British members! A question.

dizmo

Have any of you ever rented out a single room in a flat?

If so, how did you find it? Do they usually have individual locks on the bedroom doors? How were your roommates? Do they usually turn out to be douche bags?

I'm thinking about moving to London, Manchester or another city for a year or so and renting just a room is a lot cheaper than going for a full apartment.

Out here, it's usually just renting a room in a house, no extra security.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I stayed in Hostels when in London and Manchester. But I'd assume renting a room in a flat would be like any metro city in E-town. Say $500-$600cdn converted to GBP. Course London will be more expensive at 500GBP/m

Also you could try

Couch Surfing website

https://www.sublet.com/state_rentals/unitedkingdom_rentals.asp

and of course AirBNB

Do you plan on working there?

When you land in the UK, best to have something setup, I remember airport officer questioned me at length because I did not have accomadation reserved and they thought I was going there to work, like WTF!!!! LOL But until I showed them the $3000 in EuroRail and BritRail tix they let me go. Have to write down accomodations on the customs paper. I just opened my trip book to some random hotel, and wrote it down in front of her.

Also be sure you got a 4 pin bank card password, I remember when I landed in Barcelona, my 5 pin code did not work, but in UK it was fine so needless to say I got into a bit of a problem at the Barcelona airport.

Damage Deposit

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/content/info-flatsharing/deposits-and-inventories/

30 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I stayed in Hostels when in London and Manchester. But I'd assume renting a room in a flat would be like any metro city in E-town. Say $500-$600cdn converted to GBP. Course London will be more expensive at 500GBP/m

Also you could try

Couch Surfing website

https://www.sublet.com/state_rentals/unitedkingdom_rentals.asp

and of course AirBNB

Do you plan on working there?

When you land in the UK, best to have something setup, I remember airport officer questioned me at length because I did not have accomadation reserved and they thought I was going there to work, like WTF!!!! LOL But until I showed them the $3000 in EuroRail and BritRail tix they let me go. Have to write down accomodations on the customs paper. I just opened my trip book to some random hotel, and wrote it down in front of her.

Also be sure you got a 4 pin bank card password, I remember when I landed in Barcelona, my 5 pin code did not work, but in UK it was fine so needless to say I got into a bit of a problem at the Barcelona airport.

Damage Deposit

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/content/info-flatsharing/deposits-and-inventories/

Haha, don't think I'd do couch surfing. I looked at Air BNB as I was planning on only going for a month or two, but after looking at the cost I might as well just go for a year. Average was $150/night. 

I might work, if I do it'd only be a few days a week. My grandfather was a British citizen so luckily I don't need a visa. Good to know about the PIN though! I'd probably use my credit card for pretty much everything and its pin is almost twice that. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yup I was in quite a bind in Spain with the PIN problem, Barcelona airport was quite a ways away, but RyanAir generally goes to obscure airports that are out of the way.

To tell the truth, I spent a month in the UK and it was more then enough to see the sites. If I were to do it again, I'd spend 3 to 4 weeks and would have planned it out more carefully beforehand, pound out Ireland while your at it.

If you have a choice, land in Crawley not London, Crawley is just south of London. So much more chillax! Grab an independantly owned hotel and get your sleep cycle turned around. I stayed at Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport South and partied at a pig roast, wedding perhaps.

image.thumb.png.6356214eb5b4e60fd6b128c798d0435b.png

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Have any of you ever rented out a single room in a flat?

If so, how did you find it? Do they usually have individual locks on the bedroom doors? How were your roommates? Do they usually turn out to be douche bags?

I'm thinking about moving to London, Manchester or another city for a year or so and renting just a room is a lot cheaper than going for a full apartment.

Out here, it's usually just renting a room in a house, no extra security.

I've rented during my university time. Everyone was nice. Everyone kept to themselves. Renting can get expensive if you do go and rent privately. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

Do they usually have individual locks on the bedroom doors?

Generally no however there are exceptions. 

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

How were your roommates? Do they usually turn out to be douche bags?

Depends, some can be very nice while some can be pretty obnoxious but the majority are usually pretty nice and unobtrusive. 

