Windows 10 Redstone 4 will prevent your PC from sleeping to allow Windows Update to finish

Master Disaster
1 minute ago, Mail me to the Moon said:

Dude. That's my response to your irrational arguement. I gave solid examples of pc's that would not need immediate updates. You do know what a closed network is, right?

I explicitly referred to computers connected to the internet. That's the only relevant ones anyway, it's not like Microsoft can magically teleport in updates without an internet connection.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

There are some deeply selfish things you don't get to insist on in a connected world. "No one wants a repeat of WannaCry but I'm going to make it happen anyway because ME ME ME ME ME."

How was what I said even remotely similar to this?

If it's a critical issue ala WannaCry, Spectre, Meltdown etc then fine, force away but this is not Microsofts position.

Microsoft think that forcing my computer to shut down while I am working on it so they can install a patch for some bloatware game they forced into my computer in the first place is an OK situation and it just isn't.

Could you imagine if your Tesla decided to shut down and reboot while you were driving it because Tesla decided the UI on the system interface needed an update?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

I explicitly referred to computers connected to the internet. That's the only relevant ones anyway, it's not like Microsoft can magically teleport in updates without an internet connection.

I corrected it. I misread part of your post, the point remains though. If I'm dj'ing at a party I don't want the party to stop because of some updates.

Computers are tools, people want them to work. Not make more work.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I seriously doubt someone would set their PC to sleep to reduce power bills or reducing noise pollution. 

I sleep mine before going to work every day, I used to leave it on all day but it's cheaper to sleep it. No I don't want to shut it down either.

20 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Most people never tell it to.

then so be it, it's their hardware to do what ever they want with it. Until MS's doesn't start paying for people's thing, they should have no qualms with the users decides to do. MS is not a government deciding what people's do is right or wrong, they're a company, an external entity who's only role is to serve a product. It's not their hardware, it's the users. It's not their electricity bill, it's the users. End of story.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I sleep mine before going to work every day, I used to leave it on all day but it's cheaper to sleep it. No I don't want to shut it down either.

+1 I also put it to sleep when im going to sleep so it would be irritating if the damn thing shows the middle finger saying "sorry no sleep for you because of some bloody update".... >:(

Sounds good, I tried updating my laptop to FCU overnight and it went to sleep 30 minutes later even though it was plugged in and I had to start the whole thing again. I mostly use my desktop and only use my laptop for travelling so I'd prefer getting it up to date ASAP when I do use it.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

Just now, jagdtigger said:

+1 I also put it to sleep when im going to sleep so it would be irritating if the damn thing shows the middle finger saying "sorry no sleep for you because of some bloody update".... >:(

next thing you know, MS will start forcing PCs to boot back up just so it can install the latest update. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Just now, yuh25 said:

Sounds good, I tried updating my laptop to FCU overnight and it went to sleep 30 minutes later even though it was plugged in and I had to start the whole thing again. I mostly use my desktop and only use my laptop for travelling so I'd prefer getting it up to date ASAP when I do use it.

In this case I agree, it's pretty dumb that after the user has OKed the update Windows will still sleep without finishing.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

How was what I said even remotely similar to this?

If it's a critical issue ala WannaCry, Spectre, Meltdown etc then fine, force away but this is not Microsofts position.

Microsoft think that forcing my computer to shut down while I am working on it so they can install a patch for some bloatware game they forced into my computer in the first place is an OK situation and it just isn't.

Could you imagine if your Tesla decided to shut down and reboot while you were driving it because Tesla decided the UI on the system interface needed an update?

They don't force games into your computer unless you leave the settings that way (heck it might even be opt-in for all I know).

And this whole "restart while using it" thing is specifically what this change would help people avoid.

10 minutes ago, Mail me to the Moon said:

I corrected it. I misread part of your post, the point remains though. If I'm dj'ing at a party I don't want the party to stop because of some updates.

Computers are tools, people want them to work. Not make more work.

But this change would help people avoid that particular scenario...

