Food for thought: The future of computing is off-site rendering

Recently I got into the NVIDIA NOW program beta, and its amazing. I can play games at amazing graphics (completely maxed out) on my pretty underpowered non-gaming laptop, from my house, and I can't even notice the delay in response when playing a game such as ARK: Survival evolved, a game that put my 390X to shame (and now im running it on my laptop at ~33% higher framerate and ultra graphics, not medium).

One key limiting factor here is internet connection. Many areas can't use this tech because of poor internet, however, and lets keep in mind companies like SpaceX are actively working towards creating a global and fast internet (and knowing SpaceX's turnaround time, we'll see it operational in a handful of years). Soon everyone will have access to the internet and fast internet one way or another, or at least the vast majority. Maybe not in 5 years, maybe not even 10, but 20-30, definitely.

If today, I can already enjoy an amazing experience, the tech will be abundant in 15 years. When you power your home, you aren't running a generator to power it yourself. Instead. you pay a low fee to some guy who owns a massive industrial power plant who is doing it with scale of economies in mind. This is better for everyone and gets everyone cheap accessible electricity. In the future, computing will be the same. There will be big data centers loaded with CPUs, and GPUs, which were acquired in massive quantities and for a low wholesale price. In the case of NVIDIA NOW, NVIDIA literally designs and manufactures the GPUs themselves, their costs to set it up are as low as it really can be.

Why would you have a fast phone or computer when you could have a remote server do all the work for you, at low cost, and in the future, with no perceivable difference in use for the end user. Why would you buy a $800 GPU every year to get cutting edge performance when you could pay a low monthly fee instead and get the same experience on any device? Think about phones, with proper internet infrastructure, all it needs to do is store local files, and being able to handle a CPU load require to run the internet connection to run this, and you could then get a full gaming PC's performance in the palm of you hand, using the internet.

Even in 10 years, a budget CPU could easily handle the workload required to render everything off-site (constantly downloading at 50mbps is actually CPU intensive). I simply don't see how in 20-30 years time everyone will still be building crazy gaming PCs. Don't get me wrong though, there will be a place for the high-end hardware for a while, enthusiasts always stay, companies will want to keep data private, and people who can't get good internet will have to resort to on-site rendering. However, in the long term vision of tech, it makes no sense for it not to move in this direction.

Thoughts?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

7 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Why would you have a fast phone or computer when you could have a remote server do all the work for you, at low cost, and in the future, with no perceivable difference in use for the end user.

Because at the end of the day, there's no cloud, just someone else's computer.

Its certainly better than spending $1000 just for a 1070 at this rate.

Because "privacy". The consumer is becoming more and more paranoic about multiple people using his data without his consent. When you look at something as stupid as the NPU on the Kirin 970, the whole idea is that you don't depend on the cloud and get privacy ON the phone, by not letting some random google service treat and organize your pictures.

Kirin 970 video

You can also see this with the recent trend of users moving back to Windows 7 for more stability and privacy, or recent court rulings against Facebook and such.

Don't misunderstand me, I see the potential in the cloud and use some of the services without needing to install anything on my PC, but I don't see myself storing all my personnal files and depending entirely on it, especially knowing that, sometimes, the connection goes down. Eventually for gamers it just means we'll have an ok-ish rig while paying for a service such as nvidia now to play our games at max.

In France there's also a company testing this, called Shadow (https://shadow.tech/usen/), which basically offers what you are talking about:a server handles everything on one side and you get the rest. And by everything, the idea is EVERYTHING. It's basically a remotely controlled PC.

But I'll just go back on my first point and say "Privacy". I don't see the average user giving up his phone or PC due to fears of being constantly watched.

Besides, will old games be available? :| 

edit: about shadow.... be carrefull, lots of unhappy people as it seems to have issues running games such as rainbow six siege for using a vpn or something...