Source: Myself. Had to share flats with my mother, sister and a stranger or two when we first moved to Edinburgh as my mother came over as a postgrad student while we were also renting (a relatively expensive) apartment in Ichikawa.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, JayKay3000 said:

No wales or scotland. Best bits ;)

Endiborough(sp) but yeah maybe go north, not sure whats worth visiting up there, more castles and the famous golf course.

16 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Yup I was in quite a bind in Spain with the PIN problem, Barcelona airport was quite a ways away, but RyanAir generally goes to obscure airports that are out of the way.

To tell the truth, I spent a month in the UK and it was more then enough to see the sites. If I were to do it again, I'd spend 3 to 4 weeks and would have planned it out more carefully beforehand, pound out Ireland while your at it.

If you have a choice, land in Crawley not London, Crawley is just south of London. So much more chillax! Grab an independantly owned hotel and get your sleep cycle turned around. I stayed at Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport South and partied at a pig roast, wedding perhaps.

How's the public transit from Crawley? I imagine it's all pretty decent out there,

13 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

I've rented during my university time. Everyone was nice. Everyone kept to themselves. Renting can get expensive if you do go and rent privately. 

Yeah, from individuals instead of a rental agency you mean? That's likely how I'd do it, it's just...a little trickier and a lot more sketch.

6 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Oh another note, I'd prefer to go in the off tourist season!

September and August would be just shit crazy!

https://santorinidave.com/best-time-to-visit-london

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/peak-travel-england-3310.html

I'd probably head over in late spring, with the decent weather. That way I can explore and get a feel for the area without it pouring rain.

1 hour ago, JayKay3000 said:

No wales or scotland. Best bits ;)

I couldn't live there, but they'd definitely be places I'd visit!

33 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Generally no however there are exceptions. 

Depends, some can be very nice while some can be pretty obnoxious but the majority are usually pretty nice and unobtrusive. 

Source: Myself. Had to share flats with my mother, sister and a stranger or two when we first moved to Edinburgh as my mother came over as a postgrad student while we were also renting (a relatively expensive) apartment in Ichikawa.

Edinburgh looks really nice! It's on my list of places I want to see, but I don't think I could live there; which is unfortunate, as it looked pretty cheap.

What sites would you use to look for a roommate?

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Endiborough(sp) but yeah maybe go north, not sure whats worth visiting up there, more castles and the famous golf course.

Castles are something I definitely want to explore. Living there for a year or so would give me way more time to look around than just a month, and really, wouldn't end up costing much more, if anything could end up being cheaper as I could work at the same time :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

How's the public transit from Crawley? I imagine it's all pretty decent out there,

Yeah the train goes straight from Airport to Crawley city in 8 minutes, I looked last night :) on Google. Might be wiser to go straight south to Brighton because there is a rocky beach there.

The usual transit buses for sure. If you are tall, good luck walking up to the second decker!

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Edinburgh looks really nice! It's on my list of places I want to see

Oh man Edinburger ;) is awesome, good for a few days visit. I think theres a hostel there, I cant remember if I stayed in one or not.

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

The usual transit buses for sure. If you are tall, good luck walking up to the second decker!

If they have the new Wrightbus Streetdecks like we have up here in Newcastle then you will be surprised how much room there actually is. We even have tables, sockets and WiFi (that sometimes works) along with leather seats.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Just now, yolosnail said:

If they have the new Wrightbus Streetdecks like we have up here in Newcastle then you will be surprised how much room there actually is. We even have tables, sockets and WiFi (that sometimes works) along with leather seats.

Wow, when did that happen?

I remember trying to walk up and down the stairs when the bus was moving LOLOLOL Fun, and being 6'5" tall even funner!

Just now, Canada EH said:

Wow, when did that happen?

I remember trying to walk up and down the stairs when the bus was moving LOLOLOL Fun, and being 6'5" tall even funner!

We started getting the new buses in late 2014 I think and they've been introducing them onto more routes.

The tables even have games printed on them!IMG_20180201_170539.thumb.jpg.af0582e48968f3a152a9dd0e54980d0b.jpg

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

2 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

The tables

Those tables are gunna be scratched and vandalized I bet.

