What’s the best way to move my pc ?

Tommygun2929

I’m house sitting for my sister next week and I was wondering what would be the best way to move my pc with out damaging it 

Take out your GPU. Are you moving it yourself? If so, just be careful and it should be fine. If you don't have a heavy GPU you should be fine without removing it.

Hi, my name is Thomas. I enjoy helping people. Tag me @MyNameIsThomas if you need my help.

Put it in a box with tons and tons of Styrofoam peanuts and just ask a friend to drive you while you hold your box on your lap

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

3 minutes ago, MyNameIsThomas said:

Take out your GPU. Are you moving it yourself? If so, just be careful and it should be fine. If you don't have a heavy GPU you should be fine without removing it.

A GPU is relatively crash proof. The most important to remove is mechanical harddrive.

Unplug the harddrive and put it in a bubble wrap, keep it away from drops and shakes.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

A GPU is relatively crash proof. The most important to remove is mechanical harddrive.

Unplug the harddrive and put it in a bubble wrap, keep it away from drops and shakes.

Ehh, hard drives aren't too delicate. Trust me, I've done a lot to mechanical drives, and nothing broke them. A simple PC move won't hurt them. The GPU, if heavy enough, could damage the PCIe slot if set down roughly.

Hi, my name is Thomas. I enjoy helping people. Tag me @MyNameIsThomas if you need my help.

just remove your gpu, as people already stated and be carefull not to throw your case around. also be very carefull with moving if you got a big air cooler on there, best way then is to lay it ons its side and drive with a car

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Wrap it in blanket and tight the blankets with ribbons 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

23 minutes ago, MyNameIsThomas said:

Ehh, hard drives aren't too delicate. Trust me, I've done a lot to mechanical drives, and nothing broke them. A simple PC move won't hurt them. The GPU, if heavy enough, could damage the PCIe slot if set down roughly.

27 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Actually, if you look it up, there is a difference between how much force a HDD can withstand from when it is active and inactive. It's far more prone to damage when it is active then otherwise.

Ive moved mine quite a few times with no issues, and it's heavy as shit with 3 radiators in it!

niSl213.jpg

xDxD

You will be fine, just secure it so the GPU sits upright (aka case on its side) so it doesn't strain the PCIE port 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

26 minutes ago, MyNameIsThomas said:

Have it your way. I personally will never transport a harddrive without any protections.

The data is more valuable than the simple hdd.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

If you still have the box and packing material that your case/computer came in, use that. As for the GPU, it really depends. One of them-thar new fangled high-end GPU's with 47 fans and 26 pounds of heatsink should be removed so as to not unduly stress the slot it is in. If it is water cooled and you don't want to semi-disassemble the PC, you should try to find some blocks of styrofoam to support the innards.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

3 hours ago, Tommygun2929 said:

I’m house sitting for my sister next week and I was wondering what would be the best way to move my pc with out damaging it 

Like, is it just a short drive? Or are you shipping it somewhere? If it's just a short drive, lay it down in your back seat so it doesn't move around too much, should be fine that way.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Here's a good example by our good... well past friends at NCIX. rip them. 

The best practice is to just remove everything that is bulky and has the chance to break off like CPU heatsinks, radiators, GPUs,  etc. Stuff like drives and smaller expansion cards are fine as long as they are screwed in properly. With 4 screws, there's pretty much no chance of your drives moving. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If it's in a car, try to make sure it doesn't move around too much

Also try and remove gpu and anything not too secured ( like large cpu coolers, radiators, etc.)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

11 hours ago, MyNameIsThomas said:

Ehh, hard drives aren't too delicate. Trust me, I've done a lot to mechanical drives, and nothing broke them. A simple PC move won't hurt them.

Ive actually thrown one across a parking lot just to prove that exact point.

if the drive isnt spinning, it can take a little abuse. i still generally suggest not dropping it, but even so, itll be fine.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I chuck mine in the back of my ute no problems mate. 

16 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Have it your way. I personally will never transport a harddrive without any protections.

The data is more valuable than the simple hdd.

If the data is that precious, i'd rather be safe than sorry and leave that drive at home to begin with :)

Besides that, most 2,5" external hard drives also have a solid case around them without any shock prevention. I have one and carry it with me all the time in my backpack. Works perfectly for over a year now. Hard drives are not that fragile.

19 hours ago, StefanPetter said:

If the data is that precious, i'd rather be safe than sorry and leave that drive at home to begin with :)

Besides that, most 2,5" external hard drives also have a solid case around them without any shock prevention. I have one and carry it with me all the time in my backpack. Works perfectly for over a year now. Hard drives are not that fragile.

external drive good only for transporting data. I wouldn't rely on them, as they break easily.

what i do for mission critical data is to store it in an offline drive.

Why are people so panicked about moving a computer....

I kept a full tower gaming pc in my 18 wheeler driving cross country. I had that system for 8 years before upgrading it and never lost anything on that system due to bouncing, shaking, vibrations nor anything else. That old system is now my home server setup and is still working flawlessly. 

My only opinion is to set the computer on its side panel so your gpu/cpu cooler is facing up towards the sky to keep the motherboard flat. Outside of that you shouldn't have much issue. If mine could handle a million miles of shaking and bouncing, you shouldn't have much issue. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

So long as you're not traveling shipping it somewhere, you won't need to do much to keep it safe.

"If you ain't first, you're last"