I don't see it happening, mostly because there are a lot of companies that would stand to lose a lot of money, and when that's possibility, such things are stifled; whether or not they're better for everyone.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'll probably be building my own pcs for privacy and personal storage, if nothing else.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Central Home Servers would be a more viable future than yet another OnLive 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

People still use local storage instead of cloud storage.

Sometimes it just feels better to have control of everything yourself and offline if necessary.

Also the lowest possible transfer latency would still be limited by optical and the speed of light, so even if you have the best internet connection possible it will always be lower latency to run programs on your own computer.

I'm sure most people will be fine with cloud computing or gaming but there will always be some enthusiasts that prefer having their own hardware.

Performance will get cheaper over time too, just like cell phones now are more powerful than million dollar supercomputers from not long ago.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

Because "privacy". The consumer is becoming more and more paranoic about multiple people using his data without his consent.

nope too late. We're past that. Nothing we can do

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

People still use local storage instead of cloud storage.

Sometimes it just feels better to have control of everything yourself and offline if necessary.

Also the lowest possible transfer latency would still be limited by optical and the speed of light, so even if you have the best internet connection possible it will always be lower latency to run programs on your own computer.

I'm sure most people will be fine with cloud computing or gaming but there will always be some enthusiasts that prefer having their own hardware.

Performance will get cheaper over time too, just like cell phones now are more powerful than million dollar supercomputers from not long ago.

I agree. Im one of those who would like his own hardware. What Id like to see is a machine that could be used by every one in the house. Sorta like a home cloud/server solution. Where you just connect to it via a thin client or something to that degree. Where you basically have one powerful machine that you can upgrade based on work load and the amount of users that will be using it. So this way every thing is centralized but you also have total control. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

And we spent so long moving away from that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't see it happening, mostly because there are a lot of companies that would stand to lose a lot of money, and when that's possibility, such things are stifled; whether or not they're better for everyone.

Oil companies are losing and will lose a ton of money from renewable energy becoming commonplace.

Does that stop renewable energy from becoming the majority energy supplier?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I think our infrastructure is far away from supporting this off site approach.

just imagine the increase of bandwidth needed to sustain all these devices (PCs, phones, tablets, TVs, etc.) with high resolution (4K+) streams. 

Especially considering that here in Germany I still pay 10€/month to get 1.5Gb data on my mobile phone I’m not seeing this as happening. At least in the next 20 years 

7 hours ago, Vacras said:

Especially considering that here in Germany I still pay 10€/month to get 1.5Gb data on my mobile phone I’m not seeing this as happening. At least in the next 20 years 

keep complaining, I pay 15e/month for 1.5gb of data here in belgium :D 

in spain you can get 1gb for 5e/month, unlimited (20gb at 4g then after you keep going at slower speed for free) for 25e/month. Here in belgium now orange offers for 40e/month 20gb at 4g, nearly the double from spain :P 

I think our infrastructure is far away from supporting this off site approach.

This. For cloud to replace more and more stuff relies on fast, affordable and reliable connectivity. Typically we can pick two at best.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think our infrastructure is far away from supporting this off site approach

Which is why I think Local clouds (as in your house) would be a better choice. I could never use an off site approach as I have data caps. I think having a centralized machine in some ones house is more practical. As you can upgrade it as you need. By local cloud I mean a beefy machine that can allow multiple users access. Maybe using like a thin client or something. So instead of every one having a physical powerful computer, there would just be one some where in your home. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Which is why I think Local clouds (as in your house) would be a better choice. I could never use an off site approach as I have data caps. I think having a centralized machine in some ones house is more practical. As you can upgrade it as you need. By local cloud I mean a beefy machine that can allow multiple users access. Maybe using like a thin client or something. So instead of every one having a physical powerful computer, there would just be one some where in your home. 

would be more interesting in buildings...

and actually...........

