120Hz PC Gaming - On a TV!!

NVIDIA made our mouths water when they unveiled the 4k 120Hz BFGD at CES... But we want 120Hz on a TV NOW! Can we get it?

Buy a VIZIO P65-E1:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/1qEQ5cb
On Newegg: http://geni.us/Q8yNABP

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

I like that had the "seizure/epilepsy" warning, but next time, just don't have that flickering video in there. Just leave it as stills or find some other way to compensate. Or have a similar message at the bottom for when the flickering is done so I would know when I can stop mostly blocking the screen with my hands/arm. Though just leaving it at stills or compensating for it in some other fashion would be much better since it poses no risk.

That way I don't have to risk anything by trying to turn my head to find out when the flickering video is done. Thankfully I don't have a history of seizures or epilepsy, but I do have problems with motion sickness, so flickering video does make my eyes go wonky, which can lead to dizziness. When another YouTube cannel was trying out different commentary backgrounds, I provided feedback that two of them they considered were problematic for me due to my history.

On the video subject, I've actually been using a 60Hz 32" TV as my primary monitor at home - wife does the same - simply due to cost. It allowed me to get a much larger monitor for a fraction of the cost at the time I bought it. And I haven't had any problem using it for gaming.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

So basically Vizio just has to put a Display port on this and its Game over for Nvidia. With that, I doubt Nvidia ever launches their stuff, unless G sync is that much of a draw to PC gamers. 

Sorry to say Linus but your opinion on OLED gaming stinks of ignorance.

Saying one should not game on OLED due to burn in, is wrong on 2 significant levels.

1) OLEDs dont burn in. If a high contrats image is left for to long then those pixels degrade faster thus become dimmer than surrounding pixels, resulting in image retention. Typical 'burn in' is exactly what it sounds, physical damage to the screen caused by a static image, this is present on older Plasma's and CRT's. Old CRT's can even show said burn in with the screen completly unpowered, sicne the screen itself is dmaaged and 'burnt in'.

2) OLED much like later generation Plasma's, CAN be used for gaming and dont burn in anywhere nearly as easily as you, and alot of other people make out. Check out Rtings OLED burn in torture test for an example, it takes weeks of 20/7 usuage showing the same high contrast images to start to show perma image retention.

Typical gaming, will somtimes show temporary image retention, but thats about it. if one treats a OLED like a Plasma or CRT, using screen savers, and being aware of image retention, it can be avoided rather easily.

I speak from experience, as i write this im using my Panasonic plasma TV, which iv used for over 5 years as my PC VDU, my only PC VDU. And im a heavy user. I use it every day for hours on end. i play games with static images for hours. Guess what , no perma burn in.

Spreading false , or at the very least over generalized, information about OLED's , will only harm peoples perception of them and slow the 'hopefully' eventualy replacment of LCD technologiy in favor of OLED.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

8 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

-snip-

Problem is you can't expect consumers to treat an OLED display better than LED displays. My mother has owned multiple notes (1, 3, 4, 6) and they all suffered burn in. Heck, my PS vita has a little bit of burn in although since day one of owning it, I've tried to avoid it getting burn in. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

10 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Problem is you can't expect consumers to treat an OLED display better than LED displays. My mother has owned multiple notes (1, 3, 4, 6) and they all suffered burn in. Heck, my PS vita has a little bit of burn in although since day one of owning it, I've tried to avoid it getting burn in. 

Early OLED panels , and even newer panels, especialy those on mobiles devices like phones, i can fully expect to have perma image retention, they have high contrast static images that pritty much never change. Its a poor panel technology choice for the usuage, infact its a stupid choice, most likey chosen for the 'hey we have OLED screen on our phones , buy ours' marketing ploy.

But for current TV's, nah. Take a look at Rtings tests, they even started a more 'realistic' test recently which is currently on week 4 update.

The gaming use test has 0 signs of image retention.

5 hours on 1 hour off, 4 times a day. (so week 4 is 560 hours of almost constant use with the same repeating images)

A high risk game, FIFA 18, which has high contrast static HUD,

and a low risk game,  COD WW2, which has low contrast HUD.

They have other use situations going aswell.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

EDIT:

This is their Torture test which they started a while back.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

15 hours ago, Hip said:

And what about european tv's?? :-o

I have been using my Sony KD-65XE9005 at 120Hz for a while. I have put resolution at 1440p 120hz. I'm not sure if it is actually 1440p or just 1080p, Windows says it's 1440p but the somehow only shows resolution info at 1080p or 4k. But either way, it works really well.

