Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Questions About LTX 2018? AMA.

Recommended Posts

@CPotter Could you guys do a meet up in the San Francisco Bay Area? I know that a lot of people would attend (after all, it would be less that an hour away from the heart of Silicon Valley). Most of those people are students that can't afford the money and/or time to travel to Canada.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-04-13 at 9:58 AM, CPotter said:

I want to say no but let me get back to you on that, follow up if I don't answer within the next few weeks. We've got the initial booth list planned and are now in the process of figuring out specifics and adding more booths as we go.

Did you figure this out?
Just want to make sure the stuff gets here in time if I need anything!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2018 at 8:03 PM, tp3208 said:

@CPotter Could you guys do a meet up in the San Francisco Bay Area? I know that a lot of people would attend (after all, it would be less that an hour away from the heart of Silicon Valley). Most of those people are students that can't afford the money and/or time to travel to Canada.

 Might be tricky as they are based in Vancouver and not the US


Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

(Planned upgrades: RTX 3070? RX 6700XT?)

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ | GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2PV | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 | Intel "UrFPSGon" HD Graphics 4600 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Spare Laptop (HP Elitebook 850 G2)/Gaming Laptop (Legion Y7000)/Old Server

Spoiler

Elitebook: i7 5500U | 8GB DDR3L-1333 | 500GB SAMSUNG 860 Evo | AMD R7 M260 (I found this in a garbage bin at the airport)

Legion: i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Old Server: FX8120 | ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | 8GB Chinese RAM | Radeon HD 5000 Series iGPU | 4TB HDD | 275GB SSD


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 9:03 PM, tp3208 said:

@CPotter Could you guys do a meet up in the San Francisco Bay Area? I know that a lot of people would attend (after all, it would be less that an hour away from the heart of Silicon Valley). Most of those people are students that can't afford the money and/or time to travel to Canada.

Wouldn't they have to apply for a U.S. job visa?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 7:24 PM, wade805 said:

If I am planning on going to LTX, and staying in Vancouver for a few extra days what are some things I can do? What are some recommendations for an American to experience in Canada? Recommendations in general? Thanks!

Loads of things. What do you like to do?

There isn't really anything in Canada that you don't have in some form in the US. Poutine might be something worth trying, though West coast poutine isn't quite the same as authentic Quebec poutine.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:55 PM, JustMATT said:

most of the tourism stuff is in downtown vancouver, traffic sucks there, if you like hiking theres a bunch of mountains if you wanna get in a car for a few hours, also stanley park is nice

There's loads of stuff on the North Shore as well. You can reach loads of mountains without hopping into a car, and a few hours is a massive over exaggeration.


Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

im not sure im exactly understanding the delidding booth.

 

I have a 7700k in my computer right now.

can I bring it and buy liquid metal at the booth and then y'all will help me delid my cpu and install it?

 

or do I need to buy the liquid metal and bring it?

 

or am I only going to be able to buy CPUs and liquid metal there to delid?

 

Thanks


cTurtle98 - Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k

COOLER: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Extreme S
MOBO: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (POP_OS)

GPU: MSI - GTX 1070

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

CASE: Thermaltake - Versa H26

cTurtle98 - Portable PC

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600

COOLER: NH-L9a-AM4

MOBO: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" (Manjaro)

SSD 3: PNY - CS1311 120 GB 2.5" (POP_OS)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC

PSU: HDPLEX 400 AC-DC DC-ATX Combo

CASE: NFC Skyreach 4 mini

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
21 hours ago, cTurtle98 said:

im not sure im exactly understanding the delidding booth.

 

I have a 7700k in my computer right now.

can I bring it and buy liquid metal at the booth and then y'all will help me delid my cpu and install it?

 

or do I need to buy the liquid metal and bring it?

 

or am I only going to be able to buy CPUs and liquid metal there to delid?

 

Thanks

We're going to be showing people how to delid their CPUs at LTX, and will have the tools to do it. We realized that if we did it and messed up that would be a big issue. :P 

Link to post
Share on other sites

are the LTX shirts you get if you get "Overlocked" tickets also made by designed by humans like the rest of your merch?

 

I really like the "Long tee" style they have because I'm 193cm tall and the normal shirt exposes my butcrack when I bend over

 

is it possible to get my "overclocked" TLX Swag shirt in the "long tee" style?

5b2b28a15b9f6_designedbyhumanslongtee.PNG.d75b9b99c7fd6b4f9170797a6fc17683.PNG


cTurtle98 - Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k

COOLER: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Extreme S
MOBO: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (POP_OS)

GPU: MSI - GTX 1070

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

CASE: Thermaltake - Versa H26

cTurtle98 - Portable PC

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600

COOLER: NH-L9a-AM4

MOBO: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" (Manjaro)

SSD 3: PNY - CS1311 120 GB 2.5" (POP_OS)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC

PSU: HDPLEX 400 AC-DC DC-ATX Combo

CASE: NFC Skyreach 4 mini

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, cTurtle98 said:

are the LTX shirts you get if you get "Overlocked" tickets also made by designed by humans like the rest of your merch?

 

I really like the "Long tee" style they have because I'm 193cm tall and the normal shirt exposes my butcrack when I bend over

 

is it possible to get my "overclocked" TLX Swag shirt in the "long tee" style?

5b2b28a15b9f6_designedbyhumanslongtee.PNG.d75b9b99c7fd6b4f9170797a6fc17683.PNG

Hey! No we're actually getting the LTX shirts made from a different vendor, you should just try on a few when you show up on the day of. We ordered extras so if a 2XL or XL fits better than a large (Or w.e), then we can make that work.

 

If I had a sample on hand I would gladly send a picture over, hopefully next week they'll all be here. :P 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, CPotter said:

We're going to be showing people how to delid their CPUs at LTX, and will have the tools to do it. We realized that if we did it and messed up that would be a big issue. :P 

do you know what replacement TIM will be being used at the delidding booth?

 

I remember in a video linus said something about needing to re-delid every little while to make sure the TIM hasent moved out of place but im not exactly sure what he meant

will we be taught how to "maintain" a delidded cpu?


cTurtle98 - Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k

COOLER: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Extreme S
MOBO: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (POP_OS)

GPU: MSI - GTX 1070

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

CASE: Thermaltake - Versa H26

cTurtle98 - Portable PC

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600

COOLER: NH-L9a-AM4

MOBO: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" (Manjaro)

SSD 3: PNY - CS1311 120 GB 2.5" (POP_OS)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC

PSU: HDPLEX 400 AC-DC DC-ATX Combo

CASE: NFC Skyreach 4 mini

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, cTurtle98 said:

do you know what replacement TIM will be being used at the delidding booth?

 

I remember in a video linus said something about needing to re-delid every little while to make sure the TIM hasent moved out of place but im not exactly sure what he meant

will we be taught how to "maintain" a delidded cpu?

Looping in @AlexTheGreatish, but I think we're still figuring that stuff out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cTurtle98 said:

do you know what replacement TIM will be being used at the delidding booth?

 

I remember in a video linus said something about needing to re-delid every little while to make sure the TIM hasent moved out of place but im not exactly sure what he meant

will we be taught how to "maintain" a delidded cpu?

I figured we would use TG Kyronaught, since it is longer lasting and doesn't have the potential for disaster like liquid metal.  We will have some Conductonaught and conformal coating on hand though if you are feeling adventurous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

May have been asked somewhere but I couldn't find an answer. Are we allowed to bring a camera w/ bag, and tripod?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, Dabeaker said:

May have been asked somewhere but I couldn't find an answer. Are we allowed to bring a camera w/ bag, and tripod?

Yeah of course!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Artifind trade.tf said:

asis it possible to edit my order for the ltx tickets? because i put the wrong shirt size.

-Owain 

as @CPotter said earlier...they have extras so probably not an issue

Link to post
Share on other sites

How is autographing going to work, if at all? Will there be a booth that Linus is going to attend for like an hour and we all just queue up with the things we want to autograph, or do we just find Linus around and ask him when he seems available?

 

Also- do you foresee us being able to talk to Linus or even shake his hand during the event? I'm going to assume there are over 10,000 There are 2,000 confirmed sold tickets or something to that end and believe it will be impossible with Linus being the center of attention, but just wanted to ask anyways.

 

Edit- also, how much money do you foresee all the LTX-exclusive swag costing in all for those who purchased the Overclocked tickets? (not including auctions of course :P). 


PC in Profile

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
59 minutes ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

How is autographing going to work, if at all? Will there be a booth that Linus is going to attend for like an hour and we all just queue up with the things we want to autograph, or do we just find Linus around and ask him when he seems available?

 

Also- do you foresee us being able to talk to Linus or even shake his hand during the event? I'm going to assume there are over 10,000 There are 2,000 confirmed sold tickets or something to that end and believe it will be impossible with Linus being the center of attention, but just wanted to ask anyways.

 

Edit- also, how much money do you foresee all the LTX-exclusive swag costing in all for those who purchased the Overclocked tickets? (not including auctions of course :P). 

