:2 aspect ratio.
  • Pen support. But the display can't be put into a tablet mode.
  • Nvidia GeForce MX 150 GPU
  • i5 and i7 8th Quad Core KabyLake R CPU (U series)
  • Up to 16GB of RAM
  • Dolby Atmos enabled quad speakers setup
  • Claims battery life of 12h with its 57.4Wh battery.
  • SSD (no info.. probably your typical selection)

As inputs it has:

• Headphone plug
  • 1x USB Type-C with charging capability
  • 1x USB Type-C with charging capability and with Thunderbolt 3
  • 1x USB Type A

peq5blzgwjqrqcpcetu9.jpg.4fde5a53ada88990df5c21104bd63987.jpg

Huawei-MateBook-X-Pro-Webcam-804x580.png

(Yup, she is laughing at you,as she sees that you have snot in your nose, and something funny under your chin, as that is all that she will really can see. But it's ok, you get to enjoy her picture as you Skype to her, as she is equipped with a nice 4K webcam, as the picture suggests, while she can only see you (well, you chin) in 720p at best)

No info on pricing or release date. Although, we do know that the base configuration, which packs the MX150 discrete graphics, a Core i5 CPU and 256GB of storage, will cost €1,499 in Europe. That is all we know. We do know that the older non-Pro model of this laptop (which is really more of a normal laptop) starts at 1,100$ US. So this one should be more expensive.

Unfortunately, we still don't know how much it will cost and when it will be available, but we do know that it will come in two colors (silver and dark gray). Because the original MateBook X started at $1,099, you can expect the Pro model to cost slightly more than that at launch. That's not a small investment, so you might want to wait until we get a review unit in for more testing before splurging on it.

Update: At its press conference in Barcelona, Huawei shared some European pricing information, which should be a good reference for when the device arrives stateside. The base configuration, which packs the MX150 discrete graphics, a Core i5 CPU and 256GB of storage, will cost €1,499.

G920 or whatever that Logitech 4K one is called

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Well they can claim that their Webcam has privacy in mind ;) (Ignoring mic, but I digress)

I have many jokes, but they are political.

I'll just say, better not spill anything on that keyboard. I doubt it'll be on Amazon for $11.

5 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

wallet says no

savings says no

but i want it

See your bank financial advisors then! They'll show you that you are richer than you think by pushing you into using more credit cards that you can max out and get mortgagees and be in debt the rest of your life! :P

They indeed claim the camera placement is for privacy. 

Uses a U series cpu, probably learning from the original matebook (2016, using an m3 and m5)

Starts with a 256gb SSD, probably the top model has 500gb.

Comes with an adapter for dongles and stuff in the box, so no need to buy one separately.

The X branding ISN'T Apple. The Matebook name comes from 2016, beginning 2017 they launched Matebook X, before apple came with iphone X.

Comes with signature windows edition

The laptop is the first one in the world with such thin bezels, adding another "first one" to the already extremely long list of "first" of Huawei.

It's rather pricey, espcially compared to the 2017 Matebook X, but the improvements are there. Is it for everybody? No. It's obviously targeted towards the business market, but is also for consumers who have some money and don't really want to spend a fortune on a Windows tablet-whatever (that cost 2500 euro....).

Overall, I'll try to get my hands on one.

Here's the promo video in case somebody actually cares? 

Edit: model pricing:

1499e for i5/8gb ram/256gb ssd

1699e for i7/8gb ram/512gb ssd

1899e for i7/16gb ram/512gb ssd (which is probably the one I would take?)

Seeing as i dont think ive ever used my webcam other than hitting the wrong button on a skype call, i love this thing. It looks so damn clean.

I wish it had more ram so i could try to talk my company into getting me one.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

See your bank financial advisors then! They'll show you that you are richer than you think by pushing you into using more credit cards that you can max out and get mortgagees and be in debt the rest of your life! :P

No way, won't let them take my soul!

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Shame the U.S. Government said not to use Huawei or ZTE products.

Actually Huawei laptops are rather popular in the US. For some reason here in Europe they are 1. next to impossible to find 2. the few shops who have them overprice the hell out of them.

Check amazon.com or newegg, they have the Matebook X for very good prices. The Mateboox X Signature Edition was even on sale for 700$ last week, an impressive bargain. Nearly got one, but customs......... :( no thanks.

same with the 2016 matebook, here in europe I got it via my company, but they still paid a premium for it, while in the US it goes for 400$. At that price point you're better off importing it, paying the customs, and it'll STILL be cheaper than buying it here. Not sure why, but seems EU retailers are not liking Huawei's laptops very much...

here the chinese laptop that is getting popular is the xiaomi something something.

2 minutes ago, The Viking said:

Actually Huawei laptops are rather popular in the US. For some reason here in Europe they are 1. next to impossible to find 2. the few shops who have them overprice the hell out of them.

Check amazon.com or newegg, they have the Matebook X for very good prices. The Mateboox X Signature Edition was even on sale for 700$ last week, an impressive bargain. Nearly got one, but customs......... :( no thanks.

same with the 2016 matebook, here in europe I got it via my company, but they still paid a premium for it, while in the US it goes for 400$. At that price point you're better off importing it, paying the customs, and it'll STILL be cheaper than buying it here. Not sure why, but seems EU retailers are not liking Huawei's laptops very much...

here the chinese laptop that is getting popular is the xiaomi something something.

Never said they weren't popular. I said the U.S. Government said not to use them.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears

Wonder what the angle is for that camera. Looks like it'll just be pointing straight to my nipple. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Never said they weren't popular. I said the U.S. Government said not to use them.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears

I know that ;) I still recommend going with huawei regardless, whether they steal your data or not. And the US gov is a joke at this point so its hard to take anything they say seriously. I like to check US news sometimes just because it's better than a comedy show.

We discussed it here: 

22 hours ago, The Viking said:

The X branding ISN'T Apple. The Matebook name comes from 2016, beginning 2017 they launched Matebook X, before apple came with iphone X.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X, iPhone X. Anyway, I was just making a joke, as it is another MacBook Pro wannabe in terms of look, instead of having its own identity.

16 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Wonder what the angle is for that camera. Looks like it'll just be pointing straight to my nipple. 

From what I saw online, chin level. The angle is worst than the Dell XPS. it seems. If not, then about the same. Perhaps Linus can do a side by side comparison

If they did like Xiaomi and didn't put their ugly ass logo on top, I'd be interested

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

From what I saw online, chin level. The angle is worst than the Dell XPS. it seems. If not, then about the same. Perhaps Linus can do a side by side comparison

Man... especially when it's looking at you from underneath, it's going to be a flattering angle for people with fatter chins. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Final Cut Pro X, OS X, iPhone X. Anyway, I just making a joke, as it is another MacBook Pro wannabe in terms of look, instead of having its own identity.

it's rather different. Different shape, different keyboard, next to no bezels. Sure Apple is the most well known with its designs but weren't the first ones.

And where's the issue? It look and feels "premium". Apple nailed that years ago, others are following. I would still take the matebook x over a macbook, looks much better.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

doubt they'll sponsor him xD

Just a fake MacBook tbh. Just buy a real one and not have to put up with Windows 10.