I just got this TV a couple of weeks ago at Costco for $1200. I have used a Steam Link, and PS3 on it for gaming. Both worked very well. I do not have an HDMI cord long enough to try 4K gaming on it. I know I cannot do video from my PC because I do not have Intel chip that lets you process 4K so kinda a moot point to test that.

Everything worked well with the Steam Link even on WiFi I had no issues with any games in terms of lag or screen tearing. I did not turn on the Clear Action I would use the Game Low Latency and it looked and responded just fine. I am curious about what he said about putting the sharpness down to 0. Does that also reduce motion blur?

The only minus I have with the set is that I will get judder when watching older DVDs and some streaming content on Netflix or Youtube. It is strange, the Reduce Judder option is actually greyed out when I try to use it. I can only use the Reduce Motion Blur setting which helps a little but I still notice things then to teleport across the screen instead of flow.

Aside from that, for games and newer content it's a really good TV for the price.

• 1 month later...
On 24/02/2018 at 8:45 PM, SolarNova said:

Sorry to say Linus but your opinion on OLED gaming stinks of ignorance.

Saying one should not game on OLED due to burn in, is wrong on 2 significant levels.

1) OLEDs dont burn in. If a high contrats image is left for to long then those pixels degrade faster thus become dimmer than surrounding pixels, resulting in image retention. Typical 'burn in' is exactly what it sounds, physical damage to the screen caused by a static image, this is present on older Plasma's and CRT's. Old CRT's can even show said burn in with the screen completly unpowered, sicne the screen itself is dmaaged and 'burnt in'.

2) OLED much like later generation Plasma's, CAN be used for gaming and dont burn in anywhere nearly as easily as you, and alot of other people make out. Check out Rtings OLED burn in torture test for an example, it takes weeks of 20/7 usuage showing the same high contrast images to start to show perma image retention.

Typical gaming, will somtimes show temporary image retention, but thats about it. if one treats a OLED like a Plasma or CRT, using screen savers, and being aware of image retention, it can be avoided rather easily.

I speak from experience, as i write this im using my Panasonic plasma TV, which iv used for over 5 years as my PC VDU, my only PC VDU. And im a heavy user. I use it every day for hours on end. i play games with static images for hours. Guess what , no perma burn in.

Spreading false , or at the very least over generalized, information about OLED's , will only harm peoples perception of them and slow the 'hopefully' eventualy replacment of LCD technologiy in favor of OLED.

Just thought i would share an update from Rtings in regards to OLED and burnin for gaming use.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Week 10 , at the time the pictures were taken, 1400 hours of near constant use of the same game play looped for 5 hours then rest for 1 hour (off) x4 times a day.

So 1400 hours, assuming som1 plays say on average 4 hours a day, thats almost a whole year of just gaming, the same game over and over... every day.

The result, on both the high risk game (fifa 18) and the low risk game (COD WWII) is .......no 'burn in'.

It's fact that OLED pre-2018 have burn in issues.  I have gotten this information from many reliable sources.  As for gaming on a 4K tv at 120 Hz and you can actually get 120 FPS then yeah that would be awesome.  For me though not interested now as I stupidly sold my GTX 1080 Ti. : S

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a 4k 55" Sony Bravia. I specifically opted for the 2016 model over the newer series versions because it is 120Hz panel and newer versions are only 60Hz. I have a pretty heavy-duty PC.( i7 5960x, 64GB of DDR4, Dual G-force Titan X 12GB video cards running in SLI, 1TB SSD) I Played Doom about a year ago at 1080p...visually very good. I just finished it again in full 2160p at Max settings with no(noticeable) gaming lag at 120 fps! Granted, framerate was not constant and dropped at points to 70fps ish. But what an intense and beautiful experience! When I turned on Vsync, there was a small drop in fps and was a slight, and I mean slight, game lag. I play mostly driving games, so gaming lag was the main reason I got this TV. 4K driving with even the slightest of controller lag makes it impossible. With that said, I have absolutely NO problem driving in 4k, Max settings, Vsync enabled!(Dirt 4, WRC7, NFS Payback, Forza Horizon) One negative about the TV for gaming is the edge lighting bleed in pitch black scenes. Other than that, I couldn't be happier! My main reason for posting here is that Sony has/had a 55" 4K 120Hz panel TV great for gaming(even with light bleed) on the consumer market since 2016. If you have the PC hardware to run 4k gaming at Max settings, this monitor/TV won't disappoint! 

I bought the Sony Bravia 55" 4K TV   XBR55X850D(2016) for $800 new on Amazon. Beware... Amazon will try to get you to buy the newer models but remember the newer ones are only 60Hz. (NATIVE) panel 120Hz refresh rate is only on this model in 2016.