A french startup is doing something along those lines. They are using Threadripper's to sell computing power and offer you... home heating!

https://www.developpez.com/actu/160421/Une-startup-francaise-envisage-d-utiliser-des-machines-equipees-de-CPU-AMD-Ryzen-Pro-comme-systeme-de-chauffage-a-usage-professionnel-ou-domestique/

So maybe this is something we could see? Doesn't seem too crazy.

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

That is what I envision. Much like central heating and air, you have a rack server somewhere in the house that is wired to display outputs (Thunderbolt?) throughout the home. As an added benefit, if a consumer wants cable or satellite tv installed, wiring goes to the central server to serve the house instead of having to punch new holes in the walls.

I don't see such systems being very practical for most users however until we're at the point where progress grinds to a near-halt, with the only other option of performance increases being to expand power budget. Granted, racks could be changed out, upgraded and added as time passes, though it would be an expensive proposition for most non-DIY users in addition to the power consumption.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

That is what I envision. Much like central heating and air, you have a rack server somewhere in the house that is wired to display outputs (Thunderbolt?) throughout the home. As an added benefit, if a consumer wants cable or satellite tv installed, wiring goes to the central server to serve the house instead of having to punch new holes in the walls.

I don't see such systems being very practical for most users however until we're at the point where progress grinds to a near-halt, with the only other option of performance increases being to expand power budget. Granted, racks could be changed out, upgraded and added as time passes, though it would be an expensive proposition for most non-DIY users in addition to the power consumption.

I remember Razer had a Project called Christine I believe. For a modular computer. While the tech is not there yet, Im referring to something more in to the future. Maybe some kind of modular approach could be used. But I do agree, people not in to DIY computer builds would be left in the dust. 

2 hours ago, The Viking said:

keep complaining, I pay 15e/month for 1.5gb of data here in belgium :D 

in spain you can get 1gb for 5e/month, unlimited (20gb at 4g then after you keep going at slower speed for free) for 25e/month. Here in belgium now orange offers for 40e/month 20gb at 4g, nearly the double from spain :P 

well technically the mobile contracts here in Germany are unlimited as well, but you’ll be surfing with 25 kbit/s after you’ve reached your data limit basically returning you to stone age duh ... :S

22 minutes ago, Vacras said:

well technically the mobile contracts here in Germany are unlimited as well, but you’ll be surfing with 25 kbit/s after you’ve reached your data limit basically returning you to stone age duh ... :S

mmm the unlimited one is down to 500kbit/s, the others aren't unlimited. once I used my 1.5gb, I have to pay if i want to keep surfing.

1 minute ago, The Viking said:

mmm the unlimited one is down to 500kbit/s, the others aren't unlimited. once I used my 1.5gb, I have to pay if i want to keep surfing.

Wow never thought it could get much worse than here. It’s enough to text, but anything apart from that is not doable.

3 minutes ago, Vacras said:

Wow never thought it could get much worse than here. It’s enough to text, but anything apart from that is not doable.

With Orange, here in Belgium, the lowest is:

15e/month: unlimited SMS (who cares?), 2.5 hours of calls and 1.5gb at 4G. Once you've used those, you have to pay. No slowing surf or anything.

There's a few companies with different offers, such as one offering 4gb at 4G for 15e/month, but no calls or SMS, and another having something along those lines but I don't think any of them have network here in Brussels, or at least in my neighbourhood. 

Besides, there's a loyalty program with Orange, since I've been with 2 years with them they gave me a 20% discount for 6 months, so I only pay 12/month for now. They also give you a cinema ticket every 3 months or so (you need to buy one and get the second one free, so it's ok-ish for couples and such but still forces you to BUY something).

It used to be only 1gb/month and about a year ago they increased it by 500mb if you gave up unlimited (well, 4gb max) Facebook/Twitter. So I hope they soon increase it to 2 or 3gb/month, otherwise I may test the other operator and see if they have network around.

This post reads like a sales pitch or an ad...

you have to remember that not everyone has the internet speeds like you guys do in the US. I'm stuck with 7mbps down and like 0.5mbps up on a good day and likely wont see any improvement in many years.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