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

then so be it, it's their hardware to do what ever they want with it. Until MS's doesn't start paying for people's thing, they should have no qualms with the users decides to do. MS is not a government deciding what people's do is right or wrong, they're a company, an external entity who's only role is to serve a product. It's not their hardware, it's the users. It's not their electricity bill, it's the users. End of story.

It isn't their internet they put at risk.

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

next thing you know, MS will start forcing PCs to boot back up just so it can install the latest update. 

I wouldn't mind having this as an option.

They don't force games into your computer unless you leave the settings that way (heck it might even be opt-in for all I know).

And this whole "restart while using it" thing is specifically what this change would help people avoid.

And it isn't microsofts' role to enforce it. If they think it's such an issue they can take it up with local, state, and federal governments. 

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

And MS isn't paying the users internet bill too, again: It's up to the user. Not MS to do what they see fit with the hardware they (the users) have purchased with their own hard earned cash.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Have you ever actually used Windows 10? OOB it comes with at least 3 "freemium" games installed (one is Candy Crush Saga, can't remember the others) and the user has ZERO choice on whether they're installed or not, as long as your computer is connected to the internet during setup they are forced into your PC and yes, even on Windows Pro too.

I think they already did, one of the reasons why i ditched this junk is that it waked up my PC in the middle of the night while in sleep mode(even though all things that could wake it up was disabled), got out of bed, put it back to sleep then back to the bed. A few minutes later it switched on again... It did it three times then i said screw you, this time it was shutdown, flipped the switch on the power cord and next day after work i just reinstalled win7. No such occurrence since then, not to mention updates... :D (dont even start preaching about it, its more dangerous to install black boxes labeled as ""updates"" by a shady company than not having them)

And MS isn't paying the users internet bill too, again: It's up to the user. Not MS to do what they see fit with the hardware they have purchased. with their own hard earned cash.

They have a setting for metered connections.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Have you ever actually used Windows 10? OOB it comes with at least 3 "freemium" games installed (one is Candy Crush Saga, can't remember the others) and the user has ZERO choice on whether they're installed or not, as long as your computer is connected to the internet during setup they are forced into your PC and yes, even on Windows Pro too.

Yes, I have used it since October 2014. It has never put games on my system since initial install. Not even those suggestions in the start menu.

Yes, I have used it since October 2014. It has never put games on my system since initial install. Not even those suggestions in the start menu.

Then they're on your PC, you probably just don't realise it.

Open Start and search for Candy.

Just now, Sakkura said:

That is a blatant lie... I used it for a short time but i had one big update, i had to clean out all the UWP crap after including the candy junkware.

They have a setting for metered connections

that setting does nothing to stop updates since the creators update.

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Sounds like he was using the beta version then. He might have been grandfathered out of it or something similar. I'm pretty sure the official version came out in 2015.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

They are not on my PC, and you just don't realize it.

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

That is a blatant lie... I used it for a short time but i had one big update, i had to clean out all the UWP crap after including the candy junkware.

That's how you set it up. I set it up differently.

8 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I think they already did, one of the reasons why i ditched this junk is that it waked up my PC in the middle of the night while in sleep mode(even though all things that could wake it up was disabled), got out of bed, put it back to sleep then back to the bed. A few minutes later it switched on again... It did it three times then i said screw you, this time it was shutdown, flipped the switch on the power cord and next day after work i just reinstalled win7. No such occurrence since then, not to mention updates... :D (dont even start preaching about it, its more dangerous to install black boxes labeled as ""updates"" by a shady company than not having them)

Playing devils advocate here but I had this issue with Windows 8.1, turned out to be an obscure wake on mouse setting inside Windows, once I disabled that it went away.

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

If you don't mind us asking how did you set it up differently? It'd be useful for the images I deploy. I usually rely on ltsb if I want a hassle free experience.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

AFAIK those are just suggestions/icon and once you click them they install? First thing I do is remove them and they never come back. But I use Win10 Education and I've never had any of the issues everyone keeps posting about in every news thing about Windows 10 so I could just have no idea about the pro version stuff.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

I didnt have a choice on the install screen's about preinstalled junkware(and as of today still no switch to not install any UWP junk or recommended app), but if you want to prove it post a video on youtube about how you ""set it up"".... :dry: