980 TI Hybrid rad fan replacement question

Xalindor
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
1 minute ago, Xalindor said:

@woodenmarker i was actually just trying that. i switched all the fans to standard. GPU went from 24C to 27C then I started mining to jack up the heat and it went up to 60C with no change to fan speed.

It could be that the fan controller on your motherboard isn't fully supported by SpeedFan yet. Relying on the graphics card fan header is probably your best option. 

ok so i have the EVGA 980TI Hybrid (the closed loop water cooled one) and i want to replace the stock fan on it with a new fan (already purchased dont try to talk me out of it) i bought this fan  

Here's the problem:

The cable that comes out of the video card is only a 3 pin male and the fan is a 4 pin Female. no problem right? well the shroud around the pins on the video card will not allow me to plug the fan into the video card. 

Temporary solution:

I have the fan plugged into the CHA_1 fan slot and then went into the bios and just made it always run 100% for now....obviously this is louder than I want it to be because it won't adjust for the needs of the video card. 

Just pick up something like this (can't say I'd recommend that one because you can probably find a single adapter for less), or if you're a cheap bastard just take and snip off the part of the connector coming from the card that blocks you from plugging the fan in.

Hell until you do one of those things you could probably just run the fan at 40% or so and still have temps that are nice.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

will I lose my PWM and be converted to DC if i Use something like that? Would the fan not run at full speed anyway? thx for the quick response. 

3 minutes ago, Xalindor said:

will I lose my PWM and be converted to DC if i Use something like that? Would the fan not run at full speed anyway? thx for the quick response. 

Well of course you're going to lose PWM control and go back to DC, though I've had motherboards which control them fine (and the fans were okay with it), though how the card/your fan will handle it I'm honestly unsure of.

Really you might as well try to find a cheap 3-pin to 4-pin adapter and if it works brilliant, otherwise you have a new toy to sit on your desk and fiddle with. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Does anyone know of a Software that can make CHA_1 be controlled by Output of GPU temp? I tried fanspeed but i cant seem to get it to work on windows 10 and others have reported similar issues. tried running in compatibility mode with several different OS to no avail. seems like a simple thing to do =-( 

23 minutes ago, Xalindor said:

There's no pwm from the 3pin fan header on the graphics card in the first place. For 3pin fans, a pwm signal that runs at 12v will result in 100% speed. 

If you plug a 4pin fan onto the 3pin graphics card fan header, you get the same dc control as you would when plugging in a 3pin fan. 

14 minutes ago, Xalindor said:

Does anyone know of a Software that can make CHA_1 be controlled by Output of GPU temp? I tried fanspeed but i cant seem to get it to work on windows 10 and others have reported similar issues. tried running in compatibility mode with several different OS to no avail. seems like a simple thing to do =-( 

The fan header on the graphics card already follows a fan curve reacting to the water temps. People who want a quieter fan tend to replace the stock fan with something slower.

Is SpeedFan not starting up?

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

People who want a quieter fan tend to replace the stock fan with something slower.

Not really after a quieter fan i just don't want it running at 100% all the time.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is SpeedFan not starting up?

No it starts and gives the correct readings but any changes i make to the speed of the fan does not actually make the change. followed along a video doing this exact set up so im sure I did it right. 

5 minutes ago, Xalindor said:

Not really after a quieter fan i just don't want it running at 100% all the time.

No it starts and gives the correct readings but any changes i make to the speed of the fan does not actually make the change. followed along a video doing this exact set up so im sure I did it right. 

Why don't you want it running at 100% if noise isn't an issue?

What settings have you tried in SpeedFan? What video were you following?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker Would 100% constant up time not damage the fan over time? also it is a little bit loud at 100% I use my GPU to mine when not playing games (which honestly im usually playing games) that's when i would want it to spin up at max speed it is a little bit loud for gaming as i sit beside the tower. so i guess noise is a small issue but not the main concern. I would like for it to adjust with the needs of the heat of the GPU

this is the video i watched. yes i watched the whole thing but this was the part where i made changes

Just now, Xalindor said:

@WoodenMarker Would 100% constant up time not damage the fan over time? also it is a little bit loud at 100% I use my GPU to mine when not playing games (which honestly im usually playing games) that's when i would want it to spin up at max speed it is a little bit loud for gaming as i sit beside the tower. so i guess noise is a small issue but not the main concern. I would like for it to adjust with the needs of the heat of the GPU

No, it wouldn't damage it any more than normal wear from use. Fans are designed to run at 100%.

