USB drive and external HDD power up but no data transfer

POSIX23

Hey everyone, I recently swap from an Asus ATX to an ASRock ITX motherboard, before the swap, my system worked fine. Now, the USB ports, both front panel and motherboard, take anything but USB drives and external HDDs (my keyboard, mouse, and external DAC work fine). Is this a drivers issue? If yes, then which one should I reinstall. Thanks in advance

AUDIO:

- Desktop: Sennheiser GSX 1000 --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Nintendo Switch: LG 29UM68-P --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Portable (Wired): LG V30+ --> Audio-Technica CKR70, Ostry KC06A

- Portable (Wireless): Samsung Galaxy S10+ --> Sennheiser PXC 550, Sony WF-1000XM3, Samsung Buds

One more thing, my system crashes with BSOD on shutdown and restart with error code POWER_DRIVERS_STATE_FAILURE

AUDIO:

- Desktop: Sennheiser GSX 1000 --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Nintendo Switch: LG 29UM68-P --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Portable (Wireless): Samsung Galaxy S10+ --> Sennheiser PXC 550, Sony WF-1000XM3, Samsung Buds

40 minutes ago, ToanZodiac said:

Hey everyone, I recently swap from an Asus ATX to an ASRock ITX motherboard, before the swap, my system worked fine. Now, the USB ports, both front panel and motherboard, take anything but USB drives and external HDDs (my keyboard, mouse, and external DAC work fine). Is this a drivers issue? If yes, then which one should I reinstall. Thanks in advance

Did you reinstall windows and your drivers, or simply swap the motherboard and crossed your fingers? Asking because the USB chipset most likely uses different drivers or just a different version of the same drivers. It's possible that there's enough power being supplied for small devices, but anything that needs more power, like an external HDD, may not receive enough because the right drivers aren't installed to detect this.

Although I've been working with computers for 10+ years, the land of drivers is still completely messed up to me since everything is closed source so no one can actually improve hardware integration through improved driver development. I could also be entirely wrong and this not be a driver problem at all - maybe the new board's power delivery to USB ports is defective on a hardware level, maybe your drives just don't like the chipset in the new board. Have you tried the external drives in another computer?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

@kirashi Only swap the motherboard

AUDIO:

3 minutes ago, ToanZodiac said:

@kirashi Only swap the motherboard

Bingo bango! Either your Windows installation or drivers (or both) are broken. While you can indeed swap motherboard's with modern versions of Windows, I cannot condone this practice. 10+ years in IT has taught me that Windows will do weird things as it holds on to old drivers from the prior motherboard and tries to figure out which new ones to use. My advice? Re-install Windows so it's clean and it'll start working again.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, ToanZodiac said:

Dont know if its the case but here is a similar case:

Motherboard MSI B350, worked fine with USB3.0 but not with USB 2.0 or 3.1. (They powered the device, but no data whatsoever).

The solution was to enable XHCI handoff in the BIOS and install chipset drivers (those contained USB drivers for the remaining 2.0 and 3.1 controller).

Done in W7 SP1 64bit with Ryen platform.