CRT vs LCD. There is an audience.

xXFPSKingXx

This is an xpost from a youtube comment which in under 24 hours has shown some backing.

Linus I know you're unlikely to hear this comment, but PLEASE help me out. Anyone reading, like this comment if you too are interested. TL;DR: PLEASE make an input latency comparison video on LCD vs CRT, just like you did for FreeSync vs GSync. I used to play COD on a huge CRT tv, and I will personally swear by the difference between playing on my family's 50" flatscreen. I think there could be a difference between a living room LCD and an LCD monitor, but I keep reading online that CRTs boast a 0ms input latency. The problem here is that LCD monitor companies like asus, acer, benq, hp, dell, and viewsonic ALL boast about their REFRESH RATES of 1-5ms. This stat IS relevant, as ghosting is a huge issue with LCDs in general, but it isn't the same in terms of INPUT LATENCY which gamers have to face in fast paced, reaction time based games like League of Legends.

I saw your video on comparing Gsync to Freesync, and I found it very informational. Your setup was literally perfect. The LED circuit board inputting the fire command was GENIUS, and the 980 fps camera was exactly what you needed to truly test the problem. I would be IMMENSELY grateful for you to do a similar comparison video between your typical 1ms response time gaming LCD monitor and any sort of 85+Hz CRT monitor. I just dont have the kind of apperatus for testing like you do. With your level of popularity, who knows.

crt.jpg

hasn't it been done already ?

ooh yeah !
on ncix :D
rip

TL:DR CRT is quicker.

update : 
Tech quicky also : 
un-rip

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

ooh yeah !
rip

f

sold me so many computer parts... 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

ooh yeah !
rip

A retest would be interesting to see if gaming monitors are as fast now, though a high refresh CRT monitor is getting more difficult to find. Linus would probably have to ask the viewers to donate a CRT monitor.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A retest would be interesting to see if gaming monitors are as fast now, though a high refresh CRT monitor is getting more difficult to find. Linus would probably have to ask the viewers to donate a CRT monitor.

freegeek :P 
but true. @LinusTech lcd vs crt vs oled ? vs (whats that other one called)

8 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

whats with you typing F?

Seen that in another thread

F

F to pay respect, some cod game, some odd year.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

freegeek :P 
but true. @LinusTech lcd vs crt vs oled ? vs (whats that other one called)

Perhaps that one

plus gsync, freesync, IPS

My monitor states LED IPS maybe LED is the one your thinking of

6 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

ooh yeah !
rip

update : 
Tech quicky also : 
un-rip

It possibly may not hurt to look back at these videos and revisit it with the same methods that they used in the Freesync v. GSync video. Though to be fair a CRT draws each "pixel" one at a time, so using a slow motion camera may actually yield higher results on the response time. However, you could probably have it be a full screen colour change, so that way the camera can see the "pixels" currently being scanned onto the screen and get the time for it to change that way.

Not actually the database software, just some furry. Vintage tech enthusiast, has more old tech than they know what to do with.

Main system: i5-4690k, 16GB DDR3, 2x120GB SSD, 2TB HDD, CD-ROM Drive (in 2017 lol), R9 270X 2GB, Windows 7

Laptop: MacBookPro9,1, i7-3615QM, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, GT650M 512MB, macOS 10.13

I appreciate all the input guys, but I did a lot of research before hand and I simply could not find a similar video out on the internet.

The absolute closest thing I could find was ONE very young dude hand testing a CRT vs an LCD on his Gamecube via Smash Bros, using his potato ~30FPS phone camera. He found the difference to be 3 whole frames, but these were very arbitrary, for example he started the clock when he deemed his GC button "fully pressed." It was nowhere near as perfect of a setup in Linus' GSync vs FreeSync vid.

And on a similar note, thank you for finding these old Linus videos, but they are the extreme TLDR versions of the questions at hand. These videos are practically general knowledge on 2/23/2018, not that they weren't a good and informative as ever watch.

On a final note, the original YT comment has over 200 likes in ~24 hours. Its on his most recent vid besides the LTX announcement. Feel free to show your support and like the comment over there!! :) I would be ecstatic to have my age old questioned answered with a perfect setup like Linus and his teams'. :)

Link:

1 hour ago, givingtnt said:

F to pay respect, some cod game, some odd year.

I might've seen it in some Batman game before...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16