Cooling VRM with 40mm fan

Puerto_Rico

I have no Idea how hot VRMs get on my B350 Tomahawk and after seeing Buildzoid and Gamers Nexus videos I feel like i should cool them. I'm running Fractal Design R5 with 3 intake fans(2 front and 1 bottom) and 2 exhaust fans. Also using Noctua NH-D15 for CPU cooling. Would 40mm fan make a difference if placed above VRM?

2 minutes ago, Puerto_Rico said:

I have no Idea how hot VRMs get on my B350 Tomahawk and after seeing Buildzoid and Gamers Nexus videos I feel like i should cool them. I'm running Fractal Design R5 with 3 intake fans(2 front and 1 bottom) and 2 exhaust fans. Also using Noctua NH-D15 for CPU cooling. Would 40mm fan make a difference if placed above VRM?

How hot are your VRM currently check using something like Hardware Info. They can take a lot of heat without any issue but even with some incidental airflow from the surrounding fans it will be enough. 

that motherboard has a temp sensor for the VRM if you open HWmonitor it's one of the ones under motherboard.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

I wouldn't go with a 40mm fan - your 3 intakes run more air over the VRMs than a 40mm would add.

Another note is that most 40mm fans are very loud. If that's something you're fine with - then no problem, but even when loud they don't move much air.

If you really want to cool them more, I'd recommend upgrading your intake fans. They'll run more air over the VRMs (albeit less directly) and be more quiet overall.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/