There won't be a booth for Linus to be at but don't worry he'll be roaming the floor for the majority of the show. Don't be afraid to say hi to any of us and ask for an autograph or questions, or whatever. This event is supposed to be actually interactive, and not like those events where all the people that you want to meet are behind closed doors. :P 

 

How much money do I foresee the LTX swag costing for those who purchase the Overclocked tickets? None because the swag is included? I think I'm misunderstanding the question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CPotter said:

There won't be a booth for Linus to be at but don't worry he'll be roaming the floor for the majority of the show. Don't be afraid to say hi to any of us and ask for an autograph or questions, or whatever. This event is supposed to be actually interactive, and not like those events where all the people that you want to meet are behind closed doors. :P 

 

How much money do I foresee the LTX swag costing for those who purchase the Overclocked tickets? None because the swag is included? I think I'm misunderstanding the question.

My apologies on the poorly phrased question- I meant how much money should I carry to spend at the event, or rather- is there anything that would cost beyond the ticket- like participating in the case toss requiring a fee of sorts, or there being vendors selling merch or swag? 

 

Also, whew! I'm glad to hear that! I don't know why but I thought we'd only be able to "see" Linus, but he would be more of a talkshow personality infront of the camera for the event rather than meeting fans and whatnot; that takes a load off! 


PC in Profile

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

My apologies on the poorly phrased question- I meant how much money should I carry to spend at the event, or rather- is there anything that would cost beyond the ticket- like participating in the case toss requiring a fee of sorts, or there being vendors selling merch or swag? 

 

Also, whew! I'm glad to hear that! I don't know why but I thought we'd only be able to "see" Linus, but he would be more of a talkshow personality infront of the camera for the event rather than meeting fans and whatnot; that takes a load off! 

GOT IT. There's no fee for any activity and there will be tons of giveaways as incentives to do different things, plus a door raffle when you come in that we'll give to all attendees to win some cool prizes.

 

Aside from that, we'll have a silent auction featuring different projects and pieces from stuff LTT has done in the past (Full list coming next week once Linus finishes picking all the items :P), with the proceeds going to Extra Life.

 

There will be a few different shirt designs available to purchase (Cash/Credit) outside of the LTX one you get with your ticket, so that and food are the only things I can really think of that you might need money for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2018 at 11:55 AM, AlexTheGreatish said:

I figured we would use TG Kyronaught, since it is longer lasting and doesn't have the potential for disaster like liquid metal.  We will have some Conductonaught and conformal coating on hand though if you are feeling adventurous.

Im going to be doing a custom water cooling loop and might end up replacing my CPU/Chipset/RAM platform by getting an 8600k before LTX (that I hope to run at 5GHz) and if so was thinking of bringing it for delidding. I dont recall if LTT has ever done a video literally comparing a stock CPU to a delided one with Kyronaught or Conductonaught. If i recall the 6700k deliding video yielded little improvement but in the the $1000 CPU video the results were near 20 degrees improvement on the 7700k from deliding and using Kryonaught. And the Ultimate compact Titan XP video wasnt really testing the performance of the liquid metal. The Liquid Metal Laptop cooling video also showed a 20* improvement. Do they both perform the same??


My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, S2000Gan said:

~snip~

Kryonaught normally performs about 4°ish worse than LM, so you're still looking at around a 15C improvement.  That said, I've had an 8600K at 5.1GHz with a Noctua air cooler and stock TIM so with a custom loop you can probably skip delidding and just go for it stock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Kryonaught normally performs about 4°ish worse than LM, so you're still looking at around a 15C improvement.  That said, I've had an 8600K at 5.1GHz with a Noctua air cooler and stock TIM so with a custom loop you can probably skip delidding and just go for it stock.

I have seen that the 8 series can manage 5ghz on air pretty easily and from what Ive seen, custom WC loops already do a much better job keeping CPUs closer to ambient. (I think due to the thermal mass of the water?)
Anyway, I guess my next question would be does deliding (with either LM or kyronaught) make much difference if you are using a custom WC loop? Or does it only really matter on cooling solutions with less heat sinking abilities? I can imagine that better TIM means better thermal conductivity regardless, but I can see how the TIM's rate of thermal conductivity would be less important in coolers that already stay cooler such as custom WC loops.


My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

Link to post
Share on other sites

@CPotter Plans seemed to have changed and my sister will be tagging along with my moms ticket since my mom really didnt want to go (she said 1. "she isnt in to tech and doesnt understand most of it" and 2. "Theres no beer garden") so how will i be able to get the "Mobile tickets" ?? (How will they be delivered to "my" phone, also do i need an app to store/use them?)


"Every program needs 2 things: 1: A dark theme... and 2: A 'Fuck off!' button, no exceptions!" -Me

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JustMATT said:

@CPotter Plans seemed to have changed and my sister will be tagging along with my moms ticket since my mom really didnt want to go (she said 1. "she isnt in to tech and doesnt understand most of it" and 2. "Theres no beer garden") so how will i be able to get the "Mobile tickets" ?? (How will they be delivered to "my" phone, also do i need an app to store/use them?)

they can be printed in PDF and viewed on a smartphone (or you could get physical tickets printed)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×