They got camera's on the bus, I'd bet they do.

Wifi and power outlet is great stuff!

Just now, Canada EH said:

Those tables are gunna be scratched and vandalized I bet.

They got camera's on the bus, I'd bet they do.

They replaced the tables late last year as the old ones were falling to bits, but the new ones seem to be built better than the old ones. The games are just stickers so I suppose they could just peel them off and replace them if anything were to happen.

I think on the upper deck alone there are about 8 cameras, which are needed when you consider the places the bus travels through. 

The other day a few drunks got on the bus, started drinking a bottle of Lambrini (a cheap wine) and ended up spilling half the bottle on the floor.

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

53 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

The other day a few drunks got on the bus, started drinking a bottle of Lambrini (a cheap wine) and ended up spilling half the bottle on the floor.

They know what they are doing LOL

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Yeah the train goes straight from Airport to Crawley city in 8 minutes, I looked last night :) on Google. Might be wiser to go straight south to Brighton because there is a rocky beach there.

Oh man Edinburger ;) is awesome, good for a few days visit. I think theres a hostel there, I cant remember if I stayed in one or not.

Haha, definitely won't have an issue with height. I have always wanted to go on a double decker bus though, so that'd be cool.

There's one out here for Strathcona County but I don't want to get stuck out there.

2 hours ago, yolosnail said:

We started getting the new buses in late 2014 I think and they've been introducing them onto more routes.

The tables even have games printed on them!IMG_20180201_170539.thumb.jpg.af0582e48968f3a152a9dd0e54980d0b.jpg

Haha, why do they need tables?! That's insane.

Are buses pretty frequent out there?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, definitely won't have an issue with height. I have always wanted to go on a double decker bus though, so that'd be cool.

There's one out here for Strathcona County but I don't want to get stuck out there.

Haha, why do they need tables?! That's insane.

Are buses pretty frequent out there?

I think they had the tables put in because the journey is around 80 minutes, which is quite long for the UK. But to be honest, I think it's just to say their buses are better than Arriva's (a competing bus company), which they are.

The frequency of the buses really depends on the location, if you are going into a city, there us usually a bus every 10 minutes, but if you go to a more rural area then they run every 30-60 minutes.

I have another picture of the upper deck I took before they changed the tables. The seats are way more comfortable than they look

IMG_20170720_173638.jpg

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

20 hours ago, dizmo said:

What sites would you use to look for a roommate?

To be honest, no idea as every city seems to have their own site (especially if you're a student). 

18 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Do you like beaches (that are freezing)? How about hills and hill walks? Or maybe visiting historical places? Or our very best attraction, unpredictable weather that changes from sun to rain then 15 mins later back to sun ect...? Come to Edinburgh then...

Although I've not been to one (no reason for me to go to one), there are indeed a couple of hostels in Edinburgh that costs around £10/night which all things considered isn't too bad? 

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

I have always wanted to go on a double decker bus though, so that'd be cool.

Double-decker buses are more common than single-decker buses in Edinburgh :P

On a side note, its about to snow again. Apparently we're getting 25-30cm of snow, which is still not enough to close school ;-; 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I rented a room in a random house before, it worked out ok because we were all young and just became friends...

Which was great for about 6 mos and then blew up dramatically when one girl couldn't pay her share of the rent and another guy decided to move to NWT to be a welder without telling anyone in advance. LOL I don't regret it, but I don't think Id ever share a place with random people again. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

15 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

I rented a room in a random house before, it worked out ok because we were all young and just became friends...

Which was great for about 6 mos and then blew up dramatically when one girl couldn't pay her share of the rent and another guy decided to move to NWT to be a welder without telling anyone in advance. LOL I don't regret it, but I don't think Id ever share a place with random people again. 

In a situation like that, just make sure you have a SEPARATE LEASE with the landlord where you are only responsible for your share. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

My entire upcoming house is just a bit under £70 per week.

Linus is my fetish.

4 hours ago, Bhav said:

My entire upcoming house is just a bit under £70 per week.

Yes but if I recall correctly, this is because the house is being provided as part of a low income and/or disability program.

And you likely don't own the house, just renting it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)