What SpeedFan settings have you tried and what video were you following?

@WoodenMarker

Good to know about damage on the fan. the video i was watching ( I edited it in probably after you posted) is below. I watched the whole video but this link will start you where i was following along. I set it to adjust at 55c ( never changed it to F as it says to do in vid) to 100% speed and i got no change. thinking i may have the wrong fan i adjusted all fans to go to 100% speed at 55c on vid card. started mining corsair link said card got up to 62c with no change in fan speed.

9 minutes ago, Xalindor said:

thinking i may have the wrong fan i adjusted all fans to go to 100% speed at 55c on vid card. started mining corsair link said card got up to 62c with no change in fan speed.

Double check to make sure that you're editing the settings for the correct fan by stopping the fan with your hand. The reading should change to 0rpm for the fan you're stopping. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Double check to make sure that you're editing the settings for the correct fan by stopping the fan with your hand. The reading should change to 0rpm for the fan you're stopping. 

I did. I'm positive i had the right fan. i was worried about damaging the fan doing that too lol but yea i did. i didnt stop it i dropped the speed way down but it changed on speedfan from 2500 RPM to about 1200 and when i let go it sped back up

2 minutes ago, Xalindor said:

I did. I'm positive i had the right fan. i was worried about damaging the fan doing that too lol but yea i did. i didnt stop it i dropped the speed way down but it changed on speedfan from 2500 RPM to about 1200 and when i let go it sped back up

Have you tried using the Temperatures and Speeds tab instead to control the fan? Setting the min/max value and enabling the Automatically Variated option in the Speeds tab and selecting the GPU temp in the Temperatures tab with your desired temperature should be enough to control the fan speed. I personally prefer this over the more complicated Advanced Fan Control option.

@WoodenMarker

This is the main page. i have the CHA_1 fan set at 100% in bios it is the SyS fan sitting at 2500 RPM (positive of that) 

image.png.a2eaa4d5505c0dce62efac694ab4a709.png

I then set the speeds like this. the rest are all default 0 min 100 max not variated

image.png.3acc98e3f1ca067aa89f8202117c2d1c.png

Took a wild guess here...this might be where the problem is but idk. does this look right to you?

image.png.4e7a616a42ea1d47dc88a183543a3136.png

2 minutes ago, Xalindor said:

Took a wild guess here...this might be where the problem is but idk. does this look right to you?

image.png.4e7a616a42ea1d47dc88a183543a3136.png

Have you set your desired temperature? It shows up at the bottom when you click on one of the Labels in the Temperatures tab. 

4 minutes ago, Xalindor said:

@WoodenMarkeryea sorry meant to post that in the picture

With the desired 46c target, the fan won't stop ramping up to 100% unless it's below 46c. You should raise the desired temp to a target that the card can stay at while the fan isn't at 100%.

What motherboard are you using?

Is Sys unselected for every other Label listed in the Temperatures tab?

1. 1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard are you using?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132565&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

2. 3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is Sys unselected for every other Label listed in the Temperatures tab?

Yes

The rest of my build

image.png.e21ae95f188f27d47f07354dc03e4bf9.png

Have you tried disabling the fan header in the motherboard settings or setting it back to Auto? Having it set to 100% could be conflicting with SpeedFan. 

@woodenmarker i was actually just trying that. i switched all the fans to standard. GPU went from 24C to 27C then I started mining to jack up the heat and it went up to 60C with no change to fan speed.

1 minute ago, Xalindor said:

It could be that the fan controller on your motherboard isn't fully supported by SpeedFan yet. Relying on the graphics card fan header is probably your best option. 

yea I'm thinking the same thing (mainly cause im tired of screwing with it). do you think it would be ok to trim the plastic around the shroud or should i get the adapter previously mentioned. i can only find them in a 4 pack and only need one Correction I found 1 for $7 or 4 for $8. thoughts?